Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
2001, actually. Honestly, though, it was pretty much like playing a console game. Everything about the interface was designed from the ground up to be used with the keyboard, so it really didn't hurt the usability.

The much funnier part was a zero-day bug that multiplied objects exponentially when you put them back in a chest. The moment I realized that, the poor game just didn't have a chance anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Soiled Meat

Pseudohog posted:

My favourite thing about Gothic was that they only added mouse support at the last moment... until then it was planned to be keyboard only.

You looted chests by holding down left mouse button, shift, and an arrow key...

This in 2000 or so I think?

I know people bring up the control scheme as the main thing they hae about Gothic... But I love it. You can play the whole game with one hand because everything is invoked by using combinations of a handful of keys. It's incredibly easy to use and intuitive once you accept it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Soiled Meat

Cardiovorax posted:

What's it that makes people like The Technomancer? I looked into it back when it was new and I couldn't really find anyone saying a lot of positive things about it. One review put it as "it's a game in the same way frozen convenience store pizza is food" and that didn't really sound very appealing.

I don't know why mainstream reviews hated that game so much. It looks good, it has an interesting setting, plenty of quests, good voiceacting, acceptable combat... I mean. it is Eurojank, but it is by no means bad. In fact it is at points outright inspired, and arguably more technically competent than e.g. anything Bethesda has ever produced...

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

steinrokkan posted:

I know people bring up the control scheme as the main thing they hae about Gothic... But I love it. You can play the whole game with one hand because everything is invoked by using combinations of a handful of keys. It's incredibly easy to use and intuitive once you accept it.

:f5h::fap:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Soiled Meat

If you can play through the game without cranking your hog about the sexy molerats, you are a better person than me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

steinrokkan posted:

I don't know why mainstream reviews hated that game so much. It looks good, it has an interesting setting, plenty of quests, good voiceacting, acceptable combat... I mean. it is Eurojank, but it is by no means bad. In fact it is at points outright inspired, and arguably more technically competent than e.g. anything Bethesda has ever produced...
Well, it's certainly cheap enough. If you're that positive about it, I'll give it a shot one of these days.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The speedrun for two worlds is very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NeR-bT3uv0

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Technomancer is cool and I hope Greedfall owns.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Disposable Scud posted:

Technomancer is cool and I hope Greedfall owns.

I saw Greedfall at E3 a couple of years ago. I kind of dig it, if only because it's a weird fantasy version of the French and Indian War.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Just finished The Sinking City and overall I found it pretty enjoyable if never actually scary. It does fall into the very common trap of starting of pretty tense when you have a fairly weak arsenal but as the game goes on you get better weapons and figure out the weak points/patterns of the 5 types of enemies so the tension drops off as you go along. The investigation stuff is never really challenging but is there enough to give a taste of the "experience" of being a detective though the retrocognition thing is pretty much always just going from one place to another marking things 1-2-3-4 as you go along.
I honestly like the map system of marking addresses in the map yourself, I feel it's better than just going "I've marked it on your map" especially since the marks are only shown on the map for the current case. The districts being more like hubs makes the game feel like an empty open world and for me at least avoids the oasis/desert issue with so many open world games.
Unfortunately like a lot of games it falls apart at the ending which is just walking in corridors and pushing a button for good/bad/neutral ending.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Bogart posted:

The speedrun for two worlds is very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NeR-bT3uv0

this is very very good

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

SardonicTyrant posted:

How can anyone talk about eurojank and not mention EYE: Divine Cybermancy?

I forgot what that game was called! I played that back in the day and ground for hours until I had the stats to actually make that game playable, and eventually lost all my saves to a scripting error in one of the story missions that locked me in a room that was supposed to open but didn't because of eurojank. The plot was pretty incomprehensible, but it used a LOT of assets from Mamoru Oshii movies, and that was pretty cool. I'd go back and play this if not for the awful initial grind.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Skyscraper posted:

The plot was pretty incomprehensible, but it used a LOT of assets from Mamoru Oshii movies, and that was pretty cool.
For those who don't know, that's the guy who made Ghost In The Shell, so I guess now you know where they got it from - both of it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone know when you get some decent weapons in Sinking City, I've been dealing with stuff with a crappy pistol for too long

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Skyscraper posted:

I forgot what that game was called! I played that back in the day and ground for hours until I had the stats to actually make that game playable, and eventually lost all my saves to a scripting error in one of the story missions that locked me in a room that was supposed to open but didn't because of eurojank. The plot was pretty incomprehensible, but it used a LOT of assets from Mamoru Oshii movies, and that was pretty cool. I'd go back and play this if not for the awful initial grind.

There's a map you can download just to get experience/money/research really fast. Whenever i replay EYE I just level up there and unlock some of the fun stuff early.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Improbable Lobster posted:

There's a map you can download just to get experience/money/research really fast. Whenever i replay EYE I just level up there and unlock some of the fun stuff early.

Oh, neat! Thanks!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Soiled Meat

Sakurazuka posted:

Anyone know when you get some decent weapons in Sinking City, I've been dealing with stuff with a crappy pistol for too long

The only way is to progress through main quests. You get a weapon with each new chapter. And frankly, there is no reason not to rush the main story since there is no point in dilly dallying on exploration and such.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cheers

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Have I been conned by a friend, or does Night in the Woods actually delve into cosmic horror?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It does eventually

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Cheers! Just needed a little reassurance there. It's not nearly as twee and as "I can't adult without my coffee" as I thought it'd be, so I'm looking forward to pushing on with it tonight.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Drunken Baker posted:

Have I been conned by a friend, or does Night in the Woods actually delve into cosmic horror?

I wouldn't say it ever becomes a "horror game" but yeah those themes are there and it's a very good slow burn . You don't see games built with that kind of restraint very often IMO

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Drunken Baker posted:

It does but it's never actually a horror game and the cosmic horror elements kind of pale before much more mundane horrors of everyday life. That being said, NitW is an excellent game and I love the poo poo out of it.

Edit: Consider playing Lost Constellation if you end up liking it. It's a free side story game that came out before NitW did that plays into a story that's much more explicitly supernatural (because it's a fairy tale type story being told to a younger Mae).

Glagha fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 10, 2019

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Glagha posted:

It does but it's never actually a horror game and the cosmic horror elements kind of pale before much more mundane horrors of everyday life. That being said, NitW is an excellent game and I love the poo poo out of it.

Edit: Consider playing Lost Constellation if you end up liking it. It's a free side story game that came out before NitW did that plays into a story that's much more explicitly supernatural (because it's a fairy tale type story being told to a younger Mae).

I'll look into it, cheers!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Drunken Baker posted:

Sort of but probably not as much as you’ve been led to believe.

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
New chapter of Visage is out. And it nailed Something Awful thread darling Youtuber John Wolfe pretty good. He's usually pretty resistant to those things. (except in VR)

(Spoiler alert for the best kind of jumpscare)
https://twitter.com/JohnWolfeYT/status/1147662266751492096

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Holy poo poo that jumpscare was amazing. Like, without a sound or even motion. Just... something you weren't expecting.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Cyberdud posted:

New chapter of Visage is out. And it nailed Something Awful thread darling Youtuber John Wolfe pretty good. He's usually pretty resistant to those things. (except in VR)

(Spoiler alert for the best kind of jumpscare)
https://twitter.com/JohnWolfeYT/status/1147662266751492096

Hahahahah. That was loving great.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Anyone in here? Oh sorry, occupied, I’ll leave now.

Such an excellent jump scare. I’d have to go back and rewatch the first part but remember there seemed to be issues with the light/sanity mechanic in Visage, has that tightened up with the update?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

That is probably the best jumpscare I've seen since that one in Prey.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

"Your sanity is decreasing fast" lol

Glagha posted:

That is probably the best jumpscare I've seen since that one in Prey.

What are you referring to because I don't recall any in Prey?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Anyone in here? Oh sorry, occupied, I’ll leave now.

Such an excellent jump scare. I’d have to go back and rewatch the first part but remember there seemed to be issues with the light/sanity mechanic in Visage, has that tightened up with the update?

It functions noticeably the same it's just the game isn't as opaque about it. Candles prevent sanity decrease from the darkness but you have to set them down and the lighter doesn't prevent sanity decrease at all, it just helps you see in the dark. As your sanity decreases more scary stuff happens which further decreases sanity so it's a downward spiral until you trigger instant death.

If you visualize the sanity meter as starting at 100 and it decreases exponentially by your current sanity compared to max sanity, you can see how a temporary increase is only buying you minimal time. You're supposed to take pills until you're at max but John rations them which is why he keeps dying and it looks like the game as Resident Evil style adaptable difficulty so it'll always spawn more pills. Compare to MrKravin, I don't think he ever dies because he pops pills like mad once he hits red.

I don't think the system is inherently bad, it makes thematic sense that the worse your health is less resistant you become, but it's one of those things that's counter to how you would play most games. It reminds me of RE2 remake where headshots have a chance of instant death but the chance of a critical factored in to normal damage means if you miss a single shot you wasted your advantage so it's more efficient to aim for the center.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 10, 2019

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

I didn't expect The Sinking City to be a horror game but I thought it would at least have horror elements. Nope.

It's not even remotely spooky. It's not like they failed to create a compelling atmosphere, it's like they didn't even try. What a weird game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

al-azad posted:

When you are prompted to calibrate a screen by pressing a bunch of buttons on said screen by walking up to them an interacting with them.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Morpheus posted:

When you are

That could've used a spoiler.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

al-azad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cen5oyld8fw

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Either I completely missed that or shot the glass without ever interacting with it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
As soon as it went to calibrate I pulled out a shotgun. Ain't taking no poo poo.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

That's really sad because that is one of the funniest moments in that game and like, justification for the entire looking glass system.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's a great setpiece, but as a jumpscare it's really kinda crap. The whole thing is telegraphed so hard you can see it coming from a mile away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
What's the best way to play SH2 these days on PC?