Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
everyone I have ever met who is a "genwunner" has not purchased a pokemon game in nearly two decades and likely never will again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The people I know who vastly prefer Gen 1 over other pokemon games get really excited whenever there's a rumour of a Pokemon MMO or a post-acopalyptic pokemon game or something (somehow this rumour pops up more than I think it should) but don't really play the games too much other than Go.

The other people I know who like pokemon are still pretty big fans of Gen 1 and don't really mind that most megas and alt forms go to them.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Zore posted:

then why are they even bothering to make new Pokemon if everything just comes back to Gen 1 forever.

To play second fiddle to Charizard.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Charizard... is okay. Solidly average.
Furret is taller

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I didn't mind the regional variants in Gen 7 being Gen 1 monsters because they're the oldest designs (and a re-imagining would make the most impact), and the typings they are ones not seen or rarely used among Gen 1 monsters. Also the ones chosen were purposely ones that didn't receive any kind of revamp before then.

I personally don't believe that Gigantamaxing or whatever is an actual thing though, as that sounds ridiculous.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I believe it because I believe in my friend Farfetch'd.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Vandar posted:

They’re going to have to do the National Dex thing at some point anyway. In ten years when we have 1200 or so Pokemon and a great number of them have their own forme and ability gimmicks to deal with, they really won’t have the resources to keep porting all of them into every new game. They could put everyone into the game, but they’re making the conscious decision to get it over with now.

I don’t like it either but it’s better they rip the bandaid off so we get used to it now rather than later on, y’know?

(Please put Glameow and Houndour into the Galar Dex though.)

There's no excuse for them to rotate out certain monsters once they have the generic basics for the Switch games down. Once a game is on the console they tend to build off the engine of the last one, and usually they don't take out most of the resources from the mother game. HeartGold and SoulSilver are full of dummied out stuff from Diamond and Pearl, as are Black and White.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I believe it because I believe in my friend Farfetch'd.

Farfetch'd has a regional form evolution in that leak, not a Gigantamax

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dias posted:

I'm actually kinda wondering if a lot of the cuts won't be pre-evolution Pokemon.
No, this absolutely won't happen. The statement was that pokemon outside the Galar dex simply won't exist in the game data, and when have they ever included some but not other forms/evolutions of families into a regional dex? I'm a bit weirded out that people are treating it like "cuts" when it's more like "inclusions" anyway.

If you need an example of what the end result will be like, just look at the alola dex. It'll probably be basically that. Alola has ~300 mons, Galar will probably have a bit more to make up for the fact that that's all you're getting.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

It's also possible that they're not going with the model of game releases (New set, then a "follow up" game in the same generation) any longer. It's entirely possible that the next set of games right after Sword and Shield may be a "Gen 9" game: A new region with new characters, and a new regional Pokedex featuring monsters not found in Sword and Shield and possibly even brand new monsters.

It sounds absurd, but so is cutting monsters from Gen 8.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Wooloo

Im waiting for the actual game to come out tbh

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Zuzie posted:

It's also possible that they're not going with the model of game releases (New set, then a "follow up" game in the same generation) any longer. It's entirely possible that the next set of games right after Sword and Shield may be a "Gen 9" game: A new region with new characters, and a new regional Pokedex featuring monsters not found in Sword and Shield and possibly even brand new monsters.

It sounds absurd, but so is cutting monsters from Gen 8.

They've yet to go more than one game (where a pair counts as one) without releasing a follow up title that doesn't heavily borrow assets, either graphically (third versions including B2W2) or conceptually (remakes). They know they can make money with their "same Malibu Stacy but with a new hat" approach.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Cattail Prophet posted:

This one is understandable at least. At the time that the demo leaked, the guy that runs Serebii explained that it was a messy situation legally and that acknowledging it in an official capacity would be problematic for him. I imagine the same is true for Bulbapedia.

Whats the context of this? I've never heard of it but it sounds interesting.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Annath posted:

Whats the context of this? I've never heard of it but it sounds interesting.

The guy who runs Serebii is a moron who pirated Black/White before release and reported a bunch of the anti-piracy protection in his coverage 'Wow, until the tutorial is over Pokemon can't gain EXP!' which uh got him in some hot water a few years back.

Since then he hasn't touched anything unofficial on the site with a ten foot pole since it spooked him so much.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Farecoal posted:

Mega Furret. Mega Furret X and Y. Gigantamax Furret. Mega Gigantamax Galar Form Furret. Pokemon Furret Edition
Mega Furret is just furret with better stats because it's already a perfect design

maybe it wears sunglasses, that's it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dias posted:

Gen 1 Pokemon are the ones people care about. They'll keep adding Gen 1 Pokemon. gently caress, I came back to Pokemon because Alola had cute twists on poo poo I cared about.

edit: Look, I kinda get the weird anti-GENWUNNER thing this thread has going on most of the time. It sucks when people only care about the OG characters when you think other designs are cool. It sucks when your favorite one is overlooked over that dude you SWEAR no one cares about because of course Milotic is a way cooler Pokemon. But the fact of the matter is that MOST PEOPLE LIKE GEN ONE BETTER. You have to appeal to the core community but poo poo gets like, one step short of calling dudes with sentimental connection to the series normies. Do you guys wanna be the ones calling people normies?

they're normies

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zore posted:

The guy who runs Serebii is a moron who pirated Black/White before release and reported a bunch of the anti-piracy protection in his coverage 'Wow, until the tutorial is over Pokemon can't gain EXP!' which uh got him in some hot water a few years back.

Since then he hasn't touched anything unofficial on the site with a ten foot pole since it spooked him so much.

Wait, Pokemon has anti-piracy? How do so many people emulate them then?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

RatHat posted:

Anti-anti-piracy patches :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

Anti-piracy patches. They usually get figured out pretty quick, people just got caught when they were playing the super early rom dumps for Black and White because the game seemed to play fine at first. It just didn't let you gain EXP :v:

It was patched within a week.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Any interesting ways the games have done anti-piracy? Or is it just stuff like not being able to gain exp?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Zore posted:

The best part was that he kept claiming him and the person helping him had legal imported copies right up until people figured out it was anti-piracy. Then he deleted everything and went quiet.

Good job, there.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

RatHat posted:

Any interesting ways the games have done anti-piracy? Or is it just stuff like not being able to gain exp?

in b/w you can only use gen 5 monsters until you beat the game

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

Its mostly just that. Also certain event mons need certain flags or they won't ever obey you. I know if you force a Mew to spawn in the wild in R/S/E through a gameshark code it will never obey you after you catch it, always acting like a traded Pokemon that is too high a level.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

oddium posted:

in b/w you can only use gen 5 monsters until you beat the game

See, SwSh is just recycling ideas!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Zore posted:

Huh, interesting. What about the Spaceworld demo stuff?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Annath posted:

see:

Cattail Prophet posted:

This one is understandable at least. At the time that the demo leaked, the guy that runs Serebii explained that it was a messy situation legally and that acknowledging it in an official capacity would be problematic for him. I imagine the same is true for Bulbapedia.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Annath posted:

https://tcrf.net/Proto:Pok%C3%A9mon_Gold_and_Silver/Spaceworld_1997

Last year a rom of a Spaceworld '97 demo was discovered and dumped. It has a lot of interesting stuff in it. Since it certainly got out through less-than-legal means, big sites like Serebii and Bulbapedia probably want to avoid any possible liability by publishing information taken from it.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ziddar posted:

Last year a rom of a Spaceworld '97 demo was discovered and dumped. It has a lot of interesting stuff in it. Since it certainly got out through less-than-legal means, big sites like Serebii and Bulbapedia probably want to avoid any possible liability by publishing information taken from it.

Bulbapedia in particular has a moderator convinced it's fake and they don't want to have to completely rewrite the page.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Amppelix posted:

No, this absolutely won't happen. The statement was that pokemon outside the Galar dex simply won't exist in the game data, and when have they ever included some but not other forms/evolutions of families into a regional dex? I'm a bit weirded out that people are treating it like "cuts" when it's more like "inclusions" anyway.

Oh I know this one!
What is Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen?

But I also expect more regional 'outings' with minimal new monsters going forward. Wynaut will never be deleted, won't be allowed in Galar, but can go to PokeChile in 2020 or something.

Abundant Atrophy fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 7, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Amppelix posted:

If you need an example of what the end result will be like, just look at the alola dex. It'll probably be basically that. Alola has ~300 mons, Galar will probably have a bit more to make up for the fact that that's all you're getting.

We just had LGPE

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dehry posted:

Bulbapedia in particular has a moderator convinced it's fake and they don't want to have to completely rewrite the page.

Why do they think it's fake?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zore posted:

We just had LGPE
Do you need me to tell you that SwSh is not a remake? This is pointlessly pedantic.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Ziddar posted:

drat, RIP Rock Head

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

Why do they think it's fake?

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Talk:Pok%C3%A9mon_Gold_and_Silver_beta#Spaceworld_Information

There's a lot of discussion there, but some people didn't believe it was real.

Helix Chamber botched a charity live stream intended to reveal red/green beta assets using a romhack a couple months later. The same people took it as proof they're faking everything and are trying to get money because the presenter was asking for donations to show the Pokedex (which was all fan-created assets to fill in real back sprites they obtained.)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Wouldn't those sites only be liable if they admit to having the illegal rom, but if they discuss it or post content from it gotten from other sources there's nothing nintendo can do?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Avalerion posted:

Wouldn't those sites only be liable if they admit to having the illegal rom, but if they discuss it or post content from it gotten from other sources there's nothing nintendo can do?

Nintendo can't take legal action but they sure can stop giving him the VIP treatment for events.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

Nintendo can't take legal action but they sure can stop giving him the VIP treatment for events.

Those sites also use official pokemon artwork so Nintendo could also DMCA their rear end

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
have some Pokemon Content:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I just got Let's Go Pikachu off a sale and it's pretty fun. I was surprised that the Box system is now "do it anywhere" in this game. I assume that's not gonna last into SwSh. I'm gonna miss the neat following you can do for your team members too. Assuming all of Gen 1 is gonna be in the next Dex if only because this game was mentioned for Pokemon Home? Wondering how the Let's Go mons will be if you transfer them since they don't have Abilities in this game.

The one thing I'm glad they're doing now is removing random encounters and moving on to being able to see Pokemon in the wild, having them just generate from certain areas. Random battles need to go away in almost every medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

DLC Inc posted:

Assuming all of Gen 1 is gonna be in the next Dex if only because this game was mentioned for Pokemon Home? Wondering how the Let's Go mons will be if you transfer them since they don't have Abilities in this game.

Not necessarily. The whole outcry is because you can deposit mons from tons of games into Home, but can't transfer them into SwSh, nor can you transfer them out of Home once they're in.

DLC Inc posted:

The one thing I'm glad they're doing now is removing random encounters and moving on to being able to see Pokemon in the wild, having them just generate from certain areas. Random battles need to go away in almost every medium.

This was the worst aspect of LGP/E for me, and thankfully its only coming back for the "wild area" which is only one area of the game in SwSh.