Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

they're getting a whole loving lot less money from this than the alternative, there's a very wide chunk of Macross that HG has explicitly and specifically said they will never allow to be officially released in America

HG doesn't want potential for big money, they want steady guaranteed money because they're owned by an investment firm that handles retirement funds. They, quite literally, are paid to not give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i'm not saying HG's actions are incomprehensible, i'm saying Tatsunoko offering them an extension is batshit

naturally HG's going to leave money on the table, they've been very clear that they're deliberately sitting on Macross so they can keep people interested in Robotech instead. you'd think Tatsunoko would look at this and go "okay, these fuckers are actively damaging our brand for their own gain, why the gently caress are we working with them?" and kill the deal at the earliest opportunity, not loving extend it.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Tatsunoko is not involved with the newer Macross shows, so in that sense they might be doing this partially out of spite. The property itself is not theirs, just the international distribution rights for one TV show.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

wielder posted:

Tatsunoko is not involved with the newer Macross shows, so in that sense they might be doing this partially out of spite. The property itself is not theirs, just the international distribution rights for one TV show.
If they're not involved then why does Harmony Gold have the power to prevent other people from licensing later Macross shows?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Zereth posted:

If they're not involved then why does Harmony Gold have the power to prevent other people from licensing later Macross shows?

Because HG does own the trademark rights to the name "Macross" outside of Japan.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zereth posted:

Because a US judge decided that figuring out the actual copyrights for Macross would be too hard, and awarded HG complete control of the franchise in America. This has gone from absolute to sketchy ever since a different judge told HG to eat poo poo for suing the makers of Battletech lately, but as long as Japanese rights holders are nominally on board, they have leverage.

If it was just trademarks, they'd be able to just release it as "Makrozz" or something without dealing with HG. It's the IP as a whole.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

If it was just trademarks, they'd be able to just release it as "Makrozz" or something without dealing with HG. It's the IP as a whole.

I think they could try to do that, on paper. As long as someone would be willing to take a chance. That said, Macross Plus is still legally available for purchase without HG being involved, so they haven't always enforced the trademark (presumably because the first release of Macross Plus was before HG had formally registered the Macross name in the US?).

As far as I know, HG does have the IP rights for the Robotech version of Macross, but not for any of the Macross sequels.

I don't think the US court cases gave them any right to the entire IP covering even unreleased shows where Tatsunoko never participated. They don't have any rights to Frontier or to Delta. Tatsunoko has zero involvement in their creation or distribution.

The recent arbitration recognized that Big West still had the rights to 41 character designs taken from the original show, whatever that means, not Tatsunoko or Harmony Gold.

Seems you have a different interpretation of those cases, but it is not like we are legal scholars here.

wielder fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 6, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I finished VOTOMS: Pailsen Files today. I'm kind of torn on this one.

I'm not sure there was a need for yet another prequel about Chirico's past, but the stuff we did get was mostly pretty solid. Sort of like the Kummen Arc in the original anime, I think I would say Pailsen Files also does 08th MS Team better than 08th MS Team did- though in this case it's less about "Gundam in Vietnnam" as much as the "small battalion in way over their heads" factor I'm thinking of.

I think the big point of contention for me with this OVA are the mecha battles themselves. On the one hand, in terms of pure choreography I think are some of the best Scopedog scenes this franchise has produced yet. Some of these battles are pretty dynamic looking- like I enjoyed the "D-Day" battle in the opening battle and the goofy poo poo it had like the mat with tracks that could allow the Scopedogs to travel up hills and cliffs. On the other hand the CG mechs themselves (Which presumably are a bit part of why they were able to get away with some of what they were able to, I'd imagine) are honestly kind of terrible looking. Like, to a point where its distracting. At times it feels like I'm watching cutscenes from a VOTOMS video game or something, or like one of the intro videos from a SRW game.

Watching them back to back I think I enjoyed Pailsen Files more than Shining Heresy all things considered but man. I can't get over the CG Scopedogs.

Anyways since its a few weeks until the second OVA collection comes out on SD Blu-ray, I think I'll finally start Xabungle for the time being.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Pailsen Files is definitely the better of the two imo, but the CG is absolutely awful and cutscene from a bad PS2 game is exactly what I'd describe it as.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

First three episodes of Xabungle were fun, I really enjoyed the "American western, but with mecha" setting here. I hope it stays committed to it.

Sure are a lot of Tomino names in these first three episodes; Chill, Rag, Dr. Medick, Dyke, Carrying Cargo (My personal favorite), Fatman etc.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Macross 7's first two episodes may be the most fun I've had with anime in over a year. Breaking into a military sci-fi show to sing jpop at both sides is incredible.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I really like how introduce Basara in that first episode by having him hang upside down like he's a vampire of some kind.

Macross 7 is a blast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Macross 7's first two episodes may be the most fun I've had with anime in over a year. Breaking into a military sci-fi show to sing jpop at both sides is incredible.

MX7 has some pacing issues but I'll go to bat for it being the best Macross.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think 7 is probably the best of the full TV shows (Though I honestly I immensely loved all of them, even Frontier and Delta. I can't express enough just how much the Harmony Gold news guts me), but I think Plus is better thing overall and probably has the least amount of caveats that you'd have to add to it (Historical and genre context etc.) to get someone to watch it.

Of course a four episode OVA is a monumentally different thing than a 49 episode beast that has several little side OVA's/movies/etc. in its own right.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Anyways I'm very saddened about what happened to unsung hero Carrying Cargo in episode 4 of Xabungle. I thought this was supposed to be Happy Tomino!!!???? Have goons lied to me?????

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Plus might need a mature content warning for some fans, who might enjoy 7’s silliness more anyway. I know I like the power of keytars.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

HitTheTargets posted:

Plus might need a mature content warning for some fans, who might enjoy 7’s silliness more anyway. I know I like the power of keytars.
Eh if that's going to be a problem for people in Plus its going to be a problem for them in 7 eventually as well where its way more out of place.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The episode of 7 where all the characters are preparing for what they think is a suicide mission is the best thing in the entire franchise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

The episode of 7 where all the characters are preparing for what they think is a suicide mission is the best thing in the entire franchise.

It really is. The cast of 7 is incredibly strong as a whole and the direction is top-notch. The way it uses music (and not just the characters playing songs in battle) puts every other Macross to shame.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
It also has an amazing OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzagb1jQjxo

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

MX7 has some pacing issues but I'll go to bat for it being the best Macross.

I've heard Macross Seven described as a good 24 episode anime.

Unfortunately, it's 49 episodes long.

It's got a lot of things that seem really interesting, the songs are great, and it uses the VF-19, which is rad, but hearing about the pacing scares me off.

I also get what people mean about Plus being Macross for people who are scared of Macross. Adult main cast, music being more a problem than a solution in general, no weird metaphysics, and a love triangle where everyone is trying (and failing) to get over each other, unlike the usual teenage mooning about. It's basically cool pilots getting into rad transforming dogfights while working out how their personal lives are burning tire fires as a great soundtrack plays.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

chiasaur11 posted:

I've heard Macross Seven described as a good 24 episode anime.

Unfortunately, it's 49 episodes long.

that's every 49+ episode anime, tho

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I dunno, I think Eureka Seven uses it's longer runtime to slowly build up the characters and setting over time rather well.

And G-Reco is the only Tomino show with not enough episode sinstead of too many.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

And G-Reco is the only Tomino show with not enough episode sinstead of too many.
Eh G-Reco still wastes a fair amount of time with what it does have making sure every episode has a battle scene- this kind of thing is more forgivable in his 80's shows but seems difficult to defend for something made in 2014 (Especially when IBO right after did have entire episodes without mecha battles). There's also an argument to be made that the cast should have been pared down somewhat in pre-production stages (Though I suppose for all we know it already was at some point. That's a frightening thought).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MonsieurChoc posted:

I dunno, I think Eureka Seven uses it's longer runtime to slowly build up the characters and setting over time rather well.

I thought Eureka Seven could have done what it wanted to do in 24 episodes, easily, without sacrificing much at all.

Raxivace posted:

Eh G-Reco still wastes a fair amount of time with what it does have making sure every episode has a battle scene- this kind of thing is more forgivable in his 80's shows but seems difficult to defend for something made in 2014 (Especially when IBO right after did have entire episodes without mecha battles). There's also an argument to be made that the cast should have been pared down somewhat in pre-production stages (Though I suppose for all we know it already was at some point. That's a frightening thought).

I've thought about the "G-Reco could cut a lot of pointless battle scenes and be fine" idea, because it's one I used to share, but I think I've soured on it and am instead now firmly in the camp of "it needed more time to breathe".

A lot of the seemingly pointless battle scenes in G-Reco, while not really necessary or important for the overarching plot, are actually used as drivers for a whole lot of the character development we get. It's through battle scenes that we get a complete picture of Aida's drive to prove herself in a way that she's absolutely not cut out for, of Mask's simmering resentment and jealousy towards Bellri, and so on. You could either cut that stuff out(which costs you character development) or you could reapportion it to other scenes, but if you do the latter then you barely gain any time at all by cutting the battle scenes to spend on exploring the complex political dogfight at the heart of G-Reco's plotline that is usually the source of confusion.

We'll have to see how the movies play it out, since the movies will almost definitely be freed from the "must have 2-10 minutes of robot fighting every 25 minutes" stipulation.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Anyways I'm very saddened about what happened to unsung hero Carrying Cargo in episode 4 of Xabungle. I thought this was supposed to be Happy Tomino!!!???? Have goons lied to me?????

Happy Tomino is just regular Tomino with more slap stick. Daitarn is "happy tomino" but that got dark as gently caress.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
the story line about the Xabungle characters' changing perception of death is fantastic

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Raxivace posted:

Welcome to hell

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I guess I was just expecting more focus on slapstick based on few internet discussions I've seen on Xabungle and what qualifies as "Happy" Tomino. I suppose Daitarn did get darker but I also think the darker aspects aren't actually handled all that well in that particular series.

I'm fine with Xabungle being the way it is though, I'm quite enjoying it so far.

Kanos posted:

G-Reco stuff
Tbh my gut reaction is that I think we get those kinds of moments outside of battle scenes already as well (I.e. Mask whining about Bellri and such) though this could very well be my memory becoming distorted and conflating stuff that happens in battle scenes with other parts of the show.

Either way, yeah, it'll be interesting to see how the movies handle things. Ideally I'd like to do a rewatch of the show before the movies start coming out but I feel a stronger drive to watch through Xabungle/L-Gaim/Gainer at the moment.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Granbelm has brought up Ryu Knight and Mashin Hero Wataru in the chat thread. Are there any other 'squat' robot series to throw on the pile?

I've been wanting to reference this style for a project without having only SRW for examples.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Ranzear posted:

Granbelm has brought up Ryu Knight and Mashin Hero Wataru in the chat thread. Are there any other 'squat' robot series to throw on the pile?

I've been wanting to reference this style for a project without having only SRW for examples.

Iron Leaguer

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ranzear posted:

SD Gundam is a big one.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ranzear posted:

There's been a bunch of SD Gundam anime, if those count.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Droyer posted:

Iron Leaguer

Dang. Now I wanna play some 2020 Super Baseball.

SD Gundam I was aware of, but the heads start getting silly large and ... the eyes ... :stare:

I guess I could drill it down to: Distinct torso, equal size arms and legs, large foot area, square proportion overall. I'm going for 'compact' instead of cute, since these are land-air-space capable machines for a 2D game project.

I also can't help but notice these are all Sunrise.

Thanks guys!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will go to bat for Iron Leaguer (PUN INTENDED) 10 times out of 10. That show is a lot better than you'd think at first blush.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ranzear posted:

NG Knight Lamune & 40.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Ranzear posted:

SD Gundam I was aware of, but the heads start getting silly large and ... the eyes ... :stare:

I guess I could drill it down to: Distinct torso, equal size arms and legs, large foot area, square proportion overall. I'm going for 'compact' instead of cute, since these are land-air-space capable machines for a 2D game project.

Thanks guys!

various Dreadnoughts from Warhammer 40,000

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Sakura Wars is pretty close too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Droyer posted:

Iron Leaguer

Apropos of nothing, but I'm disappointed that Sunrise hasn't produced a mecha rugby show (in Iron Leaguer's vein, or any other) for the coming season given that Japan will be hosting the Rugby World Cup in a few weeks time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ranzear posted:

Thanks guys!

Dai-guard, kind of? And some of the mechs in king gainer