Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Eberron first-person RPG

:dogcited:

EDIT: Oh, what a lamentable page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Plutonis posted:

An Eberron game that isn't a lovely MMO

Hey, DDO is a pretty cool MMO. When they weren't trying to shove Elminster and the Forgotton Realms into it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

theironjef posted:

Heh, not a chance. The editing shows that no one there has ever heard of RPG terminology. What actually happened is that D'Amato's book was successful so they shopped around his network for the next biggest showrunner.

Hey, if it works it works.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Eberron first-person RPG

Eberron character action game. Death to ability scores.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Lore bibles are fun and a good idea but making a D&D lore bible sounds like a bit of a waste. Half of it is just gonna be poo poo from previous editions, and as soon as you depart the next team is gonna yeet most of your ~secret backstory~ into the trash and make their own version.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

S.J. posted:

Eberron character action game. Death to ability scores.

Uncharted-but-Eberron is my dream game honestly.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I've always wanted a sort of Kings Quest/Monkey Island inventory adventure game set in Eberron.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Ettin posted:

Lore bibles are fun and a good idea but making a D&D lore bible sounds like a bit of a waste. Half of it is just gonna be poo poo from previous editions, and as soon as you depart the next team is gonna yeet most of your ~secret backstory~ into the trash and make their own version.

It would be cool if someone marketed Points of Light style lore bibles for new DMs. So your Heraldic Order of Rider Guys has a statblock for a
Knight and a few options for fantasy mounts with guidance on how to let your players flesh the details out through play. Or the Obligatory Trading Port has some broad strokes and then "The Regular Spot" page has guidance and layout to create a reference sheet for the place the party spends all their downtime.

Maybe character sheets for things like ships and blanks for your Grungus/Chungus NPCS that weren't intended to come back but the party starts going out of their way to buy mounts at this one random stable.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Ratoslov posted:

The Orcus thing sounds like he's trying to imitate Monte Cook. That is totally something Cook would throw into Invisible Sun, and the mechanical representation of Orcus's omniawareness of realities is +2 to all actions.

Cook already flogged Orcus as the Great Secret Master in Planescape adventures like Great Modron March and Dead Gods.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
In industry news, Stygian Fox's latest Kickstarter was suspended:

https://twitter.com/euclidprime/status/1147196822655569920

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

theironjef posted:

I've always wanted a sort of Kings Quest/Monkey Island inventory adventure game set in Eberron.

I want my highly detailed railroad management sim set in the universe, frankly.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

How badly do you have to mess up fulfillment to get your Kickstarter suspended?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Have six unfulfilled kickstarters, apparently.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That's like Ninja Division levels.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Since lore bibles were brought up, what are your favorite “let’s make the world that we’re going to play in” systems from published games. I’ve heard good things about the Dresden Files game, but I’m looking to add something like it to a game I’m making.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

How badly do you have to mess up fulfillment to get your Kickstarter suspended?

And what kool-aid are they making that this guy wants to drink it so bad? He's waiting on four unfulfilled KS pledges and he's all "gently caress yes where do I sign to send them back my throwaway money?"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

TheSoundNinja posted:

Since lore bibles were brought up, what are your favorite “let’s make the world that we’re going to play in” systems from published games. I’ve heard good things about the Dresden Files game, but I’m looking to add something like it to a game I’m making.

Fellowship has a pretty great set of starting questions for figuring out all the evil crap that your campaign's not-Sauron has been up to. Each player is the representative of their race in the fellowship, so gets to go hog wild defining what their race is and how they live.

The best idea is the final bit of character creation - every player comes up with a rumor about one of the other races. It's up to that race's player to determine if its true or not (and I think they should be encouraged to not confirm or deny until its dramatically relevant) but that doesn't change whether or not that rumour is widely believed.

I really dig fellowship, but that rumour mechanic is one that I think literally every game should steal.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
In industry-adjacent poo poo, this news broke today too:

https://twitter.com/denofgeekus/status/1147313094525255681

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

theironjef posted:

And what kool-aid are they making that this guy wants to drink it so bad? He's waiting on four unfulfilled KS pledges and he's all "gently caress yes where do I sign to send them back my throwaway money?"

You generally don't mention that in your Kickstarter description, and people don't generally look at your Kickstarter history.

So it goes.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Since when have they been "making" Robotech? They haven't released anything of substance in 13 years.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I don't understand why anyone would re-up Harmony Gold's license. Are they really offering more money to squat on it than the Japanese parent company could make selling Macross in the states?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

This came up in ADTRW but basically Tatsunoko gets next to nothing for royalties on later Macross stuff so they don't give a poo poo and would rather have HG's money than not.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

You generally don't mention that in your Kickstarter description, and people don't generally look at your Kickstarter history.

No no, I mean what does Stygian Hyena or whatever they were called make? The guy in the original link was all "I don't care that they're always late and I am personally waiting on 4 different really old pledges! I want to give them my money for a fifth one!"

Like what games are they making that are so good?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

Oh, for gently caress's sake.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

theironjef posted:

No no, I mean what does Stygian Hyena or whatever they were called make? The guy in the original link was all "I don't care that they're always late and I am personally waiting on 4 different really old pledges! I want to give them my money for a fifth one!"

Third party Call of Cthulhu 7e/horror game supplements. They're pretty decent and have some settings for playing Victorian mythos researchers or modern day adventures that hew a little more on the mature side of things while acknowledging "hey this maybe isn't for everyone so read the room". It may just be a case of ideas outweighing the means of production and fulfillment and they have to finish what they have.

e: upon rereading the pdfs I have in my possession the Victorian stuff leans a bit too hard on the Tcho-Tcho as bad guys and there's a very questionably designed scenario in The Things We Leave Behind that would make people familiar with sexual assault uncomfortable so let me change my response to "it's kind of hit and miss, a little more hit than miss though". It still feels like they have too many plates and ideas in the air and they need to commit to finish what they're working on.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 6, 2019

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

theironjef posted:

Looks like they make third-party supplements for Call of Cthulhu, Pendragon, and... 2300 AD? Also a bunch of maps and handouts.

Pretty well off my radar, so I couldn't say if they're any good.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Yeah, I don't know about the Victorian stuff but The Things We Leave Behind and Fear's Sharp Little Needles are both really good and creepy modern Cthulhu books, hence the apparent leeway.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kwyndig posted:

This came up in ADTRW but basically Tatsunoko gets next to nothing for royalties on later Macross stuff so they don't give a poo poo and would rather have HG's money than not.

Also the group you'd really want to talk to is Big West who absolutely do not seem to care.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I suspect the sticking point is Distant Realms. Most of Stygian Fox's Kickstarters have either delivered at least on their core product or are recent enough that delivery isn't that late. Distant Realms has languished for years, was due in 2016, and still isn't done.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

There was a thread in a forum where some dude went ''you should all report it to KS'' and a bunch of people did.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
https://twitter.com/frasersimons/status/1148314445753401344?s=19

e: Sorry, gnome, didn't realize you were a target or actually involved in this turd being exposed. I can remove the link if it's too lovely.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 9, 2019

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

I was unaware of that hate blog. I was happier being unaware. It's absolutely vile.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

ravenkult posted:

There was a thread in a forum where some dude went ''you should all report it to KS'' and a bunch of people did.

This thread, specifically.

Looking over the situation it seems like I was lucky in terms of which Stygian Fox projects I backed - and even then, that luck extended to "two projects delivered, plus one where I got a refund when I asked for one", which is still a 33% failure rate on delivering the goods.

On the one hand, it feels like Stygian Fox has been bitten in the rear end slightly by Kickstarter deciding to actually apply the "don't start a new project when you haven't fulfilled your previous project" rule, which is so erratically applied that I can't remember the last time I saw it bite. (It faintly astonishes me that Onyx Path haven't been caught by it already, for instance.) On balance, though, I feel like the Kickstarter ecosystem would be much healthier if the rule were actually applied consistently across the board, rather than being selectively applied and/or entirely waived.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

dwarf74 posted:

e: Sorry, gnome, didn't realize you were a target or actually involved in this turd being exposed. I can remove the link if it's too lovely.

Nah, you can keep it up. I didn't realize this guy was still mad at me, I've been ignoring him for years at this point. But it's a small hobby.

Still, wow he hates me way more than I realized, he just moved it over to this alt-blog after getting flak. Amazing.

edit: wow this blog is absolutely vile, I do not recommend checking it out.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 9, 2019

Warthur
May 2, 2004

(Particular highlights:

STYGIAN FOX HEAD HONCO STEPHANIE MCALEA: We're absolutely not using funds from new Kickstarters to cover the expenses of previous Kickstarters.

Kickstarter suspends Innsmouth '86 pledge drive.

ALSO STEPHANIE MCALEA: Well, good going assholes, now I won't be able to support myself or cover the expenses of the previous Kickstarters...)

A bit later in the thread, YSDC admin Paul of Cthulhu posts a screencap of a thread on the CoC Facebook group where McAlea was accusing him of being responsible for the suspension - on the basis of no apparent evidence whatsoever. (Why would Kickstarter disclose the identities of complainants to project creators?) She has generally decided that all of YSDC is against her - despite the fact that some of the selfsame people who expressed concerns on there about the new Kickstarter had said they were boosting their contributions to her Patreon to help her/Stygian Fox get through this hard patch.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 9, 2019

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

gnome7 posted:

Nah, you can keep it up. I didn't realize this guy was still mad at me, I've been ignoring him for years at this point. But it's a small hobby.

Still, wow he hates me way more than I realized, he just moved it over to this alt-blog after getting flak. Amazing.

edit: wow this blog is absolutely vile, I do not recommend checking it out.

I'm frankly insulted 6FU doesn't even get mentioned as part of your depravity. What's a guy gotta do to get noticed around here.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

dwarf74 posted:

The amount of universal hate this guy is getting across the tabletop rpg spectrum is impressive and well-deserved

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Holy gently caress that blog is some horrible transphobic garbage. If you find people who do want reviews of old weird RPGs, I trust you all know where to send them instead. gently caress.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

So you got me curious about how transphobic this person can be. Loaded up the website to take a look, and...

:stare:

God drat, this feels like the old days back on /tg/ when someone poked a nest of some kind and released 2d4 3d6 dire wasps that congealed into a single person spewing garbage. It's both refreshing and depressing. This guy really loving sucks.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

It's horribly vile but there's something oddly satisfying for me about imagining this guy slathering like a rabid dog over his keyboard about how the SJWs and [slurs] are terrible and uncreative and can't make anything good. He's screaming into the void begging for relevance, so much that he posted an update when he convinced someone not to buy something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

gently caress you Harmony Gold.