Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pinecone Sample posted:

WIBTA if I reported an acquaintance's pictures of her daughter on Facebook?

Hmm maybe not? 5 is kinda getting into the territory where creepers start coming out of the woodwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

MasBrillante posted:

Right, but that post said “breaking up over some bath water” which implies that it’s NOT creepy to purchase lady bath water from the internet.

Oh God you're right.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

revmoo posted:

"I decided to pour salt on deep national wounds by making a passenger on my plane thing I was going to murder them all. AITA?"

Wow, that's one hell of a hot take.

The nervous guy on the plane stereotyped the gently caress out of this guy, owing mostly to indicators of his ethnicity.

Now, I'm not gonna say it's smart to risk being reported as suspicious by another passenger, but the guy is absolutely not the rear end in a top hat for loving with the guy.

therobit fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 6, 2019

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Pinecone Sample posted:

WIBTA if I reported an acquaintance's pictures of her daughter on Facebook?

Yes you creep, you would be the rear end in a top hat for reporting innocent child pictures as CP. Id thou look away pool pictures of a kid and think there is or could be anything sexual about it then you are a creep.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I don't get the whole "If you post pictures of your kid online they'll get kidnapped and raped!" thing. It's super loving weird. Like I know people that refuse to post any pics of their toddlers online at all because they imagine some child predator somewhere is going to come across them. Even if some freak sees a picture of your kid it's not actually putting your kid in danger. If you want to avoid child predators stop going to church or something.

Besides that entire cultures in the world still run around naked or mostly naked. People need to chill on the nude bodies thing in general. Sexualizing kids is creepy as gently caress, even the "I just don't want someone to see it as CP so I'm protecting her!" bullshit in that post.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Not related to any recent post here but from casual browsing the number of people recommending “have you considered opening your relationship?” on Reddit is seriously loving bizarre

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fallom posted:

Not related to any recent post here but from casual browsing the number of people recommending “have you considered opening your relationship?” on Reddit is seriously loving bizarre

Being a sidepiece is most of reddits only shot at getting a girlfriend.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Fallom posted:

loving truth.

E:

Barudak posted:

Also true.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

revmoo posted:

"I decided to pour salt on deep national wounds by making a passenger on my plane thing I was going to murder them all. AITA?"
Alternatively: "Some guy on the plane was being a racist rear end in a top hat by automatically assuming that any vaguely Muslim looking guy must be a terrorist."

That said, while he's NTA, it's ballsy bordering on stupid to do given that he could easily have reported it to the security apparatus...some of whom also have similar racial assumptions.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 6, 2019

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Barudak posted:

Usually a side piece needs to be attractive in some way, especially if male like I assume most redditors are.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
"My bros and I were in Ireland on a pub crawl and we ordered car bombs while making explody noises and the bartender kicked us out. AWTA?"

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Scathach posted:

I don't get the whole "If you post pictures of your kid online they'll get kidnapped and raped!" thing. It's super loving weird. Like I know people that refuse to post any pics of their toddlers online at all because they imagine some child predator somewhere is going to come across them. Even if some freak sees a picture of your kid it's not actually putting your kid in danger. If you want to avoid child predators stop going to church or something.

Besides that entire cultures in the world still run around naked or mostly naked. People need to chill on the nude bodies thing in general. Sexualizing kids is creepy as gently caress, even the "I just don't want someone to see it as CP so I'm protecting her!" bullshit in that post.

I don't like seeing parents document their children's lives on Facebook because an entire generation is liable to grow up to hate them for giving away their private moments before they could decide for themselves, seems like a pendulum thing and they don't have any say in it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Scathach posted:

I agree with this. I still don't post photos of my kids online because I don't feel like I should do that before they can decide what sort of online presence the do or do not want to have, but it's not because I think anyone is going to kidnap and molest them.

My mom on the other hand still believes people kidnap random children that they don't know, something she was worried about back in the 80s and 90s when my brother and I were kids. The 90s moral panics live on in my mother's heart. She still wants me to inspect the kids' Halloween candy for poison and razor blades.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Husband (37m) came hone with a new car. I (36f) was surprised and upset. Now he’s threatening to divorce me.

Husband and I have been married for 9 years with 2 kids. Middle class family. We’ve had disagreements about money and how we spend it in the past.

Earlier this week he showed me a car that he liked (online). He currently have a car, no major issues and will be done with payments in several months. I’ve been really looking forward to having it paid off and freeing up some extra money each month. However, I know my husband has been getting the itch for a new vehicle. I would love to never have a car payment again but I know that’s a battle I won’t win because he likes to drive a newer car.

We chatted about this new vehicle. I told him to go check it out and the next day he came home with a new car.

I was shocked. I had no idea he was going to be signing papers that quickly.

I told him my feelings to which he responded that he thought I’d be happy for him (don’t know why he’d think that cause I’ve always hated our $400/month car payment and the new one is slightly more).

A screaming match ensued with him threatening divorce. I told him I just need some time to process this new car and it’s continued payments but I’d get over it. He can’t believe I’m upset because he said that I told him he could get the car.

He’s taken the kids and gone to his family’s house for the day leaving me home alone.

Where do I go from here? What do I say when he gets home?

TLDR: My husband came home with a new car. I was upset that he didn’t tell me and now he’s threatening to divorce me.

the trash is willing to take itself out, don’t turn that gift down

Barudak
May 7, 2007

therobit posted:

Usually a side piece needs to be attractive in some way, especially if male like I assume most redditors are.

I think theyre hoping opening a relationship is like when you break seal on a vaccum and it sucks everything nearby into it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Pinecone Sample posted:

I don't like seeing parents document their children's lives on Facebook because an entire generation is liable to grow up to hate them for giving away their private moments before they could decide for themselves, seems like a pendulum thing and they don't have any say in it.

Strongly agree.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

revmoo posted:

Congrats on being racist.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Fallom posted:

To be charitable, I assume a lot of these are in response to "we have really different sex drives or some other sexual incompatibility, and everyone's unhappy, but breaking up is NOT AN OPTION!" It's unlikely to really solve the problem, but it may make breaking up an option in very short order.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

revmoo posted:

deep
national
wounds

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Grape posted:

Congrats on being racist.

Everyone I disagree with is a racist

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

revmoo posted:

"My bros and I were in Ireland on a pub crawl and we ordered car bombs while making explody noises and the bartender kicked us out. AWTA?"

"My bros and I were in Belfast in a Protestant neighborhood, and I was getting dirty looks for appearing Catholic even though I'm not, so I started gripping a rosary and staring fondly at a picture of the pope while staring skyward."

This is the actual comparison you're looking for.

Grape fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 6, 2019

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Pinecone Sample posted:

See this reasoning makes perfect sense to me and I have to agree. But the people that don't do it out of consideration for their kids' feelings but rather super weird 80's satanic-panic style fear, they're just nuts.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

IMO reenforcing a racial stereotype is never a good look.

The first guy was absolutely an rear end in a top hat but playing it up really doesn’t help anyone.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

revmoo posted:

*defending literal profiling as fine and understandable*

"Me? I'm the racist??"

lol

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

revmoo posted:

“Everyone I disagree with is a racist!”I now regurgitate reflexively every time someone points out my opinions are bad, having long ago stopped associating words with meaning.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

*95% odds that the scared dude on the plane has never been so much as within spitting distance of Manhattan in his entire life*

DEEP
national
WOUNDS

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

MarcusSA posted:

IMO reenforcing a racial stereotype is never a good look.

The first guy was absolutely an rear end in a top hat but playing it up really doesn’t help anyone.

Praying on a plane is actually something very observant Muslims would do, because of this thingie
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salah_times

I sat next to a classmate on a plane and she did this.
She should have known of the sensibilities she was offending by existing as a Muslim doing Muslim things. Very insensitive.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grape posted:

Praying on a plane is actually something very observant Muslims would do, because of this thingie
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salah_times

I sat next to a classmate on a plane and she did this.
She should have known of the sensibilities she was offending by existing as a Muslim doing Muslim things. Very insensitive.

Ok but that’s not what happened.

I standby my statement.

They were both assholes for different reasons.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
gosh guys way to be Conservative and all. A whole lot of America had their brains broken by 9/11 and you shouldn't tease the mentally ill :v:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

9/11 never COULD WE PLEASE loving forget about it already.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
9/11 never forget bc you have cultural ptsd

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

revmoo posted:

No, just the ones with lovely, racist perspectives like you.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lot of assholes coming out to defend "no but the racial prejudice is good you see!"

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

How do I (27f) tell my bf (30m) that I don't want to hear about his fun trip?

My boyfriend of 7 years went to a 2 day camping/party trip a few days ago with some of his friends. The party was for his friend's girlfriend, and with about 40 people being invited, my bf's friend decided to invite his friends (including my bf). I was originally invited to this by my bf - although I never received a direct invite from the friend or his gf I know they had asked if I was coming along as these are people I've met numerous times before and really get along with.

A few days before the event, my bf changed his mind about bringing me because the only other friend in his friend group that has an SO, wasn't bringing their SO along. I'm also fairly new to the country and have expressed to my bf when I first moved, how I'm struggling to meet new people and make friends here as an expat. I don't get to do a ton of stuff like this anymore as I don't know a ton of people, and the event would have been a great opportunity to meet new people. We, as a couple do a lot of things together so I can understand if he wanted a few days with just his friends but I felt like this particular event wasn't the right one to do so. So I was obviously hurt that he no longer felt like he could bring me along despite 40 people being at this event.

He apologized for doing this but the 2 days he was gone sucked especially when he kept sending me photos and whatnot of the party. I know he's doing this because he just genuinely wants to tell me about his trip. I'm doing my best to be interested in hearing about it, and move on from the fact that I was uninvited. But if I'm honest, I don't really want to keep hearing about how much fun he had at a party while I was trying to distract myself from the fact that I was uninvited to something fun I could have gone to.

Would it be immature of me to tell him I don't really want to hear about the event?

​TL;DR - boyfriend invited me and then uninvited me to a 2 day party. I don't want to keep listening to him talk about how much fun he had. Would it be immature if I told him this?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Lot of assholes coming out to defend "no but the racial prejudice is good you see!"

Do you mean on reddit? Because otherwise I only see one poster here.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d also like to point out that the dude isn’t even Muslim which kinda makes his behavior worse because he’s never actually had to deal with the actual poo poo Muslims deal with on a daily basis. He had this one instance and decided to go all in with being a dumbass.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Haifisch posted:

AITA for loving with this guy on the plane?
This guy is awesome and I would totally buy him a beer.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Should I (29M) get over my mum's (49F) choice of SO (28M) and meet her after years of her asking?

Many years ago, my mum left my dad for another guy, which in itself was difficult to deal with, but what really made it so horrible for me was that this guy was someone I knew and he is my age.

I immediately took my dad's side in all this, despite having been closer to my mum until that time, and she moved out and I decided that I would never see her again.

I changed my mind after a few months, somewhat because she was still my mum, and aside from this had been a really devoted mother, but also because I hoped I could convince her to stay away from the other guy.

It didn't go down that way at all though, instead they ended up getting married and I reluctantly turned up last minute to their wedding. Some words were said the next day, and my Mum basically told me she didn't regret that she left my dad and ended up with her new husband, and she was sick of me dogmatically trying to suggest that she end it and it felt like she was implying I shouldn't see her anymore if that's all I was going to do.

I felt like that meant she didn't care she'd hurt us all and so I decided that day I was right to originally decide to cut her out, so that's what I did, and though I didn't block her number or take extreme measures like that, I did mostly ignore her attempts to get in contact with me.

At first I just thought that this was all her fault so I shouldn't feel guilty, but increasingly over the years I've started to think maybe I'm just punishing her, rather than actually feeling like I can't see her. Especially since my dad is happily remarried someone and they have a baby together. I did feel I really hurt her when I refused to go see her new kid, who is going to be 5 soon, and it probably only got worse that I have been quite a part of my dad's kid's life.

She's going to be 50 very soon, and I got a very long email from her about 2 weeks ago, asking if I would meet her. Most of her previous attempts, even when she had her new kid, were much more soft touch 'how are you? Are you free? I'd hate to go another year without seeing you' type messages in comparison.

She really laid it all out; how she missed me; told me some things she'd have liked me to see; stressed that still loves me and none of her choices were because 'she loved me any less than the day I was born' but she understood how they put a strain on me. She said she doesn't want to turn 50 without having seen me in years and really wants to know what she can do to convince me to see her. Where, when, with whom else, for how long, etc, all up to me.

I started off thinking I just shouldn't go as nothing has changed and she's still the bad guy for choosing to be with that guy. But she didn't even really mention him in her whole email, and I realise she just wants to see her son and again, maybe I'm just trying to punish her.

I feel seeing her is the right thing to do, but I don't know how. I've been thinking that maybe I should go to the BBQ she's hosting for her birthday. Going to a group event might be less intense and makes me less anxious but then I'll have to deal with seeing her husband, and my half-sibling, who I've basically ignored their whole life.

TL;DR

My mum left my dad many years ago, for a much younger man - my age, who I already knew. It made me hate her and I still haven't gotten over it. It's been so long she's now married with a kid to the same guy, but I still am debating no contact with her, even after she reached out with a very heartfelt letter. She's asked me to see her before her 50th birthday which is coming up imminently, saying she'll do whatever when, where, how, I want if it makes it easier for me to see her.

Should I meet her? If so, what is the best way to approach this reconciliation?

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Haifisch posted:

AITA for loving with this guy on the plane?

This guy owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for having not inviting an autistic family friend to my "real" graduation party?

I graduated from high school this year and am having my graduation party this weekend. I invited about 30 friends from school. I also had some family members come.

One of my friends has been my friend since we were in first grade because his mom is friends with my mom. He's autistic. He's extremely bright. He was in the gifted and talented program in elementary and middle and took the maximum AP courses in high school. It doesn't affect him intellectually but it does socially.

Every time I have invited him to a party he completely shut down and had to leave. I get it. He can't deal with loud noises. I was with him yesterday and he kept his headphones on because of the fireworks. I invited him to my house after prom with my friends because I hosted a sleepover but he went home early from prom and didn't want to come to my house after.

I honestly don't want to spend my graduation party following him and making sure he is okay. I thought it would be a good idea to invite him and a few of my friends over for a mini graduation celebration last weekend. We hung out in the backyard, had a campfire, played some board games, and had an overall relaxing evening. There were 6 of us in total.

Tomorrow is my real graduation party and I just told my mom that I didn't invite my friend with autism. She completely flipped and said that was a dick move. He wouldn't even enjoy it. I can see that I could have given him the opportunity to turn it down, but he struggles with saying "no" and I just want my graduation party to be enjoyable. I don't want to worry about if the music is playing too loud or if people are splashing in his direction or what food is being served (he doesn't eat meat because of the texture) or if something isn't lined up the correct way.

AITA for this?