Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/1147559587043667969

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth.

They have "World" and "Story" games

Story games are more like an SMT/Pokemon. World is the traditional pet raising ones.

E: Also they use the same artist as Devil Survivor if you can't tell.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Cyber Sleuth and Hacker's Memory were really cool games. Glad to see them still around.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/1147559587043667969

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth.

They have "World" and "Story" games

Story games are more like an SMT/Pokemon. World is the traditional pet raising ones.

The confusing thing about this naming convention is that Digimon World 2 and 3 were very much SMT/Pokemon-style games, but good to know!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I couldn't get into Stardew Valley until I started playing it handheld and chilled out about not having the most optimal farm and ended up hooked. My only complaint is that by the time you get married the writing seemed like an afterthought, which is disappointing because I enjoyed it up until then. Your kid just comes out of nowhere with a prompt that's like "oh, by the way, your wife gave birth last night".

Seeing progress with the other villagers would have been nice too, but I know that's a lot of work for one dev. Pam and Penny getting their story updated in an update was nice, and it would have been cool to see that with everyone.

Jolene
Jan 1, 2019

Jarogue posted:

I believe Xseed, the people publishing the game in the west is still calling it Friends Of Mineral Town

Also Rune Factory is the true evolution of Harvest Moon when you use the fantasy stone on it. the was was a future stone but no one talks about that HM game.

Ah, yes. Innocent Life for the PSP. It's the one Harvest Moon spin off I haven't played yet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jolene posted:

Ah, yes. Innocent Life for the PSP. It's the one Harvest Moon spin off I haven't played yet.

It ended up with a ps2 port as well

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Policenaut posted:

Cyber Sleuth and Hacker's Memory were really cool games. Glad to see them still around.

Especially since base Cyber Sleuth was removed from PSN.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I feel like I really want a pro controller because the joy-con grip thing is just a little bit too small. Unfortunately it seems stupidly expensive for a controller.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I really enjoy Stardew but it does miss that odd charm that HM has. If they modernize the controls and mechanics in the FOMT remake then it’ll definitely overtake it as my preferred farm game.

wdarkk posted:

I feel like I really want a pro controller because the joy-con grip thing is just a little bit too small. Unfortunately it seems stupidly expensive for a controller.

It’s been frequently on sale for like 50-55 bucks lately. Just keep your eyes open.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm going to get a switch hopefully soon if I can get a relatively cheap one in SA-Mart, what switch-exclusive games are must-buys? I've ordered BOTW, mario odyssey and smash ultimate, and will probably get buying Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, cadence of hyrule, and maybe mario kart 8. Is xenoblade chronicles 2 okay if I've never played any of the other(s)? Is there any way to get xenoblade chronicles 1 on switch yet? Any digital exclusive must-buys, too?

I'm sure it's well known in this thread already, but I was directed to Gamestop's site because used games are buy two get one free and there's also a discount code ( 3887001030953 ) that deducts a further 20% off. It led to a fairly ridiculously good deal, and I'll probably use it again to get bayo etc

Coxswain Balls posted:

I couldn't get into Stardew Valley until I started playing it handheld and chilled out about not having the most optimal farm and ended up hooked. My only complaint is that by the time you get married the writing seemed like an afterthought, which is disappointing because I enjoyed it up until then. Your kid just comes out of nowhere with a prompt that's like "oh, by the way, your wife gave birth last night".

Seeing progress with the other villagers would have been nice too, but I know that's a lot of work for one dev. Pam and Penny getting their story updated in an update was nice, and it would have been cool to see that with everyone.
the PC version is superior simply for the moddability. I added a bunch of stuff and it dramatically increased the amount of things to do, quality of life stuff, a mod to add a speed up/slow down/stop time button, and...decent story additions. Some garbage story additions too. They're going to add a bunch of new NPCs too, I think the latest update to Stardew Expanded added a handful.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 6, 2019

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

wdarkk posted:

It’s great for switch but also poo poo in general and when compared to major competitors offerings. As another poster said, get it on sale, be it Walmart or some other deal. I paid 49.99 and that was almost too much for it but ok.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the d pad is poop though, which is annoying when the rest works so nicely :argh:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

the PC version is superior simply for the moddability.

Clearly incorrect because you cannot play the PC version in handheld mode.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm going to get a switch hopefully soon if I can get a relatively cheap one in SA-Mart, what switch-exclusive games are must-buys? I've ordered BOTW, mario odyssey and smash ultimate, and will probably get buying Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, cadence of hyrule, and maybe mario kart 8. Is xenoblade chronicles 2 okay if I've never played any of the other(s)? Is there any way to get xenoblade chronicles 1 on switch yet? Any digital exclusive must-buys, too?

I'm sure it's well known in this thread already, but I was directed to Gamestop's site because used games are buy two get one free and there's also a discount code ( 3887001030953 ) that deducts a further 20% off. It led to a fairly ridiculously good deal, and I'll probably use it again to get bayo etc

Super Mario Maker 2 is essential. Also just FYI if you get Bayo 2 new it includes a download code for Bayo 1, if you get it used you’re probably not gonna get that.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Dehry posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love everything about DeDu1/2. I'm just glad we didn't get any of Io's... distinct qualities in Digimon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Super Mario Maker 2 is essential. Also just FYI if you get Bayo 2 new it includes a download code for Bayo 1, if you get it used you’re probably not gonna get that.
I have bayo 1 on PC(it's also 5 bucks right now, hah) so that's not a big issue. I will probably get Mario Maker 2, but I'm not really interested in making levels, nor kaizo levels, so I'll probably hold off on it a bit.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bulgakov posted:

the d pad is poop though, which is annoying when the rest works so nicely :argh:

Speaking of this, what’s the recommended dpad mod these days? Anything better than the tape fix?

acems
May 8, 2019

Jarogue posted:

I believe Xseed, the people publishing the game in the west is still calling it Friends Of Mineral Town

Also Rune Factory is the true evolution of Harvest Moon when you use the fantasy stone on it. the was was a future stone but no one talks about that HM game.

Rune Factory always seemed cool, but combat in games like that didn’t “click” for me until SV. How does RF’s stack up?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Just watched the trailer for the FOMT remake and holy poo poo does that look bland. The character portraits look worse too.

I’ll still give it a go if the mechanics are improved.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
My personal take was that SV probably had better mechanics but the characters in the town didn't feel as charming as the ones in a given HM which given that you'll be seeing them for the entire game kinda makes it feel a bit more lifeless.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

My personal take was that SV probably had better mechanics but the characters in the town didn't feel as charming as the ones in a given HM which given that you'll be seeing them for the entire game kinda makes it feel a bit more lifeless.

I also appreciate the weirdness of HM more. I love all the odd secrets and supernatural poo poo.

https://twitter.com/ntagonistic/status/1146054280694157318?s=21
A good Twitter thread on some of it

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

whaley posted:

looks nothing like outset island

New thread title.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
That's totally outset island.

Source: I have no idea what the controversy is or what you nerds are fighting over but I DID look at the comparison with my working eyes

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's Donkey Kong Island

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

That's totally outset island.

Source: I have no idea what the controversy is or what you nerds are fighting over but I DID look at the comparison with my working eyes

The controversy is some bored Zelda fans are trying to connect ransom Zelda titles

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
^ It's Nintendo's fault for making that an official thing. Someone needs to explain why they thought unifying every Zelda under one timeline was a good thing.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Just watched the trailer for the FOMT remake and holy poo poo does that look bland. The character portraits look worse too.

I’ll still give it a go if the mechanics are improved.

Surprised they didn't just HD-ify the PSX/N64 one and call it a day. :effort:

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

CharlestheHammer posted:

The controversy is some bored Zelda fans are trying to connect ransom Zelda titles

Don't most instances of Ganon ransom Zelda?

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

acems posted:

Rune Factory always seemed cool, but combat in games like that didn’t “click” for me until SV. How does RF’s stack up?

Haven't played SV but in RF combat it does get better in later games. The combat itself is all about what weapon type you to use like fast swords or hard hitting axes. You can also tame and bring monsters with you. I remember using the wolf, orcs and and ghost a lot.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Bleck posted:

as a consummate Harvest Moon fan, Stardew Valley failed to grab me because I was about two hours in and still hadn't grown any crops

like they kind of designed the game to throw all this periphery stuff at the player from the outset but forgot to let me, like, Farm Things

I don't need to know some character's dad backstory or whatever I just want to grOW some goD drat TURNIPS

Look at this parsnip hater

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mister Facetious posted:

Surprised they didn't just HD-ify the PSX/N64 one and call it a day. :effort:

I think I would have preferred that.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Stardew valley is cool got a quick play through or two but what I don’t get is how people have hundreds of hours in it. What is you doing girl?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shammypants posted:

Stardew valley is cool got a quick play through or two but what I don’t get is how people have hundreds of hours in it. What is you doing girl?

you get bored of your current farm, already perfect and finished but you still have to burn three seasons. because there's nothing really weird or interesting or secret to find like in a real harvest moon game, you restart back when it's challenging and exciting and your days end on a margin of seconds

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I bought the Shantae game, and it’s gorgeous and fun and also I want to check out the older Shantae games now. She’s rad as hell.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/ntagonistic/status/1146113283084247043?s=19
https://twitter.com/ntagonistic/status/1146124134889529346?s=19

https://twitter.com/ntagonistic/status/1146130654612152320?s=19

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I just had Sonic Team Racing and Crash Team Racing come in at the same time from the library.

Man... I am not a fan of either of these games. Just give me Mario Kart 9 please.

Sonic was just kind of generic. Team Racing aspect was kind of intriguing, but not really digging the game.

Crash's load times were killing me, and I was finding it to be a bit too difficult on medium. in the second stage in story mode, I played it for an hour to pass it on first place. It wasn't until I played the level perfectly, doing the turbo boost exactly wehre the computer was, wasn't hit with an item, and managed to get lucky items on my part, that I was able to win. that just seemed very tedious and made me not want to continue playing that game either.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Diddy Kong Racing or bust

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

mekyabetsu posted:

I bought the Shantae game, and it’s gorgeous and fun and also I want to check out the older Shantae games now. She’s rad as hell.

Shantae is bae

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want a Harvest Moon rep in Smash.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Having a lot of fun with RE4. It’s neat to learn new tricks like how you can go a little bit back in time by shooting Ashley with a rocket launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I want a Harvest Moon rep in Smash.

if we're being real the villager basically counts