Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

YF-23 posted:

Bruno died because his body was already dead, so the soul swap that was going to happen just sent him straight to heaven. Destroying the soul sun doesn't kill you, it just erases the "shadow of your soul" that Chariot Requiem represents.

Think about what you said and how little sense that makes. The shadow of your soul? What

Why does your body being dead make any difference? You just killed your soul

dancingbears posted:

I read this as King Crimson punches his own soul and maims it, while Bucciarati went the full mile and outright destroyed his own soul.

No he exploded his soul, same as Buccaletti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Honestly thinking about it at all makes my dick itch

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It's less the soul itself and more a representation of it.

It's like if you break a lightbulb in your house you haven't killed your power, just the bulb.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Why is there a representation of your soul behind your head

Fester: what

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
why wouldn't their be a representation of your soul behind your head.

the nature, location and tangibiliy of the human soul have been debated and explored for millennium. araki's answer isn't THAT weird. it just comes out of nowhere

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Bucciarati should've been smarter and pull a Ginyu injuring his/Diavolo's body before the swap.

Anyway, while I still enjoyed this Jojo way more than the average anime this part has been the weakest for me so far. It's been a mantra in this thread that it's an improved Stardust Crusaders but I couldn't disagree more, specially for this part here:

Monaghan posted:

Except the part 4 crew was way better than part 5. Bruno and maybe Abbachio were the only guys I cared about. Giorno sucks, Fugo is nothing and Narancia is meh. How can we say that the cast is better when the only interactions are really with one another in the context "oh poo poo another stand attack"

People write off most of part 3 because it's made up mostly of self-contained monster-of-the-week episodes but those episodes are filled with moments where we see the characters in mundane situations, like Joseph teaching the others how to haggle or ride a camel, just hanging around and talking in hotels, cafés... or asking people for information, which makes us empathize with them (and part 4 is even better at this). The Passione gang on the other hand only has a handful of moments like that and hardly interacts with ANYONE who isn't an enemy after the first few episodes, I honestly couldn't feel sad for the deaths of this part because they feel closer to units in a strategy game than actual people.

The enemies were also a let down, I enjoyed the variety in parts 3 and 4 that included users that ranged from literal babies to elderly, men and women, and even animals. Part 5 only has (very fashionable) thugs, and while some of them like Pesci or Giacchio leave a strong impression others kind of muddle together, I'd have a hard time identifying which was the Kraftwork user and the Little Feet one without looking it up.

Plus most of the complaints around this final stretch.

I still enjoyed it nonetheless, and to end in a positive note I'll say the animation has been top snotch throughout the series and a definitive improvement over the previous ones.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

snackcakes posted:

Right, right, Giorno undid all that but if he didn't have his Requiem power there would be blood in his eyes. That's the part I don't get.

I don't get it either. He can't interact with people but he can cut off Trish's hand and run off with her? And splash blood in people's eyes? And control Mista's body to get close to Giorno? Aerosmith's bullets phased through him but he still had to dodge Mista's? It's very inconsistent.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Expect My Mom posted:

the nature, location and tangibiliy of the human soul have been debated and explored for millennium. araki's answer isn't THAT weird. it just comes out of nowhere

So Diavolo's sun smelled kinda like Trish's, and Giorno can weight the suns.

Mista didn't want Giorno getting up on his face and rubbing his sun ball.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I’m on my way to anime expo right now and I cannot wait for the insane jojo cosplays

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Expect My Mom posted:

Why WOULD there be a "representation" of your soul behind your head? What the gently caress

It makes NO SENSE and doesn't even make sense here because one person destroys it and nothing happens and one destroys it and dies immediately wtf and I guarantee you we'll never see this dumb poo poo again

Bad writing is bad

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
Bruno... words can't
You were the buss the world didn't deserve, but those clouds don't deserve the silver lining of your zipper :yaycloud:

Since goons gonna spoil, I'm skipping over the last 3 pages. As someone who knows nothing more than what the anime has shown so far, my take on 『GER』is that it has the same effect as 「GE」in that things touched by it will return to their origin (thanks Mr. Mole :3:). So basically that is what is happening with reality.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

getting real mad about the anime with vampires and hamon and stands itt

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Alan_Shore posted:

Why WOULD there be a "representation" of your soul behind your head? What the gently caress

It makes NO SENSE and doesn't even make sense here because one person destroys it and nothing happens and one destroys it and dies immediately wtf and I guarantee you we'll never see this dumb poo poo again

Bad writing is bad

Your posts are infinitely worse.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alan_Shore posted:

Bad writing is bad

You're misunderstanding. Destroying the "sun" didn't kill Bucciarati, it killed Chariot Requiem, and undid its power. Because of that, every soul returned to whence it came, but Bucciarati's had nowhere to go since his body is double dead at this point (as shown by the fact that it couldn't keep the soul it did have in it, Doppio's). Thus, Bucciarati's soul ascended to Heaven, while everyone else returned to their original bodies.

Also it feels kind of weird to say "why X" in Jojo of all places. The soul sun thing exists because of Chariot Requiem, it's part of its abilities.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Alan_Shore posted:

Bad writing is bad

SCR controls people's souls by giving everybody their own light source. Bucciarati died because he ended the body swapping shenanigans and his body is finally actually for-reals dead.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Diavolo just smacked the orb but didn’t destroy it completely. He was at an advantage and didn’t want to undo the swappo

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ok so why didn't Chariot Requiem die when King Crimson punched his sun soul? Why did it only die when Buccaletti punched his? Was it a special 2 soul suns for one deal?

If Buccaletti is dead cos his body is dead then it is would be utter bullshit if Polnareff isn't dead too, but we didn't see him at all this episode because...

Edit: ^^^ well if he only "smacked" his sun soul then the would make more sense, but it's still the dumb as balls

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 6, 2019

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Alan_Shore posted:

Ok so why didn't Chariot Requiem die when King Crimson punched his sun soul? Why did it only die when Buccaletti punched his? Was it a special 2 soul suns for one deal?

If Buccaletti is dead cos his body is dead then it is would be utter bullshit if Polnareff isn't dead too, but we didn't see him at all this episode because...

KC didn't completely destroy his sun so SCR didn't get completely destroyed, you keep asking the same question

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's not that complicated

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Xad posted:

KC didn't completely destroy his sun so SCR didn't get completely destroyed, you keep asking the same question

Look I'm sorry if it's poo poo and dumb, you're saying stuff like "King Crimson didn't destroy his sun" as if that's normal and cool. I know it's JoJo but all the other parts made sense and didn't rear end-pull garbage at the final hour

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Are you loving serious

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

grieving for Gandalf posted:

It's not that complicated, it's just that everyone has a soul that's not your soul that looks like a little sun that hovers behind your head and if you punch it hard you'll die and if you punch it just a bit you'll be fine and this never came up before and will never be referenced again

Edit:

RevolverDivider posted:

Are you loving serious

Yes, I dare you to point to something in parts 2 -4 that made less sense

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 6, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alan_Shore posted:

Look I'm sorry if it's poo poo and dumb, you're saying stuff like "King Crimson didn't destroy his sun" as if that's normal and cool. I know it's JoJo but all the other parts made sense and didn't rear end-pull garbage at the final hour

Jotaro literally gains the ability to control time at the last possible fight with an explanation that contradicts the rules of Stands (not like anything follows them...)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Its called jojo’s bizarre adventure for a reason

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

It's not that complicated, it's just that everyone has a soul that's not your soul that looks like a little sun that hovers behind your head and if you punch it hard you'll die and if you punch it just a bit you'll be fine and this never came up before and will never be referenced again

everyone doesn't have that all the time. it's a condition set by Silver Chariot Requiem to evade people pursuing the arrow. the sun isn't your soul, it's a light source attached to your soul. it can be present yet only present for you because that's how Requiem stands are

if you're really having this much trouble, it must be fun to watch this kind of show because you're constantly going "wow!!" or "huh!?" I envy you

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
JoJo has established that Ghosts Are Real and that locations can be ghosts and I wonder what this means for SCR's Soul Orbs

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Ok... If you're telling me that The Sun was an extension of Chariot's power to remain hidden from everyone by changing position as a shadow...
It's a good idea! A stand that's a shadow, but has weird position because he applies the light source to you!
Why the gently caress is the word "soul" there at all, then?! Just make it a magic lightbulb. Diavolo hurt it, Bruno killed it, badaboom, everyone switched back, same result. Wouldn't be any weirder than, say, Jotaro sucking in Enya's stand (I'm talking about just the sun-punching part here).

Why is it so much more confusing than it should be? Diavolo just starts screaming about his soul and punches some orb. Usually there's at least some time for us to see the weakness and come to the conclusion, but here it's just "hey i have a soul boom". Just say that it makes everyone brighter and make the puzzle more convoluted by characters saying that he walks different direction for each! It would be so much more interesting! Instead, I barely understood what was he doing, and it wasn't mysterious, just boring. Having an illusion of him walking different paths would've created a mystery much more interesting than "welp, they can't hit him because reasons i guess". Let the characters think and guess! Y'know, one of the best parts of fight scenes in Jojo.

Yeah, no, the explanation doesn't sound as ridiculous, but holy hell you have to understand this poo poo, and even then, the heroes were just walking for what feels like forever.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Vookatos posted:

Ok... If you're telling me that The Sun was an extension of Chariot's power to remain hidden from everyone by changing position as a shadow...
It's a good idea! A stand that's a shadow, but has weird position because he applies the light source to you!
Why the gently caress is the word "soul" there at all, then?! Just make it a magic lightbulb. Diavolo hurt it, Bruno killed it, badaboom, everyone switched back, same result. Wouldn't be any weirder than, say, Jotaro sucking in Enya's stand (I'm talking about just the sun-punching part here).

Why is it so much more confusing than it should be? Diavolo just starts screaming about his soul and punches some orb. Usually there's at least some time for us to see the weakness and come to the conclusion, but here it's just "hey i have a soul boom". Just say that it makes everyone brighter and make the puzzle more convoluted by characters saying that he walks different direction for each! It would be so much more interesting! Instead, I barely understood what was he doing, and it wasn't mysterious, just boring. Having an illusion of him walking different paths would've created a mystery much more interesting than "welp, they can't hit him because reasons i guess". Let the characters think and guess! Y'know, one of the best parts of fight scenes in Jojo.

Yeah, no, the explanation doesn't sound as ridiculous, but holy hell you have to understand this poo poo, and even then, the heroes were just walking for what feels like forever.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
It Just Works

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
They use Soul because the light reflects a shadow that has your stand (your soul) manifest from to protect the arrow.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I mean, it's not really my point. Even if it was clear as day, it still could've been better if there was mystery and actual mystery solving instead of chariot slowly walking and Diavolo introducing a completely new concept out of nowhere.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Blaze Dragon posted:

Jotaro literally gains the ability to control time at the last possible fight with an explanation that contradicts the rules of Stands (not like anything follows them...)

That's bull, Jotaro gains the ability to slightly control time when he realizes that his stand is similar/less powerful than Dio's. It makes perfect sense to go "oh, my stand is like yours, maybe I can use the same power". That's good writing.

Vookatos posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is ridiculous holy hell

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Diavolo can throw his blood at people, cause after it leaves his body it's no longer a part of him.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

That's bull, Jotaro gains the ability to slightly control time when he realizes that his stand is similar/less powerful than Dio's. It makes perfect sense to go "oh, my stand is like yours, maybe I can use the same power". That's good writing.

In what way is Star Platinum similar to The World?

I like Stardust Crusaders a bunch but Star Platinum having the same power as The World is a total asspull. It's barely foreshadowed. Nowhere else in JoJo do two stands have the exact same power.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alan_Shore posted:

Stands are a reflection of the user's soul and completely unique to each individual. "My Stand is similar to yours" is nonsense, otherwise we can expect Jotaro to pull off healing powers too, considering the only thing they even have in common (or at all beyond the time stop thing) is punching really fast.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Star Platinum Vs The World is a great fight and super fun but that doesn't mean the circumstances behind it aren't stretching.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I think the sun ball is basically a psychic led. It’s probably the thing that gives you the cool colored aura when you use your stand.

[e] I hope araki uses the soul orb as a solution to a fight out of no where for a future part

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 6, 2019

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

JfishPirate posted:

I think this is the key. Ultimately, the gang was fighting against Diavolo because he was utterly evil. Giorno hated that he sold drugs to children, and the rest were mad that he attempted to kill his own daughter. Diavolo, the Devil in human form, believes only the results (that give him power) matter, even if that means innocents get hurt. The heroes did not. Bruno knew that the effort to save Trish was, in all likelihood, a suicide mission, but he went ahead with it anyway.

The episode today is the triumph of Good over Evil, of pure intentions over 'just the results', of the son of God (Dio) over the Devil (Diavolo). There were sacrifices along the way ("Abbachio" is the name of a roast lamb dish typically eaten during Easter, the proverbial 'sacrificial lamb'), but all in the name of enabling the son of God to become the King of Kings. This happens by using the arrow, a literally Heaven-sent object, being made from a meteor. GER sends the Devil to where he belongs: to Hell. He has sinned against innocent children, including his daughter, and deserves no fate other than damnation.

Bruno told Pesci that he "saw nobility in his eyes" until he went after Trish. Once he did that, Pesci was "fallen" and a "piece of poo poo". "You're going to fail, no matter what, when you're a piece of poo poo", Bruno says to Pesci. Diavolo was a piece of poo poo because he was the embodiment of evil, named "Devil", and only cared about the results. He set the fire that burned down the village and killed the priest. He tried to kill his daughter because she was theoretically a risk. He authorized the sales of lethal drugs to children. You cannot sin against the most innocent and holy among us and escape the wrath of the King of Kings. GER is the 'no matter what' that Bruno spoke of.

Part 5 is a fantastic story, and the Christian themes are key to appreciating it, at least in my view. There was even more Biblical imagery in this episode, from the various church buildings with prominent crosses to the cherubim accompanying Bruno into the clouds. I feel that reading the conflict between Giorno and Diavolo as a typical stand battle robs it of the emotional heft and spiritual importance that Araki has been building up. This is not a family conflict like Jotaro vs Dio, or a battle for the soul of a city like Josuke vs Kira. This is about the holy vs the wretched.

Just wanted to say thanks for this really good post. :shobon: Reading this really makes me want to ask Araki how much of part 5 was planned and when he came up with the themes for it.

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is ridiculous holy hell

Your posts in this thread have been devolving into a series of nitpicks (Giorno no longer hating repeating himself, no one guarding Abacchio, Trish's role in this part, not showing what happened to Polnareff), or someone posts confusion over what's happening in the latest episodes and you use their opinion to claim that part 5 is bad writing. The previous parts have their own share of minor nitpicks that don't make sense, yet you seem to have rolled fine with those. I'm sort of curious what sort of series or shows you think has good writing.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

DrManiac posted:

I think the sun ball is basically a psychic led. It’s probably the thing that gives you the cool colored aura when you use your stand.

:hmmyes: finally someone cracked the code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Blaze Dragon posted:

You're misunderstanding. Destroying the "sun" didn't kill Bucciarati, it killed Chariot Requiem, and undid its power. Because of that, every soul returned to whence it came, but Bucciarati's had nowhere to go since his body is double dead at this point (as shown by the fact that it couldn't keep the soul it did have in it, Doppio's). Thus, Bucciarati's soul ascended to Heaven, while everyone else returned to their original bodies.

Also it feels kind of weird to say "why X" in Jojo of all places. The soul sun thing exists because of Chariot Requiem, it's part of its abilities.

Speaking of which, why wasn't anyone (Giorno aside) worried about the fact that Bruno was going back to a body that had been fatally shot?

Archenteron posted:

It Just Works

How many Stands have we applied this mantra to at this point?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 6, 2019