Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I use WinClone for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

^^^ that's the ticket

You want Winclone Standard, Winclone Pro is the Enterprise product for doing large scale rollouts.

Carbon Copy Cloner is a great Mac app written by a long time Mac developer who is still working out (along with everyone else) how to work with Apples new APFS format. Doubt he'd bother with NTFS or other file systems.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I get that this is blocked and all, so I'm not in an existential panic, but how do I see what this software actually is, at least get a link to the folder it's in or something? Besides clicking 'Allow' which seems like a terrible idea.

I’m getting this bit with Firefox not being able to launch because of the auto update application it uses. I click allow and it just does it. Tried doing a view contents and right click-open on the updater, but Firefox still won’t launch. Pretty frustrating.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

KKKLIP ART posted:

I’m getting this bit with Firefox not being able to launch because of the auto update application it uses. I click allow and it just does it. Tried doing a view contents and right click-open on the updater, but Firefox still won’t launch. Pretty frustrating.

You are very much not alone on this one.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

You are very much not alone on this one.

I figured not, but I couldn’t come up with the right set of google search terms to figure out where else folks might have been complaining. Short term I just inspected elements and deleted the update app and that worked, but I also just want auto updates that work.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there any way to roll your own time machine backup using S3 or Glacier?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there any way to roll your own time machine backup using S3 or Glacier?

Arq?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Time Machine specifically, not just generic file versioning

eames
May 9, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Time Machine specifically, not just generic file versioning

pipe to /dev/null, same result as Time Machine over WAN and saves time/bandwidth

e: seriously arq is the way to go, TM doesn't work well over LAN let alone WAN. You could set up a VPN to a VPS running samba and back up to that but that's a hilariously horrible idea. restic and borgbackup are other decent alternatives, both available in brew.

eames fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 1, 2019

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I was looking at some of the LAN solutions with like creating a sparse image and moving it to a network share and mounting it on boot, but I'm not sure if you could do the same thing on S3? I have the bandwidth so speed isn't an issue, more technical limitations, if applicable.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

KKKLIP ART posted:

I figured not, but I couldn’t come up with the right set of google search terms to figure out where else folks might have been complaining. Short term I just inspected elements and deleted the update app and that worked, but I also just want auto updates that work.

I followed the same path, found nothing, and did the same "fix" you did.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Objective Development posted:

This version fixes a vulnerability which allows privilege escalation to root for any local user. Please upgrade before details of the vulnerability are published!
Welp time to upgrade Little Snitch I guess! :stare:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I use a few Spaces, usually at least 4 or 5. If I open up Lightroom in Space 1 - because that's where I usually am when I want it - and then drag it into some empty space, say 5, my view immediately snaps back to Space 1. I then switch back to Space 5, to LR - and I'm immediately bounced back to 1. The only way to keep this from happening is to close LR and reopen it from whichever space I want it to live. Lightroom is the only app that does this.

Why?

Edit: it appears that this is a thing. I assigned it to a desktop, that should fix it.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 3, 2019

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
What's the current ad blocker that's in vogue for Safari and compatible with the App Store extension regime? The ublock origin guy seems like he's both too busy and principled to deal with that.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I use Wipr and haven't had any issues with it at all but I think people were talking poo poo on it a while ago so it might suck or steal or your data or something I'm not sure.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

American McGay posted:

I use Wipr and haven't had any issues with it at all but I think people were talking poo poo on it a while ago so it might suck or steal or your data or something I'm not sure.

It dropped support for removing tracking cookies because it was over the limit on how many items it could have in its blocklist or something

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

MrBond posted:

What's the current ad blocker that's in vogue for Safari and compatible with the App Store extension regime? The ublock origin guy seems like he's both too busy and principled to deal with that.

I use AdGuard for Safari from the App Store. Seems to work well, though the latest version has the annoying habit of launching the settings window at every startup. Disabling "Launch AdGuard for Safari at Login" doesn't seem to fix it, but I don't have to restart that often so it doesn't bother me too much. I'll post about it at Github when my annoyance reaches a crescendo.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I still use uBlock Origin. Seems to work fine.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Weedle posted:

I still use uBlock Origin. Seems to work fine.

Yeah, it works for now but they are allegedly going to deprecate it at some point. Did Catalina kill it off?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

jackpot posted:

I use a few Spaces, usually at least 4 or 5. If I open up Lightroom in Space 1 - because that's where I usually am when I want it - and then drag it into some empty space, say 5, my view immediately snaps back to Space 1. I then switch back to Space 5, to LR - and I'm immediately bounced back to 1. The only way to keep this from happening is to close LR and reopen it from whichever space I want it to live. Lightroom is the only app that does this.

Why?

Edit: it appears that this is a thing. I assigned it to a desktop, that should fix it.

I get this too. Adobe are just the most loving garbage programmers on the planet.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MrBond posted:

I use AdGuard, works decently enough. My only real annoyance is not being able to sync up custom stuff between devices, might be possible but not as easily as just turning on a checkbox.

I think 1Blocker was another one of the newer more full featured ones after the content blocking API came out way back, afaik that one is still going.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

This isn't software related, but who cares. I figured Mac people would have better suggestions than someone who's built a PC, so: how do you guys go about storing a bunch fo SD cards and flash drives? I'm about to just say gently caress it and buy some Altoids cans, but I feel like there *has* to be an easier way.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

LODGE NORTH posted:

This isn't software related, but who cares. I figured Mac people would have better suggestions than someone who's built a PC, so: how do you guys go about storing a bunch fo SD cards and flash drives? I'm about to just say gently caress it and buy some Altoids cans, but I feel like there *has* to be an easier way.

How about one of those massive tackle boxes?

FuzzyBuddha
Dec 7, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

I use something like this SD folder.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

LODGE NORTH posted:

Media wallets are a thing. How many cards are you talking about here? Look at this category.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Memory-Card-Cases/ci/19697/N/4084274957

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Hi thread. Does anyone know of a trick or an extension that lets you configure certain bookmarks to always open in a new private tab/window, regardless of the current type of window?

I loathe YouTube's recommendation and tracking poo poo but it's a bit of a pain to always open a new private window before clicking the button in the bookmark bar, so I'd like to set that bookmark to go to private mode every time. Note that this does not mean I want to run Safari in private mode all the time, which I know you can do from the preferences.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Weatherman posted:

Hi thread. Does anyone know of a trick or an extension that lets you configure certain bookmarks to always open in a new private tab/window, regardless of the current type of window?

I loathe YouTube's recommendation and tracking poo poo but it's a bit of a pain to always open a new private window before clicking the button in the bookmark bar, so I'd like to set that bookmark to go to private mode every time. Note that this does not mean I want to run Safari in private mode all the time, which I know you can do from the preferences.

I don't know about Safari, but I think Firefox's Containers feature would accomplish the same thing.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Weatherman posted:

AppleScript might be able to do what you want?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Every once in a while I get a external USB HD that one of my Macs will not seem to recognize.

I think it has something to do with it not being un-mounted cleanly based on some of the Console messages. If I take it and connect it to a Windows or Linux machine, I can mount it (sometimes I have to check for errors), and then safely remove the drive and it will work just fine on my Mac.

Is there some kind of way to force the disk check if you can't get the drive to show up in Disk Utility or Finder? It's ExFAT if that matters. Otherwise I end up rebooting or just doing random poo poo until it decides it wants to show up again.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I’m dealing with the same thing right now so I’m interested in this as well!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Is there an anything that’ll temporarily disable hot corners, preferably without requiring enabling access for assistive devices? I’m trying to play BattleTech and have to scroll the map with the keyboard because I keep triggering Mission Control or the menu bar.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bob Morales posted:

Every once in a while I get a external USB HD that one of my Macs will not seem to recognize.

I think it has something to do with it not being un-mounted cleanly based on some of the Console messages. If I take it and connect it to a Windows or Linux machine, I can mount it (sometimes I have to check for errors), and then safely remove the drive and it will work just fine on my Mac.

Is there some kind of way to force the disk check if you can't get the drive to show up in Disk Utility or Finder? It's ExFAT if that matters. Otherwise I end up rebooting or just doing random poo poo until it decides it wants to show up again.

Use Terminal.

diskutil list

(figure out which row is your ExFAT filesystem, use the Identifier column in the next command)

fsck_exfat /dev/diskXsY

You can also use "diskutil mount /dev/diskXsY" to tell the system to mount a device.

Much of Disk Utility is just a GUI wrapper for diskutil, fsck_*, and a few other command line tools. Disk Utility doesn't expose all their functionality and hides their diagnostic output by default, so if you've got a problem that Disk Utility can't solve on its own, it may be time to go to the command line, read up on the relevant tool's man page, and invoke the command line tool yourself.

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 8, 2019

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Lazyhound posted:

Is there an anything thatll temporarily disable hot corners, preferably without requiring enabling access for assistive devices? Im trying to play BattleTech and have to scroll the map with the keyboard because I keep triggering Mission Control or the menu bar.

Disk Utility seems to get more and more useless as time goes on. I'll try that out next time, thanks!

Violator
May 15, 2003

Lazyhound posted:

Is there an anything that’ll temporarily disable hot corners, preferably without requiring enabling access for assistive devices? I’m trying to play BattleTech and have to scroll the map with the keyboard because I keep triggering Mission Control or the menu bar.

You can change hot corners to require a modifier key (like cmd or option) by holding those buttons when you configure the hot corner. That doesn’t help you specifically but it’s an option if you don’t mind changing their activation a little in your normal use.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay idiot question; I don't want my Mac to take phone calls but I don't know how to turn this off. Searching on Google literally gets me nothing that answers my question. :confused:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
On your iphone go to Settings> Phone > Calls on Other Devices .

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Assuming it's connected to an iPhone, go to that iPhone:

Settings > Phone > Calls on Other Devices

If On, set to off.

e;f;b

Also on the Mac:

System Preferences > General > Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices

If checked, set to unchecked.

This will stop those random icons popping up next to your Finder in your Dock if that annoys you.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 8, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I can't believe it was that simple, thank you! I am a dumb. But yeah, this is on an iPhone.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Violator posted:

You can change hot corners to require a modifier key (like cmd or option) by holding those buttons when you configure the hot corner. That doesn’t help you specifically but it’s an option if you don’t mind changing their activation a little in your normal use.

whaaaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Violator posted:

Just when you think you know all the tricks