Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Flying the Flag: AYE
Build a Battleship: NAY
Land War In Asia: NAY
Verni Paradox: AYE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Flying the Flag: NAY
Build a Battleship: AYE
Land War In Asia: (Saros's proposal): NAY

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Aye, Nay, Nay, Aye

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

NAY
AYE
AYE
NAY

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

NAY YEA YEA YEA

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, not sure why SPEED KILLS wasn't included? I seconded it. Dreadnought What Your Country Can Do For You was also seconded.

Flying the Flag: AYE
Build a Battleship: NAY
Land War In Asia: AYE
Dreadnought What Your Country Can Do For You: NAY
Speed Kills Initiative: AYE

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, not sure why SPEED KILLS wasn't included? I seconded it. Dreadnought What Your Country Can Do For You was also seconded.

Speed Kills OP was formatted badly and probably got overlooked.

Dreadnought was superseded by Build a Battleship since after discussion it was deemed overly ambitious.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Infidelicious posted:

Speed Kills OP was formatted badly and probably got overlooked.

Dreadnought was superseded by Build a Battleship since after discussion it was deemed overly ambitious.

I mean I literally copied the build a battleship format and tweaked the parameters so not sure how that OP was good and mine was bad :(

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I mean I literally copied the build a battleship format and tweaked the parameters so not sure how that OP was good and mine was bad :(

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Seconding the Royal Yacht to be modeled, honestly I feel like that's probably going to be the big choice for all the Goons here.

For laws, while I see battleships have now attracted the attention of our esteemed colleges, I would humbly submit to my fellows that we follow the lessons of this most recent war, and look to these eminently most practical lessons for a path forward. While the Japanese were politically interminable fools for challenging us, they aren't fools in ship design and warfare. Practically their entire battleship fleet now lies at the bottom of the ocean, their thick armor and heavy batteries weren't enough to sustain them in home waters against an expeditionary force traveling across the entire world! What destroyed this mighty fleet? While our battleships performed admirably, in the end, the heavy lifting of this war and the true thoroughbreds were our destroyers and of course his Royal Majesties Yacht.

What these have shown us, and what we must take going forward, is that SPEED KILLS and this should be the focus for our fleet. The era of the iron castle is obsolete, we need nimble killers like our Czars resplendent iron chariot to lead our way forward backed by the brave men and women of ships like Boki and Verni.

Therefore, as a counter to the building of battleships, I propose the Speed Kills Initiative. The proposal is twofold:

1. Build 1x battlecrusier, The battlecrusier must have at minimum 3 turrets with dual 12" guns as its primary armament. A second battlecrusier of this class may also be laid down at the discretion of the admiral. The ship must maintain a speed of 27 knots and be capable of traveling long range.

2. For each battlecrusier laid down, 3-6 accompanying destoryers shall also be laid down to augment the fleet and support the battlecrusier.

With the combination of our sleek battlecrusiers imitating the style of warfare of our most braze Czar, and their accompanying ships embodying the spirit and determination of our destroyer captain, Russia shall be invincible in the sea!

It's just a lot of :words: and because it comes on the heels of a seconding it's easy to overlook if you're just skimming for acts to vote on.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

This wraps up the Japanese play through!

I'll count the votes up in a bit.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I haven't played this one yet (but I'm close to cracking), but a question: Is there a design we already have that's good enough and tested enough to spam out a few to replace our losses? We have some big boys on the slipways but we've lost some destroyers and I'd like to see more destroyers and light cruisers out asap. If it's anything like RTW1, a design we already have (maybe modified) is cheaper and faster to build.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Okay, work kicked my rear end, then I needed to spend £180 to get the back door lock fixed.

but here we go

All acts pass!

We now need a battleship with 4 12" guns!

Here is the save!

Here we go with the real hard mode- Austria-Hungary! can I escape the Med to become a world power once more?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

I haven't played this one yet (but I'm close to cracking), but a question: Is there a design we already have that's good enough and tested enough to spam out a few to replace our losses? We have some big boys on the slipways but we've lost some destroyers and I'd like to see more destroyers and light cruisers out asap. If it's anything like RTW1, a design we already have (maybe modified) is cheaper and faster to build.

You can, indeed, make new designs based on old designs.
Certain things, like changing weight, will make it a whole new ship, but a redesign is entirely possible.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Grey Hunter posted:

Here is the save!

I don't think you attached the save :(

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I am a moron.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kmi0pa65zkcvgha/AAADcAoppsNhSI-9n4IUId6Ya?dl=0

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Having failed again with the Vit Elefant to win a ship design contest, Helmund & Son try a risky strategy for their next ship; namely, ignoring the rules.

I'm pleased to present the Åsidosätta:

file:https://www.dropbox.com/s/t8pyqaf6zle5ai7/%C3%85sidos%C3%A4tta.30d?dl=0

You may notice that we have, er, made an unconventional interpretation of the design specifications. We felt very strongly that a 4 x 2 x 12" armament would make her obsolete before she has even launched, so we have opted for an improved 4 x 2 x 14" main battery. This slight increase in expense will dramatically improve her combat effectiveness and give her a fighting chance against the dreadnought designs which are already leaving slipways. Her belt and deck armor make her invulnerable against her own guns, with up-armoring around the turrets to future-proof her against better-armed designs. She makes a peppy 22 knots and has a sensible armament of fourteen 4" secondary guns that are sufficient for swiss-cheesing marauding destroyers without confusing the aim of her main guns. Overall, she may not be the battleship the navy ordered, but she is the battleship the navy deserves.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

That's a bold move Cotton.

For reference,

quote:

No Ship Left Behind Act:

In order to ensure coherancy and efficacy in future fleet operations consistent line speed must be a priority

All new construction must meet or exceed the speeds listed unless otherwise overridden in individual construction mandate legislation where line speed is considered secondary priority EX: design specifically calling for a say a minesweeper or coastal defense battleship is exempted from this bill.

B/BB/CA/CL 23 knots BC 25 knots DD 27 knots

So it's a knot slower, and also the guns while bigger are -1 quality instead of 0 quality

Let's see if it pays off

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Tbh I couldn't find the No Ship Left Behind Act in the thread so I just made it as fast as the Blyat, so truly no ship will be left behind at least.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
We have such nice 12 inch guns why wouldn't you use them geez

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

WE'Z GLAD YA ASKED

Takin insprashun from tha preevyus entry, we prezents da Dukh Zakona
Turnz owt dat puttin de secon set a gunz in turretz iz impossible, but az da bill demandz, she az 8 12 inch riflez. (datz 4x2 for doze in da bak).

I challenge any ov our kompetitorz ta jam more fiarpower into a modern warship dan we did.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IfIqw_F2OSkdBZB1sjot-HG04PCGnqg8

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Veloxyll posted:

Turnz owt dat puttin de secon set a gunz in turretz iz impossible, but az da bill demandz, she az 8 12 inch riflez. (datz 4x2 for doze in da bak).

You've used 14" quality -1 as well.

Oh wait now I see. Oops.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Lone Badger posted:

You've used 14" quality -1 as well.

Oh wait now I see. Oops.

Only for the turret guns!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

WE'Z GLAD YA ASKED

Takin insprashun from tha preevyus entry, we prezents da Dukh Zakona

I challenge any ov our kompetitorz ta jam more fiarpower into a modern warship dan we did.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IfIqw_F2OSkdBZB1sjot-HG04PCGnqg8

Jesus f'ing Christ.

Also needs wayyyyy more main gun ammo.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
wow, that's definitely a ship

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Because it costs as much as two smaller dreadnoughts it has enough guns to fight two at once!

Genius!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

It's beautiful :allears:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I don't think any more submissions are needed, we all know what's going to get built.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

(Prince Valeryan Igorovich Urodlivyy, founding member of the Русские созданы для борьбы и победы Salon, at a historical costume ball in St. Petersburg, circa 1899)

The Ensign of the Русские созданы для борьбы и победы Salon, Circa October 1906

While the Salon believes that there is already a suitable entry in this contest, in the form of the Dukh Zakona, we believe that the plans can be improved even further. Thus, the Русские созданы для борьбы и победы is proud to present the Кот Бегемот class battlecruiser.

Ship Blueprints & Ship Profile

At the cost of roughly two inches of belt and turret armor, we have been able to bring Behemoth to life at a roaring 27 knots, giving the Tsar a suitable honor guard whenever he travels abroad. We believe the brilliance of the Duhk Zakona design was in the development of twelve inch secondaries, and by putting them into dual turrets we have eliminated any potential decline in their rate of fire. Obviously the Behemoth will be best suited to working in conjunction with screening destroyers, perhaps upgrades from our current Podliv class, but with the massive size of the primary and secondary batteries and its incredible speed it will be able to keep any ship carrying heavy guns at ranges that will make its comparatively lesser armor a non-issue. So long as she stays 10km out, she fears nothing- and anything drawing closer will be utterly annihilated by her broadsides.

Your most leal relative,
Valeroshka

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
While I am a formal member of the Salon, I do feel obligated to throw my hat into the ring for a ship design. While technically battleships were selected, I feel as though our Majesties Yacht needs only the best to keep up, which means a cruiser designed for heavy battle.

I present the Riga. A smaller offering, she boasts the 12 inch guns we are proficient in building. With her emphasis on Speed and Long Range, she will be more than capable of keeping up with the Czars yacht and with her armored secondary battery of 8 inch guns she is more than capable of meting out damage to smaller, but more nimble combatants while keeping up a steady stream of fire on the larger capital ships of our foes.

I feel as though this design captures the spirit of our desire to provide the Czars flagship with nothing but the best, most capable and speedy vessels, and at an affordable price tag.

Design Link

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...

habeasdorkus posted:

(Prince Valeryan Igorovich Urodlivyy, founding member of the Русские созданы для борьбы и победы Salon, at a historical costume ball in St. Petersburg, circa 1899)

The Ensign of the Русские созданы для борьбы и победы Salon, Circa October 1906

While the Salon believes that there is already a suitable entry in this contest, in the form of the Dukh Zakona, we believe that the plans can be improved even further. Thus, the Русские созданы для борьбы и победы is proud to present the Кот Бегемот class battlecruiser.

Ship Blueprints & Ship Profile

At the cost of roughly two inches of belt and turret armor, we have been able to bring Behemoth to life at a roaring 27 knots, giving the Tsar a suitable honor guard whenever he travels abroad. We believe the brilliance of the Duhk Zakona design was in the development of twelve inch secondaries, and by putting them into dual turrets we have eliminated any potential decline in their rate of fire. Obviously the Behemoth will be best suited to working in conjunction with screening destroyers, perhaps upgrades from our current Podliv class, but with the massive size of the primary and secondary batteries and its incredible speed it will be able to keep any ship carrying heavy guns at ranges that will make its comparatively lesser armor a non-issue. So long as she stays 10km out, she fears nothing- and anything drawing closer will be utterly annihilated by her broadsides.

Your most leal relative,
Valeroshka

12 X 2 X 4 secondaries with 1" gunshields for armor. :stonk:

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Splode posted:

We have such nice 12 inch guns why wouldn't you use them geez

14 > 12

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
No gods no rules, the Tsar rules here and the Tsar deserves only the best. And the best can be found across the seas. Or in other words, you are all thinking too small. If you're going to break the rules, break 'em good and hard.

The P_C Design Bureau presents to you the Tsesarevich, which will rule the seas as the Tsar rules the Russias.

Tsesarevich.30d

Just to give some perspective of what the other nations could/are building right now. This battleship would be immune to all current Russian naval gunnery over its vital components, has increased protection against torpedoes and 9x16-inch guns which can sink any of the proposed ships at ranges less than 7,000 yards or greater than 15,000 yards while being impervious to return fire. Nothing anyone in the world is building can threaten this ship except for our own superlative destroyer force.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Someone with the manual remind me of the gun calibre refitting please?

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

simplefish posted:

Someone with the manual remind me of the gun calibre refitting please?

2x10 - 3x8
2x11

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Saros posted:

Jesus f'ing Christ.

Also needs wayyyyy more main gun ammo.

I know, I was trying to keep costs somewhat reasonable. The secondaries have infinite ammo though so it's FIIIINE. Though I guess I did have some tonnage to play with. Maybe I'll make a B variant. Maybe I'll let it compete as it stands.
If we put it in for refit when we get better 14" guns, we can always bulge the hull and fill it with more shells

Though when I go back to check things, it lets me put the 12" guns in turrets now. WEIRDNESS.

As for costs, iot's competitive with the Åsidosätta on price. That's just what a Battleship costs nowadays. Inflation is hell.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Thought you guys might appreciate this so cross-posting.

Some early French aircraft pics for you:

Very early biplane indeed.

Your engineers were so busy asking whether or not they could, they didn't stop to ask if they should.

Mais pour quoi François?

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to land...

This one is a low cantilevered-wing monocoque monoplane that was wildly ahead of its time in 1911. Unfortunately it could not achieve flight.

This was an attempt to solve the Allied deficiency in machine gun timing gear in WW I. You may to look closely to discern its drawbacks.

Modern fighter entered development in 1935, was delayed by problems for so long that the lone production plane manufactured never made it to French service.

Nothing wrong with this heavy fighter, it was just scheduled to enter service in 1941.

Ditto for this fighter.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Your engineers were so busy asking whether or not they could, they didn't stop to ask if they should.

Oh, they absolutely should. That thing is fuckin' magical. :allears:

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
What am I even looking at there?

Is that a single engine float plane with the passenger compartment in the floats?

\/ wtf.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 8, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nope, it's a wheeled airliner with a pusher-puller configuration. You can see the pusher prop behind the cockpit, which is mounted mid-wing. It's two-engined but that wasn't enough by a long shot.

wiki:

quote:

The Blériot 125 (or Bl-125) was a highly unusual French airliner of the early 1930s. Displayed at the 1930 Salon de l'Aéronautique in Paris, it featured accommodation for twelve passengers in separate twin fuselages. Between them, these pods shared a tailplane and a high wing. The centre section of wing joined the fuselage pods and also carried a nacelle that contained an engine at either end and the crew compartment in the middle. When flown the following year, it displayed very poor flight characteristics and although attempts to improve it continued on into 1933, certification could not be achieved and the sole prototype was scrapped the following year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's amazing.

It was too beautiful to live