Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Climb Vines, Duck Bills
GCY-B1K-QQF

Traditional level focused on vines and Bullet Bills. No Kaizo.

First level in SMM2 but pretty much the first in a series of loose remakes I wanna make of ones I made in SMM1. Generally trying to make them even easier and more on brand and canonical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

VR Native American posted:

XJX-NV4-QBG
Paris-Dakario Rally
Car Racin'

This stage is now officially the best Paris-Dakar Rally video game ever made. (Yes, I have played the Xbox one.)

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

My first blitz completed! Time: 47 minutes 30 seconds

For some goddamn reason the pipes in the jungle are freezing and liable to burst. Someone needs to take a look.

G96-1DX-VGF

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Circle Nine posted:

Thanks, and yeah that code is wrong because I deleted to original upload to make it a little easier and make the koopa jump section I thought 100% consistent but I guess not quite. Since I'm more or less entirely taking away player control there I didn't want there to be any chance of failure at all. My only thought is that you might not be using the springs on the wall before the treadmill to gain the initial boost of extra speed?

If you'd be willing, I'd like to see a video of you dying at that koopa section so I can try to tweak it to make it more consistent or more clear that you do need to use the wall springs beforehand.

e: it's also possible you're just holding down on the D-Pad rather than down and forward to keep your momentum going as you bounce off of them?

https://twitter.com/circnine/status/1147492883655565314

I used the springs, but yeah, I just just holding down when ducking. I didn't realize that you would go faster with down-forward. (What sense does that make?) Has that been a part of Mario games for a while, or is it relatively new? Still a fun level. I guess you should keep an eye on your clear rate, though; if it's near zero, I bet that other people aren't using that technique either.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

J-Spot posted:

Finally done with my jam submission. This one took awhile to complete so I'd really appreciate if people would try it out and give feedback on it!

The Switching Hour
Course ID: L17-0V6-PYF
Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: No

Bump for the morning crew.

Szmitten posted:

Climb Vines, Duck Bills
GCY-B1K-QQF

Traditional level focused on vines and Bullet Bills. No Kaizo.

First level in SMM2 but pretty much the first in a series of loose remakes I wanna make of ones I made in SMM1. Generally trying to make them even easier and more on brand and canonical.

Got the first clear. Felt straight out of Mario World. Nice job!

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 6, 2019

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Is there a way to know what difficulty level your levels are?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Spanish Matlock posted:

Is there a way to know what difficulty level your levels are?
The only way I know of to actually see a level's difficulty is to download it and view it in course bot. You'd have to have someone download your level and check.

You can usually assume anything under 40% is normal, under 10% is in expert, and under 2% is in super expert but that's not a hard rule as one player could tank your clear rate but if other players have an easier time it will take that into account.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 6, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Surprise, it's a bad level. Found the feather then boo'd the gently caress outta this thing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I uploaded Mario Ragnarok right before going to bed last night but then ended up going out this morning before being able to get a screenshot or the code. It's an adaptation of Thor Ragnarok

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Mega64 posted:

Surprise, it's a bad level. Found the feather then boo'd the gently caress outta this thing.

Gross. I rarely boo levels but that's unnecessary. My worst fear* is that someone will hate my levels but I guess as long as I'm not actively trolling I'm probably good.

*in Mario Maker, anyway

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 6, 2019

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Mega64 posted:

The amount of chaff in the “New Courses” section compared to in Endless proves that 2’s course selection is doing its job. Unless it is clearly made by a four year old, I will “Boo” with impunity. Bad makers must be punished for their misdeeds and laziness.

I really enjoy playing all the stuff in that section and getting first-clears. At least that’s what I keep telling myself to power through into getting the clothes tied to first-clears.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

That one's more the exception in my experience. Most of the levels I play in new courses are mediocre-to-good. I'll Like courses I otherwise wouldn't just to get them exposure if they're halfway good.

It kinda sucks that a lot of good courses will end up with no exposure, but otherwise Nintendo's current system to get courses into Endless seems like it works well enough.

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!
I put my level on the spreadsheet, I’ve asked twitter, and I could really use a playthrough. Comment freely.

Big Bowser Jr. got his hands on some deceptively bigger-on-the-inside airships and needs to be destroyed. The three red coins aren’t necessary, but get them if you want. Or don’t. Big Bowser Jr. doesn’t care.

Big Bowser Jr’s Airship Assault
3XV-KNV-1YG

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Yeah, Endless seems to be a lot better this time around with the new system. At least I haven't run into as much garbage, and I know people 1) haven't gotten any better at making Mario and 2) aren't looking at the tutorials.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

J-Spot posted:

Bump for the morning crew.

Got the first clear. Felt straight out of Mario World. Nice job!

Thanks! Yours is very forgiving and thoughtful and was nice and pleasant and let me do the things I know I can do :3:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Lobster posted:

Gross. I rarely boo levels but that's unnecessary. My worst fear* is that someone will hate my levels but I guess as long as I'm not actively trolling I'm probably good.

*in Mario Maker, anyway

I try to be super generous with my likes, but if I see something super low effort or aggressively hateful to players then I smash that boo as hard as I can. I'm 99% sure it's not hooked up to anything, but it makes me feel better.

The Lobster posted:

Yeah, Endless seems to be a lot better this time around with the new system. At least I haven't run into as much garbage, and I know people 1) haven't gotten any better at making Mario and 2) aren't looking at the tutorials.

I don't know. Getting to 100 easy levels was a slog through some real drek. OTOH, there were only two or three auto-levels in the whole process so that's something.

I checked my stats and I am currently sitting at 399 courses played. Got to pick something special for the big 400.

Edit: Shout out to "BigRed2025" who just left a comment on my blitz course that reads "poop!!!! car". Indeed, good sir. poop!!!! car, indeed.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 6, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

My journey in endless normal has been surprisingly pleasant. I've given out more likes than boos. Much better than the level selection I got trying to unlock the costumes in normal 100 Mario back in the day.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Random Stranger posted:

Edit: Shout out to "BigRed2025" who just left a comment on my blitz course that reads "poop!!!! car". Indeed, good sir. poop!!!! car, indeed.

My most entertaining comments so far were, "hOt GaRbAgE!!!" on one of my levels and a drawing of a middle finger on another. Thanks guys! Both have been deleted by Nintendo.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
I've made two levels so far. My first level attempt and one for blitz 1. I really don't know what in doing so sorry if they suck! (The blitz level seems pretty bad). Any feedback very welcome!

Let's go skiing!
A semi themed course about doing slope jumps. I accidentally tagged it as blitz 0 on the spreadsheet but it isn't a blitz or jam level.
PP6-R2P-J3G

Icy Ride
Blitz 1 level that probably took over 2 hours to make (forgot to time) and the ideas really didn't come together. Lots of fast snake blocks that don't make it clear where they are going.
J2S-JQM-C1G

Some goon levels that I have played so far:

Rooftop Party by adinosaur
DNJ-HXV-94G
I love this level! The first time I got through it without bringing the switch I laughed way too hard. Great themeing and a challenging but fair level.

Specter Switch Soiree by AlBorlandCorp
9PW-212-1JF
This took me forever to clear but it's a good level. Lots of interesting/unique puzzles!

I'll try to be better about writing down my thoughts as I play the levels, because I've played a bunch of other goon levels but can't remember them well enough to comment on. The quality overall is really really good though!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It sure is!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Could we add a difficulty field to the level input spreadsheet? I feel like it would be nice to separate stages of different difficulty. It's going to be a bit vague regardless (since authors are not necessarily going to be great at telling how hard their stage is) but I think it'd still be useful. I labeled my recent level as Kaizo even though it isn't really Kaizo at all (not super compressed, no extremely precise maneuvering required, no troll hidden blocks) because I think people looking for standard levels would be irritated by the difficulty.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

J-Spot posted:

My journey in endless normal has been surprisingly pleasant. I've given out more likes than boos. Much better than the level selection I got trying to unlock the costumes in normal 100 Mario back in the day.

You did have to play 1600 levels (okay, some of them could be obtained on easy) to get those. That's a grind and a half

Most of the stuff I've encountered in easy has been kind of low effort, "eh" things. I'll take that over mountains of poo poo that I often had to wade through in MM1, but it dips into "Why would you think anyone would want to play this?" pretty regularly.

The Lobster posted:

My most entertaining comments so far were, "hOt GaRbAgE!!!" on one of my levels and a drawing of a middle finger on another. Thanks guys! Both have been deleted by Nintendo.

I hope BigRed2025 follows me as a creator and comments on all of my levels. I need to have his thoughts on them.

Also, I kind of wish more people would use the comment system. I tried doing stuff with it, but the Mario paint tools are too limited to even leave a garbage picture easily and I don't want to write up a quarter-tweet length comment and then come back to the thread to post basically the same thing. Maybe it needs more stickers.

Artic Puma posted:

Icy Ride
Blitz 1 level that probably took over 2 hours to make (forgot to time) and the ideas really didn't come together. Lots of fast snake blocks that don't make it clear where they are going.
J2S-JQM-C1G

Short and sweet for this one.

Something to be aware of is snake blocks don't respawn unless you move far enough to unload that section of the level and come back. I-cycled the snake blocks fast and fell off and in another stage that could have locked me out. It's a property of them that's not good and can be unexpected as you learn them.

I hope nobody makes any more blitz levels. The freeze puns are getting to be really difficult.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Made my second level, now with a really tight theme and I think a more appropriate enemy density and also variety of challenges. Let me know what you think guys.

B15-NHP-2KG

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Mega64 posted:

It sure is!

There has to be a way to complete it, of course. Probably a hidden door. That was generally the trick in MM1, wasn't it?

nrook posted:

Could we add a difficulty field to the level input spreadsheet? I feel like it would be nice to separate stages of different difficulty. It's going to be a bit vague regardless (since authors are not necessarily going to be great at telling how hard their stage is) but I think it'd still be useful. I labeled my recent level as Kaizo even though it isn't really Kaizo at all (not super compressed, no extremely precise maneuvering required, no troll hidden blocks) because I think people looking for standard levels would be irritated by the difficulty.

Maybe a better system would be a way on RAoM for people to rate the difficulty there?

Random Stranger posted:

I hope BigRed2025 follows me as a creator and comments on all of my levels. I need to have his thoughts on them.

Also, I kind of wish more people would use the comment system. I tried doing stuff with it, but the Mario paint tools are too limited to even leave a garbage picture easily and I don't want to write up a quarter-tweet length comment and then come back to the thread to post basically the same thing. Maybe it needs more stickers.

I hope nobody makes any more blitz levels. The freeze puns are getting to be really difficult.

I love getting comments, but yeah I don't leave them a whole lot because I can just post itt or Discord. Unless I have something really unique to say. But I've still left more comments already than I did in MM1's lifespan.

And I was actually thinking of making a second Blitz level because I'm back on the road today but idk if it's allowed to enter the same Blitz twice.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 6, 2019

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I made a new level that I feel is a good example of coming up with ideas I think are cool and then being unable to recreate them as I wanted in game. I wanted something like the beginning of Indiana Jones where you go in the temple and can avoid the traps until you grab the idol and then everything goes wrong and you have to escape while the temple falls apart. I couldn't figure out how to make it fall apart because the bob ombs would not cooperate with the switches so I had to change it. I still think it turned out OK but it is not quite what I had imagined.

Legend of the Big Coin
6W9-542-79G

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I made a terrible level! Also my first level!

Spooky Scary Skeletons
Course ID: 4VM-03R-MYG
Difficulty: Hard
Multiplayer Friendly?: No

It's a VERY short but fairly difficult level. I'm not a very good player though so it's hard for me to judge. But it took me like 10 minutes to beat it.

I guess I should add more to get some interest. It's a simple skill-based challenge level that's incredibly short. My clear time was 19 seconds. Anyone who is good at jumping off of enemy heads should be fine at it.

I kind of only came up with it after reading the first post and the talk about themed challenges and the escalation and that's my newbie attempt at trying to use those principles. I only ever made one other course for SMM1 and it was similar but a lot weaker, probably.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 6, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Overbite posted:

I made a new level that I feel is a good example of coming up with ideas I think are cool and then being unable to recreate them as I wanted in game. I wanted something like the beginning of Indiana Jones where you go in the temple and can avoid the traps until you grab the idol and then everything goes wrong and you have to escape while the temple falls apart. I couldn't figure out how to make it fall apart because the bob ombs would not cooperate with the switches so I had to change it. I still think it turned out OK but it is not quite what I had imagined.

Legend of the Big Coin
6W9-542-79G

You may not have been able to do what you wanted but I think this turnout out great.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

My Bros of the Wild stage has 0.00% clear rate still and I think I know why. I saw a streamer play it that is quite good, and they didn’t know how to use the charge shot with the Fire Kupa Clown Car to get past a wall. P

I haven’t seen it used much as a mechanic, but I swear it was used on one of the early courses.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Lobster posted:

There has to be a way to complete it, of course. Probably a hidden door. That was generally the trick in MM1, wasn't it?

One of the bouncers has a P Switch. It took a few hits but I eventually triggered it and hit the exit fine.

Still a dumb level.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Good Sphere posted:

My Bros of the Wild stage has 0.00% clear rate still and I think I know why. I saw a streamer play it that is quite good, and they didn’t know how to use the charge shot with the Fire Kupa Clown Car to get past a wall. P

I haven’t seen it used much as a mechanic, but I swear it was used on one of the early courses.

It definitely was required in a story mode level

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Good Sphere posted:

It was, but I think you're severely overestimating the amount of people who are going to play through story mode before jumping into playing player-made courses, unfortunately!

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Mega64 posted:

Jesus, Course World is gonna be hot garbage around January after all the kiddies get the game for Christmas.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Mega64 posted:

One of the bouncers has a P Switch. It took a few hits but I eventually triggered it and hit the exit fine.

Still a dumb level.

See, the only thing I hide in my level is 1-Ups. If you find it, you've discovered a secret. If you don't, it's fine. But it's not cool to hide required mechanics.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Mega64 posted:

Still a dumb level.

Lol, that creator has eight courses and zero likes among them. His maker points must be in the negatives.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

someone awful. posted:

It was, but I think you're severely overestimating the amount of people who are going to play through story mode before jumping into playing player-made courses, unfortunately!

True, I think I’m at 30% through Story Mode. The levels are pretty good though, and inspiring.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Overbite posted:

Legend of the Big Coin
6W9-542-79G

I wish I could hit the like button twice for this one. Levels built around a narrative framework, even a very basic one, are cool and this does it very well.

FWIW, people have done "collapsing temple" stuff in MM1. Usually it relied on tracks dropping blocks from above and manipulating the timing. In this case, you'd have to structure the level around giving the level breaking down as soon as the on/off was hit and using the switching tracks to start dropping stuff from above. Don't worry too much about having to compromise on that, the way you did it was very good.

Good Sphere posted:

Even though that was in MM1, a lot of people aren't familiar with the clown car mechanics. Unfortunately, there isn't a great way to teach them in stage.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Good Sphere posted:

Just go stick a comment at that section that says "hold down fire to charge" or something.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Random Stranger posted:

FWIW, people have done "collapsing temple" stuff in MM1. Usually it relied on tracks dropping blocks from above and manipulating the timing. In this case, you'd have to structure the level around giving the level breaking down as soon as the on/off was hit and using the switching tracks to start dropping stuff from above. Don't worry too much about having to compromise on that, the way you did it was very good.

You can attach things to falling icicles now, so they fall with it, like tall Bullet Bill cannons and what not.

Random Stranger posted:

Even though that was in MM1, a lot of people aren't familiar with the clown car mechanics. Unfortunately, there isn't a great way to teach them in stage.

Yeah that sorta sucks! I wouldn’t mind a little message displaying like “hold fire to charge” or something. I want to write something like that with blocks and re-upload, but I don’t have enough room. :(

J-Spot posted:

Just go stick a comment at that section that says "hold down fire to charge" or something.

Thank you, that’s a good idea.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Castor Poe posted:

Jesus, Course World is gonna be hot garbage around January after all the kiddies get the game for Christmas.

They will be playing Pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Can you subscribe to particular makers?