Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Shy posted:

Vienna trip report

hail satan

That's a good representation of my angry crotch last weekend in Vienna during the heat wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Is Italy big on cash like Germany is? I'm starting to plan for a trip there this fall and I wasn't sure how much if any cash I should plan on having for the first couple of days before I have a chance to hit up an ATM.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Thoguh posted:

Is Italy big on cash like Germany is? I'm starting to plan for a trip there this fall and I wasn't sure how much if any cash I should plan on having for the first couple of days before I have a chance to hit up an ATM.

It'a way more card friendly than Germany but it's still generally a good idea to have cash

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thoguh posted:

I'll just say there are plenty of places in Germany that do not accept any sort of cards. Mostly small stores and food trucks and stuff, but sometimes bigger places like restaurants are also cash-only.

There are plenty of ATMs around so you won't need to bring a huge amount but yeah, make sure you always have cash with you.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
There are ATMs in the arrivals hall at every major airport so unless you’re super paranoid I wouldn’t worry about bringing cash with you. Just avoid the ones marked ATM in huge letters and with yellow branding, they’re everywhere in Europe and give you extremely lovely rates. Stick to bank machines, not private ones, and look for Telebanco or Bancomat signage - ATM is an English term.

And whenever an ATM or credit card terminal asks you to choose between your home currency and the local currency, always pick the local currency. The “convenience” of being charged in your local currency is also the convenience of a super lovely rate.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

webmeister posted:

There's a few posts about Budapest in the last page or two, so maybe check those out. It's a pretty good city for partying, though I dunno so much about Vienna. Typical day trips from Vienna will include Schonbrunn Palace, Bratislava, and maybe parts of the Danube.

Thanks. Our plan is to start in Prague, then go to Vienna and the Budapest. Is it easy/cheap to get from one city to another?
It will be my first time using AirBnB. Any suggestions/experiences?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

webmeister posted:

Stick to bank machines, not private ones

Yes, this: look for banks rather than ATMs, almost every bank will have one but it's often inside

Fwiw Italy had the worst ATMs I've ever seen anywhere, I could get money out of with my Finnish card from maybe one in four of them (France has the best ones)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Spermando posted:

Thanks. Our plan is to start in Prague, then go to Vienna and the Budapest. Is it easy/cheap to get from one city to another?

Trains are pretty good, though costs vary by country. If you're just looking for the cheapest option, Flixbus are pretty popular though I haven't personally used them.

For Airbnb you've just got to be a bit more careful when researching. Make sure you read the reviews fully - people who are actually happy with their experience will write a proper review (paragraph or so), whereas someone who wasn't that happy but doesn't want to cause trouble will still rate it five stars but just leave a review like "thanks" or "nice stay". Read carefully what is and isn't included in the property. And above all, remember that these are usually just people trying to make a few dollars on the side. Don't go into it expecting Hilton levels of service. You'll also need to let them know what time you plan on arriving (and obviously try and stick to that).

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Ras Het posted:

Yes, this: look for banks rather than ATMs, almost every bank will have one but it's often inside

Fwiw Italy had the worst ATMs I've ever seen anywhere, I could get money out of with my Finnish card from maybe one in four of them (France has the best ones)

Weird, I don't think I ever had that problem (using an Australian card in any country). I was referring more to the fees - it's probably 50/50 whether a bank will charge a foreign card fee, whereas it's 100% that a private ATM will charge a fee.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

webmeister posted:

Weird, I don't think I ever had that problem (using an Australian card in any country). I was referring more to the fees - it's probably 50/50 whether a bank will charge a foreign card fee, whereas it's 100% that a private ATM will charge a fee.

Yeah I know, I meant that a bizarre number of Italian ATMs were empty, broken or only in Italian and wouldn't serve me for reasons I couldn't understand

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Ah, the Indian style of ATMs. At least in India they have 4-5 in a little cluster and usually a security guard who's happy to tell you which one is working today

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

webmeister posted:

Ah, the Indian style of ATMs. At least in India they have 4-5 in a little cluster and usually a security guard who's happy to tell you which one is working today

My immediate thought was Mexican-style but I suppose it's a pretty common problem everywhere.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

webmeister posted:

Trains are pretty good, though costs vary by country. If you're just looking for the cheapest option, Flixbus are pretty popular though I haven't personally used them.

For Airbnb you've just got to be a bit more careful when researching. Make sure you read the reviews fully - people who are actually happy with their experience will write a proper review (paragraph or so), whereas someone who wasn't that happy but doesn't want to cause trouble will still rate it five stars but just leave a review like "thanks" or "nice stay". Read carefully what is and isn't included in the property. And above all, remember that these are usually just people trying to make a few dollars on the side. Don't go into it expecting Hilton levels of service. You'll also need to let them know what time you plan on arriving (and obviously try and stick to that).

Ok, thanks for the tip. We'll be spending a full three days in one of the cities. Which one has more things to see?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Depends on what you’re looking for; Vienna has better museums while Prague and Budapest have better nightlife. All three are great places with heaps to do.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Ras Het posted:

Yeah I know, I meant that a bizarre number of Italian ATMs were empty, broken or only in Italian and wouldn't serve me for reasons I couldn't understand

This is extremely on-brand for Italy

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I never had problems finding a working, non euronet, atm within 10 minutes but there’s a lot of places that don’t take cards. Stuff like mom and pop foodshops made sense to me, but metros and major tourist attractions like the bus to vesuvius less so

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Spermando posted:

I love AirBnB, but as webmeister said you have to get used to it. I think the main thing is that you typically have to say your expected arrival time and really stick to it. Some AirBnBs have self check-in, but IME it's not that common. You also will really, really want data roaming so that you can communicate easily with your host without having to find a cafe with WiFi or whatever.

The other irritatingly-commonly-missing thing from AirBnBs is that a fair number of them don't have hand soap or shampoo. If you're into cooking, most AirBnBs also have a limited to non-existent supply of cooking basics like spices and oil.

I've never had a bad experience except one time (out of 60-ish different stays) that I was cancelled on with < 24 hours notice, but I do check user reviews pretty extensively and almost never go anywhere with fewer than 2 or 3 reviews, and if they have 2 or 3 reviews I check into the reviewers to make sure they're not fake accounts.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Going to Ireland for a week (36 hours in Dublin, then about five-six days driving around), and have 2-3 days at the end to go someplace else. Our options are Edinburgh, London, Paris Amsterdam, or Barcelona. The wife and I were in Paris and London in 2018, but my mom and sister (who are coming with us) have never been to either. We could possibly do something else as well (Prague? Monaco? Lisbon?) so we're open to other suggestions

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edinburgh is nice and you could reach it by ferry from Belfast maybe. I'd definitely pick it over London, which is a crappy town.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
"we're spending a week in Ireland, but also we want to go to Barcelona and Prague, that's reasonable right?"

Shibawanko posted:

Edinburgh is nice and you could reach it by ferry from Belfast maybe. I'd definitely pick it over London, which is a crappy town.

not sure I'd be wanting to take too much advice from someone who apparently doesn't know which coast Edinburgh is on

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

I wouldn't go to Amsterdam or Barcelona if you have other options, since both places are actively discouraging tourists from coming at the moment

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Omne posted:

Going to Ireland for a week (36 hours in Dublin, then about five-six days driving around), and have 2-3 days at the end to go someplace else. Our options are Edinburgh, London, Paris Amsterdam, or Barcelona. The wife and I were in Paris and London in 2018, but my mom and sister (who are coming with us) have never been to either. We could possibly do something else as well (Prague? Monaco? Lisbon?) so we're open to other suggestions

TBH if you're only spending 6 days in Ireland and you have 2-3 additional days you should probably spend those additional 2-3 days in Ireland. 5-6 days driving around is enough to do Ring of Kerry, Cliffs of Moher, and Galway on a rushed schedule, so either add those 2-3 days to make it less rushed, or add in northern Ireland if you're really into having rushed vacations. FWIW I spent 11 days in Ireland in May and we did Land in Cork -> Ring of Kerry + Dingle -> Cliffs of Moher -> Galway (+ Aran + Connemara) -> Kilkenny (& environs) -> Newgrange -> Dublin and it was a pretty busy 11 days. If you really need to get out for some reason, it kind of depends on where you're going to after the trip. I'd cross-reference the direct flight schedules from Dublin https://www.flightsfrom.com/DUB

with wherever it is that you need to get to afterwards. In any case I wouldn't restrict yourselves too much with geography; it's not like the 1 hour flight from Dublin to Edinburgh is really that much more trouble than the 2 hour flight from Dublin to Copenhagen, and if you have a direct flight from CPH back home, and you don't from Edinburgh, then flying to CPH will save you travel time and hassle anyway.

I think only spending 6-7 days in Ireland and then 2-3 days somewhere else is needlessly rushed, but It more depends on how getting back from Edinburgh / Nice to your hometown is. I think I'd only recommend going somewhere outside of Ireland if you anyway have to do a connecting flight somewhere in Europe, in which case I'd pick anywhere that has the cheapest direct flight home. Google Flights makes that easy to figure out.

Getting from Dublin to Scotland by anything other than plane will take a full day of travel, which the poster doesn't have, unless travelling by train and ferry is the point of enjoyment (not to mention the flight will be much cheaper than train + ferry).

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Perhaps hop over to Nova Scotia afterwards. They're on the same sea as Ireland so you can probably go by ferry, and I heard it's nice.

Yes, if you need to do that, pick the place with the best plane connections. You can go almost anywhere in Europe in 3 hours, the time of the flight is a bigger factor than how far it is.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 9, 2019

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I will add: don’t go to Monaco unless you’re in the area. It’s a half day of entertainment unless you’re super rich or a gambler (or both)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

"we're spending a week in Ireland, but also we want to go to Barcelona and Prague, that's reasonable right?"

not sure I'd be wanting to take too much advice from someone who apparently doesn't know which coast Edinburgh is on

I lived there. There's still a ferry from Belfast to Glasgow right? Take the ferry, then the train or bus.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

I lived there. There's still a ferry from Belfast to Glasgow right? Take the ferry, then the train or bus.

There's a ferry from Belfast to Cairnryan, then you've got to get to Stranraer to get the train to Edinburgh via Glasgow. It's not impossible to do it that way but I've no idea why anyone would when flying will be half the time and a third of the cost.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

No -- the ferry goes like 100 km southwest of Glasgow in the middle of nowhere at Cairnryan. Even if it went to Glasgow though it'd practically be insane for going Dublin -> Edinburgh unless you're going with your own personal car, or unless you really care about CO2 emissions and yet still travel intercontinentally for a week just for fun. Mainly for the reasons quoted above (it's way more expensive, more complicated, and takes more time).

Sometimes there are sail & rail passes that make it only 2-3x more expensive, but it's way more of a hassle than flying if you're going between Dublin and Edinburgh. My wife looked into getting to London from Dublin a couple months ago and it was unfortunately pretty "lol" to do it any way except by plane.

E: Unless you were mainly responding to the fact that Edinburgh is on the far coast, but that it doesn't really matter since it's not like that part of Scotland is particularly wide. That's fair, but it's still a PITA. The only decent ferries for people without their own cars is if you're going from Dublin->Liverpool or Belfast->Liverpool. Everything else either ridiculously more expensive than flying, goes ridiculously inconvenient tiny villages, is way more expensive, or usually all three.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 9, 2019

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Ras Het posted:

I wouldn't go to Amsterdam or Barcelona if you have other options, since both places are actively discouraging tourists from coming at the moment

it's not working

(for Barcelona at least. I assume the same about Amsterdam)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Both Barcelona and Amsterdam will be perfectly fine to visit once the British gently caress off out of the EU so we can charge them exorbitant visa fees. Until then, avoid from spring to autumn.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
The way to visit Amsterdam: go to a less crazy place like Rotterdam or Utrecht or Almere or Purmerend, then take the train into Amsterdam if you want to see stuff there. Everything is close together here, you can be in Amsterdam from many places in less than 45 mins, and the train fare will be much cheaper than the insane lodging prices they charge in Amsterdam. Trains run every 10 or 15 or 20 minutes and trains run the whole night, though less frequently, from major places (not Purmerend and Almere). And also take the opportunity to see other places besides Amsterdam because there is much more to see. Sure, the Rijksmuseum and Anne Frank House are only in Amsterdam, but you can find canals or coffeeshops or even red light districts everywhere, but without the crowds and tourist traps.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Saladman posted:

No -- the ferry goes like 100 km southwest of Glasgow in the middle of nowhere at Cairnryan. Even if it went to Glasgow though it'd practically be insane for going Dublin -> Edinburgh unless you're going with your own personal car, or unless you really care about CO2 emissions and yet still travel intercontinentally for a week just for fun. Mainly for the reasons quoted above (it's way more expensive, more complicated, and takes more time).

Sometimes there are sail & rail passes that make it only 2-3x more expensive, but it's way more of a hassle than flying if you're going between Dublin and Edinburgh. My wife looked into getting to London from Dublin a couple months ago and it was unfortunately pretty "lol" to do it any way except by plane.

E: Unless you were mainly responding to the fact that Edinburgh is on the far coast, but that it doesn't really matter since it's not like that part of Scotland is particularly wide. That's fair, but it's still a PITA. The only decent ferries for people without their own cars is if you're going from Dublin->Liverpool or Belfast->Liverpool. Everything else either ridiculously more expensive than flying, goes ridiculously inconvenient tiny villages, is way more expensive, or usually all three.

Oh I didn't know it went to a village. Yeah then it sucks, it if had gone straight to Glasgow it would have been trivial to go to Edinburgh from there.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Julio Cruz posted:

Not what I was getting at, but thanks.

Just looked at the planned itinerary. Two nights in Dublin, two nights in Cork, two nights in Killarney, a night in Galway and a night in Achill. We can use the 2-3 extra days to spend more time there, but I'm struggling a bit to fill the rest of the time. We've got a full day to drive from Dublin to Cork, another day to hang out there/Old Midleton/Cobh, a day to drive to Killarney, a day to do Ring of Kerry related stuff, Cliffs of Moher on the full day drive to Galway, and then drive up to Achill so mom can feel as one with her ancestors. The plan after that was to fly out from Shannon to somewhere else for 2-3 nights then back to the US. I figured London would be easiest, Edinburgh is a very short flight, the others were more aspirational/something different. We can certainly stay longer

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

With those full day drives I think you're somewhat overestimating how much time it takes to get around Ireland by car, even if you take the back roads.

Dingle is nice, and you should certainly drive around Connemara a bit. The landscape is bewildering. For other cities, I've only been to London and Edinburgh out of your options, and not that I particularly dislike London but I'd go for Edinburgh, it's not even a contest.

uh, unless you're going in August, cause you'll be hosed for accomodation, and it's probably gonna be a bit of a waste if you don't go specifically to visit the festival.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Might be a bit of a stretch, but any advice for spending 4 days in Moscow?

I've got the chance to visit it with my companion.
We are avid city trippers, like to dine good&fine and explore the city, its culture and sights and go shopping on foot.

However, no experience with Russia at all. We are Belgian, should that matter.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

My Lovely Horse posted:

With those full day drives I think you're somewhat overestimating how much time it takes to get around Ireland by car, even if you take the back roads.

Dingle is nice, and you should certainly drive around Connemara a bit. The landscape is bewildering.

The full day drives are meant to be slow, with lots of stopping. So the drive from Dublin to Cork (2.5 hours on the motorways) will realistically take much longer, with stops in Kilkenny and Cashel, possibly even hitting up Glendalough beforehand. Driving from Cork to Killarney (1.5 hours) would go through Clonakitty, Bantry, and Kenmare. Then we would have full days in certain places to do other stuff: Cork (Cobh, Titanic Museum for mom, Old Midleton Distillery, maybe Blarney Castle and gardens), Killarney (Ring of Kerry full day drive), etc. The only thing we seem to be missing so far is Dingle and Aran Islands/Connemara, which we could do if we took a second night in Galway.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Omne posted:

The full day drives are meant to be slow, with lots of stopping. So the drive from Dublin to Cork (2.5 hours on the motorways) will realistically take much longer, with stops in Kilkenny and Cashel, possibly even hitting up Glendalough beforehand. Driving from Cork to Killarney (1.5 hours) would go through Clonakitty, Bantry, and Kenmare. Then we would have full days in certain places to do other stuff: Cork (Cobh, Titanic Museum for mom, Old Midleton Distillery, maybe Blarney Castle and gardens), Killarney (Ring of Kerry full day drive), etc. The only thing we seem to be missing so far is Dingle and Aran Islands/Connemara, which we could do if we took a second night in Galway.

As someone who just did this two months ago, you're really underestimating how much time you want at each place. It is really not enjoyable to go from Dublin to Cork and stop at both Kilkenny, Cashel, and Glendalough in a single day. That's a 5 hour drive, and each stop is minimum 2 hours for an even basic taste (well, I guess Glendalough is just driving through slowly). So yeah that's a feasible full day, assuming that lunch is just a bag of nuts while you're driving. Certainly you can do all of those things, but doing that for 6 days in a row is going to be exhausting and most people won't care about what they see after 3 days like that unless they're literally crossing off a checklist.

Dublin -> Cork via Cashel: 1 day
Cork: 1 day
Ring of Kerry & Killarney NP: 1 day
Cliffs of Moher to Galway: 1 day
Galway to Achill: 1 day
Galway to Shannon, presumably via Ennis: 1 day

That's 6 days and yeah it would work, but 1 night stays are exhausting and there are a lot of sites in Ireland that are enjoyed beyond the big Top 5 that are filled with tour buses of people. Like I honestly found the cliffs on the end of Dingle to be more enjoyable than the Cliffs of Moher since they were similarly high, and not nearly so crowded. Aran Islands is also very unique (though requires basic fitness). There are a LOT of small ruins in the countryside that can be enjoyed that NO ONE will be at, like Menlo Castle near Galway, or Ross Errilly Friary, also near Galway, or Athassel Abbey, near Cashel, or Blackvalley near the Ring of Kerry. Blackvalley, e.g. Gap of Dunloe, was one of my favorite things and would be totally missed. I found Cashel to be a bust after visiting Athassel and Errilly as it’s only somewhat more impressive of a ruin but fully 500x more crowded, plus Errilly and Athassel are free. (At Athassel and Errilly we were the only people there.)

These places (e.g. Athassel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athassel_Priory ) are stunning and totally unpeopled, but you won't see them if you're doing a top speed 6 day trip of Ireland. Yeah your schedule does work if you don't mind changing rooms every single night and being busy from sunup to sundown without stopping for a long lunch, but there's a lot to travelling besides hitting the Top 10 of every country.

OTOH, Connemara is only worth it if you want to do the Diamond Hill walk (2-3 hour roundtrip, depends on your fitness), otherwise it's pretty unremarkable after you've been to Dingle and Ring of Kerry. The R344 road going north from Recess to Kylemore is really nice but the rest of the drive is "eh". Aran Islands are great but needs some basic physical fitness to be able to bike around the island. You can do it with the guided tours but then you're with like 15 other old people the whole time and at least for me it loses most of its charm when done by minibus.

E: Also it is impossible to do Aran and Connemara in the same day from Galway. Like absolutely 100% cannot be done unless "going to Aran" means "taking the ferry or plane to the island, and then taking that same ferry/plane back the moment you arrive." These are two separate full day trips from Galway—I did this myself in May. Aran was leave Galway 8am return Galway 6pm and while reasonably paced on the island, it was by no means slow paced and we did not stop for lunch. For Connemara we left Galway at like 9am and returned around 7pm, but had a nice lunch and stopped at Menlo and Errilly on the way back.

If you’re really into super busy 100% planned and packed no time for sit down meals schedules, and primarily
want to hit up top 10 lists and don’t mind doing 10 nights in a row of one night stays, then go up to Northern Ireland for your remaining 2-3 days. I don’t think your general trip idea is impossible, but IME trips like that tend to be less memorable than slightly slower paced visits where yeah maybe you see less on paper but you honesty remember and enjoy more.

Otherwise really take at least 2 nights in both Killarney and in Galway so you can do Dingle and Aran, and take a night in Kilkenny so you can actually enjoy Glendalough and do your Dublin-Cork day at an enjoyable pace. Then go up to Belfast and fly home or something with your other day. Also if you’re coming from the US keep in mind your first day will be exhausting.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 9, 2019

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Saladman posted:

As someone who just did this two months ago, you're really underestimating how much time you want at each place. It is really not enjoyable to go from Dublin to Cork and stop at both Kilkenny, Cashel, and Glendalough in a single day. That's a 5 hour drive, and each stop is minimum 2 hours for an even basic taste (well, I guess Glendalough is just driving through slowly). So yeah that's a feasible full day, assuming that lunch is just a bag of nuts while you're driving. Certainly you can do all of those things, but doing that for 6 days in a row is going to be exhausting and most people won't care about what they see after 3 days like that unless they're literally crossing off a checklist.

Dublin -> Cork via Cashel: 1 day
Cork: 1 day
Ring of Kerry & Killarney NP: 1 day
Cliffs of Moher to Galway: 1 day
Galway to Achill: 1 day
Galway to Shannon, presumably via Ennis: 1 day

That's 6 days and yeah it would work, but 1 night stays are exhausting and there are a lot of sites in Ireland that are enjoyed beyond the big Top 5 that are filled with tour buses of people. Like I honestly found the cliffs on the end of Dingle to be more enjoyable than the Cliffs of Moher since they were similarly high, and not nearly so crowded. Aran Islands is also very unique (though requires basic fitness). There are a LOT of small ruins in the countryside that can be enjoyed that NO ONE will be at, like Menlo Castle near Galway, or Ross Errilly Friary, also near Galway, or Athassel Abbey, near Cashel, or Blackvalley near the Ring of Kerry. Blackvalley, e.g. Gap of Dunloe, was one of my favorite things and would be totally missed. I found Cashel to be a bust after visiting Athassel and Errilly as it’s only somewhat more impressive of a ruin but fully 500x more crowded, plus Errilly and Athassel are free. (At Athassel and Errilly we were the only people there.)

These places (e.g. Athassel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athassel_Priory ) are stunning and totally unpeopled, but you won't see them if you're doing a top speed 6 day trip of Ireland. Yeah your schedule does work if you don't mind changing rooms every single night and being busy from sunup to sundown without stopping for a long lunch, but there's a lot to travelling besides hitting the Top 10 of every country.

OTOH, Connemara is only worth it if you want to do the Diamond Hill walk (2-3 hour roundtrip, depends on your fitness), otherwise it's pretty unremarkable after you've been to Dingle and Ring of Kerry. The R344 road going north from Recess to Kylemore is really nice but the rest of the drive is "eh". Aran Islands are great but needs some basic physical fitness to be able to bike around the island. You can do it with the guided tours but then you're with like 15 other old people the whole time and at least for me it loses most of its charm when done by minibus.

E: Also it is impossible to do Aran and Connemara in the same day from Galway. Like absolutely 100% cannot be done unless "going to Aran" means "taking the ferry or plane to the island, and then taking that same ferry/plane back the moment you arrive." These are two separate full day trips from Galway—I did this myself in May. Aran was leave Galway 8am return Galway 6pm and while reasonably paced on the island, it was by no means slow paced and we did not stop for lunch. For Connemara we left Galway at like 9am and returned around 7pm, but had a nice lunch and stopped at Menlo and Errilly on the way back.

If you’re really into super busy 100% planned and packed no time for sit down meals schedules, and primarily
want to hit up top 10 lists and don’t mind doing 10 nights in a row of one night stays, then go up to Northern Ireland for your remaining 2-3 days. I don’t think your general trip idea is impossible, but IME trips like that tend to be less memorable than slightly slower paced visits where yeah maybe you see less on paper but you honesty remember and enjoy more.

Otherwise really take at least 2 nights in both Killarney and in Galway so you can do Dingle and Aran, and take a night in Kilkenny so you can actually enjoy Glendalough and do your Dublin-Cork day at an enjoyable pace. Then go up to Belfast and fly home or something with your other day. Also if you’re coming from the US keep in mind your first day will be exhausting.

Seems there's a bit of confusion, sorry if I wasn't very clear.

Day 1: Arrive in Dublin, walk around, relax
Day 2: Dublin sights and such
Day 3: Dublin to Cork, stop in Kilkenny and Cashel (for Hore Abbey)
Day 4: Cork (Cobh, Old Midleton, whatever else we feel like)
Day 5: Cork to Killarney (stop randomly on the way)
Day 6: Killarney: Ring of Kerry
Day 7: Killarney to Galway, Cliffs of Moher
Day 8: Galway to Achill
Day 9: Achill to Shannon or Dublin to depart.

Only two of the stops are one-night stays (Galway and Achill). The driving days are meant to hit up those random things you're talking about. We're not trying to do the top 10 other than like Ring of Kerry and Cliffs of Moher.

The suggestions I've seen are Glendalough (which would add in a night in Kilkenny before we get to Cork) and an additional day in Galway to do Connemara or Aran.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Omne posted:

Seems there's a bit of confusion, sorry if I wasn't very clear.

Day 1: Arrive in Dublin, walk around, relax
Day 2: Dublin sights and such
Day 3: Dublin to Cork, stop in Kilkenny and Cashel (for Hore Abbey)
Day 4: Cork (Cobh, Old Midleton, whatever else we feel like)
Day 5: Cork to Killarney (stop randomly on the way)
Day 6: Killarney: Ring of Kerry
Day 7: Killarney to Galway, Cliffs of Moher
Day 8: Galway to Achill
Day 9: Achill to Shannon or Dublin to depart.

Only two of the stops are one-night stays (Galway and Achill). The driving days are meant to hit up those random things you're talking about. We're not trying to do the top 10 other than like Ring of Kerry and Cliffs of Moher.

The suggestions I've seen are Glendalough (which would add in a night in Kilkenny before we get to Cork) and an additional day in Galway to do Connemara or Aran.

Ah, yeah that actually seems okay the way you have it written out there. I’d still recommend spending more time in Ireland with your extra 2-3 days unless you can’t get a direct flight home from Dublin or Shannon.

E: Just flipped through my trip photos, and some other things that came up just in southern Ireland on the same route you're already doing:
• If you’re already way up in Achill you could take another day and go towards Slieve League and from there back towards Dublin or Shannon.
• Dingle is really cool, especially Slea Head Drive at the end, including the Blasket Visitor Center area (gorgeous views). Inch Beach is neat too. Conor Pass is neat although you can just drive up to the middle and then back down; the north side of the peninsula wasn't that stunning. Also an awesome petting zoo here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hold+a+baby+Lamb/@52.1009133,-10.440865,16.17z/
• I was mixing up Cliffs of Kerry with Cliffs of Dingle. There are no "Cliffs of Dingle" although it's certainly cliffy. The Cliffs of Kerry were totally worth the €5 or whatever.
• Newgrange is also super neat if any of you care about Neolithic stuff. I found it to be about 1 million times more interesting than Stonehenge, since you can actually go up to (and inside) it. Also the Batte of the Boyne is right there if any of you cares about more resent Irish history (if not, it’s just an "eh" museum and a field with some cannon).
• Blackvalley and the Gap of Dunloe are really awesome as long as whoever is driving is not a scared driver for driving on 1 lane wide, 2-way mountain roads. If you're not comfortable driving that, then you can walk it (1-2 hours from the parking lot?) or if you're into that type of thing, take a horse-drawn buggy.
• Kilkenny is nice enough but also totally skippable. The castle is kind of cool but only for like 10 minutes.

There was another poster on this thread who lived in Ireland for years, maybe s/he'll chip in with more ideas.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 10, 2019

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
My girlfriend is planning a trip for us and her parents (in their 50s, one cancer survivor, only speak Chinese) around Spain and Portugal, for 2 weeks in early October. We plan to start in Barcelona, rent a car, and pretty much do a loop anti-clockwise around the Iberian peninsula, finishing back up in Barcelona.

This is her current list of towns/cities she wants to visit, but I'm wondering if it's a bit much to cram into 2 weeks. Our main goals are architecture, beautiful vistas, good food and drink, a little history, but not too many museums as she doesn't think her parents will get much out of them.

Barcelona,
Madrid (Segovia & Toledo),
Salamanca,
Porto,
Óbidos,
Lisbon,
Seville,
Ronda,
Malaga,
Granada,
Murcia,
Valencia,
Barcelona.

Part of me thought "Oh we're not seeing Gibraltar?" but then I considered the size of the list already and decided against adding more. What's essential there? Or what's essential that we're missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Way too much. Way way way too much. That's about 3000km of driving in two weeks, you're going to be spending more time in the car than you are sightseeing.