Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
New course up:

Let's Talk About Hex, Baby
Q3M-JWJ-4SG

This is a Magikoopa-themed castle level. I tried to be mindful of how dangerous Magikoopas are and not have more than one or two on screen at once. I also tried to be thoughtful about item placement and provide enough power-ups to be forgiving. There are a few small secrets as well. Hopefully my silly title won't get my level deleted by Nintendo!

EDIT:

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Can you subscribe to particular makers?

Yes, click the star on their Maker profile. Their levels will show up in the Star tab in Course World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

You can star them and follow them!

Edit: That said, I'm only subscribed to about five or six people so drop your Maker code itt and I'll drop mine. QM6-G34-CXF

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Really liked this level, got the world record but wish there was a checkpoint until I beat it. But why is it tagged short and sweet?

Players can tag levels too. I had one of my early levels tagged as "Auto-Mario/Music" by some troll until someone nice fixed it. I didn't bother to go in and fix it myself because I figured it would fix itself.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 6, 2019

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Overbite posted:

I made a new level that I feel is a good example of coming up with ideas I think are cool and then being unable to recreate them as I wanted in game. I wanted something like the beginning of Indiana Jones where you go in the temple and can avoid the traps until you grab the idol and then everything goes wrong and you have to escape while the temple falls apart. I couldn't figure out how to make it fall apart because the bob ombs would not cooperate with the switches so I had to change it. I still think it turned out OK but it is not quite what I had imagined.

Legend of the Big Coin
6W9-542-79G

Really liked this level, got the world record but wish there was a checkpoint until I beat it. But why is it tagged short and sweet?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Here's an easy level by me, featuring deadly ramps.

The Star Citizen Saga

SVS-CLR-6NG

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Yes. You open their profile screen and there's a star in the upper right that you flag. Then they appear in the courses section of course world under the star tab.

Good Sphere posted:

My Bros of the Wild stage has 0.00% clear rate still

There, you've got your clear.

I think your problem might be more to do with the snake block section at the beginning being so unforgiving that most players would rather give up.

And that brings me to a topic I've wanted to raise for a bit: let's talk about snake blocks. Here's the thing, snake blocks are the most powerful, most useful new item in Mario Maker 2. They are player activated, mobile ground and there's a mountain of things you can do with that. And what 99.9% of makers choose to do is make track locked platforms at the default length.

Here's the properties of snake blocks you need to know: They push things. They crush things. Things placed on them do not move with them. They block things. The player can push on them. They're locked in place until the player stands on them. They do not respawn when they collapse. They can move as little as one square or as many as however long five screen lengths is. Tracks cannot overlap. The blue blocks have a movement rate four times that of the green ones. The maximum length of the snake itself is twelve and the minimum is three.

So if you see all of those abilities and the only thing that comes to mind is "What if the player stands on it to get over a hole?" still do not use the default length. Consider the five length block:

code:
#####
Now consider the five length block as it turns up.

code:
                     #
              #      #
        #     #      #
   #    #     #      #
####  ###    ##      #
That's kind of annoying with that small platforming since the act of turning reduces the actual platform size by two suddenly on the player, but also remember the player has to be in motion when you do this because they're trying to stay on it, so changing direction vertically with a five block snake is pretty challenging. Especially when the path is not known.

And that is why if you use the snake as a platform, it needs to be larger than five blocks.

But look at all the other things you can do! You can activate traps, make doors, lock players into or out of rooms, control timing, drop power ups on them, drop nastier things on them, activate launchers, open doors, make machinery, have dramatic moments. The snake is amazing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Made a silly gimmick level

Resident Molevil
SNT-MHD-H4G

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
This game was sort of a drunk purchase, really didn't think I was going to enjoy it or play it as much as I have. I fucken love everything about it now.

SelenicMartian posted:

The Star Citizen Saga

SVS-CLR-6NG

Can you explain the star citizen references in the level?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

J-Spot posted:

You may not have been able to do what you wanted but I think this turnout out great.

Random Stranger posted:

I wish I could hit the like button twice for this one. Levels built around a narrative framework, even a very basic one, are cool and this does it very well.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Thanks for the kind words. I was feeling down about how it turned out because I had a grand vision in my head and the reality didn't match up but I'm glad it turned out OK in the end.

Also the level has no checkpoint because you can't have a clear condition and a checkpoint in a level. And its short and sweet because it is both short and sweet.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

And that brings me to a topic I've wanted to raise for a bit: let's talk about snake blocks. Here's the thing, snake blocks are the most powerful, most useful new item in Mario Maker 2. They are player activated, mobile ground and there's a mountain of things you can do with that. And what 99.9% of makers choose to do is make track locked platforms at the default length.

Here's the properties of snake blocks you need to know: They push things. They crush things. Things placed on them do not move with them. They block things. The player can push on them. They're locked in place until the player stands on them. They do not respawn when they collapse. They can move as little as one square or as many as however long five screen lengths is. Tracks cannot overlap. The blue blocks have a movement rate four times that of the green ones. The maximum length of the snake itself is twelve and the minimum is three.

So if you see all of those abilities and the only thing that comes to mind is "What if the player stands on it to get over a hole?" still do not use the default length. Consider the five length block:

code:
#####
Now consider the five length block as it turns up.

code:
                     #
              #      #
        #     #      #
   #    #     #      #
####  ###    ##      #
That's kind of annoying with that small platforming since the act of turning reduces the actual platform size by two suddenly on the player, but also remember the player has to be in motion when you do this because they're trying to stay on it, so changing direction vertically with a five block snake is pretty challenging. Especially when the path is not known.

And that is why if you use the snake as a platform, it needs to be larger than five blocks.

But look at all the other things you can do! You can activate traps, make doors, lock players into or out of rooms, control timing, drop power ups on them, drop nastier things on them, activate launchers, open doors, make machinery, have dramatic moments. The snake is amazing.

snake block enthusiast unmasked

But to be fair Nintendo never really did anything interesting with them in SMW

I do quite like the underwater level in the second screenshot though where the snake block is used as a moving shield (the story mode levels own go play them)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Amppelix posted:

This would be because i was, in fact, trying everything. Got it right on the money there. I haven't felt like deleting the level but I'm not too proud of it either.

I liked it enough to save it, if that tells you anything.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Overbite posted:

I made a new level that I feel is a good example of coming up with ideas I think are cool and then being unable to recreate them as I wanted in game. I wanted something like the beginning of Indiana Jones where you go in the temple and can avoid the traps until you grab the idol and then everything goes wrong and you have to escape while the temple falls apart. I couldn't figure out how to make it fall apart because the bob ombs would not cooperate with the switches so I had to change it. I still think it turned out OK but it is not quite what I had imagined.

Legend of the Big Coin
6W9-542-79G

Really fun level. I enjoyed seeing all of the dangers on the way in, and realizing that I would have to get past them on the way out. (Also, world record, baby!) Poor Luigi, though.

Good Sphere posted:

My Bros of the Wild stage has 0.00% clear rate still and I think I know why. I saw a streamer play it that is quite good, and they didn’t know how to use the charge shot with the Fire Kupa Clown Car to get past a wall. P

I haven’t seen it used much as a mechanic, but I swear it was used on one of the early courses.

If you go to your course page, you can click the little x button toward the bottom to scroll through the level and see all of the "failure points" where people died. There's a chance that people are having difficulty in a place that you didn't expect, so it's good (and interesting!) to scroll through this.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 6, 2019

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Overbite posted:

Legend of the Big Coin
6W9-542-79G
To add to everyone else, I really liked this one!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
This is dumb and probably no one else cares, but can you put a link to the post you're actively updating with blitz/etc at the top of the op? It's a shitload of scrolling on mobile just to find the current blitz rules or link to the spreadsheet right now.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Nintendo should let you door between layers and also warp pipes shouldn't automatically bring you do the other layer.

Also, do the different color pipes mean different speeds at which something comes out?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, do the different color pipes mean different speeds at which something comes out?

Yes.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SelenicMartian posted:

The Star Citizen Saga

SVS-CLR-6NG

lmao ill try this soon

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Can you explain the star citizen references in the level?
Lots of kickstarter money, elaborate trailers, dire actual space combat, ground maps with ramps that kill people more than enemies, attempts to add extra stuff like trains. Oh, and someone short tempered is trying to have a movie career in the secret room.

Oh, and there's a dick in the comments, so it's perfect.

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008
Visitors of all kinds come to this park, each will enjoy it differently.

Flooded Fen
ID: DGW-N36-X2G

(A level with two paths this time, nothing too special.)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SelenicMartian posted:

Lots of kickstarter money, elaborate trailers, dire actual space combat, ground maps with ramps that kill people more than enemies, attempts to add extra stuff like trains. Oh, and someone short tempered is trying to have a movie career in the secret room.

Oh, and there's a dick in the comments, so it's perfect.

its a masterpiece

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

eonwe posted:

Nice levels! I thought the 3rd was the toughest. Creeper Cavern was probably the most fun to me.

High praise from my favorite CSPAMmer!

Got another fresh batch of levels for y'all. As a reminder, I aim for these to feel like traditional Mario stages. There are rewards for exploration, including 3 bonus coins per stage.

Expect lots of climbing and vertical challenges in the Craggy Kingdom. Maker code is in the image if you'd like to check them out.

Mushroom Mountain - Various challenges around Goomba stacks. I'm curious to know how easy it is to locate bonus coins.
Hoarfrost Heights - My first stab at an athletics level. I worry that it plays a little slow - makes me wish for varying camera speeds in subzones.
Crystal Crevasse - After trying to make vertical levels in SMM1, I was excited to mess around with the proper toolkit. Hopefully there aren't any unfair surprises as you ascend.
Chillwind Citadel - The boss stage of the bunch. Twisters seem to have quite a variety of applications.

Feedback is always welcome, and I hope you enjoy! Up next, the hero takes a beach vacation.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Strange find: Thwomps kill Rotten Mushrooms, but not Skewers. What else kills them?

Random Stranger posted:

There, you've got your clear.

I think your problem might be more to do with the snake block section at the beginning being so unforgiving that most players would rather give up.

Thanks! It’s true, and yes I could be doing so much more than them. I like when levels teach you and ramp up the difficulty, but I wanted to make a less novice less, but not so much expert.

DorianGravy posted:

If you go to your course page, you can click the little x button toward the bottom to scroll through the level and see all of the "failure points" where people died. There's a chance that people are having difficulty in a place that you didn't expect, so it's good (and interesting!) to scroll through this.

Definitely, it’s a really insightful feature. I kind of need to wait until more people play it though l.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 6, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Please, if you have time, give my silly level a try.

I kind of wish I put it as my Try Switch entry now :shobon:
It's also surprisingly easy once you realize I'm not asking much of you

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Salastine posted:

Visitors of all kinds come to this park, each will enjoy it differently.

Flooded Fen
ID: DGW-N36-X2G

(A level with two paths this time, nothing too special.)

Fun level. I enjoyed trying to hop across as many piranha plants as possible. I know you said there are multiple paths, but I stay out of the water when I can avoid it. You need to signal that there's something rewarding down there if you want me to venture into those watery depths.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I finally finished the level I've been working on the past couple of days and I'm really happy with how it's turned out - it's all about clear pipes!

The code is 27J-9NR-MQF:

This owns

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
What do people think is a "good" clear rate to tell you that you did a good job balancing? Obviously 0% is bad, and 100% is unrealistic since a significant percentage of Mario players appear to be in a coma. 40% seems too high, still. 10-20%? 20-30%? 30-40%? I'm talking normal levels here, ones designed at a Mario-esque difficulty.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

What started as an attempt to make a DKC ish level kinda turned into a big sprawling exploratory level and one of the most ambitious I've made.

Aerospace Antics S20-T8R-WSG

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

guppy posted:

What do people think is a "good" clear rate to tell you that you did a good job balancing? Obviously 0% is bad, and 100% is unrealistic since a significant percentage of Mario players appear to be in a coma. 40% seems too high, still. 10-20%? 20-30%? 30-40%? I'm talking normal levels here, ones designed at a Mario-esque difficulty.

I dunno, people like my Super Happy Fun Slide with a clear rate of 98ish percent.

Honestly, its what you're intended design is. Even later Mario levels can get incredibly difficult. If you want a level 8 difficulty, I would imagine a 10 percent level indicates its tough but doable.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

guppy posted:

Low 10s is challenging, 20 is kind of easy but you have to pay attention, anything higher is easy or a well designed puzzle level, anything lower is ballbusting and needs a rock solid concept to keep the player playing.

I try to aim from 10-25% with my levels, you can probably go as high as 40% for Mario-difficulty stuff, and you can definitely go lower than 10% (imagine the clear rate on tubular in this)

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

guppy posted:

40-25% i think is acceptable, skilled players can end the level with positive lives whereas unskilled might just lose 1 or 2 in the end, you also have to realize that the flaw with calculating it as a percentage means the difficulty is exponential or close to it, 20% means that the average person dies 4 times before succeeding, 10% means they died 9 times and so on. There's a pretty big difficulty difference in a course that kills you 5 times vs one that kills you 10

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Trying to do a blitz entry now... it feels really weird trying to make a course with powerups but no blocks to put them in.

Are we allowed to use parts for purely decorate purposes if they are in positions that have no impact on gameplay?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Plebian Parasite posted:

40-25% i think is acceptable, skilled players can end the level with positive lives whereas unskilled might just lose 1 or 2 in the end, you also have to realize that the flaw with calculating it as a percentage means the difficulty is exponential or close to it, 20% means that the average person dies 4 times before succeeding, 10% means they died 9 times and so on. There's a pretty big difficulty difference in a course that kills you 5 times vs one that kills you 10

I don't think this is true -- I think a person who clears a course in 1 life is counted the same as a person who clears it in 10 lives. It's just the percentage of players who finished it instead of giving up, I think.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

guppy posted:

I guess it depends on the experience that you want to provide. As long as a course is well designed and fun to play, I think there's a range of skill levels that could fit the bill. My two levels, which I've tried to design at a SMB3 skill level, are sitting at 26% and 43%, respectively, which I'm happy with. The second one is definitely on the easy side, but I think that it's satisfying to slide down icy hills and explore caverns, so I like the way it turned out. Tuning the difficulty is hard, and I ended up playing through my levels quite a few times and editing the challenges. One of my guiding principles is that if I (who designed the level and know exactly how the challenges unfold) get hit at all, then it might be too tough. I also provide a number of power-ups throughout the level so that people can get hit and still proceed. But I'm still figuring things out too.

On this topic, I have a question: On a stage's title screen, what exactly do the footsteps, clears, and attempts mean? For example, my easier level currently has 121 footsteps and a 93/215 clear ratio. How do I interpret this? Does this mean that 121 different people tried my level, 93 eventually succeeded in beating it, and there were a total of 215 attempts (i.e. 215 = Marios who died + Marios who made it to the end)?

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 6, 2019

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

DorianGravy posted:

On this topic, I have a question: On a stage's title screen, what exactly do the footsteps, clears, and attempts mean? For example, my easier level currently has 121 footsteps and a 93/215 clear ratio. How do I interpret this? Does this mean that 121 different people tried my level, 93 eventually succeeded in beating it, and there were a total of 215 attempts?

93 Clears
121 Players
215 Attempts at the level

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

J-Spot posted:

Finally done with my jam submission. This one took awhile to complete so I'd really appreciate if people would try it out and give feedback on it!

The Switching Hour
Course ID: L17-0V6-PYF
Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: No

With this one I had a few goals in mind. I really wanted to make a Yoshi level but had no ideas for him back in MM1, and I also wanted to try to crack the night theme ghost house which often tends to have frustrating levels. I came up with a mechanic for the switches that's a little different from their usual purposes and used it to augment all of the level beats. I really wanted to make something with the darkness gimmick that felt like something Nintendo might do in a NSMB level so I tried to adhere to the Mario level design principles outlined in the OP or in videos like the ones from Ceave or Game Maker's Toolkit. I'm hoping for a normal difficulty although there are some traps that may catch people off guard but I did my best to allow players to react and to prime them for what was coming.

Ooh, I really like the concept here, and the level does a nice sense of escalation. Would you mind if I took some inspiration from this and made a "hit switch for light" level of my own?

Doomykins posted:

Sanctuary of the Peaceful Bombs (YYQ-D3X-HRG) by Otters: This is a truly great map and a great set of original ideas. One of the best creative claw courses. Very long but that lends itself to the concept, this is a huge and good one to explore.
Oh, thank you! Glad you enjoyed it!

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

guppy posted:

I don't think this is true -- I think a person who clears a course in 1 life is counted the same as a person who clears it in 10 lives. It's just the percentage of players who finished it instead of giving up, I think.

People who try a few times and give up throw off the weight (as do speedrunners who try over and over again), certainly, but it's a measure of total successes over total attempts.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

guppy posted:

No the clear rate is literally number of completed runs at the course divided by number of attempts at the course, regardless of person. If you're the first person to clear a hard course and it takes 20 attempts the course will have a 5% clear rate.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I've just come to accept that most people are bad at Mario and clear % isn't a particularly valuable metric for evaluating the difficulty of your level beyond a certain point. None of my MM1 levels fell into the Super Expert range, and if they did, then I'd have known I hosed up, but I had a bunch of levels varying significantly in challenge with a 4-8% clear rate. The tutorial level I made where there was no way to die (except for timing out or going out of your way to force yourself into a contraption that bounced a shell back and forth through a 1-block gap) had a 60% clear rate.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Playing a few random levels and left a comment saying "We need more levels like this! I liked it a lot!" and was told that my post contained rude language and couldn't post it. What???

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

"We need more levels like this! I liked it a lot!"

Why do you support terrorism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Playing a few random levels and left a comment saying "We need more levels like this! I liked it a lot!" and was told that my post contained rude language and couldn't post it. What???

ban this sick filth