Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
My Honda Accord was totalled after it got murdered by a drunk driver, so I need a new car relatively quickly.

AWD is on my must have list. I've been driving manuals for most of the last 15 years but I live in the city so the appeal is waning fast. I don't trust CVTs, but maybe I could be convinced otherwise.

Subarus seem appealing as they hit that AWD mark, and SUVs are not super appealing but I'm not opposed. At a previous job I had a 2013 Ford Escape AWD 2.0 Ecoboost and that was pretty nice.

I will not consider Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge.

My budget is about 15k, used of course, though I may spend more if needed. I will be paying cash.

All that said I know very little about Subarus and any problem areas they have. I think the Crosstrek is kinda ugly, I have a spot spot for wagons and hatches, and I like both the Impreza and Legacy, with the nod going to a Legacy for being bigger. But that said, I don't have kids so I dont super need the extra room.

I don't want to go older than 2010.

Anything I should be aware of or watch out for on 2010+ Subarus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

`Nemesis posted:

My Honda Accord was totalled after it got murdered by a drunk driver, so I need a new car relatively quickly.

AWD is on my must have list. I've been driving manuals for most of the last 15 years but I live in the city so the appeal is waning fast. I don't trust CVTs, but maybe I could be convinced otherwise.

Subarus seem appealing as they hit that AWD mark, and SUVs are not super appealing but I'm not opposed. At a previous job I had a 2013 Ford Escape AWD 2.0 Ecoboost and that was pretty nice.

I will not consider Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge.

My budget is about 15k, used of course, though I may spend more if needed. I will be paying cash.

All that said I know very little about Subarus and any problem areas they have. I think the Crosstrek is kinda ugly, I have a spot spot for wagons and hatches, and I like both the Impreza and Legacy, with the nod going to a Legacy for being bigger. But that said, I don't have kids so I dont super need the extra room.

I don't want to go older than 2010.

Anything I should be aware of or watch out for on 2010+ Subarus?

If you live in the city, you don't need AWD. Invest in some snow tires for a Mazda 3.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Deteriorata posted:

If you live in the city, you don't need AWD. Invest in some snow tires for a Mazda 3.

Thanks for your opinion, but you're wrong for a variety of reasons. Got anything more helpful to say?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

`Nemesis posted:

Thanks for your opinion, but you're wrong for a variety of reasons. Got anything more helpful to say?

You're going to have to explain yourself more because it is explained over and over and over in this thread that 95% of people who think they need AWD are wrong.

So, while there is a very slight chance you are one of those who actually do need it, from the standpoint of everyone who is going to help you you're very likely fooling yourself.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

`Nemesis posted:

Followed you hear from AI. My 2 sents with AWD is getting flats and needing to replace all 4 tires because of one screw. A lot of AWD cars you see are like 80 percent FWD and 20 percent AWD only when you need it. So I guess figure out how important all time AWD is to you. Your Ford Escape for example didnt even have a transfer case to the rear instead they have a weird clutch set up on the rear diff that actuates when the front looses traction.

Subarus (ugh) everybody has a loving Subaru and its cause they are great cars but that fact alone puts me off. If you dont care about loosing your car in a sea of similarity i guess go for it for i cant say anything bad about em.
If I was dead set on an AWD car id be looking at lexus is250 or beemer 3 series with the x drive but thats just me.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

`Nemesis posted:

He's wrong about many many things but probably not this. Unless you're a first responder, etc you don't "need" awd in an urban area. You might want it and your wants might be valid, but it does limit your options a bit.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I want AWD because it is convenient. We have snowy winters, I street park, and the plows make big gently caress off mounds of snow. The plows do not come back later to bat clean up, there's too many parked cars anyways, so you have to get back into a snowy spot at some point, and get out, on repeat until it melts or evaporates.

In all honesty, I don't see why it matters why I want AWD. People by cars for all sorts of reason, with all sorts of capabilities, and much of it is driven by desire not utility. If car buying was purely utilitarian then no one would own a luxury vehicle. It's ok to have desires beyond plain utility.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Preoptopus posted:

beemer 3 series with the x drive

I have one of these and it is worse cornering and braking in snow on its stock run flat tires than my old FWD with snow tires. It accelerates marginally better.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

`Nemesis posted:

You're a dick and could have just said "I want AWD for [reasons]"

Buy an H2 hummer with a Hemi and marvel at how much drive you have on all your wheels!

`Nemesis posted:

In all honesty, I don't see why it matters why I want AWD.
Because the people here generally know that AWD is an edge-case luxury that ends up costing you in maintenance, and that you're far better off getting a good set of seasonal Winter Tires instead of relying on the false confidence most drivers get when they have AWD.

If that's your preference, fine. But the folks here just want to save you money. It's like blundering into the thread about computer building and saying "I occasionally use photoshop. I'm dropping $8500 on a top of the line graphics card, watercooler, and CPU that will calculate pi to infinity. Please advise"

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 6, 2019

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Uthor posted:

stock run flat tires than my old FWD with snow tires.

Well duh lol. You gotta get good tires. Run flats are dog poo poo on snow. Seams like you want us to talk you out of buying a Subaru but i wont. Go with your heart.
The h6's are quick.

Heres option C tho. Get a beater 4wd truck for the winter months on the cheap, Roll over snow drifts not giving a single gently caress and spend the rest of the insurance money as a down payment on a fun car.

Comedy option : Audi S8

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

`Nemesis posted:

I want AWD because it is convenient. We have snowy winters, I street park, and the plows make big gently caress off mounds of snow. The plows do not come back later to bat clean up, there's too many parked cars anyways, so you have to get back into a snowy spot at some point, and get out, on repeat until it melts or evaporates.

In all honesty, I don't see why it matters why I want AWD. People by cars for all sorts of reason, with all sorts of capabilities, and much of it is driven by desire not utility. If car buying was purely utilitarian then no one would own a luxury vehicle. It's ok to have desires beyond plain utility.

Did you buy winter tires on your last car?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I COULD give advice about what to buy, but instead I'll jump on the "you don't need AWD" dog pile. Because you don't. If for some reason, you're insistent on a small manual car with AWD that's actually good in the snow... Uhhh... Focus RS?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

`Nemesis posted:

You aren't looking for advice, you're looking for applause for a decision you've already made. Enjoy your Subaru.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

`Nemesis posted:

In all honesty, I don't see why it matters why I want AWD.

Because most/many people who want AWD want it because they think it will make snow driving easy. When they are disabused of this notion then they save themselves money and open their options.

If you're wanting AWD because you just want it, that's fine, but no one did anything wrong by questioning you on this.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Preoptopus posted:

Followed you hear from AI. My 2 sents with AWD is getting flats and needing to replace all 4 tires because of one screw. A lot of AWD cars you see are like 80 percent FWD and 20 percent AWD only when you need it. So I guess figure out how important all time AWD is to you. Your Ford Escape for example didnt even have a transfer case to the rear instead they have a weird clutch set up on the rear diff that actuates when the front looses traction.

Subarus (ugh) everybody has a loving Subaru and its cause they are great cars but that fact alone puts me off. If you dont care about loosing your car in a sea of similarity i guess go for it for i cant say anything bad about em.
If I was dead set on an AWD car id be looking at lexus is250 or beemer 3 series with the x drive but thats just me.

Yea, the tire thing can be a maintenance concern, it's worth bringing up.

The car that I just lost was a Honda Accord, I'm used to blending in :)

FilthyImp posted:

Buy an H2 hummer with a Hemi and marvel at how much drive you have on all your wheels!

Because the people here generally know that AWD is an edge-case luxury that ends up costing you in maintenance, and that you're far better off getting a good set of seasonal Winter Tires instead of relying on the false confidence most drivers get when they have AWD.

If that's your preference, fine. But the folks here just want to save you money. It's like blundering into the thread about computer building and saying "I occasionally use photoshop. I'm dropping $8500 on a top of the line graphics card, watercooler, and CPU that will calculate pi to infinity. Please advise"

Sure, I could have said that, and they could have asked what my reasons were just as easily, but again, why does this matter? I'm going to spend about 15k on a car either way, so if buying a brand that isn't a Subaru is going to somehow save me money, that's what I'm actually interested in. I know certain Subarus had head gasket issues, and I know others had oil consumption issues, so if you're worried about saving people money then maybe do that instead of this?

zapplez posted:

Did you buy winter tires on your last car?

I did not have winter tires on the Accord, but I've had them on previous cars.

Preoptopus posted:

Well duh lol. You gotta get good tires. Run flats are dog poo poo on snow. Seams like you want us to talk you out of buying a Subaru but i wont. Go with your heart.
The h6's are quick.

Heres option C tho. Get a beater 4wd truck for the winter months on the cheap, Roll over snow drifts not giving a single gently caress and spend the rest of the insurance money as a down payment on a fun car.

Comedy option : Audi S8

Used truck prices seem to have rather poor value for what you get around here, and I'm not really interested in how a truck rides.

KillHour posted:

I COULD give advice about what to buy, but instead I'll jump on the "you don't need AWD" dog pile. Because you don't. If for some reason, you're insistent on a small manual car with AWD that's actually good in the snow... Uhhh... Focus RS?

A manual is an option, but I think i'd rather have an automatic. And no, I don't NEED AWD, but I want it. It doesn't have to be Subaru, I'm very much open to other brands that have AWD vehicles.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you want actual advice, answer the following:

What is your budget?
How much do you drive per year?
Rank the following in order of importance:
- sportiness
- looks/styling
- comfort/luxury
- tech
- fuel economy
- safety
- cargo space/practically

How many seats do you need that can reasonably be occupied by adults?
iPhone or Android?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

KillHour posted:

If you want actual advice, answer the following:

What is your budget? 15k or so. I have some flexibility, will not be financing.
How much do you drive per year? about 12k a year
Rank the following in order of importance:

- sportiness - not important
- looks/styling - kinda important, but more on a case by case basis. I think the Crosstrek is ugly, I don't like the previous boxy gen Ford Escape. I kinda like wagons and hatches more than sedans but its not that important. I had an Accord, which was nothing special in any regard.
- comfort/luxury - The average car ticks off enough boxes on the comfort scale to make me happy. I don't need anything super premium or luxurious.
- tech - A backup camera is nice, but not essential. I need to be able to stream music from my phone somehow, but there's a million aftermarket solutions to that so it's not a stress point. Adaptive cruise and that sort of thing isn't important to me.
- fuel economy - low 30s on the highway is decent.
- safety - important
- cargo space/practically - fairly important. I have a big dog and going on a trip usually involves a big rear end crate and supplies for him on top of anything I need.

How many seats do you need that can reasonably be occupied by adults? 4, comfortably.
iPhone or Android? iphone, but don't read much into that. People who care deeply about cell phones tend to be annoying :)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I wanted to know what phone you have because some manufacturers have car play but not Android auto, you weirdo.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

If someone comes it saying "hi I want a yellow car" you shouldn't rush out to tell them "NO YOU DON'T WANT YELLOW THAT'S A TERRIBLE COLOR". I mean you could but you shoudn't be surprised when someone isn't super polite in their repsonse. AWD helps with winter driving, but you should still get winter tires as well. AWD adds both to the initial cost and maintenance. See? Easy that's an easy thing to say. What happens is people want to say that but first want to go through the theater of having someone justify their desires.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 7, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

If someone comes it saying "hi I want a yellow car" you shouldn't rush out to tell them "NO YOU DON'T WANT YELLOW THAT'S A TERRIBLE COLOR". I mean you could but you shoudn't be surprised when someone isn't super polite in their repsonse. AWD helps with winter driving, but you should still get winter tires as well. AWD adds both to the initial cost and maintenance. See? Easy that's an easy thing to say. What happens is people want to say that but first want to go through the theater of having someone justify their desires.

This has been relitigated about a billion times. You're in the "give me financial advice about cars" thread and thinking you need AWD is one of the most common misconceptions that cost people thousands; yet they're all adamant about needing it because marketing tells them they do. It's drat near every other request in the thread so of course we're going to be dicks about it.

Enjoy your Subaru and/or VW.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The best car for you is probably an 3 or 4 year old Accord or Camry with winter tires.It will provide 90% of that extra traction you want with saving you 2 grand on the cost of AWD. It will fit in your price range while still being ultra-reliable while being good on gas and a safe car.

But If you are obsessed with AWD and don't want an suv, take your pick of Subaru (probably the best choice but can still have problems) or push your luck with VW or a luxury car brand. Good luck!

Also if you buy the car with AWD and don't invest in winter tires you are an idiot.

edit:

buy this car

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 7, 2019

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

I wanted to know what phone you have because some manufacturers have car play but not Android auto, you weirdo.

BMW :argh:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I came from a car with Android Auto to a BMW and don't miss it at all*. Auto is a terrible and inconsistent app.

*it is better at dealing with bad traffic than BMW 's GPS, but that is a few times a year issue for me.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I gotta say, CarPlay is pretty cool. It even lets me use WhatsApp!

Mostly I use it for the podcasts and maps, though. Probably good that they don't let me access Wikipedia on the thing.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

... I don't trust CVTs, but maybe I could be convinced otherwise ...

FWIW, Truedelta showed very few issues with the 2011+ Subaru CVTs. I have a 2012 Outback at 93k miles, and it has not needed any work on the CVT.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Ive probably posted this video half a dozen times in this thread already, but here it is again. AWD is probably the most misunderstood feature sold on cars today, and for some reason only Americans dont understand it. The entire rest of the world knows that its way better to have snow tires on a 2WD compared to all-seasons on a 4WD.

Behold, as the mighty AWD Subaru is slain by a lovely patch of ice, while a RWD BMW with winter tires doesnt even bat an eye:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STaximkaQxo

I drove a 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme in Colorado and Wyoming for 3 years in the winter and never once got stuck, because I bought winter tires. Ive seen a goddamn Jeep Cherokee get stuck in a parking lot because it had dogshit all-season tires.

Edit: if youre truly worried about getting stuck in ice or snow, the trick I learned from all the Rocky Mountain ski bums is to carry a bag of sand or kitty litter in your trunk. If you get stuck with your wheels spinning, pour the kitty litter around the spinning tire. Boom, instant traction.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 7, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think we've successfully beaten that horse to death by now. Besides, you're arguing with people who freely admit that they don't know enough about cars to pick an economy car without help, but refuse to believe that they could be wrong about a specific technical feature of cars and instead insist that we just couldn't possibly understand their situation.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

KillHour posted:

I think we've successfully beaten that horse to death by now.

Its been beaten so often in this thread that I think it outnumbers no rentals and no salvage titles.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Uthor posted:

I came from a car with Android Auto to a BMW and don't miss it at all*. Auto is a terrible and inconsistent app.

*it is better at dealing with bad traffic than BMW 's GPS, but that is a few times a year issue for me.

I would have agreed on you based on the GMs with andriod auto I rented a few years ago, but in the rental cars I get now, it is really nice.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
To the AWD in the city guy, if you're plowed into the mounds a Subaru isn't getting out, you need like, ideally, a tractor

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also the thing in the US is we have a lot of areas that get substantial snowstorms but can't guarantee weather every day below 45F for more than a few weeks at a time, so snow tires are out.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

shovelbum posted:

Also the thing in the US is we have a lot of areas that get substantial snowstorms but can't guarantee weather every day below 45F for more than a few weeks at a time, so snow tires are out.

We do? ...Where?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

We do? ...Where?

Appalachia and the lower Midwest, Eastern seaboard from NYC to Maryland

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

shovelbum posted:

Appalachia and the lower Midwest, Eastern seaboard from NYC to Maryland

I think you'd be okay putting snow tires on in Baltimore from maybe end of November to beginning of March. It's not like driving them once or twice in warm weather is immediately going to ruin them.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

I think you'd be okay putting snow tires on in Baltimore from maybe end of November to beginning of March. It's not like driving them once or twice in warm weather is immediately going to ruin them.

Yeah but a few weeks of commuting at 50F will, won't it?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

shovelbum posted:

No. The recommendation from tire manufacturers is to switch out to winter tires as soon as the weather starts regularly dipping below 45. Typical Summer tires are designed to have optimal grip when the weather is between 50 and 100 degrees. Winter tires are fine in 50 degree weather. I assume by ruin, you mean marbling, not just increased wear. That won't start to happen until the rubber gets to around 80-90 degrees for most winter tires. There will be marginally increased wear above the 50 or so, but nothing you'll notice in a few weeks.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

shovelbum posted:

No. But if you're really worried, the Nokian WR gets a mountain-snowflake symbol but can run year round. (You will hate the poo poo out of it in the summer though)
Won't be as good as a full on snow, but way, way better than any all-season.

That said, I changed my Hakkas in mid October and April and was basically fine when I lived somewhere with winter.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

nm posted:

I would have agreed on you based on the GMs with andriod auto I rented a few years ago, but in the rental cars I get now, it is really nice.

Using it in an unfamiliar car is a nice bonus. Get in, plug in your phone, bam, all your music and nav stuff just like you are used to.

It's great when I'm using my mom's Honda. But, if I plug in, it automatically connects to the Bluetooth and makes my phone the primary, which screws up her phone from working properly. I need to manually delete my phone when I'm done, which is a pain.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Android Auto is amazing and i will fight you if you say otherwise!

Just kidding. It's really nice, but how much hassle it is often depends upon decisions the car manufacturer made...like this default BT device thing.

I can't think of any hassles I have with it in our Ford Explorer. It just works and works like you'd expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

For me, it "just worked" about half the time and it was always a crap shoot at which voice command would fail. I was constantly getting "I don't know how to do that" messages for things that worked the day before.

And I hated selecting music to the point that I would create playlist before getting in the car so I didn't have to deal with it. Most of the time I would play mp3s through the SD card and only use Auto for navigation despite that requiring me to completely switch interfaces to the stock system to do anything with the music.