Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Doc Hawkins posted:

this probably started with jodorowsky, his storyboards showed (and his story hinged on) a luminous blue glow coming from a luminous soul

The more I think about it the more I think he had the wrong ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

here's the landsraad

Oh, Commissioner Reagan and your crazy shades.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

phasmid posted:

The more I think about it the more I think he had the wrong ideas.
It's more likely than you think!

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
Sandworms? In my Rakis?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Found images of the extremely rare Ix and Landsraad expansions

Couple of Ixty9ers here

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This Messiah fucks!

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Found images of the extremely rare Ix and Landsraad expansions

Change my name to Charles Bronso, tia

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Temaukel posted:

Change my name to Charles Bronso, tia

Charles Bronso is...the MechanIx.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

lol Ghanima totally MacGyver'd herself a blowgun out of a sandsnorkel in Children of Dune.

Imagine 10,000 years of accumulated life hacks.

It's a wonder they aren't insufferable mixes of Sherlock Holmes, MacGyver, the A-Team and Bear Grylls.

This week on SOS: Other Memories vs Wild Frontier episode 12: Naked and I Must Not Fear, Arya teaches you how to rescue your trapped Carryall from a sandtrap using nothing but a maker hook and your own poop cake

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

kiimo posted:

Imagine 10,000 years of accumulated life hacks.

It's a wonder they aren't insufferable mixes of Sherlock Holmes, MacGyver, the A-Team and Bear Grylls.

This week on SOS: Other Memories vs Wild Frontier episode 12: Naked and I Must Not Fear, Arya teaches you how to rescue your trapped Carryall from a sandtrap using nothing but a maker hook and your own poop cake

Poop foam is a better sand stabilizer than para-compass acid with spice.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

kiimo posted:

There should be a Frictional Games-esque game where you're Alia running through your own mind and you have to hide from the Baron.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

THE BAR posted:

Oh, Commissioner Reagan and your crazy shades.

That dude's gotta be based on a photo of Jim Jones.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Bautista just put this out on his instagram.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Such perfect casting

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

bad man

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I thought rabban was his surname? Isn’t his first name Glossu?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah, he’s not called Harkonnen in the book because his dad renounced the name to take up his present position as count of wherever

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Feyd-Rautha is also a Rabban, but he takes the Harkonnen name upon officially joining his uncle's household. Glossu is essentially passed over. e: otoh, Glossu had already inherited as Count of Lankiviel, ahead of Feyd.

It's a detail that barely matters in the book, and for the movie it makes sense to make them both Harkonnen for simplicity, and probably to play up the rivalry between Glossu and Feyd as potential heirs.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 5, 2019

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah, I get it. I mean, I never really thought of him as Rabban Harkonnen. I normally think of him as Beast Rabban. Though, in recent years, I've had a tendency to rename him in my head after one of my recent Skyrim characters, Meatbrick Punch-hard.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Casting Dave Bautista will likely only further encourage that tendency.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Casting Dave Bautista will likely only further encourage that tendency.

Likely true. Meatbrick was basically a mix of Drax and Groot. A man who would beat everyone to death, but was so stupid he could only say his own name.

Getting back to Dune, I really like the idea of Feyd being the anti-Paul. In light of that, I kind of hope that whoever plays Feyd looks a lot like Timothee Chalamet.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Reminder that David Dastmalchian is my childhood friend and this is just blowing my mind so much

kiimo fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 6, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

Reminder that David Dastmalchian is my childhood friend and this is just blowing my mind so much

Oh, Coco.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Is that feyd?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Is that feyd?

That right there is a twisted mentat.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm a bit worried that we are going to get a Feydless Dune, based on some speculation from a goon above about merging his character with Rabban (why'd they pick such a high-profile actor for such a small, bumbling part), and the fact that we still haven't heard of Feyd being cast. I get merging characters to streamline the plot, but I think if this one is true that it'd be a big mistake.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm a bit worried that we are going to get a Feydless Dune, based on some speculation from a goon above about merging his character with Rabban (why'd they pick such a high-profile actor for such a small, bumbling part), and the fact that we still haven't heard of Feyd being cast. I get merging characters to streamline the plot, but I think if this one is true that it'd be a big mistake.

2nd movie.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I hadn't heard of Stellan Skarsgard until this thread, and hadn't seen him act until Chernobyl. He should make a sick Baron, his voice and general evil look that can be masked by joviality will hopefully be put to good use.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shaddak posted:

That right there is a twisted mentat.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still want to eat Fallout Mentats.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Cutting Feyd would be an absolutely bonkers decision since they don't have to cut this down to two hours.

Maybe, but it would still be better to introduce him in this one.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Villenueve has on multiple occasions said he plans on following the book(s) much closer than Lynch, getting rid of feyd would kind of torpedo that approach. I’m sure he’ll be in.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
poo poo that means no cat milking

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

I hadn't heard of Stellan Skarsgard until this thread, and hadn't seen him act until Chernobyl. He should make a sick Baron, his voice and general evil look that can be masked by joviality will hopefully be put to good use.

You have to have seen him before in films, he’s in a ton of stuff.

A favourite of mine is him as Gregor in Ronin.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

priznat posted:

You have to have seen him before in films, he’s in a ton of stuff.

A favourite of mine is him as Gregor in Ronin.

I know we talked about this earlier in the thread, but I'll never miss the opportunity to say how awesome that loving movie is.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

phasmid posted:

I know we talked about this earlier in the thread, but I'll never miss the opportunity to say how awesome that loving movie is.

:hellyeah: it is really such an odd movie because it has no backstory or exposition or anything and it is full of absolutely mostly heartless bastards.

I love it when movies just let you figure things out on your own (something Villeneuve movies also do really well)

Also still the best car chases put to film :colbert:

Five seconds Mikhi..

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Totally. The movie tells the story purely through the actions of characters. And the exposition is only there if you're paying attention.

"I never left. I never left, you understand?"

priznat posted:

Also still the best car chases put to film :colbert:

Hands down.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The romance subplot is a bit odd but it is foreshadowed by Dierdre when she says “A wealthy scoundrel seduced and betrayed me” as to why she’s in the biz..

Although in this case, she seduces Sam.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I was going to say he was just using her but then he lets her go at the end. I thought it was kinda touching. Besides his friendship with Vincent, the character is a machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

phasmid posted:

I was going to say he was just using her but then he lets her go at the end. I thought it was kinda touching. Besides his friendship with Vincent, the character is a machine.

Yeah he even mopes for her a bit hoping she comes back to the bar.

I like that version better than the cut scene (was on the dvd, also had awesome footage of how the chases were performed using right hand drive cars and drivers in the trunk etc) that has the vw bus pull up and a gang of irish abduct her. Leaves it open for how it went.

One of the few movies I own both on DVD and Bluray (1080p), should get the 4K one off itunes I suppose :haw: