Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Badger of Basra posted:

End of MSQ spoilers:

I had been wanting some FFX stuff in this game for a while and now they put the whole finale in Zanarkand :v:

If so then I feel cheated because where the hell was Otherworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, he's a reoccurring summon in the series. He's actually an optional boss you can fight BEFORE the final boss of FFIX and has a special shop.

Yeah, I know he runs a synthesis shop in the actual game, but I heard that he was intended to be the original final boss before they settled on Necron.

The wiki seems to agree with wherever I heard that from.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

DrNutt posted:

Another dumb noob question: is there a guide out there for simplifying hot bars or useful macros on a class by class basis? I've done pretty well so far by keeping down to two hotbars for my WAR but I just hit 50 and I am at the point where it looks like I'm going to have to add a third hotbar or use macros or trimming some role stuff that maybe isn't as useful and I don't really know what I'm doing because I haven't really played any MMOs. I want to get things organized as well as I can on the road to level 80 so I don't get overwhelmed by hud creep.

Getting organized is an excellent idea, but do keep in mind that as you level you may find that certain abilities might want to move around.

As for hotbar/ability bloat, you have a few options, though I should mention that using macros isn't one of them, you really really should not use macros for combat stuff with a few scarce exceptions.

First, you could play with a controller. There's a learning curve, but a controller is viable and competitive in all aspects of the game and allows for 48 abilities at a moment's notice (+2 macros bound to the analog sticks)
Second, you could rebind keys that are near wasd such as E, Q, X, C, R, F, etc.
Third, and this is what I do, is I just have a total of 5(!) hotbars, using only small numbers that are easy to hit, but with various modifier key combinations. It may sound a bit ridiculous, but because I hate rebinding keys such as E and Q, I have regular bar, Ctrl-Bar, Alt Bar, Shift bar, and Alt-Shift Bar.

Regardless of what you do, as long as you assign abilities as you level and practice with them as you work to keep leveling, whatever you choose will become intuitive due to muscle memory.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

God I need to finish the story, these black boxes are driving me CRAZY.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

VideoGames posted:

I have just been linked to the following post:

Is it true? Did your toxx fail?

His toxx failed hard and as the strongest proponent of the theory, I demand blood for clan Nutsy!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Elentor posted:

It's also not the first time a summon is used as the final boss of a x.0 :v:

Thus far, it's alternated between optional super boss and summons. So you had Ultimate Weapon, then Knights of the Round, (both originally from FF7) then Shinryu (from FF5), and now Hades, also from FF7.

Strangely enough, most seem to be originating from FF7. :v:

We'd have a pretty consistent pattern of final boss and raid origins if it weren't for Omega, really.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Elentor posted:

It's also not the first time a summon is used as the final boss of a x.0 :v:

it's far from the first and definitely won't be the last time that i'll see a cool boss and say "that's a cool boss" and people will go "wow it's that boss from that other final fantasy game!!!" and i will have no idea what they're talking about :v:

omega was a hell of a confusing trip

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Could someone tell me about 5.0 White Mage? I'm trying to decide whether to level that or Scholar after Gunbreaker.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i ahvent played it yet but everything I've heard has been really positive.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CuddlyZombie posted:

Getting organized is an excellent idea, but do keep in mind that as you level you may find that certain abilities might want to move around.

As for hotbar/ability bloat, you have a few options, though I should mention that using macros isn't one of them, you really really should not use macros for combat stuff with a few scarce exceptions.

First, you could play with a controller. There's a learning curve, but a controller is viable and competitive in all aspects of the game and allows for 48 abilities at a moment's notice (+2 macros bound to the analog sticks)
Second, you could rebind keys that are near wasd such as E, Q, X, C, R, F, etc.
Third, and this is what I do, is I just have a total of 5(!) hotbars, using only small numbers that are easy to hit, but with various modifier key combinations. It may sound a bit ridiculous, but because I hate rebinding keys such as E and Q, I have regular bar, Ctrl-Bar, Alt Bar, Shift bar, and Alt-Shift Bar.

Regardless of what you do, as long as you assign abilities as you level and practice with them as you work to keep leveling, whatever you choose will become intuitive due to muscle memory.

Man, thanks for the advice! Is there a typical way you size/organize your hotbars in order to keep things manageable on your screen? I found that even with two I like them a lot better sized down to 90%

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Harrow posted:

Could someone tell me about 5.0 White Mage? I'm trying to decide whether to level that or Scholar after Gunbreaker.

I like it

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Not a fan of red mage AE now. poo poo builds too slow.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

Lilies have been changed into a system that's essentially reverse Aetherflow: you get one Lily every 30 seconds spent in combat, and a Lily can be spent on either Afflatus Solace (a single target heal equivalent to Cure II) or Afflatus Rapture (a PBAoE heal equivalent to Medica), both of which are instant cast spells. Whenever you spend a Lily after level 74, you get a Blood Lily charge, and after collecting three Blood Lily charges, you can execute Afflatus Misery, an instant cast, 900 potency AoE spell with diminishing returns on subsequent targets. Since your main spammable single-target damage spell (Glare) is 300 potency, this effectively means that you get a free, instant cast Cure II/Medica every 30 seconds that's "worth" a free cast of Glare. It's an elegant way of giving WHM a way to fit in more damage and have more mobility without wholesale copying the gimmicks of the other healers.

The system itself is a lot of fun. You're strictly rationed in how many oGCDs you can pump out in a minute between Dia, Regen, and Lilies, so each fight is about figuring out the optimal usage of every tool you have to both maintain your mobility and keep everyone alive without having to stop to hardcast. You have an insane ability to deal with sudden spikes in AoE damage: Confession now gives everyone in range a buff that triggers an additional 200 potency heal whenever they get hit by one of your GCD AoE heals (including AfSolace), so you can bring an entire party up to full faster than any other healer. Holy is comically cheap, and you will pretty much never run out of mana spamming it in dungeons. Your capstone action replaces Largesse and gives you a big ol' healing buff and a PBAoE damage reduction aura.

In short: all the things that WHM did well before have been amplified and their gameplay has been adjusted so that they're vastly smoother in execution and require a lot more thinking to optimize instead of simply rolling Regen and spamming Cure II/Medica when needed.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Harrow posted:

Granted, the career healers can clarify, but the breakdown seems to be:

SCH is still probably the most efficient tank healer, but their offensive abilities were clipped and the way some of the new and changed abilities work now is kind of Klutzy (can't aetherflow out of combat, dissapate is of questionable value)

WHM seems to be specializing in AoE healing and they still have a better spot of personal damage (holy does slightly less damage than Art of War, but it stuns and it's significantly more MP efficient, Glare is +20 potency over Broil and Dia does 120 potency on hit vs Biolysis having no up front damage, afflatus misery is kind of a beast). For what it's worth, WHMs also seem to be a bit more MP efficient overall and can hang with a longer fight and hard MP burns better

SCH is still a really good healer in 5.0 mind you, it just seems like they aren't far and away the objective best like they were for Stormblood. The loss of their offensive options also comes at a time when Square has specifically said they want to balance healers towards dedicating more time in groups actually healing. How that's going to work in practice come raids/savage/ect is yet to be seen.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 5, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Harrow posted:

In short, your heals are like a friendly train hitting someone, and your damage spells are like a regular train hitting someone. You have infinite mp.

You have a couple good oGCD healing abilities, but you're probably going to dip into GCD heals. Which is now ok, because your instant lily spells can handle the rest of your healing needs, and you mostly break even on damage with Afflatus Misery. Asylum has great synergy with your own abilities, and with the other healers since it affects healing actions, not just healing spells. Temperance is a great mitigation tool even if you don't need the healing bonus.

As usual, they're the undisputed champion of dungeons with Holy.

White Mage is good, and (imo) very likely going to get nerfed.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Givin posted:

Not a fan of red mage AE now. poo poo builds too slow.

Which is astonishing considering scatter spam could take forever if your procs were bad.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

White Mage is good, and (imo) very likely going to get nerfed.

I can't really see it. Their only major advantage over the other two is in burst AoE healing, and even that's not a massive gulf in a world of Recitation Indom + Fey Blessing/Horoscope Helios. SCH is still the king of single target burst healing, and AST can smooth over rough patches better with the number of regen effects they get (in addition to stronger versatility at level 80).

They're admittedly still King Hot poo poo of dungeons, but you can't really do much about that unless you're willing to excise Holy's stun for good. I'd rather they just bring Art of War's mana cost down to a reasonable level and re-add Celestial Opposition's stun to balance things out.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Meiteron posted:

(Still endgame/post-MSQ spoilers)

I freely confess this is probably going to be a hook for whenever the current overarching plot is resolved but in my head I'm tickled by the thought that it was just some random earthquakes in the wrong place to give some oversensitive ancient the jitters that sparked everything. They're like reality bending horses, thought of bees earthquakes and died.

Also I guess I prefer a general theme of "this ancient utopian society destroyed itself through ironic hubris" than I do a theme of "this ancient utopian society was destroyed by some ancient unnamed evil" and to be fair I think FF has gone with both methods in the past.

The lore snippets make it clear that creation magic requires an act of proper focus, you can't just accidentally think of something and have it manifest unless that thought occurs while you are concentrating on creating something.

That is, until the Doom of Amaurot which specifically caused creation magics to start triggering off stray thoughts.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Vermain posted:

I can't really see it. Their only major advantage over the other two is in burst AoE healing, and even that's not a massive gulf in a world of Recitation Indom + Fey Blessing/Horoscope Helios. SCH is still the king of single target burst healing, and AST can smooth over rough patches better with the number of regen effects they get (in addition to stronger versatility at level 80).

It might depend what savage actually looks like, but watching high end streams right for our current extremes, WHM are 2-2.5K dps higher than other healers, exceeding tanks in some cases, and easily keeping up with healing done.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

They're admittedly still King Hot poo poo of dungeons, but you can't really do much about that unless you're willing to excise Holy's stun for good. I'd rather they just bring Art of War's mana cost down to a reasonable level and re-add Celestial Opposition's stun to balance things out.

Whm does something like 3k dps over the other healers.

That’s kinda crazy.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It will probably depend what savage actually looks like, but watching high end streams right for our current extremes, WHM are 2-2.5K dps higher than other healers, exceeding tanks in some cases, and easily keeping up with healing done.

That's about what I was expecting, since their personal DPS has to be a lot higher than the other two healers to compensate for a lack of a party damage buff. Have they mathed out what Chain Stratagem/cards are contributing in terms of party DPS?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Something I'd really like to see for XIV is like, a listing/compilation of all the leitmotifs & musical quotes. I know they're all over the place, but I can't ever remember where I heard what from.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Vermain posted:

That's about what I was expecting, since their personal DPS has to be a lot higher than the other two healers to compensate for a lack of a party damage buff. Have they mathed out what Chain Stratagem/cards are contributing in terms of party DPS?

Not that much by a long shot.

Let's assume an astro can keep 2 people carded for the entire fight (they can't), he'd be providing 1500 dps to both people, so 2 people have +6%. In order for that to balance White Mage's personal dps advantage, their targets' base dps would have to be 25000 each. I've seen people hitting 11ish.

10% more crits for 15 seconds every 2 minutes (8% of the fight) also won't add up to an overall 3000dps.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 5, 2019

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

VideoGames posted:

Is it true? Did your toxx fail?

I have no idea? I guess so? I'm only level 77 and nothing has been revealed about it so far? So if it is a failure, it's most certainly an 11th hour reveal (which is stupid, storywise, but still a failure nonetheless).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Not that much by a long shot.

In that case, I can see them adjusting it down, yeah. I'd expect Dia to get hit first, since Glare/AfMisery have to march in potency lockstep to avoid perverse incentives. You could theoretically just adjust AfMisery's numbers down while keeping Glare's intact, but that'd make the system feel less like an investment and more like a tradeoff, and might end up creating weird scenarios where AfRapture is never used over Cure III if a fight lasts long enough.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Meiteron posted:

(Still endgame/post-MSQ spoilers)

I freely confess this is probably going to be a hook for whenever the current overarching plot is resolved but in my head I'm tickled by the thought that it was just some random earthquakes in the wrong place to give some oversensitive ancient the jitters that sparked everything. They're like reality bending horses, thought of bees earthquakes and died.

Also I guess I prefer a general theme of "this ancient utopian society destroyed itself through ironic hubris" than I do a theme of "this ancient utopian society was destroyed by some ancient unnamed evil" and to be fair I think FF has gone with both methods in the past.

i'm really curious about the place "across the sea" that they kept mentioning. that's where the tremors started i think? and they said they brought life forms from there back to Amaurot to experiment with or something.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

Can someone rap with me on BLM? I've not played it since ARR and I'm both trying to remember the flow and process the new stuff they get post 50 or got changed post expansion.

So Enocian is pretty much always going to be on so long as you don't let Astral Fire or Ice drop? The cooldown seems short enough that it seems like remembering to turn it back on is basically just an attention tax.

So for fighting packs of monsters, it seems like the rotation is (from no fire/ice aspect)Thunder 4 -> Freeze -> Enochian -> Blizzard 4 -> Flare away your Umbral Ices -> Despair -> manafont -> Despair -> Ether -> Despair -> Transpose -> repeat with Foul and thundercloud mixed in when those come up.

I think where I'm having issues is on single target. Fire & Blizzard 4 don't seem to switch aspects so I still need to cast Fire/Bliz 1 to keep astral fire/ice up and running?
You don't need to use Blizzard 4 after Freeze because it consumes all umbral hearts. You just want 1. Blizz 4 is only for your single-target rotation. And yes, you have to refresh Astral Fire by casting Fire 1 every three Fire 4s (Despair instead of the second one after 72, and you can use Sharpcast or random procs to swap Fire 3 in for second Fire 1 before 72).

Also don't forget Ley Lines, they're a big DPS boost.

Also as much as you can, save Sharpcast to Thunder 4 on groups. A proc'd T4 isn't quite as much damage as Flare but it's not far off.

Edit: You want to keep Enochian from dropping because that becomes important at 70 and also if you lose it before it comes off CD you screw yourself completely

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I can't beat the quest Will of the Moon, I feel like a stupid idiot. I get to phase 4 of the fight, defeat the two adds that spawn and then instantly die. I am playing as a dragoon, I don't know what to do at all.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hey I'm getting back into this after playing the first two expansions using a keyboard last year and decided that since I was re-learning everything that I should try switching to a controller as well. Does anyone have any general tips for doing this while jumping into like a level 70 character with 30000 abilities? Does the default config work ok or do people tend to use some custom config or macro?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kerrzhe posted:

i'm really curious about the place "across the sea" that they kept mentioning. that's where the tremors started i think? and they said they brought life forms from there back to Amaurot to experiment with or something.

Given that

Basic geography seems to be consistent across shards, I think that wherever the Doom of Amaurot started corresponds to the modern day New World.

Smells like a foundation for post-Ascian/post-Garlemald expansions

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

I said come in! posted:

I can't beat the quest Will of the Moon, I feel like a stupid idiot. I get to phase 4 of the fight, defeat the two adds that spawn and then instantly die. I am playing as a dragoon, I don't know what to do at all.

Instantly die like she finishes her cast, or instantly die like you just run out of gas at that point?

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Oxyclean posted:

Something I'd really like to see for XIV is like, a listing/compilation of all the leitmotifs & musical quotes. I know they're all over the place, but I can't ever remember where I heard what from.

An entire list of all the leitmotifs is beyond my effort in a break at work but I can get a little bit into how leitmotifs are organized in all the various pieces in the game. There are a few important ones which are constantly reused:

FFXIV: Realm Reborn has it's own unique motif which is most clearly portrayed in Torn From the Heavens. Here's a link to the song and you can hear it starting very early, at 0:35:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJSM4tAeEAA

There's obviously the crystal prelude and even the battle theme intro stuck in there too, which will show up everywhere.

The Realm Reborn motif shows up everywhere in 2.0 music; dungeons, boss fights, area zones. They also tend to call back to this when you're reaching some major climax in the story, even beyond 2.0. You can hear it by warping to Little Ala Mhigo and walking outside, if I'm remembering my zone music correctly; it shows up as part of the musical climax of Praetorium's theme, it shows up in Baelsar's Wall as the last dungeon of HW, and it shows up in the last fight against the Savage version of Omega (whose track is called simply From The Heavens and is an even more epic version of the linked song above).

Meanwhile if you're looking for leitmotifs in the later expansions it's pretty easy to track them. You want to listen to the trailer song (Heavensward, Stormblood, Shadowbringers) and you want to listen to the vocal credits song (Dragonsong, Revolutions, Tomorrow and Tomorrow respectively), because the primary leitmotifs of the expansion are usually most fully expressed there and spread between other songs in the expansion. SB also includes a third song - The Measure of His Reach, which as the Ala Mhigan anthem also shows up in many SB songs.

Stormblood's theme was maybe overused in it's expansion, but Revolutions sneaks into some surprising places - Nightbloom, the first phase for Tsukuyomi, does a dramatic rendition of it, appropriate for what's essentially the final plot thread of SB that gets tied off before they start work on building to Shadowbringers.

Additionally there are mini-motifs for every zone. Each expansion has had a very solid link between an area and the dungeons contained within the area. As an example, you might have a strong theme for an area like Azim Steppe, then a chiller piano version of the same theme for the Steppe's night time track, and then a more dramatic version for Bardam's Mettle, which is the dungeon located in the same area. You can see the same thing in effect for Yanxia, and while Yanxia has two dungeons they both interpret Yanxia's theme, in dramatically different ways; however, it's still the same leitmotif for both.

There are other notable songs that have strong thematic connections but maybe don't get spread too much into different tracks:

Thunderer was used for Behemoth and Twintania in 2.0 along with the fight against Lahabrea, but now it shows up mostly when you're dealing with Ascians in the story and it's pretty safe to consider it an Ascian theme. Meteor is a slower, menacing theme that was originally the theme of Nael van Darnus, and is referenced in the more active song, Tempest, when you fight Nael in second coil. Since then it's been expanded to more of the Garleans as a "this is a bad Garlean leader doing menacing things" theme. Garleans get a bunch of themes, actually - The Emperor's Wont, Steel Reason, Imperial Will, and Meteor, although there's not really a motif that connects any of them.

Alexander ended up with a pretty strong set of leitmotifs as well - all you need to do for this one is listen to Locus and Metal, which are either referenced or sampled directly for most of the other tracks.

The Four Lords primal fights in SB all had a motif between the three as well. Listen to Amatsu Kaze, Byakko's theme, when the first active vocal section kicks in at about 1:00, and note the melody. Now listen to Sunrise, Suzaku's theme, and at about 0:28 when the english lyrics kick in you can hear a rock guitar in the background playing the same motif! It also shows up in From the Dragon's Wake, Seiryu's theme, although it's a lot more subtle there - you have to listen to the shamisen (the kind of twangy japanese string instrument) and you can pick it up at certain places.

TL;DR: motifs can usually be organized first by expansion, and then by zone, with notable recurring pieces for specific adversaries and events. Start from expansion trailer themes and work outwards.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 5, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Is that the Sadu quest?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sarrisan posted:

Whm does something like 3k dps over the other healers.

That’s kinda crazy.

Actually, just out of curiosity, are there FFLogs of runs with disparities like this? I've been browsing through Ex Primal runs, and while AST looks like it's doing pretty miserable, I've seen runs with SCH's pulling around 5-5.3k. Dummy DPS for WHM is around 6.4k with a Ronkan weapon if you use Assize perfectly on rotation, so a 3k disparity seems strangely high, unless AfMisery/Assize is inflating the numbers on add phases.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So, as someone who hasn't started 5.0 yet, have they ever gone back and revisited the plot thread from 2.0 where there was an island that straight up vanished off the face of the earth? I remember that thread pretty vividly but I can't remember if there was any followup to that particular plot beat.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mister No posted:

Instantly die like she finishes her cast, or instantly die like you just run out of gas at that point?

I think there's a timer, if you don't beat the adds and then the boss you instantly die once she finishes her cast.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

DeathSandwich posted:

So, as someone who hasn't started 5.0 yet, have they ever gone back and revisited the plot thread from 2.0 where there was an island that straight up vanished off the face of the earth? I remember that thread pretty vividly but I can't remember if there was any followup to that particular plot beat.

That was the Eureka questline.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Is that the Sadu quest?

Yes, it's this one https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/The_Will_of_the_Moon

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

That was Eureka.

I know that when her meteor is about to come down, you gotta focus on her adds since she gets some kind of major defense buff otherwise. That killed me the first time I did that quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

DeathSandwich posted:

That whole thing is explained yes, in Eureka, from Stormblood.

Eureka is the island in question, the Isle of Val, which is where the Students of Baldesion were based. That island had a particularly dangerous primal beast contained inside, which was nearly impossible to destroy; a bunch of the options for containment failed and the failsafe mechanism was to dunk the entire island into the lifestream. It eventually reappeared and we do our regular hero thing and eventually kill both the Primal and all of it's sub-creations, in a quest line that was absolutely in no way worth the effort and we should have just let the loving thing get lose and eat the world, gently caress, at least I got a cool mount out of it but I digress.

All the people on the island at the time got dunked into the lifestream as well, much like how Thancred and Y'Shtola got dunked at the end of 2.5, but there was no one to pull them out in time, so they're all gone. Krile is the last surviving student.