Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Is there a good guide or rule of thumb to district planning? I'm getting back into this game now that I bought GS, after being very unimpressed by vanilla, but drat if I don't have a hard time figuring out how to place districts and tile improvements. Resources are fairly obvious, but I can't look forward enough to figure out if a given location is better for, say, a campus or a holy site, how to plan on the government district, etc. Or is it just a matter of experience and knowing that you'll never get it 100%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Caved and got GS from Fanatical.

I don't remember barbarians being so hardcore. They spawn new guys every turn, and as soon as I kill one camp one shows up next turn. My army can never heal up because there's always a new fire to put out.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Madmarker posted:

Underwhelming in the sense of bad or unfun? Against humans.....yeah it is not the best way to win

However, if against the AI (at Deity), I contest that going for culture is just as easy if not easier than even science. Honestly if you are good at handling the AI diplomacy screen, its pretty easy to handle most opponents. Just keep them happy, trade with them, send trade routes, Declare and keep friendships as long as possible, make alliances and don't declare war. 9/10 times the AI will just passively sit there and let you dominate them culturally. Besides, even if the AI is going to war with you, if you are doing a culture victory you should have the highest level walls in all of your cities, making it incredibly hard for the AI to do anything but kill themselves on your defenses.

I mean weaker, especially against human opponents. I've always preferred culture victories, and the building of glorious mega cities that tended to be involved. But tourism is honestly more dependent on technology and tile appeal in my opinion. At the very least Steel and Radio are key to the strategy. Civics feel more like a bonus to me than a gate like techs tend to be.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

skooma512 posted:

I don't remember barbarians being so hardcore. They spawn new guys every turn, and as soon as I kill one camp one shows up next turn. My army can never heal up because there's always a new fire to put out.

Hunting down scouts before they report back is important.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

skooma512 posted:

Barbarians are indeed a much bigger threat. That’s why the very first social policy card thing I get is the one with bonus damage to barbs. It does shake up and make the early game more interesting though.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Late game in vanilla 6, Barbarians will just spawn enmasse around your cities with no warning like they're freaking aliens with portals. It's a dumb mechanic and a dumb game. I finished my first game last night and not sure if I'll ever bother with it for a full afternoon/evening again or just go back to 5/Beyond Earth for my occasional civ fix.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

jojoinnit posted:

Late game in vanilla 6, Barbarians will just spawn enmasse around your cities with no warning like they're freaking aliens with portals. It's a dumb mechanic and a dumb game.

That's a spy ability used against neighborhood districts. Counterspy operations within one tile, or the usual options for slowing espionage, is an effective measure.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Best counter is keeping an Apostle with heathen conversion in reserve and boom free helicopters (or whatever).

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Marmaduke! posted:

Best counter is keeping an Apostle with heathen conversion in reserve and boom free helicopters (or whatever).

And that's how on 9/11/2001 the Dalai Lama convinced Al-Qaeda to forsake Islam and enlist in the US military.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 2, 2019

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Unfortunately transformers was getting too popular so Korea nuked Washington before people didn't care about the space program anymore because rock bands.

I find the early land grab so fatiguing. I want to build up my city or units but it feels like if I'm not building settlers and trudging them along the map for the first 100 turns I'm losing. The more important the opening moves feel the less I want to continue my files

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Unfortunately transformers was getting too popular so Korea nuked Washington before people didn't care about the space program anymore because rock bands.

I find the early land grab so fatiguing. I want to build up my city or units but it feels like if I'm not building settlers and trudging them along the map for the first 100 turns I'm losing. The more important the opening moves feel the less I want to continue my files
It's a delicate balance to be struck there for sure because neglecting early military can get you killed, especially against players or on higher difficulty. Yet neglecting expansion can put you at a major economic disadvantage later on. I still enjoy the earliest turns of the game the most.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
since the sale is going on I looked at other 4x games

does anyone know about the WH40K clone, Gladius? is it basically a mod or how does it play?

Ivoryman
Jul 2, 2019

Fleetwood Crack posted:

...I still enjoy the earliest turns of the game the most.

I absolutely love the early game in both CIV V and VI. Early game combat is so much more gratifying than later eras in my opinion. Also, I like V better VI.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Over 1000 hours in Civ6 and I estimate that I quit 90% of them at about the Renaissance Age. Civilization is building up a nation and if that part is done, I'm done.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Most games are only played one session because I'm usually pretty sure I see the path to victory at that point. Maybe need to play on higher than Emperor

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I bought the gold edition in the sale. What's a good starting civilization, map and level to learn the mechanics on for someone who's played civ v at king level?

eta: and is there a opening strategy like the tradition opener from civ v?

Helith fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 7, 2019

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Helith posted:

I bought the gold edition in the sale. What's a good starting civilization, map and level to learn the mechanics on for someone who's played civ v at king level?

I prefer Germany as a relatively simple civ - their major UA is that they get an extra district (district placement is brand new to Civ VI and I'm still figuring out how to optimize that), but their unique district is a significant upgrade to production. Solid all around choice whether you want a domination or science victory. Map I'd just go with continents and pick a size. City placement is also more important now - access to fresh water (river or lake) impacts how large your city can grow, there is an added city stat (housing) which can be improved with buildings/districts but will limit you overall. No more 40+ size cities. Going for a wonder build is difficult - each wonder also now takes a map hex, you can't stack them in one city like you could in V.

Major mechanics you'll have to learn are how amenities differ from luxuries/happiness in 5, religion has been fleshed out a lot, but as much as anything you'll need to figure out districts. There's effectively a second technology tree (civics) that takes the place of policies - mechanically it's very similar, but it gives you more micro over choosing specific policies based on how many slots you have at any one time. Optimizing it will take some learning, but the basic function is straightforward. With the gold version you'll have city governors, it adds complexity but is relatively straightforward overall.

There are a ton of changes - vanilla VI was pretty rough and overall not as good as BNW. GS, however, is a great game - I haven't played R&F on its own so I'm not the best person to ask, but I'd wager it's pretty good.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's almost like you need to pick a civ with as few early bonuses as possible, if you pick Germany first you might get frustrated on your next play through that you have fewer military policy slots and your cities seem unable to build as many districts. I might go for America as most of their bonuses come late in the game, plus the extra combat strength on your home continent helps you get to grips with wars (or even just defending against aggressive barbarians).

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Personally I think Egypt, Rome and Nubia are good all-rounders that don't need you to do anything weird in order to function and don't give you anything that'll teach you bad habits, while still being unique from the start.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I was laying siege to Nubia's capital but I couldn't breach the city walls and their unique unit was too strong for my army.
Suddenly, a 1000-year flood destroyed half of Nubia's army around the capital and just about destroyed their city walls! I could literally just walk in after shooting a couple of arrows.

Now that was FUN and tickled my roleplaying style of play. Maybe not so much fun when it happens to you, but still. I'm a big fan of everything GS brought to the game, this civ is probably the best civ since the last expansion.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Sounds like I need GS if only because it sounds like it fixes all the terrible ai of vanilla 6?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I'm not sure if the patches were also released separately outside of the expansions? I would get GS anyway, it really makes the game.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

John F Bennett posted:

I'm not sure if the patches were also released separately outside of the expansions? I would get GS anyway, it really makes the game.

The patches mention when they affect the base game, so they apply universally.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The hardest thing to learn in 6 is district placement and realizing you need to plan ancient turns around putting districts or wonders down thousands of years later.
Germany's strategy is getting Hansas next ot markets next to rivers which might be overwhelming to start out.

If gold edition comes with later civs Korea is pretty simple position wise.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The hardest thing to learn in 6 is district placement and realizing you need to plan ancient turns around putting districts or wonders down thousands of years later.
Germany's strategy is getting Hansas next ot markets next to rivers which might be overwhelming to start out.

If gold edition comes with later civs Korea is pretty simple position wise.

Is there a good primer or write up on how to think about this? It's the one thing I'm still struggling to figure out.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I don't really agree with having to plan the placement for thousands of years. Just place them where it seems fun at the time, otherwise this GAME becomes a boring JOB.

Also, why the heck would my wheel-discovering civilization know about the existence of space ports thousands of years later?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is there a good primer or write up on how to think about this? It's the one thing I'm still struggling to figure out.

The best way is just to play a few games and try stuff, honestly. That's half the fun for me - trying stuff, loving up, seeing how I hosed up, and improving on the next run. You don't need to learn The Most Optimal Strats before your very first playthrough.

edit - thought you were the guy who hadn't played yet so consider this advice for that guy

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 7, 2019

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
You can always install a mod that lets you remove districts if you want, too.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
One thing I really enjoy about Civ 6 is how ludicrously productive individual tiles can get if the circumstances are right. Stacking natural wonder and world wonder bonuses, disaster-based production boosts, inherent civ bonuses, religion bonuses, suzerain improvements, etc can result in some truly ridiculous tiles.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

John F Bennett posted:

Also, why the heck would my wheel-discovering civilization know about the existence of space ports thousands of years later?

Because you're playing at The Patriots, cloud consciousness of the nationstate, before the existence of nationstates

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

John F Bennett posted:

I don't really agree with having to plan the placement for thousands of years.

I think these are both mostly true. The hardest part IS figuring out districts, but it's... not hard, and there is no way to place all your districts optimally at the start, because you haven't revealed coal, uranium, et cetera. There are a few wonders that require specific terrain, but none of them are essential. Really, just play the game. Play on a lower level if you are worried that the AI will pose any challenge.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The main thing to take into account IMO is that some wonders (including Forbidden City, one of the best ones) require flat land adjacent to a city, so if you have lots of hills or unharvestable resources don't fill in all your spots around good city centers or you can lock yourself out of them

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ugh, I got Gathering Storm and it looks like it's juust enough to make my computer chug even with everything turned down. :(

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Byzantine posted:

Ugh, I got Gathering Storm and it looks like it's juust enough to make my computer chug even with everything turned down. :(

Are you playing in boardgame looking mode (I think its called Strategy Mode) instead of the pretty mode? That tends to help a lot.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

+1 for strategy mode. My pc starts chugging at around the medieval era on a huge map on lowest settings. Then I usually switch to strategic mode and notice that half of my improvements were apparently on fire the entire time.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
So what do I lose out on if I get Gathering Storm but not the previous expansion?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Smol posted:

So what do I lose out on if I get Gathering Storm but not the previous expansion?

A few civilizations, wonders and scenarios. The gameplay elements from Rise and Fall are included in Gathering Storm.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Helith posted:

eta: and is there a opening strategy like the tradition opener from civ v?

I like to use the "Play Now!" button to learn the game, which starts you as a random civ on a small continents map with low difficulty. It doesn't make for the most interesting games, but it's a good way to learn the civs and the mechanics. When your game starts, look up your civ on Zigzagzigal's guides on Steam (googling "civ vi [civ name]" usually brings it up in the first few results) and read the outline, victory skew, and skim the civ ability/unique unit/unique improvement/unique district sections. As you uncover policy cards, religions, governments etc. you can check those sections to see what's recommended to support your civ's unique features and victory skew. After a while you'll get a feel for how to pick for yourself but when you're just starting out all the options on the religion and government screens can be overwhelming so some support on which options to choose is helpful.

If you get bored feel free to drop the game and start a new one, and if you find a civ that you feel like you've got a handle on then you can start making custom games at higher difficulties playing as that civ.

Edit: I don't know about "traditional openers" but the initial build order I use is scout, slinger, warrior, builder, settler. Use your units to scout in concentric circles around your first city but be sure not to wander too far or you can get wiped out by barbarians or hostile civs early on. I've also used slinger, slinger, slinger, settler for military starts. If your civ has an ancient era unique unit you may want to focus on that in your early builds. If you are trying to do some ancient era conquering, skip the early infrastructure buildup and spam units so you can keep an army before upkeep costs become too high, and take cities before walls come into play.

Typically once I make the first settler I just keep making settlers in the capital unless there's a nearby civ I want to conquer right away. I read somewhere you want to have around 7 cities up by turn 100, either settled or conquered, and it seems to work out well for me. Try to build a campus and an encampment fairly early since you don't want to get behind on science and encampments allow you to build resource-dependent units even if you only have access to one copy of a resource. Build markets or harbors too (depending on city location and civ bonuses) for the gold income and trade route capacity.

turd in my singlet fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 8, 2019

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

turd in my singlet posted:

Edit: I don't know about "traditional openers" but the initial build order I use is scout, slinger, warrior, builder, settler.

"Tradition opener" refers to one of the pseudo-government options from Civ V that usually dominated the other options.

Civ VI's early game strategy tends to be a lot more varied than Civ V. In terms of broad strategic goals your biggest early game landmark is the Political Philosophy civic since it doubles your number of policy slots, but it's so central to the ancient era civic tree that it's hard not to head in that direction.

Your midrange strategic goals are usually getting the techs you need for the districts you want. I find that a balanced approach to districts usually works best (disclaimer: I'm a barely deity-level player) but you definitely need to prioritize. Simplest approach is to angle for Currency since it picks up Writing along the way so you can start building both Campuses and Commercial Districts.

Your immediate strategic goals are picking up whatever techs you need to improve the resources that are around you, and also Archery. If you're worried about a scary neighbor you may also want Masonry. Walls aren't guaranteed to hold off AIs by themselves anymore but they get pretty close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Maybe it's because I don't like playing on slow but I find that I never have to prioritize district techs because I'm still trying to build out or defend myself when I get any of those things.
It's why I kind of hate the first stage of the game.