Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

psy_wombats posted:

How did I miss this earlier, what the hell? An outfit's not going to save that.
You missed it because that's a cherrypicked frame and she generally looks fine, just look at the tweet promoting the outfits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

remember when the 5 second clip of byleth weirdly reading a book and leaving the room proved three houses was both a 3ds game and also bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Remember when people complained constantly about the framerate in the cgi cutscenes and now it seems like thats been improved because it doesnt really seem to be a thing in more recent trailers

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'll be honest I remember the generally negative opinions of the graphics and models following the Fire Emblem direct from a while ago but outside of the stockings I don't remember the specifics of what they were about at all. Other than that they looked not great.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

Remember when people complained constantly about the framerate in the cgi cutscenes and now it seems like thats been improved because it doesnt really seem to be a thing in more recent trailers

I was actually surprised by that because I figured it was an intentional artist choice. Echoes did the same thing. I wonder if they went back on it because of the backlash?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think echoes cg cutscenes were just kind of rushed

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

rannum posted:

I was actually surprised by that because I figured it was an intentional artist choice. Echoes did the same thing. I wonder if they went back on it because of the backlash?

Yeah, I felt like Echoes' weird jerky framerate cutscenes worked to its benefit as part of the whole janky throwback atmosphere it had going on. Dunno if that style was deliberate or not, but it was probably a good idea not to carry it over to a completely new title.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'll be honest I remember the generally negative opinions of the graphics and models following the Fire Emblem direct from a while ago but outside of the stockings I don't remember the specifics of what they were about at all. Other than that they looked not great.

I remember the Blyeth looking up after the FE chimes played and exitting the room looked real bad like she was an emotionalless robot slide whistling along the floor

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

I think echoes cg cutscenes were just kind of rushed
Honestly the half frames thing I think kind of worked? IT made them seem like weird dolls, it was a little jarring but it was so consistent and the scenes were otherwise high enough quality that it seemed intentional rather than just "oh god oh gently caress the game comes out WHEN"

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I would like the master-level classes to include a flying archer, an axe black mage, and a punchy-fist white mage.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

claude grit your teeth hilda says, sliding across the battlefield to punch him in the nads and healing him to full

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fire Emblem Three Houses: It's Three Real Estate

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zoran posted:

I would like the master-level classes to include a flying archer, an axe black mage, and a punchy-fist white mage.
Can't you just make these yourself? I'm still a bit unclear on what exactly is going on with weapon levels in this game and how classes are connected to them but it seems like there's not many restrictions on that front

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I cant wait to make the big dude a mage and send him out to goons.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
From what we've seen, to a degree yes. But an actual class would have skills to support those things more. Like the brawler has a skill that allows for no-weapon attacks, so you can go ham with the fist skills.

A brawling healer class probably has a skill like that and increased uses/learning of a spell.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Amppelix posted:

Can't you just make these yourself? I'm still a bit unclear on what exactly is going on with weapon levels in this game and how classes are connected to them but it seems like there's not many restrictions on that front

You need proficiency to qualify for the classes, if your Axe level is too low you can't take the test to unlock Warrior for instance. Classes themselves also push you towards using the class weapons because you get bonus Wexp for class weapons and classes have innate skills that sometimes benefit certain weapons (like brawlers have a skill that boosts punch weapons, you can't transfer it and lose it if you change to a different class). Also mounted units can't use fists and only magic using classes can use magic.

Otherwise you can make whatever weird combos you want work.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

it's pretty simple.

1) Any class can use any weapon. The exceptions are magic, which only mages can use, and fists, which mounted units can't use.
2) Weapon ranks are required to class change into certain classes. So becoming a cavalier requires Lance rank and Riding rank. Becoming a Thief requires Sword rank and Bow rank. Classes tend to learn skills related to the weapons that were required to get into that class.
3) Training students in their weapon ranks is the primary feature of the Monastery, but you do also earn a small amount of weapon experience in combat like usual.

So, for instance, you can have a Pegasus Knight use bows, but they wouldn't learn any Bow skills and it wouldn't help you down the Flying class tree, since Pegasus Knight is Lances + Flying and Wyvern Lord is Lances + Axes + Flying. But you can still put a bow in their inventory for use against other fliers or when you want them to not get countered. Likewise you can give a mage or healer a physical weapon for dealing with other mages, but they won't get any skills related to it in their magic classes.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Future challenge run: Straight A Student. Pick one student and have them reach A in all skill levels before the end of school.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

Future challenge run: Straight A Student. Pick one student and have them reach A in all skill levels before the end of school.
probably impossible

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I didn't see anyone post these:

Gilbert
A Knight of Seiros who hails from the Holy Kingdom. He’s deeply faithful, and is a serious and polite person. He doesn’t show much emotion, and doesn’t talk about himself a lot. As such, it’s hard to know what he feels about things, but supposedly he’s fond of fishing and cooking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_jAhtJItK4

quote:

“Nice to meet you, teacher. My name is Gilbert, and I shall be accompanying you on this assignment. While I do not know how much of a help I may be, I shall do all that I can to help you.”

>Aren’t you being a bit too stiff?

>Nice to work with you.

“I apologize, but that’s just how I am.”

Shamir

Shamir is a master at the bow, previously part of the Knights of Seiros. She was once a mercenary, but she became a knight in order to pay back a debt to Rhea (Church of Seiros’ High Priestess). Among the knights, she’s a rare non-believer of Seiros’ teachings, but she is completely loyal to Rhea personally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTSAMWiFRJk

quote:

Shamir: “I see you wandering the halls of the Monastery almost every day. If you’re looking for something, you should do a better job at it.”

Protagonist’s response:

“Been thinking about the enemy’s objective.”
“I’m not looking for anything.”

Shamir: “Then I suppose that’s fine. Well, it has nothing to do with me, but I eliminate those who get too close. It’s my job.”

I like Shamir a lot.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I think we saw Gilbert in the overview trailer as an armor swinging an axe around which was very cool and good

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Shamir does look great. She's almost guaranteed to be an antagonist.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Anyone is possible on a true route scenario.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Mokinokaro posted:

Shamir does look great. She's almost guaranteed to be an antagonist.

Huh? Why do you say that?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

it's a sophie's choice

either the various cool co-worker teachers like shamir or catherine or etc are evil or they're good and team evil is just team cartoonishly skulls-on-their-clothes evil gang who twirl their mustaches as they stage end of the world plots.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the antagonists of the post-timeskip stuff will be the characters from the other houses tho

like i wouldnt be surprised if the villains of the pre-timeskip stuff are just those who slither in the dark but also i imagine they'll just be the catalyst for whatever pushes the three countries into conflict with each other

theyve literally talked about how you'll be killing the other house's students post-timeskip

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
and this series is no stranger to having enemy generals who are decent enough people, but ultimately too committed to fighting and dying for the antagonists

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
She's an obvious Camus.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i wish fe fans werent so obsessed with archetypes

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

the antagonists of the post-timeskip stuff will be the characters from the other houses tho

like i wouldnt be surprised if the villains of the pre-timeskip stuff are just those who slither in the dark but also i imagine they'll just be the catalyst for whatever pushes the three countries into conflict with each other

theyve literally talked about how you'll be killing the other house's students post-timeskip

yea but the war is set up by the evil cult gang to rez their evil dragon god and you tragically find out in the end that all this war was unnecessary and that the crests are to blame

it's a fe game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

yea but the war is set up by the evil cult gang to rez their evil dragon god and you tragically find out in the end that all this war was unnecessary and that the crests are to blame

it's a fe game

i guarantee that this wont happen

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Sothis is almost certainly a dragon so there's probably an evil dragon too. Who knows what the context will be though

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Maybe Sothis is the evil dragon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ftr im sure theres an evil dragon and im sure theres an evil cult im just not convinced they're going to somehow back out of reasonable human conflict considering how much criticism fates got (even in japan fyi) for doing that and how theyve made it explicitly clear that you will be fighting and killing the other houses' characters

like it probably wont be the greatest story ever told or anything but a lot of fates' issues stemmed from how badly it tried to absolve corrin of any guilt or not even have them kill characters from the other routes while here they're outright promoting the fact that you'll be killing the other routes' characters which is something fates didn't really do, it placed a lot of emphasis on CHOICE in the trailers but never really put the burden of the 'wrong' choice onto the prospective player, if that makes sense.

like it's probably going to be like fe4 where the evil dragon thing is more used to get characters into conflict with each other and while there's cartoonishly evil villains they more exist to move the plot along while the villains who get a decent amount of screentime are fairly reasonable in terms of their motivations even if they're still obviously evil. manfroy is basically skeletor but he also exists to just warp in and play hypnofetish mp3s at light mages, arvis and travant are the ones who get characterization.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 6, 2019

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Tired Moritz posted:

She's an obvious Camus.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

and this series is no stranger to having enemy generals who are decent enough people, but ultimately too committed to fighting and dying for the antagonists

I'm betting/hoping this is only if you pick one of the other 2 houses.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't want to kill the other houses characters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it seems like all the teachers will be playable in certain maps of part 1 (because prepromotes are good to have around), if you look at the overview trailer like half the teachers are shown on the map at some point, including shamir. considering they'd have battle lines written and recorded for them anyway itd make sense to have them all be playable on at least one route.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
wasn't there a tweet by NoE that just kinda casually said you'd be taking down the church of seiros?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
nintendo UK let it slip on their facebook ad iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't want to kill the other houses characters

I want to kill all the other houses' characters.