Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Finally done with my jam submission. This one took awhile to complete so I'd really appreciate if people would try it out and give feedback on it!

The Switching Hour
Course ID: L17-0V6-PYF
Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: No

With this one I had a few goals in mind. I really wanted to make a Yoshi level but had no ideas for him back in MM1, and I also wanted to try to crack the night theme ghost house which often tends to have frustrating levels. I came up with a mechanic for the switches that's a little different from their usual purposes and used it to augment all of the level beats. I really wanted to make something with the darkness gimmick that felt like something Nintendo might do in a NSMB level so I tried to adhere to the Mario level design principles outlined in the OP or in videos like the ones from Ceave or Game Maker's Toolkit. I'm hoping for a normal difficulty although there are some traps that may catch people off guard but I did my best to allow players to react and to prime them for what was coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Lobster posted:

Haven't played the course in question yet but remember that the average player is Not Great At Mario and that the person who built the course is never the best judge of that course's difficulty.
This course is 5 days old already and has 44% clear rate, I feel confident in proclaiming its easiness. And honestly I felt confident in its easiness when making it too. I'm extremely conscious of what you pointed out and put a lot of effort into making sure I kept the course very safe (but fun.)

Plus, I wasn't even talking about that, but about how you've already proven you're pretty good at mario by getting the pink coins in the first place.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mega64 posted:

The later half of the stage felt dense with enemies, and if you miss a jump there should either be a way to get back up or a way to kill you instantly, since I fell in the water below a few times and spent time looking for a way up without finding it. Also, a minor nitpick, but there were a couple of cosmetic things that stood out, like a random yellow pipe in the room with the key, and one or two of the mushroom stalks not reaching the bottom.

This was my issue as well. Eventually I couldn't find the way forward, and the penalty for losing your cape is harsh.

That said, the stream went well and I played a lot of great levels today! Look forward to doing this some more!

Yeah essentially if you know the map for the Zelda dungeon, you know the way through.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

J-Spot posted:

I didn't play the first version but I thought the difficulty here was spot on. It's a pretty nice level and you had some thwomp configurations that I thought were neat.

Thank you so much for the kind words!

Castor Poe fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 5, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

J-Spot posted:

Finally done with my jam submission. This one took awhile to complete so I'd really appreciate if people would try it out and give feedback on it!

The Switching Hour
Course ID: L17-0V6-PYF
Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: No

With this one I had a few goals in mind. I really wanted to make a Yoshi level but had no ideas for him back in MM1, and I also wanted to try to crack the night theme ghost house which often tends to have frustrating levels. I came up with a mechanic for the switches that's a little different from their usual purposes and used it to augment all of the level beats. I really wanted to make something with the darkness gimmick that felt like something Nintendo might do in a NSMB level so I tried to adhere to the Mario level design principles outlined in the OP or in videos like the ones from Ceave or Game Maker's Toolkit. I'm hoping for a normal difficulty although there are some traps that may catch people off guard but I did my best to allow players to react and to prime them for what was coming.

Solid concept and I enjoyed how you changed thing up from time to time. My strategy was generally to stay and hit the on/off over and over again until I saw a window.

I had one problem with the level and I don't think it's on you: did they change the reaction to getting hit when on Yoshi? I ask because there's one jump that's a bit tight and I tried to take it an easy way with a sacrificial Yoshi only to lose all momentum when hit and plunge straight down. I recall you keeping at least some of your momentum when knocked off Yoshi but I might be wrong.

Maxxim
Mar 10, 2007

You're overcome by an indescribably odd sensation...!
Here's a very quick blitz level, a half hour time limit is a lot rougher than I thought. Rolled Desert. Required: Block, Enemies. Forbidden: Powerup, Gizmo

DalaranJ posted:

It's time for a trial Blitz run. Blitz 0.

Please provide feedback and the format of the blitz, should some of the items be removed from the random pull (like I don't know, Arrow Sign?), should everyone get enemies as required, should forbidden be removed?
I played through a few of the blitz levels and I found it them all to be quite diverse. I think it might be more interesting to compare if everyone had one required aspect in common, even non-rolled things like autoscroll or clear conditions. As for the forbidden category, I kind of forgot about it until the very end - there are just so many options that forbidding one or two things doesn't make a huge difference.

Control Volume posted:

Try the Switch: My dude this is a case study in things needing checkpoints.
The one person I had try it before uploading mentioned the checkpoint seemed unnecessary so I removed it at the last moment. In retrospect that was probably a bad idea. Thanks for trying it!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Maxxim posted:

The one person I had try it before uploading mentioned the checkpoint seemed unnecessary so I removed it at the last moment. In retrospect that was probably a bad idea. Thanks for trying it!

When in doubt, keep the checkpoint.

In regards to the rest of your post which I deleted out, I, too, have found the Blitz levels (and my quasi-Blitz level) to be very diverse. Is there going to be a toggle in Random Acts for Blitzes or just jams?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Okay, I finished tweeting out all the levels from the first Jam. The first Blitz will start shortly, and I'll announce Jam 2 on Sunday.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

Okay, I finished tweeting out all the levels from the first Jam. The first Blitz will start shortly, and I'll announce Jam 2 on Sunday.

You didn't play mine. :smith:

The Lobster posted:

Is there going to be a toggle in Random Acts for Blitzes?

Yup, although not right now.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

What flags a level as multiplayer? My new one has had 3 multiplayer matches out of 4 total plays, but my first level never had any.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

lunar detritus posted:

You didn't play mine. :smith:

I did play yours. Did you update it? The updated ones disappeared from my downloads list and that's how I was remembering the list of which ones I needed to tweet. I just tweeted it out now.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

NofrikinfuN posted:

What flags a level as multiplayer? My new one has had 3 multiplayer matches out of 4 total plays, but my first level never had any.

I'm not entirely sure but I don't think anything above normal difficulty will ever come up in versus mode.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The Ascent
84C-S6P-5JG

Made a level based around claws and tracks and climbing, and is probably the level Ive playtested the most out of any Mario Maker level Ive made. Autoscrollers are hard to tune lol.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

J-Spot posted:

I'm not entirely sure but I don't think anything above normal difficulty will ever come up in versus mode.

I ran into one requiring pixel perfect jumping with a 0% clear rate in multiplayer earlier. And looking it up to see the clear rate right now, I also see that it somehow got in with 0 likes as well.

Maybe it's me, but a level with "multiplayer versus" in its title shouldn't have a ton of gatekeeper sections requiring one person to give up the lead position so everyone else can progress. At least I shoved someone into a muncher while I was waiting for another player to go off and fetch a POW block.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 6, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Is my game bugged? I completed all jobs as Mario but didn't get (Mii Outfits)the robot hat or outfit.

I've checked my completed levels against online guides and they seem to match up. Also I didn't use any of Luigi's spare parts during any of the levels.

Also, for quick checking, in story mode I'm showing 20 pages of completed levels, with the 20th page populated with 5 level slots. All other pages have room for 6 level slots.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 6, 2019

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

GreatGreen posted:

Is my game bugged? I completed all jobs as Mario but didn't get (Mii Outfits)the robot hat or outfit.

I've checked my completed levels against online guides and they seem to match up. Also I didn't use any of Luigi's spare parts during any of the levels.

Also, for quick checking, in story mode I have 20 pages of completed levels, with the 20th page populated with 5 level slots. All other pages have room for 6 level slots.

did you get the bird's shirt.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Control Volume posted:

The Ascent
84C-S6P-5JG

Made a level based around claws and tracks and climbing, and is probably the level Ive playtested the most out of any Mario Maker level Ive made. Autoscrollers are hard to tune lol.
This was impressive. Very well polished and hits that sweet spot of not too difficult but feels rewarding to play. I imagine playtesting was rough since you probably had to start from the bottom each time you wanted to test a section.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

DalaranJ posted:

Think mine got missed
https://twitter.com/tayter_swift/status/1146638975915814912?s=21

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Whoa, I haven't even played this one. Okay, I'll check it out.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

J-Spot posted:

This was impressive. Very well polished and hits that sweet spot of not too difficult but feels rewarding to play. I imagine playtesting was rough since you probably had to start from the bottom each time you wanted to test a section.

It was pretty tedious lol, especially since starting from the ground in course maker puts you lower than starting from a pipe, so I would have to warp in and out to reset the camera to the right height. Thankfully respawning at a checkpoint puts the camera in the same place, otherwise it would have really hosed the locations I put them in

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Heavy Sigh posted:

did you get the bird's shirt.

I've beaten his 2 challenges but I don't have his shirt, no. Looks like I should though if I've beaten those challenges, right?

edit: Nevermind! Just looked it up and found out what I'm supposed to do. That one was really hidden, dang.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 6, 2019

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Control Volume posted:

The Ascent
84C-S6P-5JG

Only 4 plays and 2 likes?? This was so good it felt like it could’ve been part of Super Mario World. I need to stop browsing the “Hot” section of levels and just stick with this thread for now.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

DalaranJ posted:

I tweeted most of the Jam levels.

I'm glad you liked mine!

Is there a way to have a globally loaded shell continually hit an on/off switch without it ever being on screen any more? I feel like my cannon device at the beginning is ugly and I don't want people to see it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Now you can look for Blitz levels!

There's also a heart if you like a level so much you want to like it in-game and on the site.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 6, 2019

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

My last two levels were a bit too hard it seems, I hope this one is a little more tolerable

https://twitter.com/JunpeiHyde/status/1147295315742953472

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Good Sphere posted:

Only 4 plays and 2 likes?? This was so good it felt like it could’ve been part of Super Mario World. I need to stop browsing the “Hot” section of levels and just stick with this thread for now.

By browsing the Hot and Popular tabs you're just feeding the Mario-Industrial complex.

I liked the early rooms, but the one after the checkpoint I just could not get to align. It took more luck than skill to finally get the shell down to the bottom for me.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Play my course! BTF-D64-71G

I just got the new world record. :smug:

Also, great work!

Random Stranger posted:

By browsing the Hot and Popular tabs you're just feeding the Mario-Industrial complex.

True! Down with capitalism!
Please play my course I posted

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 6, 2019

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Get to the Coliseum!
400-155-1SG

Don't let the name fool you, I just wanted to make a simple non challenging course. There's like one simple puzzle and an easy boss fight but it's mostly straightforward stuff.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Good Sphere posted:

Heck, thanks!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

The hot tab usually has levels with single digit plays though, it seems fine to browse for not just boosting the biggest boys

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Kicks the top rim off a pipe and warps into Random Acts Of Mario.

Sanctuary of the Peaceful Bombs (YYQ-D3X-HRG) by Otters: This is a truly great map and a great set of original ideas. One of the best creative claw courses. Very long but that lends itself to the concept, this is a huge and good one to explore.

Mario loots a swamp (CN0-133-RGF) by Snake Maze: Perfect short and sweet execution of the concept. Good set up for speed runners.

Wetlands Wanderer (KHQ-J25-PLF) by Ignites Memories: Pretty good, though the staked chain chomp at the end I could see being replaced by something less random.

Wet Chomps (7S9-0CQ-S6G) by Sharizard: A good underwater autoscroller! Uncanny!

Gentle Snowy Slopes (F3F-G25-3KF) by Mega64: A good classic snow level. I like it!

October Sky (VP1-H37-4NF) by Drinkfist: I love the transition to space! A good autoscroller concept and a fun twist.

Big Bob-bombs On The Summit (TRV-H1M-X1H) by Haschel Cedricson: A good concept and good execution. The bomb tossing timing puzzle at the start could be made easier, it really stands out against the rest of the stage.

Pipe Up (Re-Up) (85K-34R-7MF) by ThisIsACoolGuy: A pretty good vertical pipe level. Felt familiar, World 7 was always one of my top 3 in SMB3.

Unleash the Madlads (5H1-JXH-7LG) by absolutely anything: I liked the back and forth stage design and platforming more than the lads themselves!

Mobile Artillery (3XV-RTY-86G) by Sam Faust: Time to pack it up and go home boys. Creative gimmick of the year right here. I was able to running jump over the first tilted artillery jump after the checkpoint. And the second! As well as the first spike stretch at the start. I must say that as much as I like this level it can slow down and drag on badly, especially with any mistakes and each mistake being a death. Subtle single jump cuts might go a long way, as well as some power-ups and a redesign to accomodate them. Make forward progress achievable only via successful cannonball jumps which a Super Mushroom won't help with, but it lets Big Mario frantically dash back to safety to try again if he falls to the spikes.

Falling with style (QJP-SBJ-PFF) by Vlad3217: Consider designing a level around your idea.

Thwomp’s Frozen Library (M00-RHP-CWP) by LeafyOrb: :( Course not found.

Boom Boom's Fortress (27S-180-YNF) by Tykero: Is this the Sen's Fortress level? I think the Castle set would fit a lot better here vs going for rising poison to match one chamber as none of the other aspects match. I've said it before and I'll say it again, horizontal single tile jumps are dogshit and basically involve me asking Mario if he feels like responding to my controls today. Alright, that said this is an average level with some creative bits and a Kaizo section. It's not terrible, I'll give it a Like, I just think this is a good concept run stage and a version 2 tightened up would be a home run. The Thwomp chase is great excluding the single one tile jump. And hey, I get it, the spin jump usually gets through there. Usually. I'd remake this stage in Castle/Day tileset, condense the vertical section to one screen to avoid horizontal scroll and add a transition pipe to the Thwomp chase so you can get that horizontal space you need for it back on the overworld, which as far as I can tell you didn't use. You can use a magic door instead of a pipe to get us to the goal after the chase. And if it's a Dark Souls reference can we really skip the boss fight? Is there room for an Angry Sun section? There's a lot of 1-2 screen chambers you can get out of a level if you wall them off properly!

Da Dip (93B-QW5-BNG) by Overbite: This should be a technically sound and good hard stage. But I hate playing it, probably because there's so many imprecise things to deal with here. Porcupuffer, creeper hitboxes, waiting for the first creeper to gently caress off and let me pass after a successful hit, sometimes he doesn't, a long imprecise vertical climbing section with blinky blocks where each failure resets my progress. I actually gave this one a pass after the first creeper reset four times in a row on a fresh attempt from the start. That's probably the 3D world tileset's fault but I'd hope it'd come up in testing and be corrected.

Moving platforms in the clouds (3S2-D5H-GSG) by Junpei Hyde: A great challenging platforming map! Thanks!

Lagerbier (BN6-D7Y-V0H) by beerinator: Yup. Exactly what it says on the tin.

火車 (MQ5-4RF-6XG) by Dieting Hippo: Nods.

Infiltrate Bowser's Airship (H0T-H7J-XSG) by DorianGravy: Pretty good! Wouldn't be out of place in SMB3 itself.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

dudeness posted:

Get to the Coliseum!
400-155-1SG

Don't let the name fool you, I just wanted to make a simple non challenging course. There's like one simple puzzle and an easy boss fight but it's mostly straightforward stuff.

First clear! :mario:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

lunar detritus posted:

Now you can look for Blitz levels!

There's also a heart if you like a level so much you want to like it in-game and on the site.

Eeee, that's my level!

When I get home I'm going to have to go through the Blitz tag. Love the idea of a heart - will it create a playlist so we can go back and enjoy those levels again, or will there be a way to see which levels goons like best?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1147302463755698182

Okay, let's talk Blitz rules. I have no idea what the best Blitz rules are going to be so they'll probably be different every single time. Pay attention. Then if you think this week's rules are dumb complain about what you didn't like so I can change it next week.

Here are the rules that will stay the same:
You have 24 hours to make a Blitz course from when I first post the rules for the Blitz. This should give a chance for everyone in the world to participate.
When you start upload your course in 30 minutes or less (this is really, really fast BTW), or in an hour or less (this is more like it), or in two hours or less (if you're a real perfectionist like me)

Blitz 1 rules
The theme object is: Ice blocks
The other allowed objects are,
Blocks: Pipes, Mushroom Platforms
Powerups: Coins, Super Mushroom, Unique Powerup (Mega Mushroom/Racoon Leaf/Cape Feather/Propeller Mushroom/Cat Bell)
Enemies: Chain Chomp, Fish Bone, Bowser Jr., Monty Mole
Gizmos: Doors, Snake Blocks

You cannot use any other items. (There are exactly twelve of them so go ahead and pin them all to your top bar before starting.)

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I made a course for multiplayer versus. Not terribly hard, but it's designed with the idea that loving over your friends in multiplayer is funny. Also, while it uses on/off switches, they will never completely impede your progress, they just alter the way certain things will act.

Perry Bommer In: An On/Off Thing
6TN-WVR-CVG

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Hey DalaranJ I'm not very bright and didn't see that there's a separate submission on the RAOM site itself, can I get this p-switch themed stage in on the Jam tweets?

P!-Pipe Panic!!
4B1-50P-84G

A map for the other switch type! Pay attention to coins!!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Random Stranger posted:

I liked the early rooms, but the one after the checkpoint I just could not get to align. It took more luck than skill to finally get the shell down to the bottom for me.

It's possible to time it right, but yeah I know what you mean. Here's the solution, but it's not great if ya gotta explain it :/

https://twitter.com/tayter_swift/status/1147301936586088448?s=21

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Doomykins posted:

Hey DalaranJ I'm not very bright and didn't see that there's a separate submission on the RAOM site itself, can I get this p-switch themed stage in on the Jam tweets?

P!-Pipe Panic!!
4B1-50P-84G

A map for the other switch type! Pay attention to coins!!

Yeah, I can get it in a bit, maybe tomorrow.

Tayter Swift posted:

It's possible to time it right, but yeah I know what you mean. Here's the solution, but it's not great if ya gotta explain it :/

https://twitter.com/tayter_swift/status/1147301936586088448?s=21

I used the fact that you can stop a moving shell by hitting it with your shelmet to solve the puzzle.

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

Ok, I've tested and tested and tested my jam level, and I think it's really ready:

Hit the Switch, Get Rich:

007-G0J-RTF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

DalaranJ posted:

I used the fact that you can stop a moving shell by hitting it with your shelmet to solve the puzzle.

That'll do it.

(e: never mind, figured something out)

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 6, 2019