Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Rollersnake posted:

Why do you support terrorism?

I would not be surprised if that's literally what it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Playing a few random levels and left a comment saying "We need more levels like this! I liked it a lot!" and was told that my post contained rude language and couldn't post it. What???

Shame on you for taking about genitalia on a children's game

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

In hindsight, I realized my first level was actually terrible and kind of un-fun difficult. I hope I've rectified this with the new one. Tried to do a kinda Sonic CD style past/future versions of the world thing. It's not too long and I don't think is particularly difficult, but I had a good time making it. Hopefully you'll have a good time playing it or tell me why I suck and should never do this again, either or.

[Deleted, reuploading in a few]

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 6, 2019

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Playing a few random levels and left a comment saying "We need more levels like this! I liked it a lot!" and was told that my post contained rude language and couldn't post it. What???

Need implies that our glorious leaders at Nintendo hasn't provided us enough, which means you are being very critical of Nintendo and its policies. For shame, ThisIsACoolGuy that you would imply such a scurrilous accusation, you're luckily your account wasn't banned.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

:hfive:

The 3D World set is cool but like people have said it really does start to feel limited once you actually use it. I hope they patch it at some point to add some of the items from the other sets/some more visual flair

It'd also be cool to see the double cherry power up but maybe it would end up in a trainwreck where every 3D World level has 8 Marios

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

:hfive:

The 3D World set is cool but like people have said it really does start to feel limited once you actually use it. I hope they patch it at some point to add some of the items from the other sets/some more visual flair

It'd also be cool to see the double cherry power up but maybe it would end up in a trainwreck where every 3D World level has 8 Marios

I'd be using the 3d land stuff more if it simply had branching clear pipes which is what i thought it might originally have

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

I finally finished the level I've been working on the past couple of days and I'm really happy with how it's turned out - it's all about clear pipes!

The code is 27J-9NR-MQF:

This level was excellent, highly recommended to anyone who hasn't tried it. Clear pipes are definitely one of the coolest things about 3D World.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Simple course where a Rotten Mushroom chases Mario.

Get Coins; Crush Shroom

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Made a level I'm really interested in feedback on!

Keys of the Lilliput River: 80P-BQ4-B1G

Wondering if I pulled off this concept well or if it was just annoying.

This was a well done level, thanks for making it. You were smart to put a check point right before the key collection. The visual design is really smart, and you're right before the cusp of having too many elements. I liked the fishing poles and the boat. There were a few problem areas with enemy density (in particular around the key coins), but that's hard to design for when you have a level that explores both directions.

Would definitely be interested in checking out more of this nature!

Also, another goon recommendation while I'm at it: Koopa Harbour - 4S2-GQT-FYG

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Vegastar posted:

In hindsight, I realized my first level was actually terrible and kind of un-fun difficult. I hope I've rectified this with the new one. Tried to do a kinda Sonic CD style past/future versions of the world thing. It's not too long and I don't think is particularly difficult, but I had a good time making it. Hopefully you'll have a good time playing it or tell me why I suck and should never do this again, either or.

0XC-100-02H

Neat level, and I liked the past/future idea. A question about the theme, though: was the sinister timeline the past or the future? Initially I thought it was supposed to be the future, but in your first challenge, Mario destroys a wall there and then it's destroyed in the nice timeline. So I guess the sinister area is the past? My only other comment is that the room with the hammer brothers isn't very interesting. With the fire flower, they aren't much of a threat. All in all, though, fun level.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Coo, coo.

(They are called courses, not levels. Please comment better next time.)

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

Neat level, and I liked the past/future idea. A question about the theme, though: was the sinister timeline the past or the future? Initially I thought it was supposed to be the future, but in your first challenge, Mario destroys a wall there and then it's destroyed in the nice timeline. So I guess the sinister area is the past? My only other comment is that the room with the hammer brothers isn't very interesting. With the fire flower, they aren't much of a threat. All in all, though, fun level.

I'm not actually sure myself, now that you mention it. I suppose the desert would have been the part that you're traveling back to in order to get to Bowser Jr. in the present/future forest, but I probably didn't plan it out quite as well as I should have in hindsight, because that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I might re-work that at some point.

As for the hammer bros, I initially went with just a mushroom in the previous room, but then the gamut of hammer bros -> Bowser jr. seemed like it might be too tough and trashed the mushroom, put the flower there and figured if you keep it you get an advantage on Bowser jr. Might have overcorrected on that one.

Either way, glad you liked it.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Help Im Alive posted:

I finally finished the level I've been working on the past couple of days and I'm really happy with how it's turned out - it's all about clear pipes!

The code is 27J-9NR-MQF:

Very cool. Someone try to beat my world record!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Bowser will stop at nothing to get Mario, even if it means helping the plumber destroy his own castle in:

Demolition Mission
JVG-9QG-RYF

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Heyyyyyy gonna be streaming some SA levels here:

https://www.youtube.com/zfleeman/live

and here:

http://twitch.tv/zfleeman

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I made a course that was both about Yoshi's secret projectile abilities and about bombing through walls. I'm not sure it pieces together as well as I'd like, but here is "Deep Deep Dino Dig": 4V3-4FK-T6G

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Blitz question: for allowed enemies can we apply modifiers like parachutes and wings?

Yes, you're allowed to use any of the modifiers on any of the objects.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

zfleeman posted:

and here:

Plz play mine B15-NHP-2KG

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I wasn't allowed to save a stage until I removed "like" from the title, I'm guessing it's a banned word to keep people from begging for likes

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

zfleeman posted:

and here:

If you want something more easy-going, here's one of mine: Snowpeak Descent, L72-QWS-2JG.

Edit: Or, since you said you like airship levels: Infiltrate Bowser's Airship: H0T-H7J-XSG.

Edit 2: Thanks for playing, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's interesting to watch someone else play your level, and it's a little stressful to see if the level is going to work the way you want.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 6, 2019

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There's a hammer Mario. Why the gently caress is there no Donkey Kong?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ok! Got a couple of levels!!!

https://twitter.com/BorlandCorp/status/1147592857936515073?s=19
https://twitter.com/BorlandCorp/status/1147593839714000896?s=19
https://twitter.com/BorlandCorp/status/1147594731745992704?s=19
Mario Ragnarok - DNV 06J 5NG

This was really fun to make. Just a bunch of set pieces from Ragnarok which is my favorite Marvel film

Next- My Blitz Entry!!
https://twitter.com/BorlandCorp/status/1147595248329056257?s=19
A.M.P - Arctic Mole ParaPatrol - B34 HCV G4G
Short to medium length where I did some fun things with dark underwater, creating a glacier in a forest river, and moles who dive down to chase you. Took me about an hour, very fun to work with the limited toolset.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

SelenicMartian posted:

There's a hammer Mario. Why the gently caress is there no Donkey Kong?

DLC for DKCR theme :pray:

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Good Sphere posted:

Very cool. Someone try to beat my world record!

Ask and ye shall recieve

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Last Visible Dog posted:

Ooh, I really like the concept here, and the level does a nice sense of escalation. Would you mind if I took some inspiration from this and made a "hit switch for light" level of my own?

Thanks for playing. Yeah, go for it!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Vegastar posted:

I deleted this and reuploaded it with a (hopefully) more obvious past/present theme, a better name and a couple small room tweaks that were bugging me after I committed.

Let's try again

Tubular Time Machine
SN1-C31-HRF

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Danger and glory await those who brave the Mountain of Doom!

SLS-9B8-42G

The levels I've done so far have been flat and pretty straightforward, so I wanted to try something with a little more verticality and moving between multiple sub-areas.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DarkLich posted:

This was a well done level, thanks for making it. You were smart to put a check point right before the key collection. The visual design is really smart, and you're right before the cusp of having too many elements. I liked the fishing poles and the boat. There were a few problem areas with enemy density (in particular around the key coins), but that's hard to design for when you have a level that explores both directions.

Would definitely be interested in checking out more of this nature!

Also, another goon recommendation while I'm at it: Koopa Harbour - 4S2-GQT-FYG

Aww, thank you! I was worried I didn't execute the concept well but I'm glad you enjoyed it. You're right about enemy density; I always put in too much. I need to learn that less can be more usually.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Danger and glory await those who brave the Mountain of Doom!

SLS-9B8-42G

The levels I've done so far have been flat and pretty straightforward, so I wanted to try something with a little more verticality and moving between multiple sub-areas.

First clear sorted. I gotta say all you guys making normal-rear end levels makes me real self-conscious about my kaizo garbage.

This was a pretty good level. It felt very natural all the way through, mushrooms at regular and useful intervals, coins where they should be, the whole package.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy
I just got done making another level, let me know what you think. This one was an attempt to make a story level with a small bit of puzzle solving.

Defeat Mr. Mole's Army: 6Y8-6MH-MQG

Mr. Mole and his army of Molecenaries are on their way to cause trouble in the Mushroom Kingdom, with some help from within take out Mr. Mole and his army to save the Mushroom Kingdom (man I wish entering the description in Mario Maker allowed you more than 75 characters)

Dbhjed fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 7, 2019

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Chomping Gardens
NL9-PD4-6XF

A dog park for Chain Chomps. Will Mario find a new friend to adopt? Be careful playing in their pens!

I feel self conscious adding Yoshi so late even if it is fitting. I guess my next building technique should be slightly more complicated levels that benefit from more advanced power ups.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

zfleeman posted:

and here:

Thanks for streaming my level. Sorry to cut out after, but I was having a lot of issues with the stream dropping. I really only caught about a third of what you were saying.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

J-Spot posted:

Finally done with my jam submission. This one took awhile to complete so I'd really appreciate if people would try it out and give feedback on it!

The Switching Hour
Course ID: L17-0V6-PYF
Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: No

With this one I had a few goals in mind. I really wanted to make a Yoshi level but had no ideas for him back in MM1, and I also wanted to try to crack the night theme ghost house which often tends to have frustrating levels. I came up with a mechanic for the switches that's a little different from their usual purposes and used it to augment all of the level beats. I really wanted to make something with the darkness gimmick that felt like something Nintendo might do in a NSMB level so I tried to adhere to the Mario level design principles outlined in the OP or in videos like the ones from Ceave or Game Maker's Toolkit. I'm hoping for a normal difficulty although there are some traps that may catch people off guard but I did my best to allow players to react and to prime them for what was coming.

I felt like it didn't really use the switches - the light-emitter could just as easily have been ? blocks or anything else. I was a little disappointed, because there's a lot of neat things switches can do with light, but here it felt like they were solely used as infinite-durability blocks so people could hit them as many times as they needed.

Help Im Alive posted:

The code is 27J-9NR-MQF:

Many others have recommended this, and I'm going to do the same. It's a great use of clear pipes!

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Internet Kraken posted:

Trying to do a blitz entry now... it feels really weird trying to make a course with powerups but no blocks to put them in.

Are we allowed to use parts for purely decorate purposes if they are in positions that have no impact on gameplay?

My solution was to surround a mushroom on 3 sides by ice blocks then put a snake block in the remaining end. Jump on the snake to move it, mushroom falls out. Diagram here:

[ ice ][ ice ][ ice ]
[ ice ]:shroom: [:):):):)]
[ ice ][ ice ][ ice ]

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

dudeness posted:

My solution was to surround a mushroom on 3 sides by ice blocks then put a snake block in the remaining end. Jump on the snake to move it, mushroom falls out. Diagram here:

[ ice ][ ice ][ ice ]
[ ice ]:shroom: [:):):):)]
[ ice ][ ice ][ ice ]

Wow, I just used pipes!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Next- My Blitz Entry!!
https://twitter.com/BorlandCorp/status/1147595248329056257?s=19
A.M.P - Arctic Mole ParaPatrol - B34 HCV G4G
Short to medium length where I did some fun things with dark underwater, creating a glacier in a forest river, and moles who dive down to chase you. Took me about an hour, very fun to work with the limited toolset.

A level that deserves much more than a sub-zero score (okay, I'm really stretching the ice stuff now). I liked the way the snake was used as a guide through the maze.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just had free standing shrooms

[Ice] :shroom: [Ice]
[Ice] [ice] [ice]

Just jump down there and pick it up

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 6, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Random Stranger posted:

A level that deserves much more than a sub-zero score (okay, I'm really stretching the ice stuff now). I liked the way the snake was used as a guide through the maze.

Thanks!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Dbhjed posted:

I just got done making another level, let me know what you think. This one was an attempt to make a story level with a small bit of puzzle solving.

Defeat Mr. Mole's Army: LR8-K10-6NG

Mr. Mole and his army of Molecenaries are on their way to cause trouble in the Mushroom Kingdom, with some help from within take out Mr. Mole and his army to save the Mushroom Kingdom (man I wish entering the description in Mario Maker allowed you more than 75 characters)

I liked the level, but I missed one of the red coins and since it was an auto scroll stage, I couldn't go back. So I was just stuck at a locked door and had to restart.

In autoscroll stages its probably best for collectables to be used for bonuses/secrets, but not mandatory for progress. Otherwise I liked it and I took those mole sons of bitches down

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'd like to know how this first puzzle on this course goes for somebody who's not me! Fair warning.... it involves bob-ombs and haunted theme

Romance of the Three Bob-ombs: B9F-6R5-69G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks to zfleeman I got to see my level played by someone other then me and I see flaws. Do I have to pull a level in order to make changes to it? There are two trials in my last upload that need tweaking