Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Julius CSAR posted:

All right, best NPR I’ve ever heard was way out in Western Kansas near Scott City (basically where the aliens land in Footfall) and it was an extremely country guy and this a direct quote I will never forget, spelling out phonetically so you get a bit of his twang “Yur lissnin to Cuntry Swing and other thangs, starrrrin In spotlight today Miss Patsy Cliiiinne” and it was like four hours of Patsy Cline and Hank Williams. Good stuff.

Eastern Kansas NPR has (or maybe had) a show on Sunday evenings called The Retro Cocktail Hour that would play cabana club music from the 50s. It was a delight.

Washington DC's station, meanwhile, fills its Sunday evenings with lovely public domain detective serials from like the 1930s and they all suck balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Luxrage posted:

I haven't had a magical moment like that on any other NPR show, Car Talk was one of a kind.

I still listen to their archived stuff pretty regularly.

Any time someone called and said, 'I drive a Peugeot" and Tommy would just start laughing...

If you didn't laugh when Tommy laughed, something inside you was broken :lol:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Can we change this to favorite car talk moments thread?

I have two. The first is a caller asking if they can tow a boat with their Ford Tempo. Tom and Ray pause for a moment say "no" and then take the next call.

Second-best was a lady calling about getting her 16 year old daughter a BMW Z3 and when Tom and Ray were concerned with how much trouble she could get in with it the woman's response was that the speed limit around them is only 55. Proceed to Tom and Ray laughing for what seemed like forever and saying something along the lines of "lady, you need parenting talk, we just know cars."

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 6, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Even when it was still airing, they would still run old reruns all of the time. It took me years to realize they were reruns, and for the longest time I just thought that NPR listeners all just drove ancient cars.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The NPR sustaining member gift is a 1987 Saab

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I used to play a game where I'd try to guess if the caller had a Saab or a Volvo.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

It normally sounds like “Rerrrrrr-AH!” but lately it’s been more like “Row-row-row—rooooo!”

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Bonzo posted:

But what really did it for me is that I never knew what Ira Glass looked like. Once I did it was over. His voice and looks make me think its Fred Armisen doing a character so I just tune out.

I recall an episode of This American Life where that literally occurred....

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

He 100% did it

Now, I don't think he got a fair trial, on account of his lawyer being a moron, the cops having a lot of circumstantial evidence, and the overt racism of the case

But, yeah, he for sure murdered that girl

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
The best thing about Car Talk is that both those dudes actually hated cars, lmao

dpush
Nov 10, 2009
This just in, I came home and my dog was acting weird so I took it to the vet. It turns out the dog was high as poo poo and the bill was $300. But its totally not my fault he must have found a joint on the ground at the park. We totally don't smoke weed at NPR.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

ElGroucho posted:

He 100% did it

Now, I don't think he got a fair trial, on account of his lawyer being a moron, the cops having a lot of circumstantial evidence, and the overt racism of the case

But, yeah, he for sure murdered that girl

Same way I feel about Mumia Abu-Jamal. Almost certainly did it; but he was illegally railroaded anyway.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Didn't Serial try to follow one of Adnan's appeals (maybe the last one?) and it immediately got shot down?

Serial made the right choice IMO to focus on (basically) poor people going through the justice system in season 3. Not only is it more interesting and shorter in form, the handwringing is more over what a lovely time they have of it whether they're obviously guilty or not, and opens the question about whether some larger sense of justice is being served. But of course they can only publish it for a month and then they're gone for a year. I'm sure they individually have other projects they're working on.

Feels like a long time since I've been subjected to a MailChimp ad.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Communist Walrus posted:

Eastern Kansas NPR has (or maybe had) a show on Sunday evenings called The Retro Cocktail Hour that would play cabana club music from the 50s. It was a delight.

Washington DC's station, meanwhile, fills its Sunday evenings with lovely public domain detective serials from like the 1930s and they all suck balls.

Retro Cocktail Hour is still on and it’s still fantastic. He’s very fond of dipping into the (many) soundtracks from Cowboy Bebop

In fact everyone in this thread should listen to RCH right drat now

https://exchange.prx.org/series/7960-the-retro-cocktail-hour

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Julius CSAR posted:

Retro Cocktail Hour is still on and it’s still fantastic. He’s very fond of dipping into the (many) soundtracks from Cowboy Bebop

In fact everyone in this thread should listen to RCH right drat now

https://exchange.prx.org/series/7960-the-retro-cocktail-hour

Goddamn, I love this poo poo. There was a similar show on WRAS (I think) in Atlanta called Martinis Con Queso. When my wife and I would be driving to her lovely job as a manager at a Hancock Fabrics (where I was the only male employee...I came in on Saturdays to help out...long story) we would listen to it and loved it.

PS: Retro Cocktail Hour show archive available here.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

When I try to remember car talk, all I can dig up are the words “dimly lit quonset hut”.

Memory is fickle.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Kamala Harris walks the beautiful line between having safe palatable policies while having a black female identity that is more important than policies

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Kazak posted:

Kamala Harris walks the beautiful line between having safe palatable policies while having a black female identity that is more important than policies

same

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
*Bernie takes lead in polls, leftists online going crazy, demonstrations and rallies planned across US, fundraising goes bonkers, topic is utterly unavoidable*

Today on All Things Considered, Mayor Pete Buttigieg stops by to give us his recipe for killer nachos, and we discuss the growing extreme-left movement inside the democratic party by analyzing the rise of Elizabeth Warren, its most prominent figure

e. and this is Kai Ryssdal, today on Marketplace: Is homeless death... good for local economies? Meet the bipartisan group out of Detroit... whose recent findings might just surprise you.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 8, 2019

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

I'm Zoe Chace, a political reporter, and this week I'm going to bring you a story about Dave Weigel, a political reporter! You may not know this, but political reporters are the most interesting and important people.

dpush
Nov 10, 2009
Today on NPR a retarded sjw gets pissed off about the word crazy, and it turns out that if you are a criminal the police might be able to tell by looking at your drivers license.

Im Nadthaniel Normandy-StinkFlea for Narcissistic Panhandler Radio.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

dpush posted:

Today on NPR a retarded sjw gets pissed off about the word crazy, and it turns out that if you are a criminal the police might be able to tell by looking at your drivers license.

This post says a lot more about you than you think.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah wow

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

doctorfrog posted:

Didn't Serial try to follow one of Adnan's appeals (maybe the last one?) and it immediately got shot down?

Serial made the right choice IMO to focus on (basically) poor people going through the justice system in season 3. Not only is it more interesting and shorter in form, the handwringing is more over what a lovely time they have of it whether they're obviously guilty or not, and opens the question about whether some larger sense of justice is being served. But of course they can only publish it for a month and then they're gone for a year. I'm sure they individually have other projects they're working on.

Feels like a long time since I've been subjected to a MailChimp ad.

"S Town" is a great listen and also focuses on poor people in the justice system. I can't really describe the rest of the podcast without spoiling it. I will say that they were correct in releasing all the episodes at once because if they didn't social media would have hosed up the lives of a few people for no reason.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

dpush posted:

and im Jaames Trenton-Fritz, what will your order be sir?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Bonzo posted:

"S Town" is a great listen and also focuses on poor people in the justice system. I can't really describe the rest of the podcast without spoiling it. I will say that they were correct in releasing all the episodes at once because if they didn't social media would have hosed up the lives of a few people for no reason.

ah yes, s town. 8 hours of a new york journalist gawking at the spectacle of "a quirky intelligent person....in the south?!?!? :eyepop:"

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Breakfast All Day posted:

24 hours of a new york journalist gawking at the spectacle of "a quirky intelligent person....in the south?!?!? :eyepop:"

This........is NPR.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
The Serial Podcast always seemed like some deeply obnoxious white savior poo poo to me.

Then I saw a picture of the lady who does it and I realized that I almost certainly right. She looks like the professor who got MeToo'd for forcing herself on that grad student.

Which speaking of while trying to remember that woman's name I googled her and saw this gem on Wikipedia

quote:

Ronell is slated to return to teaching at NYU in the fall of 2019. Her course, "Unsettled Scores: Theories of Grievance, Stuckness, & Boundary Troubles" was advertised on campus with a flyer asking: "How have we secretly internalized penitentiary structures?"

These loving people never learn ANYTHING.

dpush
Nov 10, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

This post says a lot more about you than you think.

Sorry i should have said "the C word".

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Today on NPR we will mention that Bill Clinton flew on Epstein's plane but not any of the Trump allegations wrt Epstein.

And now back to you.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I'm proudly advertising that we're going to dedicate a whole hour to "civility in politics" featuring do nothing now ex rep Bob corker. :psyduck:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

dpush posted:

there's a line, and you crossed it mr limbaugh

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Bonzo posted:

I stopped listening to S Town after four episodes. Did anything happen after that?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I listened to 2 episodes of season 3 and didn't get poo poo out of it. It's basically a white lady being like, "Wow, did you guys know that the poor are getting hosed by the system??"

No poo poo, lady, welcome to America.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ElGroucho posted:

I listened to 2 episodes of season 3 and didn't get poo poo out of it. It's basically a white lady being like, "Wow, did you guys know that the poor are getting hosed by the system??"

No poo poo, lady, welcome to America.

Hey, it's a potentially useful primer for downwardly mobile citizens. Also give some listeners that good ol' "there but for the grace of God" feeling to get them through their commutes.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
What's rarely talked about are all the upsides to facial recognition software

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Sweet. I know all about losing funding.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Code Jockey posted:

*Bernie takes lead in polls, leftists online going crazy, demonstrations and rallies planned across US, fundraising goes bonkers, topic is utterly unavoidable*

Today on All Things Considered, Mayor Pete Buttigieg stops by to give us his recipe for killer nachos, and we discuss the growing extreme-left movement inside the democratic party by analyzing the rise of Elizabeth Warren, its most prominent figure

e. and this is Kai Ryssdal, today on Marketplace: Is homeless death... good for local economies? Meet the bipartisan group out of Detroit... whose recent findings might just surprise you.

gently caress. :ocelot:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Les Os posted:

And after that, a story on China's citizen score. Could a similar system work in America? Our consultant says yes, definitely, for many good reasons which he will share with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Les Os posted:

More juggalos?

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/07/juggalo-makeup-facial-recognition/