Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
And the weekend patch is out. Looks like it is dynamic temp for the water sieve after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I did discover what was crashing my game. Apparently if I destroy/deconstruct a pipe with a liquid/gas in it the game will crash pretty consistently. Beware of that I guess. Emptying it beforehand makes it not crash though so there's that.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 6, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Smiling Demon posted:

And the weekend patch is out. Looks like it is dynamic temp for the water sieve after all.
Lame

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I don’t have a problem conceptually with minimum output heat / heat addition, if it’s intended to model a minimum temperature for some process to occur. But the game needs to make it incredibly obvious to new players that feeding 25C polluted water into a water sieve is going to cook your base, otherwise it’s too hard to understand. At least the game needs an explicit warning in the sieve description (or a tutorial element), and really I think a warning light on the siege if it’s artificially heating input water wouldn’t go too far astray.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Smiling Demon posted:

I honestly don't know if this is a good design or not. As people said, the whole point of 40c water is specifically so you can't endlessly loop cool water over and over. Yeah, the sieve did end up being used as a minor steam turbine to delete heat, but it also functioned correctly: Cleaning your water, but leaving you with a result that is to hot to use in most cases.

Does this mean electrolyzers are variable output now too? So is the right response to forget about cooling air completely, and just feed it cool water in the first place?

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

User0015 posted:

I honestly don't know if this is a good design or not. As people said, the whole point of 40c water is specifically so you can't endlessly loop cool water over and over. Yeah, the sieve did end up being used as a minor steam turbine to delete heat, but it also functioned correctly: Cleaning your water, but leaving you with a result that is to hot to use in most cases.

Does this mean electrolyzers are variable output now too? So is the right response to forget about cooling air completely, and just feed it cool water in the first place?

Not sure about electrolyzers, I haven't played the patch yet but the stated goal was " to ensure that their output temperatures and temperature behaviors are consistent with the design and theme goals of each building, and generally consistent with the rest of the system."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Away all Goats posted:

Anyone have any experience running this on laptops? How well does it run compared to say, Rimworld or Factorio?

It's happy as a clam on my Macbook Pro, so...

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

User0015 posted:

I'm going 100% off what "feels" right, but adding like 10 degrees to the water every time it sieves just feels right to me. Static, arbitrary output has always felt janky no matter what direction. Just adding 10 degrees fits in with every other, "this is a solution, but it causes this other problem" design decision I've seen so far.

Especially with wheeze consuming fertilizer now.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
input_temp + x is best solution. The 'closed water loop' example is defeated by this as well.

It should make intuitive sense. Having weird heat deletion and addition is weird.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

What closed loop are you guys talking about? What's wrong with input temp == output temp?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Sillybones posted:

input_temp + x is best solution. The 'closed water loop' example is defeated by this as well.
Wouldn’t that greatly complicate bathrooms?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Self-cleaning bathrooms don't really produce enough extra water from toilets to actually generate that much heat. They might be a bit warmer than other rooms around them but if the rest of your base is a reasonable temperature you'll be fine as long as you don't put temperature sensitive farms net to them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

nrook posted:

I don’t have a problem conceptually with minimum output heat / heat addition, if it’s intended to model a minimum temperature for some process to occur. But the game needs to make it incredibly obvious to new players that feeding 25C polluted water into a water sieve is going to cook your base, otherwise it’s too hard to understand. At least the game needs an explicit warning in the sieve description (or a tutorial element), and really I think a warning light on the siege if it’s artificially heating input water wouldn’t go too far astray.
Yes, this. If something increases the heat of the input it should have a bright red background and have the temperature change emblazoned on it. +X for a +X degree increase and X+ (or >X) for a minimum floor.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm going 100% off what "feels" right, but adding like 10 degrees to the water every time it sieves just feels right to me. Static, arbitrary output has always felt janky no matter what direction. Just adding 10 degrees fits in with every other, "this is a solution, but it causes this other problem" design decision I've seen so far.

Especially with wheeze consuming fertilizer now.

Yeah I can see that. Another thing I saw mentioned is that it trivialized the rime map due to heat creation. So I guess it'll be fine either way.

I'm still partial too electrolyzers outputting hot gasses, because I like solving the hot air problem. I guess it depends on if they keep this change to just sieves or include it for electrolyzers or change them to current temp + x.

The final point I'll say is that when you cap the output, it's easier to handle because you can't do things like dump hot p water into it and cause a scalding steam explosion like you can with a metal refinery, which is it's own problem and something I definitely never accidentally do. But that gives a different 'feeling' to the refinery, almost like it's dangerous to use so be careful. Now you can send chilled p water into a sieve and get out ice in the most comical ice maker ever.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Alkydere posted:

Self-cleaning bathrooms don't really produce enough extra water from toilets to actually generate that much heat. They might be a bit warmer than other rooms around them but if the rest of your base is a reasonable temperature you'll be fine as long as you don't put temperature sensitive farms net to them.
I didn’t mean the bathroom itself, but the water that’s piped through it. If you add heat every “cycle”, eventually it’s going to get so hot it breaks the pipes. Or so I’d think.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I didn’t mean the bathroom itself, but the water that’s piped through it. If you add heat every “cycle”, eventually it’s going to get so hot it breaks the pipes. Or so I’d think.

And that's what I'm talking about. Yes the water is hot but it's not THAT hot and more importantly it's not that much water compared to the 200Kg wall tiles you've surrounded the room with. The bathroom and the sieve room will likely be a few C hotter than the surrounding area over 100 cycles (especially if you use an airlock door to trap the heat in the sieve room). If you've got enough cooling in other ways dealing with the heat is gonna be minor compared to just about any sort of non-renewable power system.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Question from a newbie - this is my first game, so I know full well that everything is inefficient -

How do I get rid of that water, short of destroying the floor and rebuilding?

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
You can tell them to mop it up. They'll put it in bottles which you can empty into a bottle emptier.

It needs to be less than a certain amount. I don't remember how much but if it's no longer running, you're almost certainly ok.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Adenoid Dan posted:

You can tell them to mop it up. They'll put it in bottles which you can empty into a bottle emptier.

It needs to be less than a certain amount. I don't remember how much but if it's no longer running, you're almost certainly ok.

Perfect, thank you!

fake edit: STOP MAKING MESSES IN THE COLONY'S WATER SUPPLY

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

fake edit: STOP MAKING MESSES IN THE COLONY'S WATER SUPPLY

It's a rite of passage. Happy first game!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Adenoid Dan posted:

ughhhh

To-do

- make two reservoirs that filter polluted water into water, somehow
- find a source of sand
- find more metal so I can get a water pump so we can get some showers running
- expand food supply

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Adenoid Dan posted:

The next one (arguably) is HOW DID YOU ALL GET FOOD POISONING!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hello Sailor posted:

The next one (arguably) is HOW DID YOU ALL GET FOOD POISONING!

They all started with food poisoning, I swear to god. The literal second we swapped from rations to our own asteroid-grown ground up bars, everyone got food poisoning, followed by slime lung. Everyone in my colony is constantly sick, oh well.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I have ~400 hours in the game and besides a couple food poisoning cases early on when I was still figuring out the optimal base setup, I haven't had a dupe get sick since.

StrixNebulosa, when setting up the dupe bathrooms, you want to have an equal number of wash basins as outhouses and ensure that the dupes only have one way out of the latrine, past the wash basins. The image below is my 31 cycle Rime base. I started with 2 wash basins and 2 outhouses, then deconstructed an outhouse (making sure the dirt inside had no germs), and built the 3+3.

StrixNebulosa posted:

They all started with food poisoning, I swear to god. The literal second we swapped from rations to our own asteroid-grown ground up bars, everyone got food poisoning, followed by slime lung. Everyone in my colony is constantly sick, oh well.

You also want to ensure there is nothing inside the bathroom that they can pick up (food, etc). You have enough time on the first cycle to dig the natural floor out and the next two tiles down then build a constructed floor. I just leave the polluted dirt and water where the dupes drop it and put deodorizers at the entrance.

If you absolutely need to, you can manually control the dupes to walk over a wash basin after using the outhouse, if they look like they're trying to grab something before doing so.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Also if/when you have an area free to use as a kitchen, give it a single entrance and have dupes wash their hands on the way in for an extra layer of protection.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Do dupes get food poisoning from eating raw food that’s grown in a farm tile? I mostly ignore food poisoning, but in the last few months it seems they only get it early in the game, when they’re picking stuff up off the ground.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
*Food* from the farm tile, no. Farm tiles will cause the of transfer germs to the duplicant just from carrying bottled polluted water full of germs to them, I would only use hydroponic tiles if you want to try this.

For me the most common source is food that originates from the bathroom itself, like muckroot I dig out after I decide where the bathroom will be. I once even had a pacu that somehow flopped its way into the bathroom and die be the source of food poisoning after some dupe thought that after using the toilet eating the dead pacu on the floor was a great idea.

If duplicants interact with a building covered with food poisoning they get food poisoning on them. This can be relevant if you use food poisoned water in either the super computer or metal refinery as these buildings strangely transfer the germs from the input fluid to the exterior. Hydroponic tiles as far as I know do not.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Food poisoning only occurs if the food or the duplicant eating it has food poisoning germs on them, the more germs the higher the chance. However there are some unexpected ways that they can get germs on them. If there are germs on a duplicant, a building or an input material then germs will be transferred to the other two as well as any output when the building gets used. The only exception is plants, germy fertiliser doesn't result in germy crops (but as Smiling Demon says can result in germy dupes which can result in germy crops.) Putting an item into a container/taking one out counts as using a building so check your ration box for germs if someone gets sick.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
Two sources of food poisoning other than food: the water cooler and the espresso machine. If the water in either of those has food poisoning, dupes drinking from them will be exposed. This is probably not what happened to you, but if you have a water cooler check the water in it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Smiling Demon posted:

Two sources of food poisoning other than food: the water cooler and the espresso machine. If the water in either of those has food poisoning, dupes drinking from them will be exposed. This is probably not what happened to you, but if you have a water cooler check the water in it.

I still feel the fricking espresso machine should be sterilizing the water. I suppose the outside could be contaminated when it's filled.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dire Lemming posted:

Also if/when you have an area free to use as a kitchen, give it a single entrance and have dupes wash their hands on the way in for an extra layer of protection.
I wish there was a "no entry without washing your hands" sign or something you could set up so you didn't need so many hand washers.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Is the new content fun right now, or should I wait a month or two to start playing with it?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

It's fabulous. The new Verdant biome in particular is way fun. Furthermore, learning a new path through the early turns is great; instead of toilets/electricity+oxygen/research/farming you have to figure out what you really should be doing. Apart from toilets. Always toilets.

Haven't tried the tougher biomes.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Arboria is a neat start, but you need to break out of the starting biome in order to access algae OR rust/salt for early oxygen.

Burning wood for power is not a great solution, even with a smart battery and logic conditions set. Access to coal also requires breaking through the Granite layer around the starting area, and it is pretty limited. Early Hatch ranching is probably indicated as a result.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

LonsomeSon posted:

Arboria is a neat start, but you need to break out of the starting biome in order to access algae OR rust/salt for early oxygen.

Burning wood for power is not a great solution, even with a smart battery and logic conditions set. Access to coal also requires breaking through the Granite layer around the starting area, and it is pretty limited. Early Hatch ranching is probably indicated as a result.

I've been using oxyfern, but I suppose it depends on your definition of early? I am not many cycles in.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've been using oxyfern, but I suppose it depends on your definition of early? I am not many cycles in.

Oxyfern requires too much water when domesticated, something the forest biome is short on. When wild you will never get enough oxyfern to support your duplicants, I think you need ~40 ferns to support 3.

The forest start gives nice benefits (arbor acorns, oxyfern, aluminum) but is definitely harder to get off the ground in my experience. I haven't tried forest starts other than arboria yet though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Smiling Demon posted:

Oxyfern requires too much water when domesticated, something the forest biome is short on. When wild you will never get enough oxyfern to support your duplicants, I think you need ~40 ferns to support 3.

The forest start gives nice benefits (arbor acorns, oxyfern, aluminum) but is definitely harder to get off the ground in my experience. I haven't tried forest starts other than arboria yet though.
I just love the peeps so much. *Sob*

Which biomes are you enjoying?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I'm also curious to hear people's takes on which of the map types are most fun to play on. Maps completely lacking something like gold seems annoying, since you have to deal with all of your machinery overheating at lower temperatures.

I don't restart as much as some people so I'm afraid of picking a bad map and having sub-optimal fun :ohdear:

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
Latest asteroid I've been playing is the badlands (metal rich - subsurface oceans - geodes). Badlands and metal rich together mean you are absolutely swimming in metals.

Refined iron (not iron ore) is common in the badlands meaning I haven't even built a rock granulator yet, let alone my standard metal refinery. The starting biome in the badlands is much larger than in most, making up for a lack of water. The subsurface ocean gives me a decent supply of salt water, the cold biomes a supply of ice. I got decent geysers for when these run out.

I'm short gold, algae, slime, and thimble reed seeds. I got a little bit of gold amalgam from a geode, but otherwise nothing. I can do without too much algae (the caustic biome and the starting biome have some). Slime isn't necessary. I will need to get my reed fiber from dreckos.

Originally I was lining my halls with iron instead of the standard gold... but I actually changed that to lead. I have plenty of copper which would be better from a decor standpoint, but as per above, haven't even built a rock granulator.

One thing I have to check, but think is true, is that the map is significantly larger in the badlands. It could be the massive quantities of rock creating an optical illusion, but it seems too big for that.

There is an absurd amount of granite on the map. I want to ranch stone hatches, but need to either crush some fossils or excavate a tide pool biome to get the sedimentary rock to start as I have not lucked out on the 2% chance to get a stone hatchling egg.

This is actually probably one of the easiest asteroids.

*as for the no-gold issue, I'll get steel soon enough which is better than gold amalgam for that purpose. Gold is nice for the decor, but it isn't hard to do without. Gold is needed for oxylite, but you can technically do without (or ranch dense pufts). The one place you can not substitute anything for gold is in making supercoolant, but that is incredibly lategame. The same applies to tungsten in making thermium if you have none of that on your map.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oxyfern for sure doesn't gently caress around, once you get it planted and irrigated, but I guess by early I mean initial machinery.