Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

Quavers posted:

Citizens truly are broken

Was Picasso broken? Was Dali broken? Was Ted Bundy broken?

tax time: Even he feels the shame of my posting

EmesiS fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

skeletors_condom posted:

The internet was born in 1969

nice

EmesiS posted:

Was Picasso broken? Was Dali broken? Was Ted Bundy broken?

Yes to all three. Ask harder questions. Dalí wasn’t a rapist or a murderer, and Picasso may or may not have been a rapist (“women are machines for suffering” doesn’t look good :ohdear:, but his metoos are long ago) but definitely not a murderer, and of course we all know about Ted.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Please tell me this is a render by some bored citizen... lol they're not. Haha

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

skeletors_condom posted:

I personally believe there will be some sort of massive realignment of global society in the next 15-30 years. Something similar to the period 1910-1950 (conceptually if not practically). The internet was born in 1969; the information is arguably ~50 years old. I think it's reasonable to expect some sort massive period of change and instability soon. Every major historical transition (feudalism to enlightenment, enlightenment to industrialization) involved pretty radical changes (with changes in the last 250 years being particularly rapid), I don't see why things would be different with the information age. I could be wrong though, so who knows? :confused:

I don't think you're wrong. Consider the economic shift moving the center of power from the US to China, a totalitarian state (We should all stop trading with that country, but we won't). Now consider the potential effects runaway climate change could have on China's wealth. How many of China's major cities are costal? Beijing is already blanketed in smog most of the year. And what happens when its breadbasket turns into a dustbowl due to poor agricultural management brought on by incompetent communist management? Sex disparity is also a problem in China thanks to outdated gender roles causing girls to be killed off. Historically, massive sex imbalance on either side has caused unrest - see woman's marches after bloody wars wipe out male populations. Then you've got the minorities which China is increasingly attempting to exterminate who will absolutely fight back if their backs are truly pushed up against a wall. China has survived thus far due to the economic success it has been able to deliver - often in spite of itself and at the expense of everyone else. What totalitarian state has managed to survive given a widely educated populace and a loss of faith in the government's ability to bring prosperity?

Then you look at how Russia's getting handsy with its neighbors and the issues of wealth disparity and coming population drop that the First World has...it's not a good look. Might not be time to stock up on bullets, cigarettes, and canned food just yet but I'd certainly make sure my investment portfolio was well-diversified.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

EmesiS posted:

Was Picasso broken?

Fun fact when Picasso saw military camouflage for the first time he thought it was the tightest poo poo, artistically speaking. Makes sense, since the whole point of cubism was to give the sense of something that was there without being a literal depiction of the thing. Early naval camouflage was done by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Wilkinson_(artist) this dude.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Pilz posted:

Fun fact when Picasso saw military camouflage for the first time he thought it was the tightest poo poo, artistically speaking. Makes sense, since the whole point of cubism was to give the sense of something that was there without being a literal depiction of the thing. Early naval camouflage was done by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Wilkinson_(artist) this dude.

This reminds me of the livestream where sandi reverse knee mech walked onto the stage in high heels in dazzle camouflage :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dooguk posted:

What is the opposite of Midas touch?

The Firestone guarantee

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I said come in! posted:

Sean Murray is a dipshit loser that stole this. The original is here:
https://twitter.com/PAYOLETTER/status/1145042462848749568

loving laffo original content on twitter doesnt exist

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lol how much would those even cost to make, all things considered?

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lol how much would those even cost to make, all things considered?

46 million Calder bucks :smuggo:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Remember, every crowdfunded dollar counts four times as much as a regular development dollar, because there are no marketing costs

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lol copyrighted material.

That’s a good one.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

"We paid to WORK, people! Stop having fun!"

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Ashye posted:

46 million Calder bucks :smuggo:

Jade Starwatcher posted:

So i had never heard of you or the forum you post on until someone sent me a link where you were talking about me. Then i saw you have become fascinated by the rise of Rexzilla "seemingly out of nowhere." and the Alex Jones-esque conspiracy theories of him being a paid marketer by CIG's due to an investment in marketing Squadron 42.....

It's almost funny how wrong you have it.

Here are the main reasons:

First of all Rexzilla isn't new to Star Citizen, he backed the game around the same time i did back in 2016 and was a member of an org called Aces High (ACESHI). I know this because my previous org (which i co-founded) used to fight them at Security Post Kareah. So he isn't new, he played the game in 2016 and 2017 but didnt stream it and took a break from it because peformance was poor and all we had were a few on foot PvP areas. He's not a pilot, the FPS aspect of the game appealed to him.

He like me never played any of Chris Roberts old games. i was born in 1995. You should not hold this against me or anyone else who didn't know who Chris Roberts was until they discovered Star Citizen. There are a lot of us and we are a fast growing part of the Star Citizen community.

There is growing new guard due to a perfect storm. The game being playable due to client-side OCS and new game features and environments has brought in a lot of new people. In my case i only became a backer after a woman told me in a Second Life group voice chat that procedural planets were going to be a thing (she sent me a link to the Homestead Demo) and that playable female characters were coming soon with both likely to make an appearance in 3.0 (i know right!?). Knowing nothing of the delays SC has had i enthusiastically pledged in Dec 2016 for an Aurora starter package. Today we have OCS, FPS AI (derpy as it is, its something), 2 landable planets, 9 landable moons and landable planetoid with ourposts, stations even cities with trains and stuff. And i finally get to play with a character which represents me making it all finally immesive. This probably doesn't surprise you but friends i have who are also female and game have held off until they could play with a female character.

Some older streamers and backers see any change as scary and this influx of newer, often younger backers is disruptive to what the Star Citizen community has traditionally been since the Kickstarter.

The reason Rexzilla gets the huge audience he does are because he offers something none of the old guard offered:

a) A positive attitude taking advantage of the sandbox, sci-fi space sim we have today rather than theorycrafting and wishing for what we might have in the future.

So many of the Star Citizen streamers fall into a "negative nancy" mode. i totally get why they're like this, because for most of their streaming life there was no playable game. Old habits die hard and now that there is one its hard for them to break out of this. Instead of taking Chris Roberts seriously when he has repeatedly stated Star Citizen would be a sort of Space Second Life, they spend time talking about delays on gameplay mechanics even though we have cargo and mining.

b) Accessibility. Most of the older Star Citizen streamers have had an air about them of "I'm the streamer, you watch me but that's it." In other words, they kept a wall between themselves and people who might want to join in with what they're doing. Rexzilla has taken the opposite approach, he welcomes everyone to play with him and have epic experiences as a group. i am part of ZDF as well as my own org and i can tell you, we're not actors. We do some light roleplay but we're all there to have a good time. Part of that is following instructions but you have that in any org. My org did the same type of ops on a regular basis, we didn't stream them but they do require willing participants, clear comms and clear leadership. Its the same in the ZDF. Whether we are part of the ground forces or support and combat pilots (those ships you see on his streams are often there to protect the op against stream snipers, i know because i took one down in my Glaive).

c) Personality. Sorry but many of the older guard remind me of my dad trying to play games in the way they interact with the audience. Its boring, even when they are doing something midly interesting because they just don't have the energy or hype level Rex does.

Fear of the new leads to salt. You've seen it and commented on it with reactions to Rex's rise. i've seen it personally on a much smaller level as some people who are fans of TheBase radio station have attacked The Peoples Radio (TPR), the immersive, Star Citizen station i started. Older backers have thrown shade at us even though we're doing something quite different than TheBase in terms of content and our target demographics (newer and younger backers and a more diverse audience in general). This some of this low level salt among older fans of TheBase goes on even though Juntau from TheBase and i get along great and respect each other. In fact he recently had some very nice things to say about us and our quick rise on The Captain's Table. CIG loves our weekly news program (we've been the Staff Pick in the Community Hub on CIG's site and they and even made me an MVP for it one week. Again, it's because we use the game to make immersive content now. Everything is content to us, een bugs. It's that kind of positive attitude the community has responded to both with us and Rexzilla (who gives us shoutouts from time to time).

ZDF as an org is bigger than Rexzilla. It's not just an org, its a movement. The ZDF does a lot of stuff on and off stream not involving Rexzilla. This ranges from Star Marine tournaments to participating in the 50 person pub craw i organized in Star Citizen. Most large orgs with charasmatic leaders would not have responded the way ZDF did when i put the idea out there seeking both security and participants. (i know this having interacted with them in the past). Rexzilla was reachable and their support of the event helped ensure it was success but they were one of like 5 smaller orgs who all contributed to that. We managed to fill a server with people all involved in the event on a day servers were going down left and right due to 30K errors related to an FPS AI mission. Wakapedia from CIG even came in at the end of the pub crawl and let us all in the Million Mile High Club in Area 18 making for more great content both on the stream and for TPR News.

So i guess what i'm saying is this is all organic growth of the game and a demographic change. i had a good conversation the other day on Discord with another content creator when this very subject came up. i asked her what she thought would happen as people who like and play Fortnite now start coming over to playing Star Citizen and she nearly spit her coffee out both because she knows its inevitable and the reaction will be a culture shock not unlike what you're seeing happening now with the emergence of Rex and the ZDF.

A game like this can not be successful based on old money and old salt alone. Too many older backers and streamers are jaded and what Rex has proven is that almost no one wants to watch endless negativity of what is missing from the game when the alternative is watching and/or participating in some epic, community created sandbox gameplay with the amazing locales, weapons and ships CIG has created.

PS: Yes i did buy $10K worth of ships during the height of the cryptocurrency boom the same amount of crypto i used back then is worth about $1500 today. The same foresight that helped me see that Ethereum would be something worth mining and holding on to at the end of 2015 (when it was $0.40 cents and helped me pursuade my boyfriend to start mining and trading before we sold when it went above $1,000 is the same foresight i've used in seeing the long view of this game's development.

Doing the former paid of my student loans. Doing the later will pay off in many years of fun. In some ways, it already has.

i hope this clears things up. i am fairly certain that what we are witnessing isn't some co-ordinated marketing campaign. it's the result of years of game development and an influx of new blood.

if you want, feel free to share this in its entirety.

It really is the Stimpire of Shill Texts and gets funnier to me with each new indicator.

Sleek black membership cards to signal belonging in an prestigious space community ... where could he have gotten THAT idea from?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

I suppose this is goon's fault too.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Star Citizen ran out of poo poo to buy so now streamers are getting in on the grift. This is the sign of a very healthy community.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Taintrunner posted:

Star Citizen ran out of poo poo to buy so now streamers are getting in on the grift. This is the sign of a very healthy community.

https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1147386081488363520

:lol:

I didn’t realize they were metal engraved membership cards even. It’s the Concierge Black gimmick all over again. Then again, why mess with a winning formula?

(At least his really are black...)

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
WHEN WILL AI PILOT SUBMARINES?

---

HURSTON GUARDS AND WEAPONS FLOAT TO CEILING ON DEATH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8JtESu7ivY

AI CAN'T SHOOT YOU IF YOU RUN AROUND THEM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZX12itSWAY

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

The Rapture is in :getin:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I like that psychedelic wavy effect in videos. Clearly something this dumb and buggy can't be real. It's just bad dream or you're intoxicated or something.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Everyone's under water again

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Anyone QR code check these to see if it goes anywhere?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Pilz posted:

I don't think you're wrong. Consider the economic shift moving the center of power from the US to China, a totalitarian state (We should all stop trading with that country, but we won't). Now consider the potential effects runaway climate change could have on China's wealth. How many of China's major cities are costal? Beijing is already blanketed in smog most of the year. And what happens when its breadbasket turns into a dustbowl due to poor agricultural management brought on by incompetent communist management? Sex disparity is also a problem in China thanks to outdated gender roles causing girls to be killed off. Historically, massive sex imbalance on either side has caused unrest - see woman's marches after bloody wars wipe out male populations. Then you've got the minorities which China is increasingly attempting to exterminate who will absolutely fight back if their backs are truly pushed up against a wall. China has survived thus far due to the economic success it has been able to deliver - often in spite of itself and at the expense of everyone else. What totalitarian state has managed to survive given a widely educated populace and a loss of faith in the government's ability to bring prosperity?

Then you look at how Russia's getting handsy with its neighbors and the issues of wealth disparity and coming population drop that the First World has...it's not a good look. Might not be time to stock up on bullets, cigarettes, and canned food just yet but I'd certainly make sure my investment portfolio was well-diversified.

I can't speak about any specific development, but I find it hilarious that none of the western governments see any issue with a rising totalitarian state like China. They are just so deep into bullshit and corporate word salad, that I think they've in sense lost touch with reality. Same with most major business leaders.

The silver lining (of sorts) here is when your leaders start believing their own BS, that leaves them vulnerable, at least in the medium to long term.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

happyhippy posted:

Anyone QR code check these to see if it goes anywhere?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/ZILLA

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

JackSplater posted:

*looks at 3 copies of gta 5 across three different platforms* Oh god, am I the problem? How many jpegs do I have to buy to make up for this?!

I'm afraid that if you're that deep into GTA V, not even an Idris can help you now.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LobzUVTiYVM

YO YO YO DID WE TALK ABOUT THIS YET

Oh boy one more thing to cross off the list of "Elite doesn't have [insert thing star citizen will never have]!"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gosts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LobzUVTiYVM

YO YO YO DID WE TALK ABOUT THIS YET

Oh boy one more thing to cross off the list of "Elite doesn't have [insert thing star citizen will never have]!"

Elite Dangerous is amazing and i'm really excited for this update. Need to start saving up in-game currency because unlike Star Citizen you can't throw $10,000 for a single jpg.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Elite Dangerous is amazing and i'm really excited for this update. Need to start saving up in-game currency because unlike Star Citizen you can't throw $10,000 for a single jpg.

Finally caved and bought in. Any tips from the thread?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Pilz posted:

Drink heavily while playing.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
tennocon this weekend on twitch if you wanna watch how an actual game company produces content and interacts with its fanbase

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
also every time I play elite I just get loving ecstatic that I can disembark or land at a station that I do that once or twice and quit playing as I pat myself on the back

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pilz posted:

I got my start with doing carrier missions, delivering goods from station to station. Now is a great time to get in because the game has more auto pilot modules that you can get for your ships.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

skeletors_condom posted:

I personally believe there will be some sort of massive realignment of global society in the next 15-30 years. Something similar to the period 1910-1950 (conceptually if not practically). The internet was born in 1969; the information age is arguably ~50 years old. I think it's reasonable to expect some sort massive period of change and instability soon. Every major historical transition (feudalism to enlightenment, enlightenment to industrialization) involved pretty radical changes (with changes in the last 250 years being particularly rapid), I don't see why things would be different with the information age. I could be wrong though, so who knows? :confused:

It depends on technology, really. In particular to what degree energy becomes cheap and clean. The emergence of cheap/clean energy would completely reshape the global economy, which is still heavily dominated by various energy-related sectors: trading the raw materials for energy, commodities produced by expending energy or machinery related to energy production. If energy becomes a non-issue we'll see a completely unpredictable shift in power.

However, if energy remains a limited resource, I think energy-related conflict is inevitable. Global regulation of fossil fuels, how various nations will approach nuclear energy, the control of various rare materials, the spread of energy efficiency technologies, etc.

The internet has been a paradigm shift in communication and diffusion of ideas - and has paradoxically made the western world dumber, more intolerant and more unstable, even though information and knowledge has never been more readily available. However, I do think it will play a big role in allowing developing countries to attain better education and technological progress independent of patronage from developed countries. But, I don't think it will affect the internal power balance of the various nations that much. The same groups have power, but conflict and social unrest will be higher. Not cyberpunk dystopia levels of social conflict, but like social unrest in the eras you mentioned.

Any empowering effect on the common people made by the internet is offset by the increased surveillance and control it grants the powers-that-be. I don't think it will shift power much in either direction apart from exceptional cases like China, where it's creating arguably the most powerful state the world has ever known (speaking of internal power, not geopolitically).

But the internet has given us inexhaustible entertainment, and I'm eternally grateful to have learned of such cultural figureheads as pgabz, the epic tales of the stimpire and that avatar of post-modernism: AdzAdama.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

SelenicMartian posted:

What would be the key moments of SC "development" to recreate in Mario Maker 2? There's a low-/zero-g theme there for space bits.
And done. Not quite as exhaustive as I hoped, but gently caress it.

The Star Citizen Saga

SVS-CLR-6NG

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Pilz posted:

Always boost through the mail slot

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Neltharak posted:

The Rapture is in :getin:

Jesus did the original T-pose

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

History Comes Inside! posted:

So he only has at best ~15 people bothering to interact with his Twitter?

By what metric does that make him any kind of influencer?

Those 15 or so people are REALLY gullible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010