Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

asecondduck posted:

After you're done with The Prydain Chronicles, read The Dark Is Rising Sequence. That's another series that's begging for a miniseries adaptation.

Oh God I remember those books from Middle School! AAAARGH!!! I didn't read much back then so I missed out on it. If we're doing book recs, Septimus Heap was good light and goofy fun for the early books that I read. I really don't get this obsession with making movies of these. Stuff like the failures of City of Embers and Mortal Engines just feel much more at home as season mini-series of the books rather than as movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Avalerion posted:

They seem to be going with a more natural looking red (unless they’ll cgi it later). I dig the look.

This looks awesome. The Little Mermaid holds a special place in my heart, and I have a lot of nostalgia and good memories tied into the movie. I haven't seen any of the live action remakes because I just don't feel like giving Disney my time or money with what are pretty obvious cash grabs. However, I'm on the fence with this one. It'll depend on what they do with the rest of the casting and music, but Halle looks and sounds like Ariel.

Disney, please don't cast Will Smith as Sebastian.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Bogus Adventure posted:

This looks awesome. The Little Mermaid holds a special place in my heart, and I have a lot of nostalgia and good memories tied into the movie. I haven't seen any of the live action remakes because I just don't feel like giving Disney my time or money with what are pretty obvious cash grabs. However, I'm on the fence with this one. It'll depend on what they do with the rest of the casting and music, but Halle looks and sounds like Ariel.

Disney, please don't cast Will Smith as Sebastian.

Please, we all know he would be cast as Flounder, due to his prior experience playing an animated fish.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
John Mulaney as Flounder.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mz6tw5Zddg

Tituss should definitely be Ursula. I mean...come on. :v:

In all seriousness, Halle from chloe x halle as Ariel is loving awesome.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

One of the pieces of music that instantly triggers a flurry of emotions within me is the opening theme to Little Mermaid, when we first go on underwater. Hopefully Menken comes back for this one too.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

stratofarius posted:

One of the pieces of music that instantly triggers a flurry of emotions within me is the opening theme to Little Mermaid, when we first go on underwater. Hopefully Menken comes back for this one too.

:agreed:

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
At first I heard about Ariel being black in the new Little Mermaid and didn't give a poo poo, but then I realized it's ANOTHER instance of making redheads black in an adaptation. Why do they always, always do that

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Its Coke posted:

At first I heard about Ariel being black in the new Little Mermaid and didn't give a poo poo, but then I realized it's ANOTHER instance of making redheads black in an adaptation. Why do they always, always do that

It's happened like twice and the original versions still exist chillax

The most important thing is Halle can SING and is expressive while doing so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4MajGTp1x8

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Koalas March posted:

It's happened like twice and the original versions still exist chillax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4MajGTp1x8

Oh man. You don't know

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Ignore the Ariana Grande which I assume was included as a joke

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Koalas March posted:

This can't be emphasized enough.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
She's literally playing Ariel, she is absolutely going to 100% have red hair in the movie. Also

Its Coke posted:

Oh man. You don't know

:holymoley: @ this post

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Its Coke posted:

Oh man. You don't know

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

Whoa

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Its Coke posted:

Nonsense and what I assume are alt-right memes

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

They're not alt-right memes people just noticed that always happens and it's funny

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Its Coke posted:

Ignore the Ariana Grande which I assume was included as a joke

a hilarious joke

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

DC Murderverse posted:

a hilarious joke

Don't you mean hairlarious? :imunfunny:

I'll see myself out.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Its Coke posted:

Why do they always, always do that
Red hair is shorthand for Exotic or Independant Personality and it's a lazy way of getting that across to people.

See also: Asian character? Give them a hilight streak in their hair to show how totally cool they are.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Its Coke posted:

Oh man. You don't know

hmm i think this is a dogwhistle

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

FilthyImp posted:

Red hair is shorthand for Exotic or Independant Personality and it's a lazy way of getting that across to people.

See also: Asian character? Give them a hilight streak in their hair to show how totally cool they are.

That makes sense. Another plausible explanation I heard is that redheaded characters are usually in secondary/support roles and Hollywood is more comfortable making those roles POC in adaptations than one of the primary characters

Looper posted:

hmm i think this is a dogwhistle

I think you're stupid

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It's definitely used by some chuds as a meme trying to make it some anti-redhead prejudice thing, but it's also a funny pattern once you notice it.

FilthyImp posted:

Visual aid:

That one legit makes me a bit uneasy, there's the "we need that extra edge to make the character convincingly cool" factor but I can't ignore the tiny possibility that it's also "also we can't tell them apart without that LOL".

Its Coke posted:

That makes sense. Another plausible explanation I heard is that redheaded characters are usually in secondary/support roles and Hollywood is more comfortable making those roles POC in adaptations than one of the primary characters

That and fiction greatly exaggerates how common redheads are to begin with, so if anything it's a return to the mean. OTOH I don't recall the last time I saw a redhead character adapted into a role played by a non-Black PoC.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
I'm surprised there are people who earnestly believe in anti-redhead prejudice in 2019 but I suppose that must be the same kind of people who like talking about how "the Irish were slaves"

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Its Coke posted:

I'm surprised there are people who earnestly believe in anti-redhead prejudice in 2019 but I suppose that must be the same kind of people who like talking about how "the Irish were slaves"

Counterpoint: my dad's jokes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

YaketySass posted:

Visual aid:

I can't ignore the tiny possibility that it's also "also we can't tell them apart without that LOL".
Exactly the image ai was thinking of (Though Wolverine's Yukiko dyed all her hair so it's more an anime like thing, maybe?)

I'm really certain it's one part "lol asians so similar" and one part "this isn't your Mathlete/Model Minority character, they have personality and edge "

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

FilthyImp posted:

Exactly the image ai was thinking of (Though Wolverine's Yukiko dyed all her hair so it's more an anime like thing, maybe?)

I'm really certain it's one part "lol asians so similar" and one part "this isn't your Mathlete/Model Minority character, they have personality and edge "

Looking at the image, now I CAN'T not think it's that now.

Wally only bothered me since they comepletey did away with something in the neighborhood of 60 plus years of characterization and development and some of the best comics stuff DC had ever produced along with his Korean wife, his two biracial kids, and an actually interesting and likeable supporting cast. Starfire more because I don't think Anna Diop quite fit the look to me and I've always seen Starfire as more latino or asian likely due to the animated series.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it's also important to note that it's not 'asian characters' but more specifically 'asian female characters', so part of that recurring feature is in service of nerd boners who are into counterculture aesthetics

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The best member of the Big Hero 6 team was Honey Lemon anyway

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Brother Entropy posted:

it's also important to note that it's not 'asian characters' but more specifically 'asian female characters', so part of that recurring feature is in service of nerd boners who are into counterculture aesthetics

"a part" = "all of"

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

doomrider7 posted:

Starfire more because I don't think Anna Diop quite fit the look to me and I've always seen Starfire as more latino or asian likely due to the animated series.

Kid me was very confused and thought Raven's red gem on her forehead was a bindi and meant that her and her mother were somehow of Indian descent.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Pick posted:

"a part" = "all of"

i wanted to be charitable because i can't imagine anyone getting a boner over juniper lee

i know i'm wrong but let me have this

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Macaluso posted:

The best member of the Big Hero 6 team was Honey Lemon anyway

100% Agreed

Latina chemistry hero loving ruled, and I want a movie about her

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is it because our culture assumes Asian women are mousey, boring math nerds if there aren’t visual signifiers to assure us that they’re actually really edgy and cool?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

General Dog posted:

Is it because our culture assumes Asian women are mousey, boring math nerds if there aren’t visual signifiers to assure us that they’re actually really edgy and cool?

that's definitely part of it too, it's a very 'she's not like the other girls' vibe, asian or otherwise. dyed hair means they probably like cool stuff boys like like skateboarding or computer hacking or going to metal concerts

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

General Dog posted:

That or proper lady types.

Being extra charitable, it may also be for the sake of a striking contrast between black hair and purple/red. There may be a bit of general aping of dated cyberpunk aesthetics too, which had to be both very punk and very weeb.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Brother Entropy posted:

I saw a great video about this phenomenon along with the trope of Manic Pixie Girlfriend being replaced with the sort of edgy, cool, hipster girl who has piercings and dyed hair and whatnot all being sort of catering to nerd fantasies and whatnot.

YaketySass posted:

Kid me was very confused and thought Raven's red gem on her forehead was a bindi and meant that her and her mother were somehow of Indian descent.

Thank God I wasn't the only on who thought that. To be fair, they were apparently kept safe in a Buddhist monastery of some kind by monks so it's likely intentional.

Bogus Adventure posted:

100% Agreed

Latina chemistry hero loving ruled, and I want a movie about her

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Just look at this poo poo, she needs her own movie

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

:cool::respek::cool:

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Brother Entropy posted:

*Sips tea and nods wisely* Ah, part of the same phenomenon as the goth gf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

BH6 got a cartoon, right? how'd that turn out?