Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

New low gravity vertical course:

Star Goombas: Episode I

2M0-GSM-DRG

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Made my second level, now with a really tight theme and I think a more appropriate enemy density and also variety of challenges. Let me know what you think guys.

B15-NHP-2KG

Pretty decent simple and short level. You have this cluster of two bricks with a background element behind them near the beginning of the level, which is Mario visual language for THERE IS DEFINITELY SOMETHING IN HERE, but there isn't. There really should be a 1-Up or something, because the bill and koopa troopa going under them present a fun little challenge. Also, not a fan of the blind jump after the bonus room—yes, you're fine if you grab the star and blindly jump forward, but you fall in a pit if you blindly jump straight down.

absolutely anything posted:

it's time for Bones

Loved it aside from a couple small issues. I hadn't really messed around with the Dry Bones shell before now, and this worked very well as a tutorial. The coaster was a fun challenge and the perfect way to end the level. However, the beginning is a little enemy spammy if you don't jump across the pit right away, and the timing on the first saw after the checkpoint is perhaps harder than it needs to be—it looks like you should be able to clear it by tapping down instead of holding, but the moving platform seems like it's slightly too slow to work. I died I think five times in my attempt at this level, and four were in this same spot.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

The Lost City of Sobekoopa
Course ID: SQV-YJ6-2LF
Difficulty: Medium
Multiplayer Friendly: Probably not

This was originally my Jam level for this week, but I didn't really end up using switches that much, so I just went with my own direction on it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Perilous Pipes: Tough level, pretty fun, it has an issue at the beginning with platform spawning though. If you rush through and ignore the mushroom, the platforms spawn fine, but if they get out of sync it can be impossible to get to the third one.

The World's Hardest Puzzle: Eh, didnt really find this worth grinding away for the "hard" puzzle.

Ice Infestation: Id like to take this time to reiterate that I am very pro checkpoint. Decent level beyond that though.

Airship Rumble!: Cute concept, interesting boss fight, crippled by the fact that I went into The Wrong Door and had to redo the entire thing.

Thwack-a-Thwomp: Solid concept, solid execution, nothing bad to say about this one

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

eonwe posted:

Okay I'm streaming more levels again

https://www.twitch.tv/saiyanprideparade

Thanks for playing my second level! Sorry I couldn't watch, my internet has been garbage today. I managed to get audio for about half of it but it was in and out. I hope you had fun!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Mario. It's serious. That old castle? The demons are coming from it. Can you please get in there and stop whatever's causing this madness? Please- for everyone's sake!

The Demon Lords Castle

I was finally able to get this idea out and in a place where I'm satisfied. Vaguely castlevania inspired you have to platform through a few small biomes rooms and there's a exciting 2 phase boss fight that I spent a LOT of time getting just right.

There's a refreshing checkpoint and a hidden bonus or two so I think it's content rich :buddy:

This was cool. I liked how you could adjust the difficulty of the skewer room by going and hitting the switch, and I can honestly say that was the best boss fight I've seen all day.

it's time for Bones

I absolutely loved this level. It's the first I've seen that eve used the dead bones mechanic and you managed to base the whole level around it. That roller coaster section was epic. Thank you for your tutorial tips at the beginning. I didn't even know you could control the timing on it so I don't know if I would have known to tap if that wasn't there.

I didn't realize this wasn't yours and you're just posting lovely levels. Thisl has some sort of glitch where you can go into an underwater section with nothing in it that had the scroll locked so you can't get out of it.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

2M0-GSM-DRG

I'm not a huge fan of the night sky gimmick but I think this was the most effective use of it I've encountered. Nice job.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Doomykins posted:

Undead Burg (6HW-TLK-8SF) by Flying Zamboni: Alright I'm gonna tell you what you wanna hear: I grinned when I recognized what that burner represented. The rest of the level is serviceable, although I got hit by off-screen Bowser fire at Big Boom Boom. I appreciate the idea behind that Bowser being to go under him but this is mostly a boss spam stage. Put Boss Music icons inside the bosses themselves to keep the music playing until they die. Give a try to mixing in different block types and semi-solid platforms to break up your fields of hard blocks a bit more, a little goes a long way. I don't know if it's intended but the Bowser Jr Duo can be pulled one at a time. I mean maybe it is, that was a big part of cautious Dark Souls play. Still waiting for that first break out Mario Souls stage that includes the Angry Sun.

Thanks for the feedback! I may have to adjust the big Bowser section so that the entire area is much lower than everything else and see if that prevents him from hitting the other areas while off-screen.

Regarding breaking up the visuals of the stage, I think I'm going to put everything after the bridge Bowser in a sub area and utilize the ghost house background. I'm going to expand it into a vertical climb through a representation of the cathedral area culminating in the last fight on the roof. This will hopefully provide an overall better pacing for the level as well as make it more visually interesting.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

CascadeBeta posted:

This was originally my Jam level for this week, but I didn't really end up using switches that much, so I just went with my own direction on it.

Visually the level design was great! Good flow in the first half, the second half is definitely more challenging. The section in the picture below with the coins at the bottom caused my first death, which felt cheap to me. The part with the Magikoopa was cool in that I was small Mario but the Magikoopa's wand hit a block that bestowed me a Super Mushroom. I was too much of a weenie to try for the high flagpole route at the end :P

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Lastdancer posted:

Visually the level design was great! Good flow in the first half, the second half is definitely more challenging. The section in the picture below with the coins at the bottom caused my first death, which felt cheap to me. The part with the Magikoopa was cool in that I was small Mario but the Magikoopa's wand hit a block that bestowed me a Super Mushroom. I was too much of a weenie to try for the high flagpole route at the end :P

I was worried about something like that happening with the two layers for platforming in that part. I didn't even think of how that would look from above like that. I need more level design practice, but I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

it's time for Bones

Tried this based off of J-Spot's impression of it and had a good time. The roller coaster was indeed epic.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I made a silly level:

My Friend Bill
A story about a man trying to get home and his best friend who's willing to give up everything to help him...

QRR-R2Y-DRG

It's easy if you just run

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Played some great levels on my stream today, and I cut them down for some VODs if the creators weren't watching.

Some (all?) of the videos are annoyingly 30fps still, but maybe YouTube just needs some time to sort it out... or they don't allow 480p videos to go 60fps idk

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Reuploaded my one level with some of the kinks ironed out. I think it’s more straightforward now. Feedback is greatly appreciated on this

Trials and Incantations Redux

Code: 00M-QK6-8NG

Thanks in advance and hope this one is better for you guys.

Hope this is better for you zfleeman and thanks for the trial run on the original level

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Consider this in even more of a beta than the randomizer, but it works (for me :v:)!

https://randomactsofmario.com/idea-generator

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

zfleeman posted:

Played some great levels on my stream today, and I cut them down for some VODs if the creators weren't watching.

Defeat Mr. Mole's Army by dbhjed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-m_ETRTiyM

Thanks for trying my level out, I reuploaded a new version with arrows that point to the coins and added a reset at the end if you didn't get all three.

6Y8-6MH-MQG is the new code for Defeat Mr. Mole's Army.

If any one wants to try the new one out, especially if you tried it before, let me know if you find the arrows and reset better. If you haven't tried it before let me know if you still get stuck at the end if you didn't get the red coins.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Thanks again zfleeman, the stream cut out for me, but I was able to watch the whole thing in the clip. I appreciate the feedback.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

lunar detritus posted:

Consider this in even more of a beta than the randomizer, but it works (for me :v:)!

This is cool but this image is missing: https://randomactsofmario.com/generator/gizmo/dotted_line_block_nsmbu_icon.png

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm going to try something different and alternate random levels with recent thread posted levels so people who have just posted can get some feedback. Maybe this is silly.

path of skull
2Q5-2HM-7VF
By: Crusader

Not too rough for a a level that featured some heavy bullet spam. It kind of made the skull rides redundant.

CascadeBeta posted:

I was enjoying the level structure up until the boss fight. Then I started enjoying it in a way you didn't intend as I worked to manipulate that magikoopa to help me disassemble your level.

Castle Siege
9C6-29X-DLF
By: Flying Zamboni

I kind of skipped the first half of your stage by taking the clown car at the start and just making a run for it. Inside the castle was pretty cool, though.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

2M0-GSM-DRG

Hurray for story structured levels! Not too challenging but that was good pacing.

Kamek's Magic Mayhem Airship
068-1SP-RKF
By: MonsterEnvy

More playing with magikoopas to see what damage I could do. Though in this case you used the ground to lock me in.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Mario. It's serious. That old castle? The demons are coming from it. Can you please get in there and stop whatever's causing this madness? Please- for everyone's sake!

The Demon Lords Castle

I was finally able to get this idea out and in a place where I'm satisfied. Vaguely castlevania inspired you have to platform through a few small biomes rooms and there's a exciting 2 phase boss fight that I spent a LOT of time getting just right.

There's a refreshing checkpoint and a hidden bonus or two so I think it's content rich :buddy:

Nice set of red coin challenges and it was interesting that the on/off room changed things within the other red coin rooms. I know you intended it, but that boss is a bit of an anticlimax.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

CascadeBeta posted:

A good map with a strong theme and fun extras to search for as well as alternate routes and alternate routes based on movement skill! The SMB1 desert tile set seems to bring out a great energy in creators.

Bowser's Boss Bash Castle (WBM-75X-MHF) by MonsterEnvy: Dev Skip Found/10, 5 second world record set :c00lbutt: I went back and ran the level legit. The power up spacing at the start is kind of odd, the actual power ups are decently spaced but the 10+ dead coin blocks seem superfluous. The Kamek room looks like an uncommon soft lock if you kill them too fast and end up Small Mario(i.e. get hit by them on the approach for a jump.) I'm going to cite you Dev Skip/10 again for not braving your own snake block gauntlet to upload, for shame! It's even an acceptably good one if a bit long!

I'd like to reiterate to everybody that Boom Boom himself is usually not so interesting that he can justify being the primary challenge of non-finale areas. Flying Boom Boom dies automatically to pits/lava after a single hit on auto-scroll/platform scroll areas. At that point you may as well use a variety of winged enemies or rail obstacles. Both Flying Boom Booms could be stripped from this map and little is lost. The duo boss fight was good, a good use of stacking. The boss spam that follows suffers the same problem as all boss rush maps: if you keep your fire flower it's a simple chore, if you get hit at any point it's a very long and dull chore. Using a parachute for a big time delay on the Boom Boom Trio fight was very smart but by this point boy am I sick of Boom Boom and of course my checkpoint flag is behind two Bowser Jrs. I actually lost interest immediately when I saw the Bowser fight and exited out. Trim the bosses heavily, shorten the last fight and shorten the snake block gauntlet and stage quality instantly doubles. The ideas were here, the motivation wasn't.

Thwomp Stomp Castle (9HQ-KR9-LHG) by Gropemotron: A rigorous study in Thwomps and great use of sideways Thwomp and Surprise Parachute! A good old country kitchen classic Mario map.

Mario's Aerial Heist (JGL-L8J-GLF) by Tykero: I thought this map was a looking a little long in the tooth by Meowser and then the ! block smashed me into the Clear Pipe and killed me. I redid it! I now had a key and two rooms with high jumps I'd never make(Edit: I guess 3D world has that super spin jump? Whoops.) I decided to see if the stage got better any further or if I could find a Cat Bell and was greeted with a fast small snake block platform gauntlet leading to overblown enemy spam. I've found two headaches before I could find a single one of the four collectables I need to beat this stage, the world record is over five minutes and collectable stages can't use checkpoint flags. Another case of clever ideas that need a lot of editing for a snappier stage. I mean I like the take on 3D World Airships, using the Homing Bills to make jumps(though you can ignore that on the very first), the creation of the ship exhaust pipe. That's great. I just can't actually play this stage.

Mega Mario (197-BM1-DGG) by Vanilla Ice: Woah! I like this one so much I want to copy it! At first I was like "jesus christ that's a lot of enemies!", then I slowed down and appreciated all the power ups you gave me. Taking each room with careful regard for the patterns and timing as well as clearing what enemies I could made for tense, wonderful rooms and a second attempt clear. Great mixture of reflex action and mental action. The theming and aesthetics are on point and you even made a good Boom Boom spam room, as it's self contained, it's the entire gimmick of that small room and you threw in a charity shroom for an extra damage boost! A nicely done Bowser room, it's easy to damage boost through but I wager that is intended after clearing the other rooms. I had another case of "off screen Bowser Fire" through a properly made screen dividing wall so at this point I must assume it's just an engine problem(or an homage to how Bowser shot long distance flame down the halls in SMB1?)

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 7, 2019

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I recalled in videos of Super Mario Maker 1 downloading levels and looking at them in the creator. I can’t seem to do that in this game. Is it a protection option?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Good Sphere posted:

I recalled in videos of Super Mario Maker 1 downloading levels and looking at them in the creator. I can’t seem to do that in this game. Is it a protection option?

Yeah, you can't open downloaded levels. I don't know why since it's not like you could upload them as your own in the first game. I guess they don't want people figuring out the trick or dev path for a level anymore.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Good Sphere posted:

Presumably. Where your hidden blocks that lead directly to the exit are is privileged information.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Thanks, fixed it!

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I just started work on my Multiplayer Versus level. Are there any do's and don'ts I should be aware of? (beyond "just don't")

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Lastdancer posted:

I just started work on my Multiplayer Versus level. Are there any do's and don'ts I should be aware of? (beyond "just don't")

Shoot for normal or easy difficulty or it will never show up in rotation.

My easy level has over 100 multiplayer matches, the normal levels each have at least a couple, the expert levels have none, and my super expert level has one because it was briefly considered easy due to the first player managing to one-shot it.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 7, 2019

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

As much as I liked the first SMM, this one is even better. I still haven't even touched any content outside of the story mode and it's been so drat fun.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Lastdancer posted:

I've seen a lot of stages with gimmicks that only benefit the current leader, i.e. whoever gets the early lead will just always win. Stuff like moving platforms that take off when the first person arrives, or even mechanics that actively let you screw with your opposition when you're in the lead. That's a good idea in general but it should definitely be balanced so the ones coming from behind also get to attack back. Maybe via on/off switches, since those will activate globally across the whole course.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Made a new level that uses the hammer a little bit more than the concept levels you see plaguing endless. Theme is going into an ant colony to exterminate the queen.

Ant Touch This
2CB-MMH-RQF

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Sinten posted:

As much as I liked the first SMM, this one is even better. I still haven't even touched any content outside of the story mode and it's been so drat fun.

Story mode was a big plus. I hope they expand on it when they invariably release DLC. I also hope they do like they did with Mario Maker and patch in some free stuff. I think red coins, checkpoints and crushers were all patched in after a few months.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Blitz 1 is now over. Now, I've added an option for "Personal" Blitzes which you can check off if you're using Lunar Detrius new randomizer:

lunar detritus posted:

And I'll also add this link to the OP.

e: Oh, man this looks really great.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Dbhjed posted:

Thanks for trying my level out, I reuploaded a new version with arrows that point to the coins and added a reset at the end if you didn't get all three.

6Y8-6MH-MQG is the new code for Defeat Mr. Mole's Army.

If any one wants to try the new one out, especially if you tried it before, let me know if you find the arrows and reset better. If you haven't tried it before let me know if you still get stuck at the end if you didn't get the red coins.

Loved this map except for that first red coin challenge. That last switch part for the shell kept me trying up until I had 30 or so seconds left on the clock. It was rough.

Loved it though and left a doodle comment for you

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Random GoonLevels!

Eviction Notice
Excellent level design, and fun concept.

DH 1-1
Really nailed the SMB1 spirit, and the slightly dialed up chaos (Lakota fireballs) and wackiness (floaty goombas and powerups) were a nice touch.

Hurry Up and Wait!
Brilliant concept well executed. The Thwomp vineswing was a really neat idea.

Four Horseman
Loved the concept. Felt like an Open World level, and the checkpoint being available whenever you want it is a great idea. Also loved the springs serving as a kind of a drum roll when you speed through the finish line.

Deep Into the Frostwoods
Neat level! The 50 coin was in a good challenging spot.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Uploaded my third level.

Old School Athletic Part 2
BPW-XD5-PYG

It's a sequel of sorts to a course I made in the original titled Old School Athletic. It's a SMB themed athletic course. It's speedrun friendly. The clear-check time was 20.638 seconds. I think the original attempt was a frame faster, but I forgot to include any 1-ups, so I added some and re-uploaded. A real pain in the butt to execute it perfectly, but there's probably an easier route than the one I'm taking myself.

Also, is it just me, or do maker points only refresh when you close and re-open the game? I was stuck at 600 for a while, even with a number of likes coming in. Closed, re-opened and I'm in the 800s now.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Dumb question but how do I actually use the switch tracks? I have an On-Off block but it won't let me change a track part into the switch gate.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Artix posted:

Dumb question but how do I actually use the switch tracks? I have an On-Off block but it won't let me change a track part into the switch gate.

The only options are when the part of the track you select is horizontal or vertical, and they only branch diagonally off of that point.

Semisomnum
Aug 22, 2006

Half Asleep

I made a boss rush style level to mess around with some superball flower ideas.

Superball Boss Rush
Level ID:XS6-R8Y-WSG
Diffifculty: Moderate
Mutiplayer: Probably not.

The third boss (the Muncher stack) may be a little bit too difficult. If you have trouble with it try standing in the center of the platforms and bouncing the shots off them so they fire at an upward angle. You can also disable the lower cannons by breaking the blocks under them and you can kill the lower pirhanas without using any platforms.

Semisomnum fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 7, 2019

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

For example, you can force Mario to wall jump on the interior of a snake block by arranging it like this:

code:
#####
#...#
#...#
##.##
##.##
This is a good trick to use if you’re worried not enough players are skipping and booing your stage.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lastdancer posted:

Design around small Mario getting through with optional side power ups. Don't do anything that bottlenecks players; if people have to go through key doors or pulse on/off switches then it just becomes annoying. Goals aren't great because they're kind of confusingly implemented. And it has to be easy enough to be one-shotted by an average player in normal play to really get in the pool.

The best stages I've played have had varied terrain so it's not just running flat out and whoever takes the early lead automatically wins, they've had some skill based sections that allowed for recovery if screwed up, and they haven't had any traps which make all of the players wait for someone to be willing to let everyone else go ahead as they double back to open the path.

Edit: one more good thing for everyone to be aware of regarding multiplayer. At the end of versus when you rate a map, you are solely rating it based on what you think of it as a multiplayer versus level. Any boo or like isn't applied to the level itself, which you can see when you go to your recently played list. So be sure that when you play you rate on that.

nrook posted:

For example, you can force Mario to wall jump on the interior of a snake block by arranging it like this:

code:
#####
#...#
#...#
##.##
##.##
This is a good trick to use if you’re worried not enough players are skipping and booing your stage.

You're a monster and I don't want you abusing my snakes anymore.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Kirios posted:

Ant Touch This
2CB-MMH-RQF

Great tutorial level for the builder Mario powerup. Never really used it before this and got a decent feel for it now. Great theme as well

GI_Clutch posted:

Uploaded my third level.

Old School Athletic Part 2
BPW-XD5-PYG

Definitely felt like old school Mario and captured the feel of stage 1-3 of the original game while keeping to its own design. Not to hard and felt just right. Great job.