Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Max Wilco posted:

Oh my god, that was beautiful. :allears:

It makes me want to try and get ARMA 3 to run properly, so Iz can pal aroun' with summa da boyz in a stompa and krump beakies! :orks101:

It made me want a slice of life show about orks and their day to day life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PierreTheMime posted:

Depending on how you’re playing it’s pretty difficult to make a bad Nid list, but some obviously work better than others. Exocrines are Primaris-murdering monsters and I always bring two, Hive Guard are still valuable.

Haruspex are also Primaris-murdering monsters and if you pull it off right can just turbo-murder their way through infantry and tanks at the same time.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Yeah, it bodes really well for future game design from GW. If they figured a way to make a 2000 point game of 40k just like 30-45 minutes faster, that would go a long way to getting new players and making tournaments even better.
Yeah if the next edition of 40k borrows some of the main design elements from Apoc it'll be great and solve a lot of long-standing issues. I'm hoping to see enough people at my local club learn Apoc too, I'll happily play it every week.

I was supposed to be reading through my copy by now (especially seeing what the Nid command asset cards do) but Element Games hosed up somehow and didn't ship my order yesterday :(

PierreTheMime posted:

Trygons and Tervigons are not great, and are certainly over priced for how they perform. A lot of people swear by the acid Tyrannofex. 4d6 autohits at 18” sounds great, as long as you don’t have to move.

While I wouldn't say they're a must-take option, Trygons can still put some work in thanks to Voracious Appetite and/or Ymgarl Factor. They get a decent number of attacks that hit reliably, with potential for quite high damage. Even before the last point drop in CA I often ran multiple Trygon Primes in Jormungandr lists and watched them clean up nearby armour or elite infantry. IIRC they're ~20pts cheaper now too. I definitely think they're in a league above Tervigons at least.

An acidfex is a great area denial tool. Park it on a central objective and watch it gently caress up most infantry, light armour and especially unsuspecting flyers. 18" auto-hit is a great gotcha.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
The Apoc ruleset seems really nice. It sands down a lot of things to keep it reasonable but I hope that they take some of the things forward to 9th. I really like the alternating activations for keeping players engaged with what's happening instead of just getting buckets of dice thrown at you. Along with the damage phase being at the end of the turn means that not getting initiative isn't as huge a penalty as it could be. As a 'nid player, movement trays are so nice. How the gently caress did I play before them?

Edit: Apoc-unit mini review
- Swarmlord - Absolute melee murder machine. Needs a Tyrant guard to not be shot off at first opportunity.
- Tyrannofex - Reliably good anti-tank A+
- Hiveguard - Seem underpowered at one ranged shot per unit.
- Termagants/Hormagaunts - Really cheap but seem really good for just swarming objectives/enemies.

- Terminators - Really tough in Apoc and surprisingly threatening. Makes a change from the garbage fire they are in regular 40k.
- Reivers/Assault Marines - Again, more surprised that they can actually do things in Apoc. Seemed to be decent melee threat.
- Armiger Helverins - Less good than I thought they would be. 7+ to wound all targets on the Autocannons is felt fairly bad.

Kore_Fero fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 6, 2019

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Kore_Fero posted:

The Apoc ruleset seems really nice. It sands down a lot of things to keep it reasonable but I hope that they take some of the things forward to 9th. I really like the alternating activations for keeping players engaged with what's happening instead of just getting buckets of dice thrown at you. Along with the damage phase being at the end of the turn means that not getting initiative isn't as huge a penalty as it could be. As a 'nid player, movement trays are so nice. How the gently caress did I play before them?

Edit: Apoc-unit mini review
- Terminators - Really tough in Apoc and surprisingly threatening. Makes a change from the garbage fire they are in regular 40k.
- Reivers/Assault Marines - Again, more surprised that they can actually do things in Apoc. Seemed to be decent melee threat.

bring on 9th edition

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

No. Units get wounds and then die.

Oh poo poo, this is great to hear. Apocalypse is sounding a lot like a stealth system overhaul and I love that.

Currently "Warhammer" refers to Kill Team, 30k / 7e, 8e, and Apocalypse - and that's what you need to do with a property in 2019. It's basically what WotC should have done with D&D, except that they're idiots.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
I've seen a fair number of reviews for Apoc now, and they're all super binary. Seen a bunch of people say Apoc is the best, seen a bunch of people saying it is complete trash and want their money back. What is so divisive about it?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
We did a review on Goonhammer.

https://www.goonhammer.com/warhammer-40000-apocalypse-review-and-unboxing/

If you're gonna play multiple big games, Apocalypse is a must-buy. Not just because the rules streamline the game in interesting, necessary ways. But because the 40k rules are so incredibly bad for very large games that you shouldn't waste any time trying to play old-style Apocalypse now that the new rules are out. If you aren't gonna play a lot of big games, then you could just save your money.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheChirurgeon posted:

If you're gonna play multiple big games, Apocalypse is a must-buy. Not just because the rules streamline the game in interesting, necessary ways. But because the 40k rules are so incredibly bad for very large games that you shouldn't waste any time trying to play old-style Apocalypse now that the new rules are out. If you aren't gonna play a lot of big games, then you could just save your money.

So basically it is what it's advertised to be, and nothing more?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So basically it is what it's advertised to be, and nothing more?

Yeah, pretty much. Though I feel like they haven't really gone into as much depth on Command Assets as they should have.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Do the Space Marines and CSM cards just have better assets? Or do they have more? It occurs to me that having more might actually be a downside if you've built your deck to serve a specific specialized purpose and drawing the wrong card is going to put a crimp in your tactics.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Mugaaz posted:

What is so divisive about it?

I'm going to guess streamlining. People are always butthurt when things get optimized for actual play, because they're Very Smart and don't want anything that's been "dumbbed down for babby"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

moths posted:

I'm going to guess streamlining. People are always butthurt when things get optimized for actual play, because they're Very Smart and don't want anything that's been "dumbbed down for babby"

Enough about 30k players though.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Enough about 30k players though.

Interestingly, most 30k players that I know are interested in apoc, because it actually succeeds ad simplifying mechanics to make a different game, rather than 8th which simplifies but in a way that sometimes feels lacking.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I suspect Apocalypse is closer to what the designers would have done if they could have pulled an AOS level revamp of 40K.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Was really expecting some kind of AdMechy gimmick

I believe you'll find nothing in the admech codex has any admechy gimmicks either :smith:

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 7, 2019

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I suspect Apocalypse is closer to what the designers would have done if they could have pulled an AOS level revamp of 40K.

Probably between Kill Team and Apoc. 40k has a Characters Matter theme going that Apoc doesn't have but Kill Team would be unwieldy with that many models. I think alternating activations and resources generated per turn will probably make it into 9th at a minimum.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Played 375 PL per side Apoc today with forum superstar General Olloth and had a great time. Some standouts:
- It felt like a real war, the model density felt better for the setting.
- The power gap between superheavies and everything else was much smaller.
- The tactics cards added a lot of flavor.
- End of round damage is very good for balance.
- Psychic powers are a big deal (at least for chaos).

Ghazk fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 7, 2019

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Booley posted:

Interestingly, most 30k players that I know are interested in apoc, because it actually succeeds ad simplifying mechanics to make a different game, rather than 8th which simplifies but in a way that sometimes feels lacking.

Also it's ripped off most of its concepts from Epic, which is a hell of a good game.

Ghazk posted:

Played 375 PL per side Apoc today with forum superstar General Olloth and had a great time. Some standouts:
- It felt like a real war, the model density felt better for the setting.
- The power gap between superheavies and everything else was much smaller.
- The tactics cards added a lot of flavor.
- End is round damage is very good for balance.
- Psychic powers are a big deal (at least for chaos).

Stuff like this is exactly what I wanted from Apocalypse.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Thanks for the infos, xtothez and Tyranid Mastermind Pierre! One more question - in the past I mostly struggled against tough, High-Armor stuff like Titans , Land Raiders and more. What are our best options against such targets?

Just so you know, I don't own any flyers, like to run balanced lists (small gribblies and huge thingies), and my opponents don't go for max cheese. I was thinking of building the tyrannofex with a rupture cannon for anti tank, but apparently the acid spray is the better choice.

Luebbi fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 7, 2019

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Luebbi posted:

Thanks for the infos, xtothez and Tyranid Mastermind Pierre! One more question - in the past I mostly struggled against tough, High-Armor stuff like Titans , Land Raiders and more. What are our best options against such targets?

Just so you know, I don't own any flyers, like to run balanced lists (small gribblies and huge thingies), and my opponents don't go for max cheese. I was thinking of building the tyrannofex with a rupture cannon for anti tank, but apparently the acid spray is the better choice.
The first rule of Tyranid monsters is to magnetise everything! GW are constantly changing rules and points values these days, and what's great today might not be so great by the end of the year, and vice-versa. For £5 worth of 6mm disc magnets and very little time, you can future-proof your models basically forever. Being able to remove certain limbs also helps fit larger or unusually shaped models in travel cases too

I want to clarify by saying Acid spray isn't the better choice, just that it's a decent choice by virtue of it being quite flexible. Rupture cannons are a very effective anti-armour option with great damage output*, although the obvious downside to them is that they're far less flexible. Against opponents with little heavy armour or with easy access to -1 To Hit penalties they will struggle.

Very heavy armour (T8+) like Knights is the area where the Tyranid codex currently struggles the most, especially if they have invuln saves and/or decent melee stats. Rupture Cannons can help, but they're also fairly easy for an opponent to counter. Many other options require getting a unit into killing range, and often is a suicide mission. Tyranids do have loads of options to throw out mortal wounds, which can help whittle down a troublesome unit although that's likely to take several turns. Sometimes the best way to deal with these beefy units is to simply ignore them, kill everything else instead and play the mission. An opponent can't claim objectives if you've wiped out all his troops!
Nids can also use psychic powers to neuter troublesome units; slap The Horror or Paroxysm on a Knight and it's suddenly much less scary, especially if you've managed to degrade it.

*In my first game with the current codex I parked a Rupture Cannon Tyrannofex opposite a Land Raider, only for my opponent to seize initiative and go first. His opening move was obviously to unleash all four lascannons and take it just below half wounds to BS 5+. In my turn I managed to roll just enough with Rapid Regeneration to bring it back up to 8 wounds, allowing me to land most of my Rupture Cannon shots back on the Land Raider and almost kill it in one volley. It was then easily finished off with a couple of Smites.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Read this yesterday and thought it was the best Apoc review I've seen this week. Went into some good details as well as the pros & cons.

The only point I'd disagree with is Wings' comment about the game favouring MSUs. Due to the way morale and some faction-specific rules work, multiple smaller units will lose more additional wounds than one large unit of the same size. Ork Boyz even have a version of Mob Rule baked into their unit stats, as Ld increases with unit size. A unit of 30 Boyz (Ld7) needs to take at more blast markers to have a chance of losing 1 wound to morale, while 3 units of 10 (Ld5) can potentially be wiped out with one blast marker each. Necron Warriors are far more likely to benefit from Living Metal in a unit of 20 than with two units of 10.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Luebbi posted:

Like xtothez said, Tyranid generally struggle with this. Aside from a Heirophant, there’s really nothing that does a fantastic job at it, especially since a decent round of Rotate Ion Shields can nullify most of your heavy shooting. The most effective you can be is in melee to negate their invuln save and you need absolute weight of numbers to knock it quickly or get stomped to death. Even if you win, there’s a chance the thing will dump boatloads of mortal wounds on all your monsters. Knights are just generally not a great time for Tyranid.

I know they’re the internet darling, but Hive Guard really are likely the best shooting choice, since you’re not hedging your bets on 2d3 big hits and you can hide them from reprisal. A single double-shooting unit should but ~14W onto a Knight and you should be able to make up the rest with other units. Psychic phase for mortal wounds is also an option, but getting to within 18” and having the Knight be the closest target is asking for it to come murder you.

It’s already been mentioned, but be sure to put The Horror on Knights.

If your friend is bringing one Knight that’s doable (or you could ignore it and play for objectives). If they’re bringing more, then you may be in for a challenge and/or bad time.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Genestealers are surprisingly good at killing knights, so long as you can get past screening.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

SpikeMcclane posted:

Genestealers are surprisingly good at killing knights, so long as you can get past screening.

As Space Hulk demonstrates and Ciaphas Cain will attest, Genestealer claws are sharp enough to cut right through the heaviest adamantium and ceramite armor with next to no resistance. It only makes sense they'd be good against Knights.

Is it just me or is there something notionally off about putting Ahriman himself in the SC! Thousand Sons box? I mean, obviously gameplay wise that's cool, no problem, but, like... on the one hand we have SC! Primaris Space Wolves, with a random lieutenant-equivalent doing a cool pose, and on the other hand we have SC! Thousand Sons, with the man who cast the Rubric and doomed his legion.

(Also drat I shouldn't have bought those Rubricae on their own....)

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Yeah I’ve been dithering about what to get next and with the arrival of Chaos Knights I’ll probably go in for some Thousand Sons to have a good selection to mix around. I’ve got a Terminator Sorcerer and a bunch of cultists laying around for an instant Battalion.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Stephenls posted:

Is it just me or is there something notionally off about putting Ahriman himself in the SC! Thousand Sons box? I mean, obviously gameplay wise that's cool, no problem, but, like... on the one hand we have SC! Primaris Space Wolves, with a random lieutenant-equivalent doing a cool pose, and on the other hand we have SC! Thousand Sons, with the man who cast the Rubric and doomed his legion.

The TS Exaulted Sorcerers box is three characters spread across two sprues. Ahriman is on a standalone character sprue. To me it feels like a logistics decision. Push comes to shove Ahriman could be proxied for a regular sorcerer without much fuss.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

The TS Exaulted Sorcerers box is three characters spread across two sprues. Ahriman is on a standalone character sprue. To me it feels like a logistics decision. Push comes to shove Ahriman could be proxied for a regular sorcerer without much fuss.

Well, yes. The Thousand Sons have a paucity of single-figure HQs. They could have stuck in the CSM Terminator Lord and sold him on the box as Sorcerer in Terminator Armor, but that thing is old and not very Thousand Sons-y, and I don't think there's anything else that would fit the bill, so logistically Ahriman is the only option that makes sense. But, lore-wise... it's funny, is what I'm saying, I guess.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Surprised the GSC Start Collecting box isn't in this wave, considering it's been shown in the Codex since Feb

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

xtothez posted:

Surprised the GSC Start Collecting box isn't in this wave, considering it's been shown in the Codex since Feb

That is weird. Next weekend, maybe?

Oh, hey, speaking of codex contents -- this SC! Thousand Sons box is the same contents as the "Acolytes of Tzeench" sample starter army from the Codex: Thousand Sons, although it's not called out as an SC! kit there.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
SC Thousand sons is interesting, is this the first box with a named character included?

Edit: Ignore me Deathwatch comes with Artemis, I imagine we'll get a glut of second hand Arhimans now

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Took my mixed Aeldari forces out for a spin today, against a friend, and they really are a lot stronger than my Ultramarines. This is the first time I play a 2k Aeldari list.

I went with a 50%/50% mix of Alaitoc Craftworld and Soaring Spite Harlequins. My opponent brought a mix of World Eaters and 1kSons.

On his first round, he killed 20 Guardians and 5 Shining Spears. On my first turn I blew up his Fire Raptor, a rhino with 10 berserkers, a Forgefiend and a Helldrake. After that, the game was just a wrap-up for me.

I think I will play a lot more Aeldar and a lot less marines from now on..

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Running the math, Ahriman in a 1k sons sc box is pretty cool given that you're basically getting a $70 ozbux kit for free.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Difference being Ahriman is good

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
it fucks me up that the WtD Spirit seer doesn't actually have a wysiwyg loadout on its datasheet.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What the hell is the point of primaris space wolves...

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

JBP posted:

What the hell is the point of primaris space wolves...

Are you looking for narrative justification for a product? In 40K? Lol.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Strobe posted:

Are you looking for narrative justification for a product? In 40K? Lol.

They're just confusing units rules and fluff wise I guess. Why would I buy a gunline to make my assault army more boring to play?

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

xtothez posted:

Very heavy armour (T8+) like Knights is the area where the Tyranid codex currently struggles the most

You guys not taking a Shadowsword with your Tyranid Lists :allears:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

JBP posted:

They're just confusing units rules and fluff wise I guess. Why would I buy a gunline to make my assault army more boring to play?

Intercessors and Aggressors are honestly pretty good in close combat. As Space Wolves maybe less so than as Blood Angels, but still plenty enough to justify a charge into some other kind of infantry.

Do you just never use units for two kinds of play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

It'd be cool if the DE got some love and maybe some resurrected folks out of the shitload of plastic character and Blackstone one-off releases but lol xenos.