Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Good Sphere posted:

Huh really? I recall seeing user names for each course, which I assumed were some of the best Super Mario Maker 1 course makers.
Lol, no way would nintendo use fan work this way in an official product. The names are all things like "local businessman" or obvious references to nintendo characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I hope you guys are ready for an extremely thrilling experience.

04P-LPT-VSG

Padomyme
Jan 9, 2005
Burn the women and rape the cows
Uploaded my latest creation. It’s an upside level with mild Kaizo like elements I guess. Nothing too bad mostly just jumping off guys in tight spaces saws and some spikes. The first POW throw can be a little tight also. Also my last level #493 on the list was not supposed to be a blitz level but I accidentally marked it as such, don’t know how much that matters.

Abandoned Muncher Mine
8XP-PPK-5XF

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My first level:

21H-S52-WPF

Called “Some Chill Slopes” because I set out to make a chill Mario level that would be relaxing to play.

At first I set out to make a course with no enemies and just tons of rewards but quickly realized there’s no joy without a little bit of challenge.

Since it’s my first I would love some feedback!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So it didn't occur to me until I was literally finishing uploading the course that clear pipes might not count, only regular pipes, for the Blitz. So, if clear pipes count here's my Blitz course, if they don't count, enjoy my stupid 20 seconds very hard course I made in about 40 minutes:

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

It's early January. You've been called to inspect a blocked pipe. Ice, you think, until you arrive in the pouring sleet to find something far worse. Something living.
In many interpretations, Hell is cold. You know this to be true.

The Plumber in Winter

Created and uploaded in 55 minutes for the Blitz. Try to find some joy. Toad cannot, as that is his lot in life.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

iddqd posted:

My first level:

21H-S52-WPF

Called Some Chill Slopes because I set out to make a chill Mario level that would be relaxing to play.

At first I set out to make a course with no enemies and just tons of rewards but quickly realized theres no joy without a little bit of challenge.

Since its my first I would love some feedback!

It's a very chill level but I have some feedback to make it even more chill:

1.) It's a bit of a mess visually, you might want to think about a more cohesive look, or at least nail down a bit more what you're going for.

2.) Spawn the powerups out of pipes instead of leaving them on the ground where they can float away or the player can miss them.

Edit: Still looking for opinions on my 15 minute slapdash Blitz level, Guard Doggos: DNL-LRH-YKF

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 6, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Takoluka posted:

I hope you guys are ready for an extremely thrilling experience.

04P-LPT-VSG

iddqd posted:

My first level:

21H-S52-WPF

Called “Some Chill Slopes” because I set out to make a chill Mario level that would be relaxing to play.

At first I set out to make a course with no enemies and just tons of rewards but quickly realized there’s no joy without a little bit of challenge.

Welcome! Don't forget to add your levels to the spreadsheet.

Padomyme
Jan 9, 2005
Burn the women and rape the cows
Went from my last post and immediately made a blitz level because I’m addicted to this game. Took just about 30 minutes and honestly I probably should have spent more time on it but oh well.

Icy Blitz
L3V-1LV-9DG

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Circle Nine posted:

Okay, the ducking ice level idea is done and not too difficult I don't think.

Mind Your Head

0gv-6fs-cdf

I'm thinking I might go in and add a second tiles worth of ground before the crouching jump with the jumping muchers just to give a little more heads up time if people have any trouble with it. Also may end up giving a second tile of room for people to have a bit more run up before the shell jumping section, though the speed you get off the treadmill seems to consistently be enough if you've bounced off of the wall springs.

I thought this one looked fun. (I initially thought you said "duckling", but "ducking" is also good. :)) Your code is wrong, but I found it by going to another one of your courses. The right code is DQT-CDB-WKF. (Always double-check your codes, folks!)

Anyway, I had a lot of fun with the first part of the level, but I can't get past the part where you bounce across Koopas as big Mario. If I stay crouched, I don't have enough momentum to get all the way across. I've tried gaining more speed in different ways, but it usually ends in me hitting my head on an icicle. That section feels much harder than the rest of the level, so it feels a little out of place. How do you get across it as big Mario? I can only get across as small Mario. My only other comment is that the falling icicle over the Koopa bridge at the beginning of the level is off the top of the screen, so I bet a lot of people will die there.

Still, I really liked the level!

General question: Is there any way to search levels by keyword? For example, if I want to try airship levels, is there a good way to find them? Searching by theme on the "detailed search" helps, but it is still too general. It would be nice to be able to search for the word "airship" or something.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Took some feedback, now my level has had 25 minutes put in so I think I'll stop. Bowser Junior has a bit of a more delineated fight as I gave him his own arena and it's very full of doggos that are definitely guarding him. In exchange I added a Mushroom Pipe in that room which tbh cheeses the fight a little but I want the map to be multiplayer friendly. I also added one more Mushroom Pipe in the overworld. Easier level means better for multiplayer, I think.

4QY-GT0-TTF - Guard Doggos (Final)

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 6, 2019

Maxxim
Mar 10, 2007

You're overcome by an indescribably odd sensation...!
The blitz was pretty interesting. I had a hard time thinking of something that wasn't just lots of floating platforms, so I'm pretty interested to see what everyone else came up with.

I normally design in multiple passes: first the general layout, then bonus areas/coins/decoration, then testing/tweaking positions. During my second pass I realized I didn't have any blocks to put things into, so enjoy your groups of coins I guess.

Ice Fishing [Blitz 1]
BPR-2X5-DJF

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

iddqd posted:

My first level:

21H-S52-WPF

Hmm, you have 95% of a very easy-going and fun level, but what's the deal with the slide ending in a pit just past the door? You spend the whole level showing people that it's fun to slide, and you give them a star to feel invulnerable, and then you just level us slide into a pit? Still, a (mostly) fun level.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Overbite posted:

Thanks for the feedback. out of all my levels this is the one that has the least amount of clears and I wanted to know why so I'm glad you took the time to review it. As for the creepers resetting I've never had that happen in all the testing I did. Though when I tested it I never hit any of the creepers, there's no need to so that's probably why I never saw it. Maybe it would be better without the creepers?
Not to pile on but yea it looks and plays real rough, some of that is 3d world just looking chunky and squarish by design but it really stands out when you're making narrow caves and 80% of the screen is dirt texture. Also the last jump in the vertial section is super awkward, using the bounce pad is too much of a liability because the ceiling is too low and mario bonks every time, I made it by just jumping straight onto the creeper and it was much easier.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

A couple more:

#366 Ice Cave in The Sky (RG4-DSX-2RF), by GI_Clutch
Fun level, but it seemed a bit short. I think it would be improved by being longer and (very slightly) more difficult. A question: there is a 50-coin behind an icicle. How am I supposed to get that?

#472 The Fab Four (JJY-K3K-X1G), by J-Spot
Another fun little level. If you get too far ahead of the beetles, they disappear, which is a little annoying. Also, getting put into a little box at the end of the level seems a bit janky. Otherwise, it was fun.

#205 The Cat Returns (Y7C-LSR-KHG), by Amppelix
Thematically, this level seemed all over the place. I would pick a smaller number of enemy types and a smaller number of types of challenges. This level seemed to want to try everything, and it comes off feeling unfocused. I stopped after a death to the homing missile in the scrolling section.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Padomyme posted:

Went from my last post and immediately made a blitz level because I’m addicted to this game. Took just about 30 minutes and honestly I probably should have spent more time on it but oh well.

Icy Blitz
L3V-1LV-9DG

Honestly, not bad. It's a decent platforming challenge and there's never anything wrong with that.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DorianGravy posted:

#205 The Cat Returns (Y7C-LSR-KHG), by Amppelix
Thematically, this level seemed all over the place. I would pick a smaller number of enemy types and a smaller number of types of challenges. This level seemed to want to try everything, and it comes off feeling unfocused. I stopped after a death to the homing missile in the scrolling section.
This would be because i was, in fact, trying everything. Got it right on the money there. I haven't felt like deleting the level but I'm not too proud of it either.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Good Sphere posted:

Anyone know if any course designers of the actual Mario games made courses for SMM2 online or included in the game? It would be really cool to see SMB1 style courses by the actual creators of courses from that game.
Looking at the credits, the four people specifically listed as "Course Level Design" all have previous credits on Mobygames as game testers. That being said, the "Game Design" section is stacked with Mario veterans, like Super Mario World sprite artist Shigefumi Hino and veteran Mario series level designer/pidgeon namesake Yasuhisa Yamamura, so they likely guided the new blood's hands a lot. Takashi Tezuka, who's been heavily involved since the NES days (and I think drew most of the sprites in Mario 3!) was producer and according to a Game Informer interview he ultimately chose which courses were included in the game, although he apparently didn't make any of them himself.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Blitz course made in 56 minutes.

Jump Jump, Slide Slide
8LD-YLW-HQG

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Guess I didn't finish this in time for this week's contest, but that's fine, as it was obnoxiously complicated before I went back and made it a lot less switchy. It was going to be a level you could run forward or backward with different challenges depending upon the way you went, but it ended up with a lot of unavoidable entering a room to find the block switches in the wrong position, and then having to go back to the previous room where enemies had respawned. So that gimmick's gone and it's a (comparatively) humble hammer bro-infested ghost house with a treasure hunt gimmick.

Did you know Toadette has a secret dragon punch move? This screenshot is proof.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I've been waiting for this to come out for a while, as I did not have a WiiU to play it on.

Maker Profile: "HJofVecna" HMG-Y1G-VHG
1st Level: "Kuaizo Castle" 6TN-P7H-C0G
2nd Level: "Red Coins in the Desert" 639-KW0-3SG

So far I've made two levels. Hopefully I learned things from making them that will make the next ones better!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

oooooo the blitz I am gonna do this when u get home. Mario maker rules

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
A handful of Mario

AbeO1: Seemed like an okay traditional course but pretty short. There wasn't much meat to it, but I enjoyed what was there.

I Want to Be an Air Pirate: Solid airship level though the mushrooms felt a bit too generous.

Uncle Autoscroll's Spookhouse: Interesting concept but expecting the player to hunt down red coins in the dark during an autoscroller is a bit crazy. I could make it through the scroller but kept dying looking for coins which got annoying fast.

Mario Mining Company Interview: I loved this level! Up until I played it I didn't even now builder Mario could make his own boxes. Great showcase of a mechanic I had literally never seen utilized in a level! Also it looked really nice too, which is rare for a 3D world level.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

https://twitter.com/CyclonX_/status/1145178278136700928?s=19

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Will there be a patch to go with the server maintenance?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Played some goon levels this morning because I couldn't sleep.

Deadly Horrors - Gluteus Maximus
I liked it for the most part, the description about being frustrating had me pretty worried but it ended up being a kinda straight forward level just set in a ghost house. I kinda feel like I missed something because of how straight forward it all was.
Enemy spam near the end felt really unneeded unless you just wanted to bounce on everything with the Dry Shell but it didn't really effect anything. It was a fine stage really.

Life Simulator - Hyphz
Where's the joke

1-1 + 1-2 but Meowser's here - Icedude
This is such a goofy idea that I really wound up enjoying it. Meowser plays nice as a background element as he can't fit anywhere so it's just a extra spicy thing to dodge. Shame the fucker is so huge he blocks 40% of the screen when he's in the foreground hah.

Uncle Autoscroll's Spookhouse - Hyper Crab Tank
Didn't finish it. Did about 3 laps and got too bored going around the house. Got 3 of the coins and saw the door but if you lose the fire flower it's just frustrating. Congrats on the first goon course that beat me though if you wanted that trophy!!!

Make Way! - NofrikinfuN
A alright tutorial level for the Builder Power up. The second part was mildly frustrating getting the crates to land instead of go through the pipes but that was probably intended? Either way simple fun. Kinda wondering just how many of these hammer tutorials there are though. I've bumped into like 5 so far, including my own. Sheesh.

Mario in the Whale - PantsBandit
Silly stage idea but the first part of the level is super unforgiving and I can't say I enjoyed having to do the leadup over and over again. The jump from the claw was rough and I wasn't aware the "water" was going to stop so I kept getting this feeling that I had to rush rush rush. When I noticed that it wasn't going too much higher things became more relaxed though. Second part of it through the rest were mostly fine, just busywork to get around the "worms"
It sounds like I'm complaining a lot about it but I really did wind up enjoying it. I'm thankful it wasn't super long too.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Make Way! - NofrikinfuN
A alright tutorial level for the Builder Power up. The second part was mildly frustrating getting the crates to land instead of go through the pipes but that was probably intended? Either way simple fun. Kinda wondering just how many of these hammer tutorials there are though. I've bumped into like 5 so far, including my own. Sheesh.

Yeah, I got a couple doing endless Mario after submitting. :(

As for lining up the crates, throw them at the wall and they will drop into place. I tried to make sure there was a backboard or guide to show how many crates to use in the trickier parts.

If you're at all interested, I made a second one that doesn't go into tutorializing and instead does some light puzzling and a couple simple "boss" fights.

Make Way 2!
NLW-GG3-W1H

I hope this one feels a little fresher.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

More blitz levels and that means more puns!

Padomyme posted:

Icy Blitz
L3V-1LV-9DG

Having two paths was an ice idea, especially with a fast and slow route. I wound up abandoning both, though, and just jumping for it.

The Lobster posted:

Took some feedback, now my level has had 25 minutes put in so I think I'll stop. Bowser Junior has a bit of a more delineated fight as I gave him his own arena and it's very full of doggos that are definitely guarding him. In exchange I added a Mushroom Pipe in that room which tbh cheeses the fight a little but I want the map to be multiplayer friendly. I also added one more Mushroom Pipe in the overworld. Easier level means better for multiplayer, I think.

4QY-GT0-TTF - Guard Doggos (Final)

I didn't snow that there were multiple mushroom pipes initially because I dashed through the level so hard trying to keep ahead of the chomp movement.

Maxxim posted:

The blitz was pretty interesting. I had a hard time thinking of something that wasn't just lots of floating platforms, so I'm pretty interested to see what everyone else came up with.

I normally design in multiple passes: first the general layout, then bonus areas/coins/decoration, then testing/tweaking positions. During my second pass I realized I didn't have any blocks to put things into, so enjoy your groups of coins I guess.

Ice Fishing [Blitz 1]
BPR-2X5-DJF

The way you guided players through the level was ice slick, but the time constraints for the blitz challenge meant that there wasn't much here.

Evil Eagle posted:

Blitz course made in 56 minutes.

Jump Jump, Slide Slide
8LD-YLW-HQG

This is an ice... wait, I used that one. Uhhhhh.

This course wasn't freeze-y, but it had a good flow to it. Nice use of the mushrooms to make decorations, too.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I hope I'm not too late, I got stoned and lost track of how long I had fiddled with it and then just smashed upload

XNS RK6 X9G - Monty In Among The Chain Chimps.

Just tried to make something involving a lot of fun slippery jumps. I hope theres nothing too outrageous in there.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blitz question: for allowed enemies can we apply modifiers like parachutes and wings?

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

The Kins posted:

Looking at the credits, the four people specifically listed as "Course Level Design" all have previous credits on Mobygames as game testers. That being said, the "Game Design" section is stacked with Mario veterans, like Super Mario World sprite artist Shigefumi Hino and veteran Mario series level designer/pidgeon namesake Yasuhisa Yamamura, so they likely guided the new blood's hands a lot. Takashi Tezuka, who's been heavily involved since the NES days (and I think drew most of the sprites in Mario 3!) was producer and according to a Game Informer interview he ultimately chose which courses were included in the game, although he apparently didn't make any of them himself.

Interesting information! Thank you

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I finally finished the level I've been working on the past couple of days and I'm really happy with how it's turned out - it's all about clear pipes!

The code is 27J-9NR-MQF:

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

DorianGravy posted:

I thought this one looked fun. (I initially thought you said "duckling", but "ducking" is also good. :)) Your code is wrong, but I found it by going to another one of your courses. The right code is DQT-CDB-WKF. (Always double-check your codes, folks!)

Anyway, I had a lot of fun with the first part of the level, but I can't get past the part where you bounce across Koopas as big Mario. If I stay crouched, I don't have enough momentum to get all the way across. I've tried gaining more speed in different ways, but it usually ends in me hitting my head on an icicle. That section feels much harder than the rest of the level, so it feels a little out of place. How do you get across it as big Mario? I can only get across as small Mario. My only other comment is that the falling icicle over the Koopa bridge at the beginning of the level is off the top of the screen, so I bet a lot of people will die there.

Still, I really liked the level!

Thanks, and yeah that code is wrong because I deleted to original upload to make it a little easier and make the koopa jump section I thought 100% consistent but I guess not quite. Since I'm more or less entirely taking away player control there I didn't want there to be any chance of failure at all. My only thought is that you might not be using the springs on the wall before the treadmill to gain the initial boost of extra speed?

If you'd be willing, I'd like to see a video of you dying at that koopa section so I can try to tweak it to make it more consistent or more clear that you do need to use the wall springs beforehand.

e: it's also possible you're just holding down on the D-Pad rather than down and forward to keep your momentum going as you bounce off of them?

https://twitter.com/circnine/status/1147492883655565314

Circle Nine fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 6, 2019

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva
XJ2-C80-7JG
Pinball Painfall
An annoying puzzle platformer

XJX-NV4-QBG
Paris-Dakario Rally
Car Racin'

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Two more spooky levels for everyone.

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1147491946509639682
https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1147492478708142083

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I didn't play much MM1 and am pretty much scrub-tier when it comes to figuring out how to design a decent level. Here's one that I've been workshopping after watching that Ceave design video in the OP. It's definitely not what I'd called finished, as there are some parts of it that I want to flesh out a bit more. Overall though I wanted it to be more like a "classic" level and not full of dumbass gotchas or overly obtuse puzzles.

Would love some feedback on what works, what's poo poo, and areas to think about!

Take Down the Rocket
XV1-NQ6-5FG

Drone fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 6, 2019

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

PSA: Cat-Toad is the cutest thing ever :3:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Made a level just specifically for the Endless pool and not for the goon spreadsheet. It's a meme level that gives a ton of 1-Ups.

Baba Is 1-Up: L7Q-DFV-X2G.

If I could get that initial like or two that puts it into Endless, that would be great!

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Finished up my second level, Calamari Clouds, Beetle Skies! This is a sky level themed around Bloopers and Beetles, with branching ending paths that allow you to pick your poison.

Would love some feedback on the difficulty, hoping I didn’t make certain parts too unforgiving.

Also, bumping my first level, Hanging Gardens, in case anyone has interest in a desert themed level where Mario must survive a plague of locusts, hounds and killer plants and discover hidden areas while he’s at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Drone posted:

So I didn't play much MM1 and am pretty much scrub-tier when it comes to figuring out how to design a decent level. Here's one that I've been workshopping after watching that Ceave design video in the OP. It's definitely not what I'd called finished, as there are some parts of it that I want to flesh out a bit more. Overall though I wanted it to be more like a "classic" level and not full of dumbass gotchas or overly obtuse puzzles.

Would love some feedback on what works, what's poo poo, and areas to think about!

Take Down the Rocket
XV1-NQ6-5FG

It's a good layout, but there's a few problems with how it flows due to the nature of using an autoscroller with cycling things. At the start, for example, you have the path appear to split in two but only one of them has the platforms cycle in time for the player to ride them. Later on, the blue platforms have wings which make them drift up and down. They only align to make the jump possible once, since it requires the player turning around on the falling platform, once in the time available to the player and it's very early on. The star rush is a good idea, but you don't need thirty enemies there. Anything more than the basic eight is excessive for that since other 1-ups wind up getting thrown away.

But a really good effort that just ran into the difficulty of combining autoscrolling with cycling systems.