Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Doc M posted:

Speaking of the LP Zone, I always thought it was interesting how most people in the new posters' introduction thread seemed to believe the LP subforum was a really lovely place to post your LPs, with unreasonable quality requirements and a habit of running you out of the subforum if your content didn't live up to these standards. While the subforum definitely had that vibe for a couple of years, things had become considerably more chill long before LP Zone got started.

One thing I did notice in certain threads (on other subforums, not LP) when the LP Zone was mentioned, someone would always mockingly bring up how the LP Zone mandates content/trigger warnings, e.g. "lol they have a GTA thread with a trigger warning". That was my SA LP I dumped on the Zone in its early days for a few extra views, and I just wanted to be safe because the rules were extremely ambiguous regarding what constituted the kind of content that would require a warning (since then I've gone back to remove some of the warnings that turned out to be unnecessary). I made a couple of SA posts about that at one point that I regret posting, because even though I was only frustrated about the poorly written rules, those posts were pretty easy to misconstrue as me being against content warnings in general which was never the intention.

Yeah, the only thing I don't like about LP Zone is their software making it all continuous scroll. Makes it really annoying to resume an LP on a different device as you can't bookmark a page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

quote:

LP Zone

I never knew about LP Zone, but taking a look at it, I recognize a lot of names of people posting there (Mr. DJB, Nidoking, Playable Passion, Ironicus, kalonZombie, YouEvilTwin, Danaru).

Looking at the SA LP sub-forum, though, some of them seem to be still posting LPs there as well, so...? :shrug:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Max Wilco posted:

I never knew about LP Zone, but taking a look at it, I recognize a lot of names of people posting there (Mr. DJB, Nidoking, Playable Passion, Ironicus, kalonZombie, YouEvilTwin, Danaru).

Looking at the SA LP sub-forum, though, some of them seem to be still posting LPs there as well, so...? :shrug:

There's nothing prohibiting posting on multiple sites for extra views, think of it like back in the old days people uploaded to more than just YouTube.

The endless scrolling is really bad though but they can't do anything about it since the Dev of the forum system they picked hates pages with a burning passion for some reason, so they can't really do screenshot LP without risking crashing browsers.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Not everybody bailed entirely. Mainly a core group that are all closer friends. Lp.zone wasn't meant to be a wholesale replacement of the subforum but just somewhere away from the more cynical / dickish SA culture. Things just gotexpedited when poo poo went down.

And yeah, not gonna lie, the discourse software kinda sucks and I wish they'd gone with more traditional forum style

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Yeah, if you're doing a video LP on SA you might as well dump your updates on the Zone as well because you can just copy-paste everything as is except for smilies. Screenshot LPs are doable, but the forum software just isn't suited for them so I haven't bothered.

It's not like you get that many views or comments on the Zone anyway unless you're Chip Cheezum, but it's not a big deal to crosspost your VLP stuff.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Doc M posted:

Yeah, if you're doing a video LP on SA you might as well dump your updates on the Zone as well because you can just copy-paste everything as is except for smilies. Screenshot LPs are doable, but the forum software just isn't suited for them so I haven't bothered.

It's not like you get that many views or comments on the Zone anyway unless you're Chip Cheezum, but it's not a big deal to crosspost your VLP stuff.

At first it struck me as being in violation of the rules about content dumping, but I then I realize that's moreso if you just drop links to your Youtube LP for additional clicks and end it there.

Doc M posted:

Speaking of the LP Zone, I always thought it was interesting how most people in the new posters' introduction thread seemed to believe the LP subforum was a really lovely place to post your LPs, with unreasonable quality requirements and a habit of running you out of the subforum if your content didn't live up to these standards. While the subforum definitely had that vibe for a couple of years, things had become considerably more chill long before LP Zone got started.

One thing I did notice in certain threads (on other subforums, not LP) when the LP Zone was mentioned, someone would always mockingly bring up how the LP Zone mandates content/trigger warnings, e.g. "lol they have a GTA thread with a trigger warning". That was my SA LP I dumped on the Zone in its early days for a few extra views, and I just wanted to be safe because the rules were extremely ambiguous regarding what constituted the kind of content that would require a warning (since then I've gone back to remove some of the warnings that turned out to be unnecessary). I made a couple of SA posts about that at one point that I regret posting, because even though I was only frustrated about the poorly written rules, those posts were pretty easy to misconstrue as me being against content warnings in general which was never the intention.

Garrand posted:

Not everybody bailed entirely. Mainly a core group that are all closer friends. Lp.zone wasn't meant to be a wholesale replacement of the subforum but just somewhere away from the more cynical / dickish SA culture. Things just gotexpedited when poo poo went down.

And yeah, not gonna lie, the discourse software kinda sucks and I wish they'd gone with more traditional forum style

I don't know how it is now, but at the time, the LP sub-forums strict rule-set I thought was to drum out low-effort garbage and trolling (remember Richard Gamingo?). I think it was an answer to the quality of YouTube LPs at the time, where it was mostly camcorders recordings, unedited footage of constant failures, and obnoxious gimmicks; the idea being to dissuade that sort of thing from happening on SA.

The trade-off, though, is that I imagine it put a damper on what you could do in the sub-forums, where if you had a bad mic, or tried to go outside the box a bit, people would slam it. I don't know, though, since I stopped following ongoing LPs a while ago (mostly I just read ones on the Archive).

Incidentally, Retsupurae hasn't posted a new video in almost a year now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

Incidentally, Retsupurae hasn't posted a new video in almost a year now.

Diabetus had a kid. They're working on something.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Max Wilco posted:

At first it struck me as being in violation of the rules about content dumping, but I then I realize that's moreso if you just drop links to your Youtube LP for additional clicks and end it there.
They don't allow Youtube dumps (or SA dumps either for that matter, that was just a thing in the first week so that the forum would have content and was prohibited afterwards) so in that way it's not too different to how things work on SA. If you start an LP more or less simultaneously on SA and LPZ, you'll be fine.

quote:

I don't know how it is now, but at the time, the LP sub-forums strict rule-set I thought was to drum out low-effort garbage and trolling (remember Richard Gamingo?). I think it was an answer to the quality of YouTube LPs at the time, where it was mostly camcorders recordings, unedited footage of constant failures, and obnoxious gimmicks; the idea being to dissuade that sort of thing from happening on SA.

The trade-off, though, is that I imagine it put a damper on what you could do in the sub-forums, where if you had a bad mic, or tried to go outside the box a bit, people would slam it. I don't know, though, since I stopped following ongoing LPs a while ago (mostly I just read ones on the Archive).
You are exactly correct on both counts. The strict ruleset was indeed supposed to weed out low-effort threads, and worked well for that purpose initially. However, some posters started taking it too far, and many perfectly decent LPs died before they could get started because the LPer "didn't bring anything to the table" or had slightly less than optimal screenshot/video/audio quality (or their commentary wasn't deemed good enough for whatever reason) and just got dogpiled by these guys. By the time the LP Zone became a thing, the LP subforum had already mellowed out considerably and was a lot more welcoming in general. Obviously we still have basic standards, but we're not assholes about it.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 6, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

(remember Richard Gamingo?).

Richard was a forum treasure and I will not tolerate any besmirchment of his character

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I don't really know what any of this. I mean, screenshot LP's? Lol come on. Not just putting stuff on YouTube? Whadaya using, like Google Video or something? Stage6? Ack ack ack

Anyway, here's a montage someone made of DarkSydePhil snorting for over 15 minutes. I'm not posting it because it's good, I'm posting it because I'm amazed someone would actually sit down and do such a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsl9FkEVyCo

How far can you get, scrubs?

Forget your excellently crafted and story driven screenshot bullshit. This is what the people want to see now. Adapt or die, fuckos. Git gud.

I mean it's even got Doug in the thumbnail, what more do you want?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Lot of decent LPs lost to google video.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Diabetus had a kid.

Oh chirst, all those years of jokes finally coming back to haunt him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I hadn't heard he had a kid, I thought he was busy with work. Slowbeef streams almost daily so I had wondered what was going on.

The LP forum is definitely not what it used to be since most of the bigger names either disappeared or left for other sites. I know some stopped LPing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kim Justice posted:

I don't really know what any of this. I mean, screenshot LP's? Lol come on. Not just putting stuff on YouTube? Whadaya using, like Google Video or something? Stage6? Ack ack ack

Anyway, here's a montage someone made of DarkSydePhil snorting for over 15 minutes. I'm not posting it because it's good, I'm posting it because I'm amazed someone would actually sit down and do such a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsl9FkEVyCo

How far can you get, scrubs?

Forget your excellently crafted and story driven screenshot bullshit. This is what the people want to see now. Adapt or die, fuckos. Git gud.

I mean it's even got Doug in the thumbnail, what more do you want?

I miss the days when tihydp was just a compilation of DSP being bad at games. Now its become its own thing where people are using it as a way to springboard their own form of comedy with their own in jokes and stuff. I recall putting one in the background for one game, and after about 5 minutes thought "wait what game is the video about?". The first 15 minutes of the video was about a completely different game then what the video was supposed to be about. They make fun of DSP for running jokes into the ground while they themselves run jokes into the ground, make fun of his overly long pre-game talk while they have overly long intros. Why the gently caress does a compilation have an intro?! Not even jokey intros, just "this is my brand" intros. Someone was in such a rush to get out a tihydp the description of the video was something like "yeah I messed up audio but its fixed next video." Dude, loving wait another hour and get that poo poo fixed, its not a race!

Also they mostly focused on egregious examples of him being bad, but now they're 12+ hour marathons of basically every moment that he fucks up, with some reference to another tihydp and other inner meme jokes made by each individual who made the video. And why do they still reference Pandalee? Its been like a year and a half now? Bury it already! Where are my ethics in TIHYDP!?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm grateful for the ones who stick around and give us some inside perspective. As for SA being awful, well... is it more awful than Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, etc?

Its not. Other social media sites are complete poo poo. At least we have actual moderation here. Just don't be stupid. Also Let's Play drama was really really loving dumb on this forum.

Its crazy to think that LPs were the future of internet content, and now that poo poo died down and doesn't get talked about nearly as much as it used to.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

nobody 'cool' would be dumb enough to doxx for the worst politician in the history of the united states hth

lmao FACTS

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well now there's just streaming which doesn't require actual editing experience and is a fraction of the work of LPs

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The meta has changed

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Its crazy to think that LPs were the future of internet content, and now that poo poo died down and doesn't get talked about nearly as much as it used to.

People streaming themselves playing games with audience participation through chat is pretty big, and lucrative for some.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well now there's just streaming which doesn't require actual editing experience and is a fraction of the work of LPs

The streams themselves might not need extensive editing, although it does require equipment and audience management work, but a lot of the repackaging to videos and such does.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes, but not a lot of LPers do that anymore

The only streamer I really watch any stuff from is allshamnowow, who was a guest on Retsutalk when that was still a thing. He had been periodically doing edited videos of his streams and putting them on YouTube, but has more recently said that it's too much work for no real return since you can't make anything off of YouTube revenue anymore.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dabir posted:

Lot of decent LPs lost to google video.

:sigh:

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

nobody 'cool' would be dumb enough to doxx for the worst politician in the history of the united states hth

I still think about how someone in the Steam thread made a bet where everyone who went on in it would have to buy him a game if Trump won, but he'd buy everyone games if Hilary won.

Unless I'm remembering wrong, he did feel bad about it when the election results rolled in.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Bunch of people toxxed for John McCain in 08 and got perma’d for it, so that statement is only semi untrue.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

RareAcumen posted:

Sucks that no one has these tweets so everyone could be on board.

Doing a search for the names of the people involved and "Shmorky" returns results pretty easily and folks can draw their own conclusions from there.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

:sigh:

I still think about how someone in the Steam thread made a bet where everyone who went on in it would have to buy him a game if Trump won, but he'd buy everyone games if Hilary won.

Unless I'm remembering wrong, he did feel bad about it when the election results rolled in.

Blattdorf did it, and I remember people being especially salty about it after Trump won and he came to collect. Don't make bets you don't want to lose folks!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

You are remembering wrong.

Everyone thought it was a joke that backfired but it turns out the poster in question was a full on MAGA Trump worshipper (at the time at least)

And now they simply don't want to talk politics for what it's worth. They seem like a decent person outside of certain political topics.

Edit: \/ yeah at least one person chose a ban over it

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 7, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Max Wilco posted:

He didn't feel that bad about it and probably felt less bad as more and more of the people who'd taken him up on the bet made lame excuses not to live up to it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Blattdorf did it, and I remember people being especially salty about it after Trump won and he came to collect. Don't make bets you don't want to lose folks!

It was just funny because it was like he bet on 00 in roulette and won. At the time, it seemed like he was setting himself up for failure, but then election night rolled around and someone was like, "So what games did you want, Blatt?"

Always bet on Duke :dukedog:, but never bet on Hilary, I guess.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
yeah it was funny, though less funny since he was also an actual trump supporter

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Anyone who actually bought him games and didn't tell him to go gently caress a tree is a coward

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
For content, BrutalMoose's arcade videos seem fun.

This one on coin pushers is neat, except for reminding me of all the time I spent winning my nieces Spongebob cards and then playing for Star Trek cards for myself : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNPjO9WIqaI

I need to check out the one on crane games when I get a chance.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yogscast content creator terminated from company amid sexual exploitation allegations

https://dotesports.com/streaming/news/yogscast-caffcast-terminated-from-company-sexual-exploitation-allegations/amp

quote:

Matthew “CaffCast” Meredith, a content creator on YouTube and Twitch, is facing allegations regarding the sexual exploitation of fans and moderators of his Discord server.

The post also alleges that CaffCast insisted upon female moderators regardless of ability as a means to “easily groom them for his sexual motivations.” The author of the post claims that some “of these suggestions were rejected, however it was later found that others who we accepted were predated on further by Caff.”

In 2016, CaffCast joined popular U.K. multi-channel network The Yogscast, which grew in popularity during the days of Minecraft and World of Warcraft. Since then, the company now has 20 channels under its umbrella with a combined subscriber count of around 18 million.

Yogscast CEO Mark “Turps” Turpin made a statement about the allegations on Reddit, saying that the company “expects the highest levels of professionalism from its talent.”

“Having reviewed the evidence and carefully considered this situation, [the company] concluded that Caff’s conduct is a material breach of our talent agreements and code of conduct that results in us terminating his relationship with the Yogscast effective immediately,” Turpin said.

I guess everyone's a creep.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 7, 2019

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Matt McMuscles: Mighty Number 9 - What Happened?

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Max Wilco posted:

Fundamental SSLPer The Dark Id was posting in the SA LP sub-forum until earlier this year. But his daughter died suddenly a couple months ago and I think he's out of that scene now. :smith:

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Because I mentioned the GMan Squad and jsXanatos a while back, I found myself rewatching a lot of kitty0706's videos this week.

Leaving aside that he (like Xanatos) used to think this one gay slur is the funniest word in existence, I find myself surprised at how many of the jokes still land. There's a great sense of timing, especially in his 'Elliot Goes to School' videos which works perfectly for both 23 and 10 year old me. And also, I've come to realize just how much that snappy, sound effect laden style of comedy has influenced me.

I don't know if I'm the only one. I really gotta put myself in the right state of mind, because the slurs really distract me at some points- but when it gets going, it really gets going.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Anyone who actually bought him games and didn't tell him to go gently caress a tree is a coward

Why would you take the bet at all then! I thought about it when he offered but decided against it because I didn't want to pay him if the unthinkable happened and Trump won.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nohman posted:

Fundamental SSLPer The Dark Id was posting in the SA LP sub-forum until earlier this year. But his daughter died suddenly a couple months ago and I think he's out of that scene now. :smith:

Jesus gently caress.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nohman posted:

He actually posted relatively recently in the Shadow Hearts LP thread that he's taking a road trip and might come back to it later in the year. But yeah, that was an awful tragedy :smith:.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Nohman posted:

Oh no. :ohdear: I know he dropped out of doing LPs for a while a couple of years ago because of family issues, but that he was back doing stuff again.

I hope he's doing okay.

stratofarius posted:

Because I mentioned the GMan Squad and jsXanatos a while back, I found myself rewatching a lot of kitty0706's videos this week.

Leaving aside that he (like Xanatos) used to think this one gay slur is the funniest word in existence, I find myself surprised at how many of the jokes still land. There's a great sense of timing, especially in his 'Elliot Goes to School' videos which works perfectly for both 23 and 10 year old me. And also, I've come to realize just how much that snappy, sound effect laden style of comedy has influenced me.

I don't know if I'm the only one. I really gotta put myself in the right state of mind, because the slurs really distract me at some points- but when it gets going, it really gets going.

I know when you brought it up, I went and watched A TF2 Western, which in turn reminded me of Ignus Solus.

Kitty0706 really was exceptional with the machinma stuff he did. You could say his animation style wasn't as refined as someone like DasBoSchitt, but it had a real energy to it, and his use of sound effects and facial poses really were what delivered the comedic punch with the non-sequiturs. Even now, stuff like Mass Defect, Moments with Heavy, and Team Fabulous 2 still make laugh.

It's sad that he passed away, especially since he seemed like he was working towards being an animator, and it would have been nice to see what he would have made if he had gotten established in that field.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Max Wilco posted:

I know when you brought it up, I went and watched A TF2 Western, which in turn reminded me of Ignus Solus.

Kitty0706 really was exceptional with the machinma stuff he did. You could say his animation style wasn't as refined as someone like DasBoSchitt, but it had a real energy to it, and his use of sound effects and facial poses really were what delivered the comedic punch with the non-sequiturs. Even now, stuff like Mass Defect, Moments with Heavy, and Team Fabulous 2 still make laugh.

It's sad that he passed away, especially since he seemed like he was working towards being an animator, and it would have been nice to see what he would have made if he had gotten established in that field.

Exactly. Kitty's style was the first time I remember seeing that kind of fast-paced, snapping animation with sound effects and manic energy. And it's a credit to his abilities that even some of the jokes that aged badly have some grace to them, or that he also has a bunch of self-aware jokes about how the characters say 'gay' a lot-- one of my favorite jokes is on the Mondays episode of Elliot Goes to School, where Brandon goes "That's so...", looks off-camera, and it cuts to this person holding a cue card that says 'LINE: DUMB' and there's just this simple beat before it cuts back to Brandon and he says "... gaaaay" with the dumbest face on.

It's so good. Kitty, Xanatos, all those people that aren't around anymore for whatever reason really nailed their particular styles. Current animators I like that remind me of Kitty include Gray Cartoon Pony, but both of their styles are way more refined (Greatdictator in particular is amazing at movement in particular, their Team Neighborhood series applies all the technique of a Looney Tunes short to the TF2 models with incredible results) and miss some of that... I don't know what the word is for it. The closest equivalent I can think of is the Xerox remains you'd see in 60s Disney animation like Winnie the Pooh and Jungle Book.

SFM also killed a lot of that for me. There's a particular smoothness every SFM animation has that sorta sands away at the edges GMod's style has.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

stratofarius posted:

Exactly. Kitty's style was the first time I remember seeing that kind of fast-paced, snapping animation with sound effects and manic energy. And it's a credit to his abilities that even some of the jokes that aged badly have some grace to them, or that he also has a bunch of self-aware jokes about how the characters say 'gay' a lot-- one of my favorite jokes is on the Mondays episode of Elliot Goes to School, where Brandon goes "That's so...", looks off-camera, and it cuts to this person holding a cue card that says 'LINE: DUMB' and there's just this simple beat before it cuts back to Brandon and he says "... gaaaay" with the dumbest face on.

It's so good. Kitty, Xanatos, all those people that aren't around anymore for whatever reason really nailed their particular styles. Current animators I like that remind me of Kitty include Gray Cartoon Pony, but both of their styles are way more refined (Greatdictator in particular is amazing at movement in particular, their Team Neighborhood series applies all the technique of a Looney Tunes short to the TF2 models with incredible results) and miss some of that... I don't know what the word is for it. The closest equivalent I can think of is the Xerox remains you'd see in 60s Disney animation like Winnie the Pooh and Jungle Book.

SFM also killed a lot of that for me. There's a particular smoothness every SFM animation has that sorta sands away at the edges GMod's style has.

Check out STBlackST and Payton Tate. I dunno what they use (seems like GMod, though it could be SFM), but their videos seem to capture some of that rough style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Nohman posted:

:smithcloud: