Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Random Stranger posted:

if people have to go through key doors or pulse on/off switches then it just becomes annoying.

This, I had a match the other night where there was a key door positioned in such a way that the person with the key couldn't get into it if someone was standing near the door and I felt like it was going to come down to a mess of luck as to who got through so instead I got the key and ran all the way back to the beginning of the level and played keepaway until the timer ran out to force a draw. Which probably didn't make anyone happy but point is key doors are real annoying.

Same is true even for more accessible key doors but there's a boss or something, the boss takes long enough that any edge from platforming before it is not likely to matter and instead it just turns into a mad dash for who stumbles into the door first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I regret to inform you all that I've made a new level.

Flipscavation: S0P-449-BJG

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks to everyone who watched me stream again! I really had a lot of fun playing everyone's levels

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/aquamarinephant/status/1147702667575042048

Cervixalot posted:

Random GoonLevels!
Deep Into the Frostwoods
Neat level! The 50 coin was in a good challenging spot.

Thanks!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

eonwe posted:

Thanks to everyone who watched me stream again! I really had a lot of fun playing everyone's levels

your streams are fun and chill and positive, and you give every level an honest try which is nice!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Made another level...

Soaring on the Clouds
42T-53V-NVF

This is a pretty simple level - cheetah auto scroller in the clouds. It's designed to play and feel like a classic Mario 3 level.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Control Volume posted:

Perilous Pipes: Tough level, pretty fun, it has an issue at the beginning with platform spawning though. If you rush through and ignore the mushroom, the platforms spawn fine, but if they get out of sync it can be impossible to get to the third one.

Thanks for the review! This was my first level with cycles and it was hard to do!

lunar detritus posted:

Consider this in even more of a beta than the randomizer, but it works (for me :v:)!

https://randomactsofmario.com/idea-generator

Eeeeeeee you are my favorite person! Just needs a day/night toggle.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 7, 2019

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

someone awful. posted:

your streams are fun and chill and positive, and you give every level an honest try which is nice!

Yeah! I think thats important. I need to work on my confidence though. Having people watch is a little nerve wracking, so sometimes I worry I'm making people feel bad if I can't show off their level entirely.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lunar detritus posted:

Consider this in even more of a beta than the randomizer, but it works (for me :v:)!

https://randomactsofmario.com/idea-generator

you rock

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Sky Tram!

8LD-FXX-5PF

Playing around with line guides for the first time. I don't think it's terribly difficult if you take it slow but you can also speed through a bunch of it if you want something faster paced

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

eonwe posted:

Yeah! I think thats important. I need to work on my confidence though. Having people watch is a little nerve wracking, so sometimes I worry I'm making people feel bad if I can't show off their level entirely.

I loved your fun chill stream tonight and I'm sorry I couldn't hear or stay longer! I appreciate how friendly and positive you are!

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Semisomnum posted:

I made a boss rush style level to mess around with some superball flower ideas.

Superball Boss Rush
Level ID:XS6-R8Y-WSG
Diffifculty: Moderate
Mutiplayer: Probably not.

The third boss (the Muncher stack) may be a little bit too difficult. If you have trouble with it try standing in the center of the platforms and bouncing the shots off them so they fire at an upward angle. You can also disable the lower cannons by breaking the blocks under them and you can kill the lower pirhanas without using any platforms.

Can confirm this level rules

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Semisomnum posted:

I made a boss rush style level to mess around with some superball flower ideas.

Superball Boss Rush
Level ID:XS6-R8Y-WSG
Diffifculty: Moderate
Mutiplayer: Probably not.

The third boss (the Muncher stack) may be a little bit too difficult. If you have trouble with it try standing in the center of the platforms and bouncing the shots off them so they fire at an upward angle. You can also disable the lower cannons by breaking the blocks under them and you can kill the lower pirhanas without using any platforms.

This level rules, it was one of the ones I played

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lastdancer posted:

I just started work on my Multiplayer Versus level. Are there any do's and don'ts I should be aware of? (beyond "just don't")

This is based entirely on my experience in multiplayer;

-Do not use loving On/Off switches where they are necessary to progress. These are impossible to work with in versus because obviously nobody is going to cooperate. Dotted line block platforming is a nightmare when 3 other people can hit the switch and gently caress you over.

-Any autoscrolling elements (snake blocks, tracks, etc.) are bad because the first player to reach them basically wins.

-You should try to design the start of your stage with 3 or 4 paths with a powerup in each. The beginning of versus is always a clusterfuck with people camping the ? block for a mushroom. Designing your map to get most player a powerup and moving along is great.

-Your level needs to function properly for the player in the lead and the players lagging behind. This means you can't rely on elements that only trigger properly when you load them in the first time. For example, don't design a hyper specific platforming segment with parakoopas or something because only one player can jump off them.

-If you put a boss fight with a key in your level I will go out of my way to boo your course later

Beyond that I'd say just play a lot of multiplayer versus and see what works and what doesn't (spoiler: a lot doesn't). Versus is really fun with a good stage and the online not being poo poo, but barely anyone designs with it in mind. Even most stages tagged with "multiplayer versus"usually contain so many elements that straight up don't work with multiple players. Its gotten to the point where I think people just tag any stage multiplayer because they hope it means it'll get played more.

I really wish you could tag a stage to be EXCLUDED from multiplayer, because I really don't like the idea of my stages designed for one and only one person ruining a versus match.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Deadly Alien Planet? A New Ally!
42K-H03-TPG

Another attempt at making something easy, but I think my barometer for difficulty is busted so I'll say it's a moderate difficulty. Must be completed with Yoshi. Lost your Yoshi but not your life? The course description may be helpful.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I spent hours grinding ryukahr's second kaizo level and only got about halfway

I hate 3D world now and continue to hate Mario walljumps after experiencing Rayman ones

I'm probably gonna dump even more hours into it though despite everything

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I'd just like to know what is making my levels Airship Panic (MX8-NYN-R5G) and Pirate's Cove (FFJ-TS1-20H) so enticing to Multiplayer Versus? They've both got over 20 plays in that mode where all my other levels none have over 4.

I'd really like to know what I did right so I can repeat it on purpose this time.

Edited to fix code.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 7, 2019

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Lastdancer posted:

Yeah I really overdid it with the Goombas for sure. I think I faltered and compensated wrongly toward "more difficult" when I definitely should have gone with a less taxing encounter. I think I was too attached to the Goomba pipes, the p switch to turn them off, and the idea of seeing a whole swarm of Goombas on the screen.

I really didn't think about the difficulty of the Goomba fight questioning the player's decision, that is a great point and something I need to step back and look at when I'm creating enemy encounters like that so close to each other. Thanks for the feedback, I greatly appreciate it!

So, I went back and gave the level a few (read: a lot) more tries. I eventually got past the big Goomba. I still dislike the Goomba, which I think is too difficult for so early in the level (once you destroy the big Goomba, the two little ones can get lost in the crowd, which is frustrating). After the big Goomba, the rest of the level is a mix of really clever and really frustrating.

The good:
- Some very clever puzzles.
- I like the sequence of bosses, since it feels like you are defeating all of Bowser's generals.
- The whole sequence of fighting the big Koopa is the best part.

The frustrating:
- There were constantly too many enemies. Like I said before, it's okay to have easier sections. Having enemies constantly come out of pipes leads to chaos.
- On the crane puzzle, it was frustrating to get the timing right. It was also hard to figure out what I was supposed to do there at all.
- Right at the very end, after I'd beaten Bowser, it took me an extraordinary amount of time to kick the big Koopa shell through the blocks. There are constantly enemies coming out of pipes, so you're pretty much guaranteed to get hit, and the big mushroom kept going over to exactly the same place as the Koopa, so when I tried to kick the Koopa shell, I would accidentally kill the Koopa instead. So I just had to run back and forth from the fire flower to the Koopa, continually getting hit, until, seemingly at random, I got things to work. Since I'd already defeated Bowser, this section seemed be too hard and random.
- In general, try to avoid boss areas where you keep getting fed power-ups.

Suggestions for future levels:
- Use fewer enemies, and don't use so many pipes spitting out enemies (or any?). Most of your screens had too many enemies and too many power-ups, which led to a lot of chaos.
- Try to do less, and polish it more. You have a lot of clever ideas, but there's just far too much going on in this level. Focus on one or two ideas and make sure they work really well.

I finally beat it (with a clear time of nearly half an hour), so I guess that's a point in your favor, but it was mostly out of stubbornness. If this were just some random level I found, I would have moved on after a couple of lives. So yeah, try to do less, but with more polish. Still, it's amazing how creative parts of the level were!

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Hey folks. I'm new at this, but I've put together a couple of interesting (to me, anyway) pretty straightforward, Mario-rear end Mario levels.

Ice to Meetcha: X0V-P75-WPF - a pretty straightforward run-and-oh-no-there's-ice-I-am-laid-low-by-the-coefficient-of-friction level. Some neat sequence breaks if you're doin' it fast. WR is a little over a minute, I can do it in 50 seconds.

Drop the Mario: 63W-696-09G - this one made my normal-Mario-playing, which is to say "hand-eye coordination of a turnip," friends pretty mad and the one clear so far apparently took over 19 minutes but I promise it isn't bullshit. (I now regret calling it "technical but forgiving", which to me it is because there are a lot of ways to recover from flubbed execution throughout the level, because I think that legit offended somebody I know.) I really enjoy running this level and my best clear time is around 3:30. It's designed to require good inputs and some patience, and rewards good play through the early sections by really rewarding you for having retained power-ups through to the end.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I've uploaded my first ever course yesterday:

Sky Seeker
8VQ-QCX-41H

It's based around snake blocks. I tried to design it to be stressful, but not terribly difficult. Give me feedback! Currently it has no plays at all.

By the way, does anyone know how to update an uploaded course? I want to change the description to something better and make a few changes to the course, but even when I do, the version that is in Course World doesn't update. I can't reupload it either, because "upload" is greyed out.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Lobster posted:

I'd just like to know what is making my levels Airship Panic (MX8-NYN-RG5) and Pirate's Cove (FFJ-TS1-20H) so enticing to Multiplayer Versus? They've both got over 20 plays in that mode where all my other levels none have over 4.

I'd really like to know what I did right so I can repeat it on purpose this time.

FYI your first code is wrong.

I really don't know why the multiplayer algorithm would favor these levels. I assume its simply because they've been liked by a good number of people playing multiplayer, which makes sense, but neither is designed for multiplayer and one is actively bad for it.

Airship Panic is fine, nothing amazing but nothing bad either and that's really all you need for a good multiplayer match. It doesn't have any of the elements that ruin most normal maps when thrown into multiplayer, so people can just run through it. Also the powerup isn't right at the start so that beginning scramble that makes everyone salty and mad gets delayed and spaced out better.

Pirate's Cove though... I have no clue why people would like this as a multiplayer level. Cause its really bad as one. Right off the bat it has a clear condition which is awful for multiplayer. But it also has a ton of precision swimming that is okay alone but I imagine is a total nightmare with 4 players bouncing off each other.

Nebrilos posted:

I've uploaded my first ever course yesterday:

Sky Seeker
8VQ-QCX-41H

It's based around snake blocks. I tried to design it to be stressful, but not terribly difficult. Give me feedback! Currently it has no plays at all.

By the way, does anyone know how to update an uploaded course? I want to change the description to something better and make a few changes to the course, but even when I do, the version that is in Course World doesn't update. I can't reupload it either, because "upload" is greyed out.

No offense intended but this is really rough. It has a number of bad decisions and overall just isn't fun.

The biggest problem is that its just too spammy. When you make levels like this, every projectile should have a purpose. The player should be able to focus on them and know what is coming there way. This level just has so much spam, a lot of which is irrelevant and just clutters the screen. Its really hard to keep an eye on the movement of the snake block and the flood of bullet spam.

But also it just has a number of design decisions that just make no sense. Why is the check point on donut blocks? That makes the player wanna quickly move off them onto the snake block, but doing that ASAP causes the snake block to cover up the mushroom cannon. Why does the level end with a hail of koopas that almost almost all miss the platform? Why does this level even have a checkpoint when its so short?

Now, for a first level you at least put effort and thought into it, so don't get discouraged. I'm just being honest about how I felt playing it. If you want to edit this you'll have to delete the original version before uploading it again. You can't actually edit courses once they've been submitted without removing them first.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 7, 2019

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

This is based entirely on my experience in multiplayer;

-Do not use loving On/Off switches where they are necessary to progress. These are impossible to work with in versus because obviously nobody is going to cooperate. Dotted line block platforming is a nightmare when 3 other people can hit the switch and gently caress you over.

-Any autoscrolling elements (snake blocks, tracks, etc.) are bad because the first player to reach them basically wins.

-You should try to design the start of your stage with 3 or 4 paths with a powerup in each. The beginning of versus is always a clusterfuck with people camping the ? block for a mushroom. Designing your map to get most player a powerup and moving along is great.

-Your level needs to function properly for the player in the lead and the players lagging behind. This means you can't rely on elements that only trigger properly when you load them in the first time. For example, don't design a hyper specific platforming segment with parakoopas or something because only one player can jump off them.

-If you put a boss fight with a key in your level I will go out of my way to boo your course later

Beyond that I'd say just play a lot of multiplayer versus and see what works and what doesn't (spoiler: a lot doesn't). Versus is really fun with a good stage and the online not being poo poo, but barely anyone designs with it in mind. Even most stages tagged with "multiplayer versus"usually contain so many elements that straight up don't work with multiple players. Its gotten to the point where I think people just tag any stage multiplayer because they hope it means it'll get played more.

I really wish you could tag a stage to be EXCLUDED from multiplayer, because I really don't like the idea of my stages designed for one and only one person ruining a versus match.

Yeah after I wrote that I went and played a bunch of multiplayer versus to get a better understanding of it, and it really helped give me an idea of what definitely doesn't work, which was pretty much everything you said. I did start designing the course with multiple paths so it's good to know I'm on the right track there. A concept I came up with that I'm experimenting with right now is using question blocks and in some cases clear pipes to let players spawn enemies into other player's routes as they all progress.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
This level isn't mine but I thought it was too cool not to share. It's just a silly chill theme level but the design and the music choice really make it. No Thanks, Mr. Roboto CGH-NVQ-W4G

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Internet Kraken posted:

FYI your first code is wrong.

I really don't know why the multiplayer algorithm would favor these levels. I assume its simply because they've been liked by a good number of people playing multiplayer, which makes sense, but neither is designed for multiplayer and one is actively bad for it.

Airship Panic is fine, nothing amazing but nothing bad either and that's really all you need for a good multiplayer match. It doesn't have any of the elements that ruin most normal maps when thrown into multiplayer, so people can just run through it. Also the powerup isn't right at the start so that beginning scramble that makes everyone salty and mad gets delayed and spaced out better.

Pirate's Cove though... I have no clue why people would like this as a multiplayer level. Cause its really bad as one. Right off the bat it has a clear condition which is awful for multiplayer. But it also has a ton of precision swimming that is okay alone but I imagine is a total nightmare with 4 players bouncing off each other.

Thanks, fixed the code in my post.

Well, the world is full of mysteries. :iiam:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Level made

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

A few levels from the randomizer:

#209 Mario in the sky (P3C-L8R-C9G), by Padomyme
The level was bit too challenging for my liking, but I beat it. I enjoy levels that are a little forgiving, but this one didn't allow you to be hit even once. I'd encourage you to focus on building elements and challenges that really inspire a sense of fun and/or exhilaration.

#561 Frozen Jungle Pipes (G96-1DX-VGF), by FlashFearless
This feels hastily put together and, since it was for a blitz, I guess it was. I think the blitz are great for forcing you to be creative with given pieces, and the time limit also forces you to not obsess over details and just build something. Still, in the end, more time may be needed to build a really good level. If the experience inspires you, I'd encourage you to take that inspiration and build a more carefully-constructed level later on.

#317 Desert Rush (CVK-N91-7LG), by Spectral Werewolf
I gave this about 10-15 tries, but these aren't the sort of levels that I enjoy (fyi, it's currently sitting at a completion ratio of 0.30%!!!). If other people enjoy them, though, that's great!

#29 Thwompcharge Summer (X1V-WX5-X4G), by Icedude
Short and fun. A little bit of a challenge, but still forgiving of minor mistakes. I don't think I like the scream sound effect near the beginning (or screen sound effects in general), but still, nice work.

#229 Slipstrim (K1P-747-7GF), by BabyRyoga
Another 20-second speedrun level. This one was more manageable, and I beat it within about 10 tries. It was pretty fun, but this sort of level still isn't my cup of tea.

#534 Cap'n Calamari's Sky Brigade (2P3-3LW-CRF), by Fortis
You put squids, one of the most annoying enemies, on an airship level, one of the best types of levels? It's a weird mix, but it was pretty fun to play. The only part I didn't like was the boss. I basically had to jump on him as soon as I entered the room or else he got too high for me. My favorite section was the swinging grabber arms.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is there a way to get flaming cheep cheeps without tossing them into lava?

Maxxim
Mar 10, 2007

You're overcome by an indescribably odd sensation...!

Defenestrategy posted:

These coins belong in a museum?

957-NFN-81H
This course was on my list to check out, but since I'm lazy about entering codes I just ended up playing through your levels. Here's a mini review of each:

Going for a run
Felt a bit slapdash but delivered on its promise.

Salty42 tribute
Didn’t really seem to flow together, but I don’t know the original.

Coins belong in a museum?
The concept was great, but the execution was a little rough. The fish in the blocks at the beginning felt unnecessary, something that wouldn’t kill the player would have still gotten the point across, and the spikes everywhere looks kinda ugly.

Saw 1000: Luigi’s revenge
Cute idea. The springs and bumpers at the end felt pretty out of place.

Mildstar
I don’t think the low gravity works very well with rails, didn’t feel that fun to me. The "no coin = bad" didn’t feel like a great system, but I could see myself getting used to it. The difficulty of the saw jump in the middle was way higher than the rest of the level, it felt a bit uneven.

Saw 2000
Felt like the level was designed to be more mean than fun. Lots of stopping and starting, as well as invisible blocks.

Saw 4
I’m a bit lost as to what this level was supposed to be. There were a lot of "traps" that faked you out (like the first saw level), but there were still other things that killed you. It’s like half joke half troll level which is not a very good combination.

What’s the deal with the last area? Are you supposed to just walk by everything?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OgEA1WsJk8

Saw 3
Music and the first platform section was pretty chillax, but the blue skull was the complete opposite. The thwomp thing wasn’t particularly clear, would’ve been nicer if you had a safer way to demonstrate it. Fairly solid.

Run! It’s the popo!
Good idea, the execution seemed a bit rough. There wasn’t a lot of time to make decisions and it was very tough to see what the intended route was. In particular, I had no idea what the blue skull platform was and the transition between riding and running at the very end could’ve been more explicit. Coins would’ve been a big help.

Field day! Everyone’s a winner!
Felt OK, not quite sure what you were going for though.

Field day: everyone’s a wiener!
Managed to softlock myself trying to cheat the vine section, the blocks (and one ways) in that section felt pretty artificial. It was way too easy to accidentally kill the bob ombs at the end with the shell. Other than that, I enjoyed it!

Tribute
I’m definitely missing something here.

First try every time.
Nice concept, the slots could’ve been a bit cleaner. The spike helmet could kill you coming up, and the star tends to get stuck for a while.

A one screen question
I don’t think I did it right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fsiVU83Tlw

Saw 5
I think your courses are getting worse over time.

Overall summary:
Some great ideas, but it feels like your levels are naturally inclined to "speedrun" style mechanics where you just do trick after trick without getting hit. Most regular mario levels allow you to explore some small amount which rewards you with coins, 1ups, or powerups, but those were generally absent throughout. You seem to rely too much on saws and the claw. Most of your levels could use some coins as well. This could very well be the style of level you want to go for, but basically I think things would be better if you hired a decorator and made some small pacing changes.

Not a huge fan of troll levels in general, but saws 2, 4, and 5 felt pretty garbage.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

I continue my "Great Escape" series of levels.

Great Escape 3: Bowser's Revenge

VK5-X0W-Q3G

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
More Goon More Mario

Cap'n Calamari's Sky Brigade: Pretty decent level, but the fireflower totally trivializes it, especially the boss fight. Also if you're gonna design a level around blooper you should build with more verticality in mind to accommodate for their AI movement. Subplatforms or blocks would allow the player more angles to jump on em. I'm nitpicking though; the stage was fun and functional, which is what matters most.

Bullet Festival: I died on this stage because someone strategically placed a comment to cover up a pit, so that's something.

Really though this stage is fine, if a bit short. My only real criticism is that the Boom Boom fight is even easier than your standard "boom boom in a box" setup. The bees aren't aggressive enemies and you can just stand on the cannons to render Boom Boom harmless.

Ant Army Escape: This was fun and cute! Didn't expect this kind of level from the title. Admittedly, I'm biased towards any level that features ant troopers heavily because they are adorable.

Head in the clouds: Another decent level by CoolGuy, no surprise there. I'd say this one is just the right length for its difficulty, as opposed to Bullet Festival which was really short.

October Sky: Gave this level two real attempts. Dying in the autoscroller is just too painful. This really needs a checkpoint, and I know that means sacrificing the theme of the clear goal, but mechanics need to take precedence over window dressing.

Stormy Skyway: Really nice airship aesthetic I hadn't seen before. Enjoyed this level enough to play it again just too unlock the red door. Good work.

Tricky Tiered Tower: This level felt all over the place, which I guess is the point, but it didn't really feel executed well. Just kind of a mediocre spattering of mechanics, with not enough time given to any of em to really create an interesting experience. Also ending this mishmash of enemies and traps on a completely standard Boom Boom fight is anticlimactic, to say the least.

Midnight Star: I beat it but didn't really enjoy it. Just felt frustrating due to the wind messing up my jumps.

Mario the Roguelite: I think this is a super cool concept! I really like the idea of gearing up to fight Bowser in a Mario level. That said, the layout of this felt rather haphazard, and it could do with a lot of improvement. The core idea is super unique though, and I'd love to see a more refined version of this level.

lol 10 bux
Dec 22, 2004
i <3 (o)(o)s
Made a level that forces you to guide a goomba to the end. Killing it or losing it will cause Mario's death.

Goomba Rescue
BF7-GKF-WYF

Edit: Updated with new ID.

lol 10 bux fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 7, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I really hope they allow stones and small Toads to be available in course creator eventually. I have some ideas for both.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

lol 10 bux posted:

Made a level that forces you to guide a goomba to the end. Killing it or losing it will cause Mario's death.

Goomba Rescue
8XY-W4N-9WG

HOW?!

I beat it because the death didn't trigger immediately after goomba's dying at some point, and then I waited the P-switch out on a shroom around the area where the huge Mario powerups start dropping. The rear P never triggered.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I made a new level inspired by World 2 of SMB3, this time with multiple routes!

SMB3 Revival: Sandworks 2P3-1W4-PCG

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

A short course using the weird night castle theme.

A Fried Fish Dream

N2C-QGQ-NQG

Link43130
Apr 13, 2009
Made another level, with decidedly less bullshit in it. I wanted to do something with a snake block that you'd chase throughout the level and would need to finish. Lemme know what you think.

Don't Lose It!: S2N-RGC-GDG

lol 10 bux
Dec 22, 2004
i <3 (o)(o)s

SelenicMartian posted:

HOW?!

I beat it because the death didn't trigger immediately after goomba's dying at some point, and then I waited the P-switch out on a shroom around the area where the huge Mario powerups start dropping. The rear P never triggered.

The idea was from one of Ceave's videos, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gft3ARDtofI. Basically there's a bunch of enemies at the top of the screen on tracks that you can't see filling up the enemy limit. The bill blaster won't shoot out another enemy until there is a free space in the enemy limit. What's supposed to happen is as soon as the goomba dies or goes off screen the bill blaster shoots a giant wiggler onto the P switch collapsing the floor. I've been playing through it a few more times and realized there's some ways to cheese it and some things that don't work quite the way I want. Not sure how to fix them yet. Spoilered for anyone who hasn't played it yet.

Edit: Updated original post with new ID. It tries to fix a couple of these things.

The bill blaster and P switches are on zig-zaggy tracks to keep it in pace with the autoscroll. Otherwise with a straight track it went too fast and you would eventually lose them. Sometimes because of the track it seems like it's missing the P switch when it fires. If it fires on the right side the wiggler will stay and the bill blaster doesn't fire anymore because the enemy limit is filled again.

You can cheese it by waiting out the P switch on any of the solid grounds. I tried to limit the solid ground in the stage for this reason but being completely flat limits the options for any challenges and makes the stage feel boring.

For the mini bosses what I wanted to happen was for you to lose if the goomba ran into them and started walking the other way or was killed by them. However this won't happen until the mini boss dies because the bill blaster won't fire. I didn't realize but it seems the boss takes a position in the enemy limit even though it has it's own limit in the maker palette. Because of this the death never triggers if you don't kill the bosses and just avoid them until the end.

lol 10 bux fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 7, 2019

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

is there a way to automatically fill in a bunch of squares with a block?

also can't wait for the next blitz! I love the limitations and it makes it actually easier to make a decent level. restriction is the mother of innovation

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Too Shy Guy posted:

I made a new level inspired by World 2 of SMB3, this time with multiple routes!

SMB3 Revival: Sandworks 2P3-1W4-PCG

I will play this level when I can, but the pipe maze that it looks like you're going for in this screenshot is actually from World 7 (I believe).

Sorry for the :goonsay: but I AM looking forward to checking it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I got a notification that a WR time was beaten by HawtMilf