Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rhonne posted:

So he has the hands of his dad, mom, grandpa, and grandma, but not of his sister. She's totally still alive.

No he has her hands too. He even referred to one of the destroyed ones as belonging to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh, boy, and we thought Shiggy already got his power-up.

Azmund
Mar 27, 2010
So this dude is Toguro?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Azmund posted:

So this dude is Toguro?

More like a combination of the Hulk and Venom.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
So his "stress" quirk is less about hulking out and more about the ability to generate and control extra body mass whose quantity and power depends on level of stress? If so, that's a pretty neat and flexible power, that's far cooler than yet another flavor of super-strength.

Honestly, I quite like Re-Destro. Smug libertarian shitheads make for amusing villains.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 5, 2019

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If the truth that Shigaraki remembers is he killed his family without really giving a poo poo because they annoyed him with their kindness and his amnesia was coping with the knowledge he was an inherently evil person I will be incredibly disappointed.

Like Gran Torino said I think he is way past the point of redemption and that would be pretty lame to do now but well he was always a sociopath would be similarly not great.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 5, 2019

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am like almost certain that Shigaraki wanted his family to tell him that "You can be a hero."

'

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That would be a neat twist.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so the real purpose of this whole arc was to destroy all of shigaraki's extra hands so horikoshi didn't have to kill himself drawing them anymore

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Lt. Lizard posted:

Smug libertarian shitheads make for amusing villains.

Fully agreed.

Nanomachines, son!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

so the real purpose of this whole arc was to destroy all of shigaraki's extra hands so horikoshi didn't have to kill himself drawing them anymore

Genius

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm kinda ready for this arc to be over. It's been good but it's lasting too long for me.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I like this comic a lot but a lot of the arcs from the Yakuza and onward have really felt like they've overstayed their welcome a little instead of being snappier. The only one I think was paced really well lately was the Gentle/School Festival one and that was because it was two smaller stories that loosely crossed paths.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hey, you know what would be hosed up and kinda interesting?

So, we've kinda half-guessed that the hands are fake / symbolic, because why else would the hands be perfectly preserved and nothing else? So if All for One is having Shiggy wear fake hands anyway to control him emotionally, what if he just went ahead and slipped some tech in there, too? Almost certainly a tracking device, but maybe other crazy stuff, like power dampeners or something. Maybe Shiggy isn't 'conveniently' having a huge power upgrade due to stress. Maybe he was 'supposed' to have better control all along, but AfO arranged it so he was slightly crippled and thus more dependent on AfO.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bobulus posted:

Hey, you know what would be hosed up and kinda interesting?

So, we've kinda half-guessed that the hands are fake / symbolic, because why else would the hands be perfectly preserved and nothing else? So if All for One is having Shiggy wear fake hands anyway to control him emotionally, what if he just went ahead and slipped some tech in there, too? Almost certainly a tracking device, but maybe other crazy stuff, like power dampeners or something. Maybe Shiggy isn't 'conveniently' having a huge power upgrade due to stress. Maybe he was 'supposed' to have better control all along, but AfO arranged it so he was slightly crippled and thus more dependent on AfO.

Him dressing Shiggy up in the hands, metaphorical or not, of his family already does that without betraying the actually interesting bit of AfO that he seems to genuinely want Shiggy to succeed him thus fulfilling the whole Dark Mirror of Deku and All Might.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I like this arc a lot and so far I think it's a good length. I was worried the arrival of Gigantomachia would be delayed too long but I'm happy with how this has played out.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Honestly, I quite like Re-Destro. Smug libertarian shitheads make for amusing villains.
He's the charisma that keeps this arc afloat between excellent spreads from Hori.

Radish posted:

I like this comic a lot but a lot of the arcs from the Yakuza and onward have really felt like they've overstayed their welcome a little instead of being snappier. The only one I think was paced really well lately was the Gentle/School Festival one and that was because it was two smaller stories that loosely crossed paths.
This arc seems well paced to me, I'd agree on arcs like the class exams or Yakuza being too long. I also think the Endeavor sub-arc was brief and to the point.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That's fair I totally forgot about the Endeavor mini plot.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Him dressing Shiggy up in the hands, metaphorical or not, of his family already does that without betraying the actually interesting bit of AfO that he seems to genuinely want Shiggy to succeed him thus fulfilling the whole Dark Mirror of Deku and All Might.

I mean, it could also be the other way, shonen training-by-wearing-weights-constantly. Metaphorical weights.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
We had a one week break, right? Maybe that messed with the flow

I havent really noticed though

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, this arc has been if anything maybe a bit fast in its pacing. Not enough to be a problem, but just enough to be noticeable. And that's mostly to its credit, both in terms of this being a side-story focusing on the League more, and also to prevent the arc dragging way too long.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah this arc feels brisk compared to overhaul

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
My big worry about the next arc is that it'll be another lower stakes cooldown arc after all the craziness that's happening in this one. While those arcs aren't necessarily bad(the Gentle/School Festival arc is one of my favorites), the kids haven't been involved in any real high stakes arcs since Overhaul.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rhonne posted:

My big worry about the next arc is that it'll be another lower stakes cooldown arc after all the craziness that's happening in this one. While those arcs aren't necessarily bad(the Gentle/School Festival arc is one of my favorites), the kids haven't been involved in any real high stakes arcs since Overhaul.

That's been the pattern since the start. Intro (Danger), U.A. Beginnings Arc (Low Stakes), U.S.J. Arc (Danger), U.A. Sports Festival Arc (Low Stakes), Vs. Hero Killer Arc (Danger), End of Term Exams Arc (Low Stakes), Forest Training Camp and Hideout Raid Arc (Danger), Provisional Hero License Exam Arc (Low Stakes), Shie Hassaikai Arc (Danger) Remedial Course and U.A. School Festival Arc (Low Stakes), Pro Hero Arc (Danger), Joint Training Arc (Low Stakes), Meta Liberation Army Arc (Danger).

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Every chapter this arc has had cool stuff happening. But I doubt that with Giganto on the scene, it´ll go on for much longer.
I´m glad Redestro didn´t get clowned immediately. He looked legit terrifying this chapter.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

That's been the pattern since the start. Intro (Danger), U.A. Beginnings Arc (Low Stakes), U.S.J. Arc (Danger), U.A. Sports Festival Arc (Low Stakes), Vs. Hero Killer Arc (Danger), End of Term Exams Arc (Low Stakes), Forest Training Camp and Hideout Raid Arc (Danger), Provisional Hero License Exam Arc (Low Stakes), Shie Hassaikai Arc (Danger) Remedial Course and U.A. School Festival Arc (Low Stakes), Pro Hero Arc (Danger), Joint Training Arc (Low Stakes), Meta Liberation Army Arc (Danger).

I understand that, it's just that that last few danger arcs have involved cutting away to different characters while the kids have just been doing low stakes stuff for a while. I want the kids out there doing hero stuff you know?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rhonne posted:

I understand that, it's just that that last few danger arcs have involved cutting away to different characters while the kids have just been doing low stakes stuff for a while. I want the kids out there doing hero stuff you know?
The thing is that the kids are still in school and their internships are over, so you have to contrive a reason to put them in the way of either the League or someone else dangerous. If the kids cross the League's path they'll either have to be outside of UA doing stuff, or the League comes to them and Round 3 is probably going to be the final round.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I dunno it seemed the kids were trying to murder the hell out of each other in that class vs class exhibition.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Listen. Yes, we've arrived at the fireworks factory but perhaps there's another fireworks factory and I'd like to see them go to that one too.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I hope the kids have an actual thing to do next since it's been a really long time since we've seen them in real action

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

I hope the kids have an actual thing to do next since it's been a really long time since we've seen them in real action

They should have a second school festival.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

I forget, how long has it been now since we last saw Midoriya and the others in this manga?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 5, 2019

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Aizawa should take the kids out to the woods to beat each other up again.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope Mirio gets attacked.

Also that this is finally the point where they can just send the kids training with quirkbears.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If all else fails, we can at least rely on the old "Deku accidentally runs into a dangerous villain while minding his own business" method.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The very last page of this chapter outright says "The end draws near."

Larryb posted:

I forget, how long has it been now since we last saw Midoriya and the others in this manga?

That page where Shigaraki talks about destroying everything, technically.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I hope we stick with the League of Villains for the rest of the comic.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I hope I become a villain

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Re Destro has probably one of the coolest quirks since it meshes perfectly with his personality and it's both comedic (he stores his stress as energy, that's why he's always so calm and he's a big CEO!) while being frightening in application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
horikoshi seems a lot more comfortable expressively drawing his villains than he does most of the heroes, the ways shiggy and re-destro warp and smear in this chapter were excellent

even that no-name spiky villain that kirishima fought in the start of the yakuza arc was drawn with the kind of manic malice you'd see in soul eater or something