Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

It was a roundabout way of bragging about getting an E8.

Seriously though, I got an E8. I’m kinda freaked out by the whole thing being supported by glass. I imagine that I’m overreacting, because if they were constantly breaking, they’d be pulled from the market?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bob Socko posted:

It was a roundabout way of bragging about getting an E8.

Seriously though, I got an E8. I’m kinda freaked out by the whole thing being supported by glass. I imagine that I’m overreacting, because if they were constantly breaking, they’d be pulled from the market?

Mount it and don't ever touch it again.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Rhyno posted:

My 55" TCL has a notch on the legs that prevents you from installing the legs backwards. Is that a new change?

For real? Can anyone else weigh in on this?

Reversing the legs was the only was I was able to make it fit on my current TV stand. or else the slightest rotation would have caused a stand leg to go off the edge. That's kind of lame, and would require getting one of those base mounts instead

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Unless the legs are L and R specific and I missed it, my TV stand is half an inch narrower than the TV legs.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Astro7x posted:

For real? Can anyone else weigh in on this?

Reversing the legs was the only was I was able to make it fit on my current TV stand. or else the slightest rotation would have caused a stand leg to go off the edge. That's kind of lame, and would require getting one of those base mounts instead

Buy a middle stand unit from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Tempere...=gateway&sr=8-3

Something like that. I've gotten 3 of those for TCL tv's for family members and it works great.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Shrimpy posted:

Does anyone know if the "LG won't honor the warranty from a non-authorized dealer" comment that constantly comes up from Slickdeals a real thing? I've got my eye on the LG 77" C9 which Newegg has for $5k, but it's through an unauthorized dealer.

Hah this is actually a running joke on Slickdeals.

LG WILL HONOR the warranty of any of their OLED TVs, it does not matter if it's authorized. This has been tested infinity times. You will be able to buy that TV and register it for warranty right away no matter who you buy it from.

In any case it's a moot point because you shouldn't order this TV from Newegg.

Go to Greentoe (a completely legit and great site) and you can get the C9 77 from a fully authorized dealer for $4999 AFTER tax. It is confirmed that this price will be accepted already.

https://www.greentoe.com/product/LG_C9_77_Class_HDR_UHD_Smart_OLED_TV_OLED77C9PUB

I thought about getting the 77 C9 but ended up going with the 65 C9 simply because it's for bedroom use and we'll be quite close to the screen. The 77 is absolutely majestic though, enjoy.

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 3, 2019

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The TCL R613 is pretty much the same as the 617, yeah? That's the one that was reviewed on rtings.

Saw this sale on slickdeals

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jimbot posted:

The TCL R613 is pretty much the same as the 617, yeah? That's the one that was reviewed on rtings.

Saw this sale on slickdeals

613? I know the 615 is BBs version without the fancy remote... But I've never heard of the 613.

Edit: ah just looks like a warehouse version

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 4, 2019

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The LG OLED55B8PUA is for sale at $1000 on various locations (Buydig, Amazon, Best Buy)

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

*misread, edited, please ignore*

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Not really sure where to ask this, but I'll try in here:

I've been holding out for HDMI 2.1, mainly for eARC and VRR. I see LG's 2019 models support these, but not Freesync. Does anyone have any idea whether the PS5 is more likely to use VRR or Freesync, or both? Does one perform better than the other? I really want to take the plunge, but I want to be able to connect the next-gen Sony console and get the most out of it without upgrading a hugely expensive TV for the privilege.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Shrimpy posted:

Does anyone know if the "LG won't honor the warranty from a non-authorized dealer" comment that constantly comes up from Slickdeals a real thing? I've got my eye on the LG 77" C9 which Newegg has for $5k, but it's through an unauthorized dealer.

You can now get the C9 77 inch from Greentoe for $4599, tax included, authorized retailer.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The 55” B8 is available from Amazon. $300 to upgrade from my PQ65 to an OLED but downgrade from 65” to 55”?

Tough choice but 55” is just too small as my only TV in 2019.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

A 65 inch tv is 40% bigger than a 55 inch TV. Get the 65 C8 for $1599. You get the better processor too.

E:actually the b8 65 is 1449 right now

https://slickdeals.net/f/13198261-5...issed%3AControl

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 6, 2019

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The 65" TCL 6 Series is $605 with free shipping on Rakuten right now (from Electronics Express - use coupon code XP100).

That's a fuckin' steal.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

BonoMan posted:

The 65" TCL 6 Series is $605 with free shipping on Rakuten right now (from Electronics Express - use coupon code XP100).

That's a fuckin' steal.

I don't see it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I don't see it.

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/electronic-express/product/65R617/?l-id=WHATSTRENDING_widget_1

Then go all the way to checkout and use code XP100 and it'll take it down to $605.

Debating pulling the trigger myself.

And of course use referrals to get an extra $10 (if you are a new customer) https://www.rakuten.com/r/ZPRICH2?eeid=28187

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Taima posted:

Hah this is actually a running joke on Slickdeals.

LG WILL HONOR the warranty of any of their OLED TVs, it does not matter if it's authorized. This has been tested infinity times. You will be able to buy that TV and register it for warranty right away no matter who you buy it from.

I can tell you from personal experience, they will NOT honor the warranty if you purchase from a non-authorized dealer. I bought a C8 in October and a black line appeared on the panel in May, I called LG and they said because I purchased it from FirstClassTVs on eBay, they wouldn’t honor the warranty.

Luckily I got a Squaretrade warranty and they covered it.

My replacement TV will be coming from an authorized dealer.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

LordOfThePants posted:

I can tell you from personal experience, they will NOT honor the warranty if you purchase from a non-authorized dealer. I bought a C8 in October and a black line appeared on the panel in May, I called LG and they said because I purchased it from FirstClassTVs on eBay, they wouldn’t honor the warranty.

Luckily I got a Squaretrade warranty and they covered it.

My replacement TV will be coming from an authorized dealer.

That's interesting, did you register it when you got it? It's just surprising because we keep track of this kind of stuff on slickdeals and it's very rare to hear something like this. Tons of users report receiving warranty coverage on unauthorized OLEDs.

In any case an extended warranty is always recommended no matter where you buy the TV, as well as using a credit card that provides an extended warranty as well. A commonly recommended warranty is the Squaretrade 3 year Costco warranty.

however of course you should be buying from an authorized dealer if there is no or little price difference, which is often the case (Greentoe for example will usually match any pricing you will find). So for most people this will be a moot point. Most people who purchase from unauthorized retails are simply doing so to avoid sales tax at this point. Which, moral qualms aside, is an easy choice as you can get a 3 year warranty for a fraction of the price of the savings.

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 6, 2019

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
Family member's looking for a budget tv for their living room, somewhere <$300 -- Really doesn't care about 4k (some netflix shows maybe), anywhere 43+ inches is probably fine. Anyone have experience with the budget TCLs from Costco? Probably worth considering just getting a used 1080p that might get brighter if it's in a pretty well-lit room? They have an old appletv, so smart features are nice but not super necessary.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

TCL is fine, at under $300 you're scraping pretty close to the bottom of the barrel but try to find something with a built in Roku as you can definitely find that even in super cheap TVs.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Taima posted:

That's interesting, did you register it when you got it? It's just surprising because we keep track of this kind of stuff on slickdeals and it's very rare to hear something like this. Tons of users report receiving warranty coverage on unauthorized OLEDs.

I don't recall registering it. I started the warranty claim process by filling out their form on their website, which required me to submit my receipt. That obviously had eBay/FirstClassTVs on it as well as my purchase date, so it was clear the TV was less than a year old.

I don't see how registering it would have made any difference but maybe it does. I guess they can earn a little from selling your information to marketing companies if you register the TV so maybe they'll feel better about replacing a $2100 TV. At no time did they say "the warranty is void because you didn't register it". It was "eBay is not an authorized retailer so we will not be honoring your warranty".

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

LordOfThePants posted:

I don't recall registering it. I started the warranty claim process by filling out their form on their website, which required me to submit my receipt. That obviously had eBay/FirstClassTVs on it as well as my purchase date, so it was clear the TV was less than a year old.

I don't see how registering it would have made any difference but maybe it does. I guess they can earn a little from selling your information to marketing companies if you register the TV so maybe they'll feel better about replacing a $2100 TV. At no time did they say "the warranty is void because you didn't register it". It was "eBay is not an authorized retailer so we will not be honoring your warranty".

Are you sure you had to submit the receipt? Many users report not having to submit the receipt, even if the screen comes up to do so. And for the record, the reason why I ask if you didn't register it earlier is because often the forms can be different for someone who has had a registered product vs. asking for a warranty repair later.

I am wondering if the main issue here is that you were 100% honest instead of just writing another authorized vendor, or voluntarily submitting proof of purchase. However the problem may also be that you didn't register your TV when you bought it, thus triggering a more rigorous warranty claim when you did have an issue.

It's hard to tell because of course any Slickdeals user would report a fake company for their RMA (And I actually support this because it is anti-consumer to not honor a warranty on a new, in box item) so if you just straight up were like "I bought this poo poo off ebay who even knows what it is" that may be an issue.

All I can say is that the vast majority of unauthorized purchasers managed to get the warranty. Beyond that I cannot know, but I'm guessing they didn't just write the unauthorized dealer on their form if I had to guess.

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 6, 2019

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Finay got my LG C8 55 on the wall, really happy with it. Do I need to calibrate it or is that mainlt for proper AV nerds and the presets do the job fine? I know Vivid is basically store demo mode.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Finay got my LG C8 55 on the wall, really happy with it. Do I need to calibrate it or is that mainlt for proper AV nerds and the presets do the job fine? I know Vivid is basically store demo mode.
Copy a calibration profile from a review site like Rtings. Sometimes, YouTubers also have guides, at least for features and display modes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Soni have a weird problem.

The wall where we want to mount our main TV contains a pocket door. Would you guys trust a swing arm style mount to hold a large TV up if it was going to be fully extended to one side at all times?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Just make sure whatever setting you have it on you leave the backlight at 50 tops, otherwise you like triple the risk of burn in.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone have experience putting a TV mount in drywall that has no studs? I got the R613 (R617) from Bj's and picked up a wall mount because the TV won't fit on my stand. Unfortunately the studs are few and far between. The instructions tell you which screws to use for cement and wood studs. The screws for the wood studs are M8 30mm screws. Chonky ones. I went to the hardware store to look for toggle anchors or any other anchors but they don't come in that size. Anyone have any tips? I never did any of this before.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wouldn't. At my previous job my boss insisted we could hang a TV in just drywall, he used 16 anchors. We opened the store one morning to find it shattered on the floor.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. I'll probably just get a new TV stand. Mine's in good shape so I can probably sell it for a decent amount. A lot safer than putting holes in the wall only for the anchors to fail and the TV to crash into the floor.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. I'll probably just get a new TV stand. Mine's in good shape so I can probably sell it for a decent amount. A lot safer than putting holes in the wall only for the anchors to fail and the TV to crash into the floor.

If you have any studs at all, you can put some plywood between them and mount to the plywood.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

gangnam reference posted:

Family member's looking for a budget tv for their living room, somewhere <$300 -- Really doesn't care about 4k (some netflix shows maybe), anywhere 43+ inches is probably fine. Anyone have experience with the budget TCLs from Costco? Probably worth considering just getting a used 1080p that might get brighter if it's in a pretty well-lit room? They have an old appletv, so smart features are nice but not super necessary.

I have the TCL 43in from Costco (since the 6-series doesn't have anything lower than 55in) and it works fine as a budget TV. IIRC, the cheaper TCLs in Costco are the 4-series.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
$1,300 for a 55 inch LG C9 OLED a good deal? It is neweggs flash deal right now.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Texibus posted:

$1,300 for a 55 inch LG C9 OLED a good deal? It is neweggs flash deal right now.

I don't know how the pricing differs but in the UK the C8 55 is £1400 at most retailers so I would suggest that is an excellent deal.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Texibus posted:

That is ridiculous, I would sell my rear end hole to lions for that.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Texibus posted:

Where is this? I only see the 65inch or the 55inch refurbished on there.

Edit: Found it, I'm dumb. Do I buy the extended warranty on this?

Link: https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIAJKJ9JD8870?icid=WP_9999_07022019

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Home ownership and TCL prices, gyah. Getting a hangout area set up in the basement and OBVIOUSLY there needs to be a TV there. Since it's just a side hangout area throwing a cheap whatever maybe used screen would be great right, but the 65" TCL 6 series is on sale through today for $489 at Costco o_O. Cause in 2 years will I be watching a movie down there bummed out I didn't just spend the extra $100 or $200 to get real HDR and all instead of just doing the 55" 4 or 5 series. :retrogames:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo...

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

teh_Broseph posted:

Home ownership and TCL prices, gyah. Getting a hangout area set up in the basement and OBVIOUSLY there needs to be a TV there. Since it's just a side hangout area throwing a cheap whatever maybe used screen would be great right, but the 65" TCL 6 series is on sale through today for $489 at Costco o_O. Cause in 2 years will I be watching a movie down there bummed out I didn't just spend the extra $100 or $200 to get real HDR and all instead of just doing the 55" 4 or 5 series. :retrogames:

God our Costco is still under construction... That's a killer deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

teh_Broseph posted:

The TCL I see on Costco.com for $489 is the 65S5 which is not the 6 Series.