Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

OSU_Matthew posted:

Awesome, thanks! Just gotta sort through racks and find something to buy that hopefully fits... man I wish this were more standardized.

I think I’ve still got rock straps and stuff from strapping things down like that on my last bike, gotta find those, and maybe also an aftermarket replacement for the top case rack? Not sure how good the stock one is yet...

Right now I just want to get some hard luggage so I can throw my helmet and gear in there when I arrive at my destination, or a change of shoes and stuff for hiking. But the versys aftermarket isn’t as robust as the V Strom and all the racks I’m seeing ship from the UK, so definitely gotta try and figure out exactly what I want luggage wise before being stuck with the wrong or incompatible luggage. Also need to find a replacement ram mount, since I forgot to take that off when I sold my last bike, and maybe a dedicated motorcycle gps and charging port too. Bike handles loving great though... a bit vibratey, but plenty of power on the throttle at highway speeds :getin:

Do you get a weird little window of super vibration between 4k and 5k RPM? Somewhere between those two points every bit of plastic on my dash starts buzzing, then goes away as soon as I get beyond that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

Awesome, thanks! Just gotta sort through racks and find something to buy that hopefully fits... man I wish this were more standardized.

I think I’ve still got rock straps and stuff from strapping things down like that on my last bike, gotta find those, and maybe also an aftermarket replacement for the top case rack? Not sure how good the stock one is yet...

Right now I just want to get some hard luggage so I can throw my helmet and gear in there when I arrive at my destination, or a change of shoes and stuff for hiking. But the versys aftermarket isn’t as robust as the V Strom and all the racks I’m seeing ship from the UK, so definitely gotta try and figure out exactly what I want luggage wise before being stuck with the wrong or incompatible luggage. Also need to find a replacement ram mount, since I forgot to take that off when I sold my last bike, and maybe a dedicated motorcycle gps and charging port too. Bike handles loving great though... a bit vibratey, but plenty of power on the throttle at highway speeds :getin:

There's an OEM charging port that can be added to the left/right on the dash, there's USB and 12v ones. Powering a GPS is easy too (as long as the aux relay is installed, might not be on your bike). On the left-hand side above the radiator there's bullet connectors for heated grips, those are handy for a GPS, also the clutch side mirror perch fits a ram mount.

On my girlfriend's Versys we added a Givi hugger, Puig taller smoke windscreen, the GPS, and I had a shorter key cut for the luggage, the stock key is long and easily bends. Also she got a radiator guard that says 'Versys' from China. It came with Hepco & Becker crash bars.

I really like the v650, it's not expensive and doesn't feel too budget, apart from the fact that everything's built a bit tractor-like but that does make it more durable I guess. I hope they don't come out with a redesign that matches the new Versys 1000, which I feel is really ugly.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Fender posted:

Do you get a weird little window of super vibration between 4k and 5k RPM? Somewhere between those two points every bit of plastic on my dash starts buzzing, then goes away as soon as I get beyond that.

Maybe? That’s usually right about where I keep the throttle, so I’m going to have to look out for that next time, because I noticed my hands were numb like riding a KLR last time I was out for awhile on the bike, which is surprising because it feels pretty smooth for the most part.

High Protein posted:

There's an OEM charging port that can be added to the left/right on the dash, there's USB and 12v ones. Powering a GPS is easy too (as long as the aux relay is installed, might not be on your bike). On the left-hand side above the radiator there's bullet connectors for heated grips, those are handy for a GPS, also the clutch side mirror perch fits a ram mount.

On my girlfriend's Versys we added a Givi hugger, Puig taller smoke windscreen, the GPS, and I had a shorter key cut for the luggage, the stock key is long and easily bends. Also she got a radiator guard that says 'Versys' from China. It came with Hepco & Becker crash bars.

I really like the v650, it's not expensive and doesn't feel too budget, apart from the fact that everything's built a bit tractor-like but that does make it more durable I guess. I hope they don't come out with a redesign that matches the new Versys 1000, which I feel is really ugly.

Agreed, I very much love the dual headlight, sv 650ish design... I hope it doesn’t revert to the gimped mono headlight.

Bought sw motech crash bars, and looking at charging ports now. Only oem one I’m seeing is on ridiculously expensive, so I think I’m just going to DIY it and get a versys relay and water resistant usb charging port. May have some questions about that once I start digging in, but it looks pretty straightforward.

E: what gps did you buy, if you don’t mind me asking?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

E: what gps did you buy, if you don’t mind me asking?

She got a 2nd hand Zumo 350. All motorcycle GPS units are overpriced and have quirks that take getting used to, but I still prefer it to using a phone; also I prefer using Garmin's BaseCamp software for route management over some online solution. The newer Garmins are supposed to be faster, the 350 is quite slow when scrolling around. I myself am still using an even older one, a 220, which is really slow, but I'm used to its quirks so I'll keep using it for now.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I paid $50 for this bike #workperks

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

By the looks of it, you rescued it from an early and undignified death.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Does it run? I'm assuming not for $50, but you never know

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

Does it run? I'm assuming not for $50, but you never know

Even if it's not you could turn around and flip that thing on CL for $500 and the buyer wouldn't even bat an eye. The wheels and tank would go for a few hundred by themselves

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

Even if it's not you could turn around and flip that thing on CL for $500 and the buyer wouldn't even bat an eye. The wheels and tank would go for a few hundred by themselves

That’s exactly why I bought it the second it was offered. It does run.

It needs:
Fork seals
Valve check
Wheel bearings
Tires
Either just a clutch cable or a whole clutch
Front MC rebuild

After that it’s good to go (unless I discover more issues).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Lol, that is a ridiculous good deal, even with those issues.

Have fun, and LMK if you have any more $50 DRZs floating around.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Sagebrush and I went up to where the great pacific trash heap, ahem, the internet cable hits CA coast. It was a fun ride.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I know they sell guards for your bike that protect fairings too. Not just engine covers. Also rear loops that protrude further than side bags.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Oh my god, the drz has an athena big bore cylinder. 😂

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

God I love the Hawk GT in that blue :allears:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

M42 posted:

Oh my god, the drz has an athena big bore cylinder. 😂

Was it a friend that sold it to you, or something? You’d think they’d spend 5 minutes googling the thing before trying to sell it. :stare:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I’m a mechanic at a big dealership, it was a tradein that’s been sitting around. No real info from PO. We see so many bikes per day it’s easy to miss poo poo like an aftermarket cyl unless it’s super obvious.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pastor of muppets posted:

God I love the Hawk GT in that blue :allears:

First year only baby :c00lbert:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

M42 posted:

I’m a mechanic at a big dealership, it was a tradein that’s been sitting around. No real info from PO. We see so many bikes per day it’s easy to miss poo poo like an aftermarket cyl unless it’s super obvious.
How far are you from Philly and also how much for it in road trip ready condition?

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Went out for a coffee with a friend, i guess it looks appropriate for this Day

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Discovered a Class-IV road very close by, had to check it out.

On my way back I came across a couple on a bike who were lost, and, oddly enough, trying to find the ~15-house dead end road that I live on, so that was convenient for them. I cautioned them that I might go slower than they'd like, but then had to continually slow down for them to catch up, because I was on something vaguely resembling a dual sport, and they were riding 2-up on a Harley on these roads.

I didn't go any further than this, because the idea of getting the bike stuck back there, solo, and having to walk ~10 miles seemed bad. I need to find a dual sport buddy around here.

I should probably also put my plate on, ha, though bikes seem to be invisible to cops here.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 4, 2019

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I went for an early morning ride to our local observatory

It was clearly a federal holiday as I saw some rear end in a top hat backing up some 50 yards on a highway on ramp.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Discovered a Class-IV road very close by, had to check it out.

On my way back I came across a couple on a bike who were lost, and, oddly enough, trying to find the ~15-house dead end road that I live on, so that was convenient for them. I cautioned them that I might go slower than they'd like, but then had to continually slow down for them to catch up, because I was on something vaguely resembling a dual sport, and they were riding 2-up on a Harley on these roads.

I didn't go any further than this, because the idea of getting the bike stuck back there, solo, and having to walk ~10 miles seemed bad. I need to find a dual sport buddy around here.

I should probably also put my plate on, ha, though bikes seem to be invisible to cops here.

Not like even regular drivers see us, in cars without laptops and radio chatter.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I don't know..no license plate would be the perfect way of getting spotted by the police here..

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I wish I had a good GoPro or something with snapchat mode, because the best vistas were often in spots where I couldn't snap pics, once again.

Under the Alps, From Vicenza to Rovereto to Lavarone to Vicenza. Roughly 220 kilometers with not a single spot of straight road. Speed limit is your personal courage.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Unf.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I took a day off work so that I could ride to Bern and then Thum in Switzerland. I took the highways home and the traffic was brutal. Seeing other Swiss bikers lane split encouraged me to say, “gently caress it” and try lane splitting as well. Holy poo poo is it awesome!!

Thum is pretty. I won’t post the beautiful pics of the sunbathers...

Time to power up! That’s a banana case you sick weirdos.

I’m still not used to motorcycle parking in Europe. I guess this will be fine? It’s on a sidewalk and there is another bike here. That’s makes it legal... RIGHT?!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I've collected more parking fines fpr my bike the last 6 month than I've done in 20 years of driving, by doing just that..."Oh there's another bike there...must be fine'.
Around work, they will mostly ignore it, but from time to time, whether it's a new guy or someone having a bad day, virtually all the bikes will get ticketed.
It's still works out way cheaper than driving/paying for parking, so it's sorta ok.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Went out for a coffee with a friend, i guess it looks appropriate for this Day

Camaro AND a Dyna?! 'Murica as all hell!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Crayvex posted:

I’m still not used to motorcycle parking in Europe. I guess this will be fine? It’s on a sidewalk and there is another bike here. That’s makes it legal... RIGHT?!

It all depends. Rule of thumb is that the more north you go, the stricter the rules get and the more your bike is treated as a car. In Italy, if I'd park my motorcycle onto a regular car parking spot, I'd either get a ticket or an angry mob and it's commonly not only allowed, but strictly encouraged to bike your bike where ever you can. Right next to the store is fine. Only tickets would be handed (and only during business hours) in front of important buildings, or ZTLs, Zona Traffico Limitato exclusion zones. Other than that, go loving ham. In France, southern France is similar, but northern france is not. Get a feel for the place you are in, or ask some local bikers!

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

It all depends. Rule of thumb is that the more north you go, the stricter the rules get and the more your bike is treated as a car. In Italy, if I'd park my motorcycle onto a regular car parking spot, I'd either get a ticket or an angry mob and it's commonly not only allowed, but strictly encouraged to bike your bike where ever you can. Right next to the store is fine. Only tickets would be handed (and only during business hours) in front of important buildings, or ZTLs, Zona Traffico Limitato exclusion zones. Other than that, go loving ham. In France, southern France is similar, but northern france is not. Get a feel for the place you are in, or ask some local bikers!

It’s just so weird here. Usually all rules are enforced with a vengeance in Switzerland but motorcycle parking seems to be a sort of “meh” :effort as long as it isn’t in the way of anything no one seems to care. There are special motorcycle and bicycle parking but people park so drat close that people are touching mirrors at best or bags are touching body panels at worst.

The good news I left the bike there for a few hours without a ticket. Now I get to wait a few days to see if I tripped any speeding cameras or if I’m in trouble for all the lane splitting I did. I assume lane splitting is okay because drivers gave me lots of room.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Lane splitting is not legal in CH, but it’s tolerated during stationary traffic. Otherwise, generally not ok. My riding in CH is limited but the traffic rules are pretty inflexible.

...now, ride 250 kilometers my way, and let’s go loving ham in a place where there are no rules and no speed limits.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 6, 2019

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Crayvex posted:

motorcycle parking seems to be a sort of “meh” :effort: as long as it isn’t in the way of anything no one seems to care.

How it should be imo.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

Lane splitting is not legal in CH, but it’s tolerated during stationary traffic. Otherwise, generally not ok. My riding in CH is limited but the traffic rules are pretty inflexible.

...now, ride 250 kilometers my way, and let’s go loving ham in a place where there are no rules and no speed limits.

Where are you located? The wife and kid are back in the USA for a few weeks so I have some freedom to ride when and where I want.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Crayvex posted:

Where are you located? The wife and kid are back in the USA for a few weeks so I have some freedom to ride when and where I want.

I live in Vicenza, Italy. Near Venice. It's actually like 400 kilometers from Thun, now that I checked. But sure, on the weekend, if you want to swing by you can bunk at our house and we'll do some serious riding for day or two. PM me.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Owning 10 motorcycles, I figured the 11th could be something fun and quirkly and I found an 07 Griso with 4400 miles on it for 3500$, couldn't pass it up and I love it.

edit: Yay got pictures to work.

infraboy fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 10, 2019

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Links don't work for me

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

infraboy posted:

Owning 10 motorcycles, I figured the 11th could be something fun and quirkly and I found an 07 Griso with 4400 miles on it for 3500$, couldn't pass it up and I love it.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/N...=w1410-h1057-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/i...=w1410-h1057-no

Google photos links won't work unless you open up permissions on them, just save the photos as a JPG to your computer or phone and upload them to Imgur or another hosting site, then post the Imgur/whatever links here

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Was at my Guzzi dealer this weekend and they offered me a test ride on their Griso...I turned it down as I'm really not ready for a bike that size yet!

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Was at my Guzzi dealer this weekend and they offered me a test ride on their Griso...I turned it down as I'm really not ready for a bike that size yet!

Also, don't buy Guzzi. It's a trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Fender posted:

Also, don't buy Guzzi. It's a trap.

That's too late!!!