Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

ninjewtsu posted:

The guild 2 is a really cool game that I can never get terribly far in (my blacksmithing business slowly grows until its booming, then really suddenly the market is saturated and my business dies)

I've seen that the guild 3 is a game for sale in EA on steam, is that any good?

I've never tried 3 and couldn't get into 2 even though I tried multiple times. There's something about 1 that makes it a lot more fun to gently caress around with it's systems. You have more interesting professions available at the start and more laws and offices to do politics with, more different types of properties even iirc. I also think the trick is skipping the boring-rear end vanilla craftsmen who mostly sit around and, uh, craft, and going straight for thief, moneylender, priest, gravekeeper or even innkeeper.

On the other hand, it's janky as poo poo. So if it doesn't exactly push your buttons - don't force yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ninjewtsu posted:

i'm looking for a fantasy game where instead of being a hero going on an epic journey, you're more "a person living in the world," who's fulfilling some kind of specific role in society. that role can be "being a murderhobo" if murderhoboing is less "a plucky kid and his band of friends out to kill god" and more "a reasonable career path that many others have chosen." games i've played already that fit into what i'm looking for:

recettear
final fantasy tactics A2
most of the crystal chronicles games
majesty
graveyard keeper
rune factory

i already know moonlighter exists but i can't say the game interests me terribly (for reasons aside from the criteria i'm looking for here)
Are you looking for a game where you start off as a random peasant in a fantasy world and get caught up in saving the world or are you looking for farming simulator except your problems sometimes include goblin attacks and rains of frogs?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Splicer posted:

Are you looking for a game where you start off as a random peasant in a fantasy world and get caught up in saving the world or are you looking for farming simulator except your problems sometimes include goblin attacks and rains of frogs?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rune Factory 4?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

grate deceiver posted:

Europa 1400/The Guild remains the best 'having a normal job' simulator, but it's more like a management/politcs game and it's very light on fantasy elements.

how is its politics game, is it on the level of ck2 in terms of intrigue and weird curveballs? Or is it more do a favor for x in order to level up his faction until you have enough favor points to take over?

double nine fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 1, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I would also like this game.

Not quite what you're looking for and the art looks real rough but there's a game called The Quest Giver due out next year you might like. Guild of Dungeoneering for another sideways recommendation.

Also stardew valley has dungeon delving and farming.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

double nine posted:

how is its politics game, is it on the level of ck2 in terms of intrigue and weird curveballs? Or is it more do a favor for x in order to level up his faction until you have enough favor points to take over?

It's more like ck2, but smaller scale. There's no faction standing, only relations between characters, like in ck. Game takes place in one medieval city. Each city has several offices that you can get elected to. Each office can usually influence one or more city laws (like taxes, severity of punishment, trade tariffs, and so on), which you can use to your advantage or to screw over other powerful families. Each city official is a character that exists in the world, owns property or runs a business, that you can interact with, befriend, blackmail, frame for crimes, or even kidnap.

Example power move - you can forge documents to accuse someone of crime, get elected or bribe someone to increase law everity to maximum. Then during trial bribe or seduce the judges and watch them get sentenced to death. Then you buy up all their property at an auction. Another one, if you're playing the thief guild or robber baron, is to buy up all the guard posts in the city and the send all the guards home, so you can do whatever you like.

It's cool how every city official has a mechanical function in the game - apart from setting laws, there's judges who vote on sentences, if you're above a trash-tier clerk, you also get to vote on who to elect to lower offices, etc. Lot of potential for fuckery. The church has it's own separate structure, then there's also guilds and iirc a few endgame state-level positions.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Stardew valley is great to jump into for misc citizen meddling as you get to know the various villagers, and the dungeon diving is...okay, it's decent, it can get awkward fighting in certain directions due to the perspective. It's just a generally chill game and if you decide to jump into modding it there's some pretty expansive ones out there.

Maybe give recettear a shot, it's an item shop management game where you hire adventurers to go delving into dungeons and get stuff to craft with or to just sell outright. You can haggle with customers and learn certain customer likes and dislikes. There's also a hokey story to it that was localized very well by a couple of goons who formed a company called Carpe Fulgur. It's good fun and can be had for 5 bucks on sale.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 1, 2019

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

New Leaf posted:

Wow, yeah that looks amazingly like what I want, thanks! Is the DLC worth it during the Steam sale?

Another strong contender, may have to get it too..

If you like the game you’ll like the DLC. It basically adds a high level challenge to be completed after the main quest. But it’s not essential to the gameplay, things will feel complete without it just fine.

Edit: I can also recommend Rebuild 3. It feels similar except it’s broken into smaller levels instead of one larger world.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 1, 2019

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

New Leaf posted:

I'm looking for something that might not exist.. Is there a game where you're kind of managing a society who has to go out and scavenge for resources in a hostile landscape? Maybe where they can find rare weapons or equipment or locations to e something and I can decide who gets it.. I don't know what I'm really looking for, I think I just want a Fallout Shelter or something on PC that doesn't suck.

This War Of Mine might work for you - you are managing a handful of civilians in a war zone, you have a building you live in that you make improvements to and do chores, and then you send your people out on missions to scavenge for stuff and you deal with challenges out there like encountering/fighting/fleeing from soldiers or bandits, dealing with other civilians, finding food and supplies to bring back home, etc. You have to manage everyone's health/morale/other stats and deal with limited supplies of things that you need. Somebody gets sick and needs medicine so do you do a dangerous and difficult scavenging mission to the hospital that you know is occupied by hostile bandits or do you just let them be sick and maybe they die, those sorts of decisions.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

gohuskies posted:

This War Of Mine might work for you - you are managing a handful of civilians in a war zone, you have a building you live in that you make improvements to and do chores, and then you send your people out on missions to scavenge for stuff and you deal with challenges out there like encountering/fighting/fleeing from soldiers or bandits, dealing with other civilians, finding food and supplies to bring back home, etc. You have to manage everyone's health/morale/other stats and deal with limited supplies of things that you need. Somebody gets sick and needs medicine so do you do a dangerous and difficult scavenging mission to the hospital that you know is occupied by hostile bandits or do you just let them be sick and maybe they die, those sorts of decisions.

That's actually one of my favorite games of all time.. it's just horribly depressing as well, and I played it to death a few years ago. If Thea doesn't scratch the itch, I might give it a reinstall.

Honestly, it was kind of a very vivid "This War Of Mine"-esque dream that started me on this little search. To put it as succintly as possible since people describing their dreams is horribly boring, I was separated from my family during some sort of catastrophic event and was taken in by a group and had to provide value to the society by scavenging to get enough resources to make my way back home.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I think I ruined this war of mine by devoting my resources to bootleg booze and establishing a fairly comfortable setup where I was entirely self reliant and never had to make any tough choices. it was funny though

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I used to love 3-click golf games like Hot Shots Golf and Mario Golf. I haven't touched the genre in decade or more but wanted to play one again. What are some good modern-ish equivalents? I have a PC, Switch, and PS4.

Thanks!

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Definitely Everybody's Golf, which is on PS4 and is excellent. Also Golf Story is really fun, although it's less of a straight-up 18 holes at a time golf tournament game and more of a collection of tasks and minigamea that require golf mechanics to complete. The humor is just ok but serviceable, but the game does do creative things with the golf toolset. I think I got more mileage overall with Everybody's Golf, but had a slightly better time work Golf Story.

SoR Blaze fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 6, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
If it didn't have lots of the game gated behind way too much side content I'd totally suggest trying to emulate some Spheda on PS2.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm going to get a switch hopefully soon, what switch-exclusive games are must-buys? I've ordered BOTW, mario odyssey and smash ultimate, and plan on likely buying Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, cadence of hyrule, and maybe mario kart 8. Is xenoblade chronicles 2 okay if I've never played any of the other(s)? Is there any way to get xenoblade chronicles 1 on switch yet? Any digital exclusive must-buys, too? Would this post be better suited for the main Switch thread?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm going to get a switch hopefully soon, what switch-exclusive games are must-buys? I've ordered BOTW, mario odyssey and smash ultimate, and plan on likely buying Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, cadence of hyrule, and maybe mario kart 8. Is xenoblade chronicles 2 okay if I've never played any of the other(s)? Is there any way to get xenoblade chronicles 1 on switch yet? Any digital exclusive must-buys, too? Would this post be better suited for the main Switch thread?

It's not exactly exclusive (the first game is on Steam, and the collection is also available on 3DS), but if you like action-platformers in the same vein of Mega Man Zero, the Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack is well worth it, if you haven't already played them.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Splatoon 2 is incredible. Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate is absolutely one of the best games on the system, but you could bounce off of it if you're not into that style of gameplay and it's hard to tell from the demo - maybe look up some video of it?

I found Xenoblade Chronicles 2 dull. I couldn't finish it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm a Monster Hunter World fella, I've never liked any prior monster hunter games, so I'll probably just stick to MHW.

I've always liked the aesthetic of Splatoon, but how much single player stuff is there? I'm not really into multiplayer games anymore.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I'm looking for a PC RPG where the player character can unironically be a big drat hero who saves the day and that day stays saved. A straightforward feel-good power fantasy in the spirit of a Paragon playthrough of Mass Effect 2.

Not looking for: grimdark everything-is-shades-of-gray-and brown settings, pyrrhic victories that were never worth fighting for, cynical parodies that take the piss out of heroic tropes.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Arcanum

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ephemeron posted:

I'm looking for a PC RPG where the player character can unironically be a big drat hero who saves the day and that day stays saved. A straightforward feel-good power fantasy in the spirit of a Paragon playthrough of Mass Effect 2.

Not looking for: grimdark everything-is-shades-of-gray-and brown settings, pyrrhic victories that were never worth fighting for, cynical parodies that take the piss out of heroic tropes.

Avernum 3: Ruined World is fairly oldschool in presentation but has what you want. You don't need to have played the previous games , though they're also quite good IMO.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I hope that adult themed mass effect homage lets you be an abstinent good guy

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm a Monster Hunter World fella, I've never liked any prior monster hunter games, so I'll probably just stick to MHW.

I've always liked the aesthetic of Splatoon, but how much single player stuff is there? I'm not really into multiplayer games anymore.

There's a bunch, especially with the expansion DLC, but if you're not going to touch multi it's probably not worth the purchase.

The only other essential I can think of for the system is Lumines Remastered, which isn't technically exclusive but is the perfect game to have on a portable system.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I'm looking for a recommendation for an open world RPG. I've been thinking about what appealed to me so much about Morrowind that Oblivion and Skyrim weren't able to capture. I think some of the nostalgia around it is that Morrowind played.. passing well, but it had a ton of hilariously buggy exploitable systems and for being clunky as hell it had stellar lore and an exotic setting full of neat stuff. The games that followed it may have been better games, but they weren't as memorable an experience.

Are there any games that kind of fit the same mold, where it might not be the best game mechanically but has a setting with really rich lore and exploration?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Meldonox posted:

Are there any games that kind of fit the same mold, where it might not be the best game mechanically but has a setting with really rich lore and exploration?

It's not an RPG and its mechanics are good, but check out Outer Wilds.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Meldonox posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for an open world RPG. I've been thinking about what appealed to me so much about Morrowind that Oblivion and Skyrim weren't able to capture. I think some of the nostalgia around it is that Morrowind played.. passing well, but it had a ton of hilariously buggy exploitable systems and for being clunky as hell it had stellar lore and an exotic setting full of neat stuff. The games that followed it may have been better games, but they weren't as memorable an experience.

have you played Piranha Bytes games - Gothic 2, Risen, Elex? They very much scratch that itch imo

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Meldonox posted:

Witcher 3?

e: Oh and it's an older one but Arx Fatalis has a wonderful exploration/lore feel

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jul 12, 2019

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
I'm about to get a switch. Can anyone tell me about console games for toddlers? Are like the Paw Patrol game or Barbie games or Peppa Pig games complete utter trash or do they have some redeeming value?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

have you played Piranha Bytes games - Gothic 2, Risen, Elex? They very much scratch that itch imo

Seconding this. I imagine Risen would be the best place to start but I am not an expert on these games. I also assume you've played Fallout New Vegas, which is what I immediately thought of.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Does anybody know of a game similar to the old SimGolf? I've seen Resort Boss Golf but it seems a little too early access and the games I'm seeing with a designer lack the management aspect.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 12, 2019

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Thanks guys! I've seen some of those thrown around before, maybe it's time I check them out. And yeah, I've deffo played a lot of New Vegas and am a big fan of the game.

One more thing I didn't think about, how rooted in the main storyline are your suggestions? One of my favorite things about Morrowind was checking in with my sweaty half-naked skooma addict boss Caius for a mission and then maybe not do it for days at a time because I could ignore the main quest entirely and do sidequest chains and explore all I wanted.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Hey, everyone. I'm looking for a realistic (not necessarily mechanically, but visually and cars, at least) racing game. I've been getting enjoyment out of Mario Kart on the Switch, but have been hankering for a more realistic one, after a few years. I've typically stuck to Gran Turismo and Need for Speed, but I'm willing to branch out. I'm also not interested in multiplayer (especially because of my crap internet), so I don't care if a game includes it, but don't want it to be the focus.

So, I suppose my question is what is generally considered the best one right now? My PC is dated, so my options are PS4 and Switch.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I haven't played it, but you can try out Forza 4 on the Xbox Game Pass, which you can currently join for $1.

edit: Whoops, you have a dated PC and no Xbox, so... I guess I'll just leave this here in case it helps someone else. I personally got the game pass to try out Void Bastards, but it would also be a great way to try out Sea of Thieves.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 13, 2019

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
i like easy PC games (FPS, RPG, whatever) where i dont need to be an esports pro or learn a lot of complex mechanics and manage character/item poo poo - basically games where the focus is on the world and story

any from the past.. 10+ years that i might have missed that are just cool to play and dont require effort? (i can also throw it on easy, i just dont want to have to learn how to manage poo poo just to progress to the next stage)

i liked:

dishonored 1/2 (but didnt finish either)
the witcher 3
the metro games
the halflife games
mass effect 2
rise of the tomb raider

i was thinking of checking out:

the new wolfenstein
the new doom
metal gear solid: the phantom pain

but beyond that i dont really know

e: this is a lot to ask so probably ignore this part, but if it also offers full italian or german audio, that'd be amazing. for example, the witcher 3 has german, dishonored and tomb raider have italian

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 13, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I was going to suggest Doom 2016 before I even saw that you were already considering it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Absolutely go right into the new doom. It oozes atmosphere and the story, what there is of it, is delightfully sardonic. You can adjust the difficulty but if you ever played the original doom or doom 2 it's got that feel in a more modern style. Maybe not 90mph, but close.

Plus doom eternal is looking to be an improvement on the first in basically every way, and the original doom 2016 is already insanely good, I am so excited to play D:E

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hitman 2 + the legacy levels sound like you'd enjoy the hell out of them, every level is stuffed full of interesting conversations and things to do.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
two recs for doom is a good sign, thank you

hitman! that was also on my mind but i forgot, i wasnt sure if it was going to require too much patience since im normally a "sneak until you gently caress up then just rambo"

i bought shadow of mordor but could only get like half an hour in before i gave up, so im trying to avoid repeats of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Sulla Faex posted:

hitman! that was also on my mind but i forgot, i wasnt sure if it was going to require too much patience since im normally a "sneak until you gently caress up then just rambo"

Hitman definitely works with this playstyle. It's pretty fun doing any level this way the first time, then going back (from another starting location, or trying another target) and attempting to be just little stealthier