Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Okay, this is getting weird and into personal attack territory. Can we cool it, please? All I did was criticize one individual aspect of the game, none of this is really warranted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Caidin posted:

Okay I played this like maybe a year or 2 ago and I'm kinda lost as to everything, I got to level 28 as an arcanist and burnt clean out from trying to do like half a dozen crafting jobs simultaneously for some reason that escapes me now, and I really don't want to restart because I remember things being rather slow going. So my question is there a place to catch up on the plot somewhere because I have no idea and how do you use Carbuncle properly because they seems pretty drat puny.

go to your inn room and click the unending journey

summoner got changed and egis are a lot less fire and forget now. check out the 5.0 patch notes or watch a vid

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Nodosaur posted:

Okay, this is getting weird and into personal attack territory. Can we cool it, please? All I did was criticize one individual aspect of the game, none of this is really warranted.

Shut up.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Fun Times! posted:

Okay, so is the leveling process really quick per class? It seems most people level many classes to max. How long does it take?

Your first class will take a while to level through the story, but all combat classes that are lower level than your highest get a substantial bonus to EXP.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

you are acting like the weirdest person in this thread, hth

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Fun Times! posted:

Okay, so is the leveling process really quick per class? It seems most people level many classes to max. How long does it take?

Each job is equivalent to a character in WoW. You can just do them all on the same character.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

somepartsareme posted:

you are acting like the weirdest person in this thread, hth

The longer it keeps getting brought up the worse it's going to get.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Astroniomix posted:

pretty much

you have someone who felt uncomfortable about a thing and posted about it in a round robin argument about the thing because they aren't engaging with any of the rest of the story and everyone else has made up their mind. Either they finish the game and decide then or they don't, either way there's no discussion to be had here until something changes.

The only thing that has the potential to change anyone's mind is for them to finish the game and decide after getting all context and imagery whether it's still offensive or not. At that point they can make a more cogent argument that might sway people, but we're at a standstill until that happens.

Also, diegetic excuses aren't a defense in and of themselves. They can add context to an argument, but they can't be the argument. The example of Vauthry being fat because of X fact in the story isn't a defense, but it can be used as context for the argument for what he represents in the game, i.e. the decadence of the wealthy and extreme wealth inequality, because at that point we're getting into what the author intended rather than just strictly what they wrote.

Had to explain that poo poo so many times when the goblin slayer thing was big.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 7, 2019

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

can we go back to arguing about the final zone please, here I'll even start:

small brain: this city in the ocean populated exclusively by monsters and memories of people who died in an age long past is an obvious reference to zanarkand
galaxy brain: this city in the ocean populated exclusively by monsters and phantoms of people laid low by their own hubris is an obvious reference to rapture

personally speaking I got way more rapture vibes from amaurot, I love FFX but zanarkand didn't even ping on my radar until I saw somebody else bring it up. I mean just look at all the art deco down there, wow!

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Solovey posted:

can we go back to arguing about the final zone please, here I'll even start:

small brain: this city in the ocean populated exclusively by monsters and memories of people who died in an age long past is an obvious reference to zanarkand
galaxy brain: this city in the ocean populated exclusively by monsters and phantoms of people laid low by their own hubris is an obvious reference to rapture

personally speaking I got way more rapture vibes from amaurot, I love FFX but zanarkand didn't even ping on my radar until I saw somebody else bring it up. I mean just look at all the art deco down there, wow!

It felt like a reverse Rapture situation, mainly because Rapture was a libertarian paradise and Amaurot was communist as hell. It also wasn't hubris that caused Amaurot to fall, it was fear.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I finished all the original MSQs from 2.0 and was excited to starts HW since I heard they're good, but it turns out there are literally 100 more quests to do before I get to HW.

:smith:

Can't wait to jump back in to "teleport to X, call chocobo, ride for 20 seconds, exchange four lines of dialog with NPC, pick up a turtle shell or a bowl of oranges or whatever, teleport to Y, call chocobo, ride for 40 seconds, hand over item, repeat" for probably 2/3 of those at minimum.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

The Berzerker posted:

I finished all the original MSQs from 2.0 and was excited to starts HW since I heard they're good, but it turns out there are literally 100 more quests to do before I get to HW.

:smith:

Can't wait to jump back in to "teleport to X, call chocobo, ride for 20 seconds, exchange four lines of dialog with NPC, pick up a turtle shell or a bowl of oranges or whatever, teleport to Y, call chocobo, ride for 40 seconds, hand over item, repeat" for probably 2/3 of those at minimum.

This may be small comfort to you, but everything you're about to experience is a relic of bygone days before they figured out and later perfected story progression.

2.0 in general had some growing pains as far as scenario writing is concerned, but starting from HW and for literally everything onwards they do a much better job in, well, everything. The pacing is better, the writing is better, the characters are better, even the voice acting is better. It's just a bit of a slog to get there.

It's still important, though! Things that happen exactly where you are will come into play much later, even multiple expansions later sometimes. Stick with it as best you can.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Minrad posted:

as a fat person i see a lot of myself in the character that throws tantrums, eats, looks like a baby, poops his diaper, and posts on something awful. and it's sickening. physical illness overtakes me

This feels really pointlessly vitriolic and cruel for no reason-- I don't know what anybody in this thread said that could really warrant this, or what you get out of it, so I'm just going to drop it.

edit: like look come on multiple people in here have mentioned personal issues with eating disorders and weight, this is a low blow and actually profoundly lovely

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 7, 2019

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Also all the voice actors change, which was really jarring to hear the first time.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Can't we just go back to arguing over Fordola vs. Yotsuyu again?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

you have someone who felt uncomfortable about a thing and posted about it in a round robin argument about the thing because they aren't engaging with any of the rest of the story and everyone else has made up their mind.

I never said that I wasn't going to engage with the rest of it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Astroniomix posted:

this is an extremely weird thing to say.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

They're both cool but Fordola is clearly better. There's not much to argue.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

One is angry all the time and one is smug most of the time and if either one wanted to step on me I'd consider it

I'm not sure what we're arguing about, actually

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Fordola's new life of being kept imprisoned and only trotted out to put down primals sounds frankly shittier than what happened to Yotsuyu, so I'm not sure death was the worst possible outcome there. At least she has a sorta-boyfriend now?

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It felt like a reverse Rapture situation, mainly because Rapture was a libertarian paradise and Amaurot was communist as hell. It also wasn't hubris that caused Amaurot to fall, it was fear.

I definitely agree with you there, but at the same time, the way most of the Amaurotine NPCs were so devil-may-care about their (by our reckoning) extremely powerful creation magic, not to mention their faith that such institutions as the council of 14 and the Akadaemia Anyder would never ever fail, seemed kind of hubris-y to me!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think the Rapture comparison is wrong because Rapture was based on libertarian ideals that are ultimately selfish as hell. Amaurot was communist and genuinely based in compassion and community, it just feels like their society was... extremely naive. They genuinely wanted to help others, they just... they didn't really understand the consequences of their actions because they saw everything from the perspectivee of being an indestructible giant with limitless mana and the power of creation.

Hence you have buildings filled with dangerous specimens and no real containment plans because haha, what are they going to do, hurt someone? It is to laugh! They were so naturally overprepared for any ordinary crisis that when they faced an extraordinary crisis most of them just panicked and sent things into a tailspin, whether there was an outside stimulus or not.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I picked this game up on a whim a couple weeks ago (like a week before Shadowbringers dropped and changed a bunch of stuff, great timing for trying to learn a new game). Seems like a mixed bag overall, but definitely has some promise.

So far, the good:
- the job system is a godsend for an inveterate altoholic like me. Or it's the work of Satan, I can't quite decide. At least the boost for lower-level jobs seems pretty hefty, especially in dungeons where I'm getting like 3-4 levels per run.
- the crafting system is... well, more interesting than WoW at least. Not sure how it holds up in the long term, but it's cool being able to make useful starter gear for other jobs relatively easily, and I dig having a bunch of skills that let you modify the process for when you really want to make one exquisitely crafted item. Trying to keep up with everything seems like a recipe for disaster though.
- the social aspects seem really good. People aren't dicks in groups, and being able to nominate one person per dungeon for a commendation is really cool, though I'm not sure what impact that actually has.
- big fan of Final Fantasy music and general aesthetic. The overall atmosphere is exactly what I was hoping for.

The bad:
- combat is kinda meh. At least up to level 25 or so, you've only got a two or three button rotation and very few utility skills. Plus skill activation and general game world interaction feels really laggy and disconnected.
- choosing a data center in your region and being told you can't make a character on any of the servers is loving inexcusable in 2019. Even more so if it doesn't actually tell you that until you go through the entire process of designing a new character.
- documentation on basic game concepts is a real crapshoot. They have this great in-game system that explains like 60% of the material but then I'm left guessing what the difference is between a "dungeon" and a "trial", with no apparent explanation either in-game or on the web site database. Just a basic dictionary or wiki that's actually fleshed out would be a huge help.
- quests:

The Berzerker posted:

"teleport to X, call chocobo, ride for 20 seconds, exchange four lines of dialog with NPC, pick up a turtle shell or a bowl of oranges or whatever, teleport to Y, call chocobo, ride for 40 seconds, hand over item, repeat" for probably 2/3 of those at minimum.
Holy gently caress, this. I got one quest that was literally "go pick up a crate that's 20 feet from the quest giver" and I was convinced it was going to be a joke or something, but no, that was a completely straight-faced quest activity. Very pleased to hear that it allegedly gets better later on.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
to the PBC member who idles in front of the marketboard in the mist all the time: our FC collectively knows you as the cat thot

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

somepartsareme posted:

to the PBC member who idles in front of the marketboard in the mist all the time: our FC collectively knows you as the cat thot

Wow rude much?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

- choosing a data center in your region and being told you can't make a character on any of the servers is loving inexcusable in 2019. Even more so if it doesn't actually tell you that until you go through the entire process of designing a new character.

This is a consequence of the game being the most popular it has ever been on the release of a massively hyped up expansion. They split they data centers into 3 (from 2) a few months before the expansion, including multiple new servers on Crystal, and everything still filled up to capacity.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Fordola's new life of being kept imprisoned and only trotted out to put down primals sounds frankly shittier than what happened to Yotsuyu, so I'm not sure death was the worst possible outcome there. At least she has a sorta-boyfriend now?

SMN L80 Yeah, that seemed pretty hosed up. Those conditions seemed pretty miserable.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

crafting holds up pretty well in the long term. the main issue, I think, is that there's no real reason not to do all of them (as opposed to eg. WoW limiting you to two), so it's tough to go with the fantasy of "I'll be a master cook!" or whatever - someone who leveled and geared every one of them, a so-called "omnicrafter," is gonna do better. grain of salt: I haven't leveled crafting past 70 since the expansion, so maybe they tweaked something I don't know about.

combat is absolutely dull at low levels - don't think anyone could disagree. if it's any consolation, the game is intentionally designed to be Baby's First MMO and everything before level 50 is a glorified tutorial. this gets grating when you have any experience in mmos before, but come heavensward or so you'll have to start doing mechanics et cetera. this segues into what's really great: as the devs got better at designing fights towards the end of 2.x, they started consolidating the visual language of mechanics. if and when you get up to higher levels, you'll find that you can immediately figure out many things you've never seen before because there's a concrete vocabulary that does a good job of communicating things. I last raided in the first half of cataclysm in wow and seeing, eg. the fire parasites spawning on magmaw is like looking at a pile of poo poo compared to the most complex mechanic in savage raids.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Solovey posted:

Alternative take, this thing where any event in fiction must be reduced to a reference to one and only one specific previous thing is needlessly reductive and not very useful?

Endgame zone spoiler: I'm sure that the decision to have Emet restore the ASCIImans' home from their ruined state in as a dreamland was a nod to FF10, but it's also entirely in keeping with his goals and personality and an excellent story beat. His entire existence is dedicated to restoring the star as it was, and drat the cost both to himself and these mayflies who squat in the ruins of his people. He restores Amaurot for a number of reasons: to explain to the wol of the enormity of the loss, to convince the wol to support the rejoining, as a show of power, as a living memory. Mostly it's an exercise in personal nostalgia, surrounding himself with the familiar and reminding himself of what he's fighting for. I think the execution is lacking somewhat as the pacing slows down a little too much, but conceptually it's loving great even without FF10 existing. Hardly an idle reference.

If you want an inspiration for the design, Amaurot is literally named after the capital of Thomas More's Utopia. A lot of the social structure are direct lifts from Utopia: everyone lives as monks, decisions are communal, vigorous debate is encouraged, etc, much more than it is communism. The decision to go with Art Deco may well be taking some inspiration from Bioshock but having the Jazz Age as symbolize a more utopian time is a shorthand that exists beyond Bioshock. Personally I'm going to assume that the concept lead for Aumarot was just a really big Janelle Monáe fan, and this is also why roedames can have pompadours.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
actually, being a master cook is the one section where you can pretty much do fine by yourself. it's the only one that almost never has a prep ingerdient to be made by another class.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's neat how you find out the details of why F'lhaminn (or whatever her name is) adopted Minfilia in the Stormblood Alchemy job quests (and it's actually pretty interesting - her lover was a anti-Empire activist who tried this plan to that ended up unintentionally killing Minfilia's father).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

- the social aspects seem really good. People aren't dicks in groups, and being able to nominate one person per dungeon for a commendation is really cool, though I'm not sure what impact that actually has.

If you give out 5 you get a boost of EXP from your Challenge Log once a week, assuming you've unlocked the challenge log. In case you haven't, here's a link explaining what it is and where to unlock it.

There are achievements for getting a lot of commendations (and I mean a lot, FFXIV has an obsession with insanely huge numbers for achievements for some weird reason), otherwise it doesn't really do anything other than feel good that someone noticed your DPS was really good when you get one as a DPS - I never feel like I earned them as tank or healer regardless of how well I did just because people seem to default to giving them to those roles.

e: oh I lied, the best thing about commendations is grouping up with 6 friends and running a trial, then having everyone commend-bomb the 8th person.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
I've never played SMN before, but I kinda wanna try to DPS. Is there a quick rundown of 'do this stuff' I could get?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I beat the MSQ earlier and I have to say everything from 79 onward owned and goddamn was the final tussle with Emet-Selch ending like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann hype as hell. This was the most Final Fantasy it's been in years and I'm glad of it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

The Berzerker posted:

You'll delice those Chocobos and like it.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

Xerophyte posted:

Alternative take, this thing where any event in fiction must be reduced to a reference to one and only one specific previous thing is needlessly reductive and not very useful?

Endgame zone spoiler: I'm sure that the decision to have Emet restore the ASCIImans' home from their ruined state in as a dreamland was a nod to FF10, but it's also entirely in keeping with his goals and personality and an excellent story beat. His entire existence is dedicated to restoring the star as it was, and drat the cost both to himself and these mayflies who squat in the ruins of his people. He restores Amaurot for a number of reasons: to explain to the wol of the enormity of the loss, to convince the wol to support the rejoining, as a show of power, as a living memory. Mostly it's an exercise in personal nostalgia, surrounding himself with the familiar and reminding himself of what he's fighting for. I think the execution is lacking somewhat as the pacing slows down a little too much, but conceptually it's loving great even without FF10 existing. Hardly an idle reference.

If you want an inspiration for the design, Amaurot is literally named after the capital of Thomas More's Utopia. A lot of the social structure are direct lifts from Utopia: everyone lives as monks, decisions are communal, vigorous debate is encouraged, etc, much more than it is communism. The decision to go with Art Deco may well be taking some inspiration from Bioshock but having the Jazz Age as symbolize a more utopian time is a shorthand that exists beyond Bioshock. Personally I'm going to assume that the concept lead for Aumarot was just a really big Janelle Monáe fan, and this is also why roedames can have pompadours.

you say "needlessly reductive", I say "purposefully shitposting to change the subject and hopefully jumpstart a more nuanced conversation" :shrug: like I even said in my previous post that I agree with these observations on Amaurot, but if you ask me, the very image of a glittering metropolis with art deco architectural flourishes at the bottom of the sea is undeniably reminiscent of Bioshock, even if ultimately it's more on an aesthetic level than anything else.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Yea, I was pretty shocked to go from finishing ARR on a high note and then landing in Seventh Era expecting I'd be moving right into Heavensward. That was a brutal 100 4+ step quests where I actually skipped a ton of the cutscenes without much guilt. Caught the good stuff though. The thing is with XP boosted so much w/ the Road to 70, Heat of Battle and the newbie XP earring I find myself at BRD 58 just a few quests into Heavenward which feels kind of odd.

I actually like Bard so far, especially since it sounds like I'll be getting more procs in my skills - is there any real drawback for being overleveled for quests?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Quests will scale you for the encounters that actually matter outside of overworld spawns

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Wingnut Ninja posted:

- documentation on basic game concepts is a real crapshoot. They have this great in-game system that explains like 60% of the material but then I'm left guessing what the difference is between a "dungeon" and a "trial", with no apparent explanation either in-game or on the web site database. Just a basic dictionary or wiki that's actually fleshed out would be a huge help.

As someone who has been playing for a week and a half I agree with everything in your post but especially this. With the original ARR 2.0 MSQs being so loving boring, people (aka the randoms in the FC I joined to have someone to ask questions to) advised me to bee-line it ASAP so I think I missed a fair number of useful sidequests that unlock mechanics (for example I'm level 55 but only today did I unlock a chocobo saddlebag and chocobo combat despite having been riding a chocobo around for ages). I wish quests like that were a little more in your face. I know the blue quest mark denotes unlocking something but early game there's so many of them and a lot of them are not important things (like crafting jobs you don't want, leve-whatevers you don't care about etc.) it's easy to miss some things.

Vermain posted:

This is a consequence of the game being the most popular it has ever been on the release of a massively hyped up expansion. They split they data centers into 3 (from 2) a few months before the expansion, including multiple new servers on Crystal, and everything still filled up to capacity.

They could at least make you pick a server before you go through the whole character design process, since you lose it all when you back out and choose another data center that (hopefully) has space on it

Campbell posted:

Yea, I was pretty shocked to go from finishing ARR on a high note and then landing in Seventh Era expecting I'd be moving right into Heavensward. That was a brutal 100 4+ step quests where I actually skipped a ton of the cutscenes without much guilt. Caught the good stuff though. The thing is with XP boosted so much w/ the Road to 70, Heat of Battle and the newbie XP earring I find myself at BRD 58 just a few quests into Heavenward which feels kind of odd.

I'm at 55 BRD and I'm only 5 or 6 quests into the Seventh Era so I'm even worse than you are in terms of overleveling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think a big part of the art deco look is because its futuristic and decadent in a way that's different from the Allagans but is also nostalgic. It's a really smart way to signify that the Ascians lived in a world far more advanced than the current FFXIV world, it's literally NYC. But it is also a NYC that's 100 years old in the real world.[

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 7, 2019