Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Future Days posted:

Oh look KMFDM will release another run of the mill forgettable album. I'm sure th-

Okay, I'm interested. :allears:

KMFDM
DOIN' THE SAME SONG AGAIN!

Watts returning is interesting since he pretty recently collabed with Gunther and En Esch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Gonna laugh if the song is just "That's the Way I Like It" again with Lucia instead of Sasha Grey.

I mean, it would be an improvement, but it would still suck.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It really sucks that KMFDM stabilized around the dullest lineup imaginable.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

hatelull posted:

Set phasers to scoff?

http://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/the-33-best-industrial-albums-of-all-time/?page=1

I was honestly surprised at some of the selections. I never for a minute expected to see Fook on this list. The unabashed fan boy in me would have preferred to see Too Dark Park higher, but it is what it is and I'm cool with what they pegged as Number One. Hint: It is neither a Nine Inch Nails NOR a Ministry LP.

its a bad list because instead of picking one definition of the word industrial they've tried to accommodate all of the different definitions simultaneously, so you have whitehouse and nurse with wound next to ebm and industrial rock stuff. death grips and clipping being on there is laughable and pharmakon is very good but that's not her best record and it's ridiculous to put her on there and not include any of the equally excellent power electronics/death industrial artists that influenced her, or any of the many contemporary artists working in those genres who are just as good. but what can you expect for pitchfork's genre tourist crap, i'm surprised they even included whitehouse and controlled bleeding to be honest.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone else have any impressions on the new 3TEETH album? I'm 100% enjoying it, a lot of people giving Alexis poo poo for trying out new vocal styles all the time but I feel like it just gives variety over the length of a full album.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Photex posted:

Anyone else have any impressions on the new 3TEETH album?

It's been years, if not decades, that I've been interested in an album that's newly released - is it common that there's some delay before it's available on bandcamp? Or is it just still unavailable when you're browsing from Europe? I don't see it on 3teeth.org either.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

It's been years, if not decades, that I've been interested in an album that's newly released - is it common that there's some delay before it's available on bandcamp? Or is it just still unavailable when you're browsing from Europe? I don't see it on 3teeth.org either.

They are on Century Records now so I don't think they'll be putting it on bandcamp but they did release it on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lQs_BIfoHkq6EBiuOq_M6GZt1QZcW-7zg

This is how i'm listening to it

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Photex posted:

Anyone else have any impressions on the new 3TEETH album? I'm 100% enjoying it, a lot of people giving Alexis poo poo for trying out new vocal styles all the time but I feel like it just gives variety over the length of a full album.

I only listened to the singles, and they didn't hold a candle to the ho99o9 collabs

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
MY LIFE WITH THE THRILL KILL KULT: In The House Of Strange Affairs - extruded alternative butt rock product. No compelling tracks. My attention kept drifting and I daydreamed of actually good songs. Change my mind.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

divabot posted:

MY LIFE WITH THE THRILL KILL KULT: In The House Of Strange Affairs - extruded alternative butt rock product. No compelling tracks. My attention kept drifting and I daydreamed of actually good songs. Change my mind.

They haven't been compelling in over 25 years, why should I change your mind?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I went and saw SRSQ and Street Sects and it was worth it despite the short set lists

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Next up: Twin Tribes

Straight outta the Rio Grande Valley... move over Blutengel!!!! :drac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1EUT1h9gEQ

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
SRSQ is devastating and out of this world, like if you combined Twin Peaks with the blue opera-singing space alien from the Fifth Element and made it goth. Street Sects is like if you combined Mike Patton with Nine Inch Nails and with so much fog that it makes Covenant's use of fog look like a baby-level amount of fog.

There was a lot of fog.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

david_a posted:

VIVIsectVI would be my pick over Rabies, which outside of Worlock is primarily notable for holding the band together for a few more albums. It’s not very representative of their sound either.
Yeah I'm not reading the Pitchfork list under any circumstances but VIVIsectVI is their best album and possibly the best industrial album of all time. :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man, where were all you fellow VIVIsectVI boosters back on r.m.i. in the late 90s lol

I used to think I was the only one who thought it was their best

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

All I remember from that was the loathing of The Process, which I took umbrage with.

Also the incessant fights about what industrial is.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I like ViVisectVi and Too Dark Park a LOT but mostly can take or leave the rest of their catalogue. Ogre's vocals don't really work so great when the music isn't as abrasive.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Photex posted:

The dude from 3teeth looks just like General Talbot from Agents of Shield, change my mind

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

teethgrinder posted:

All I remember from that was the loathing of The Process, which I took umbrage with.

Also the incessant fights about what industrial is.

My friend let me tell you how The Process is actually the best Skinny Puppy album.

Pope Guilty posted:

I like ViVisectVi and Too Dark Park a LOT but mostly can take or leave the rest of their catalogue. Ogre's vocals don't really work so great when the music isn't as abrasive.

ohGr is great because it's less abrasive music with his vocals. Also more rapping.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

precision posted:

Man, where were all you fellow VIVIsectVI boosters back on r.m.i. in the late 90s lol

Did we trade mix tapes

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

I was too busy lurking for the most part and being afraid to post in the incessant arguments re what was or was not industrial.

Also, Too Dark Park for life.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
My favorites were every other album Mind: The Perpetual Intercourse, Vivisect VI, and Too Dark Park were my favorites - and I was less keen on Cleanse, Fold & Manipulate, Rabies, and Last Rights overall (though each still had tracks I loved).

I liked "industrial" being a catch-all term for a wide variety of music. Hyphenated micro-genres are a creative straight-jacket.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

How are you lot going to hype on vivisectVI and Too Dark Park but straight up ignore Last Rights?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

hatelull posted:

How are you lot going to hype on vivisectVI and Too Dark Park but straight up ignore Last Rights?

I loving love Killing Game and Inquisition but the rest of the album leaves me cold. Those two tracks are incredible though

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Killing Game" was a staple of my 90s industrial club DJ sets. It's a loving phenomenal song.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Just a reminder that The Gothsicles are awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ydBFVTosJ0

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
My favorite Last Rights tracks were Mirror Saw, Riverz End, Circustance, and Download. Didn't much care for the rest.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I love Last Rights. From "Love in Vein" to "Download," the whole album is great. My least favorite track is "Lust Chance," but mostly because it's embarrassing if someone else hears it. But it's still great music.

When I used to have real life conversations about which Skinny Puppy album was my favorite, I would say Too Dark Park and Last Rights played as one continuous album. That's my poo poo.

I love all of Skinny Puppy's pre-Process output, though. The Process is... fine. Not great. Didn't really age well. Definitely feels like another band's album.

I've fallen out of love with their post-2000 output. It used to be very important to me, but sometime after Weapon I was listening to it in the car and something just rubbed me the wrong way, and I said, "digital bullshit," outloud to myself, and that phrase pretty much sums up how I feel about the new stuff now.

Fans of old Puppy should check out Statiqbloom, they just released a new album called Asphyxia. Their previous album, Blue Moon Blood is also great.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

LabyaMynora posted:

Fans of old Puppy should check out Statiqbloom, they just released a new album called Asphyxia. Their previous album, Blue Moon Blood is also great.

literally just came here to post about Statiqbloom. They clearly loved their ’80s industrial bands who hit barrels with hammers and wanted to do that but on Ableton Live. They are openly nostalgic, and pay rather more attention to song structure than their heroes did. Like if alternative buttrock industrial didn’t have guitar solos, and barely had guitars. The album.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

have we talked about how loving good the new Drab Majesty record is yet

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

mennoknight posted:

No, because my mail hasn't arrived today. SHHHHHH!!!!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

mennoknight posted:

yeah i am super into this. it's like clan of xymox but really fun and good and not boring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5411duvNeE

they just have a way of kicking everyone's rear end completely and making it look easy like when that bass kicks in at 3:10 and also when they just kick even more rear end at 5:57

also went back and watched another one of their videos and noticed like half the people in it were at the SRSQ show the other night, and then i looked down at the credits and recognized the director's name. largely a local crew / gang / posse of trans women artists who live in my town and work with them so that's cool. feels like i'm the last guy to figure things out around here.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 12, 2019

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p852U7R-I8w

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

CornHolio posted:

The dude from 3teeth looks just like General Talbot from Agents of Shield, change my mind

I met Lex briefly after the Ministry show yesterday, without the glasses an a ball cap on, he's the spitting image of Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Here's a mega long shot: any of you have any releases by a band called Cut Rate Box? I knew them in high school and had their home made tapes, then many years later I saw that they had apparently somewhat "made it" but I've never been able to actually find any of their stuff aside from one remix they did of a Xymox song

Side note, who else is old enough to remember when they were just named Xymox, not Clan Of

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I remember Cut.Rate.Box - I even saw them live once about 15 or 16 years ago. I don't actually have anything of theirs unfortunately :-(

Unrelated: Rammstein were awesome live, and I think it's both funny and sad that their live show is exactly what a lot of electro-industrial bands would do if they had the money/fanbase for it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh! And that somehow reminds me of this, which I'm glad the internet found:

https://youtu.be/5NMl3wgf4xU

God I used to love that track lol

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

precision posted:

Here's a mega long shot: any of you have any releases by a band called Cut Rate Box? I knew them in high school and had their home made tapes, then many years later I saw that they had apparently somewhat "made it" but I've never been able to actually find any of their stuff aside from one remix they did of a Xymox song

Side note, who else is old enough to remember when they were just named Xymox, not Clan Of

I’ve got the first 2 cut.rate.box discs in my basement somewhere. I was buddies with one of the Gashed! guys, they were counting on that band exploding. Meh. There’s some good stuff on New Religion.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

You can buy some cut.rate.box mp3s on amazon, it looks like btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

re: 3TEETH, this cover is sublime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYIsZr9L_rM

When it first popped up on Spotify, I thought it ruined the irony of the original pop tune ... but then I saw the video, and god drat. Just ... fantastic.