Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah Gone Home is good. There's way better stuff in that style now though, like What remains of Edith Finch. Still need to play Tacoma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Talking about "walking simulator" I super loved the atmosphere in Dear Esther

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

food court bailiff posted:

but GUUUUYS don’t you GET IT the guy talking to you the whole time betrayed you and you didn’t really have any agency because it’s a VIDEO GAME omg DEEP

you have to admit though that's a pretty good twist in a video game when you're a 14 year-old (or just have the mental age of one)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
sorry bioschlock but that one movie already did the whole "only winning move is to not play" thing in the 80s

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
it's offensive to me that the name rogue-like exists, just because your garbage procedural game has a nonzero amount of replayability still means it's mostly trash you lazy fucks. I hosed your mom more than once, that doesn't mean I started calling her nethack

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

olives black posted:

so, uh, Gone Home was p good

I like the punk girl's demo tapes

this is a thread for discussing video games. please keep things on topic. if you want to discuss unpopular walking simulator opinions make your own thread

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is the best Call of Duty.

Multiplayer in the Remastered edition kind of sucks,

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Bioshock had bad gameplay but actually, the visual design and story were also really really bad. Overall, the game was bad in every area.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zzulu posted:

Bioshock 1 was insanely boring and had super bad gameplay BUT it did have an ocean floor city which was cool and atmospheric as hell. The setting + that golfclub scene was what made the game worthwhile, though I never considered it a great game. The ending was just laughable

Bioshock 3 was just a whole lotta nothing

I loved the atmospheric setpieces and the ending of binfinite, and recall the evil revolutionary stuff as being just 'racism is bad' in different clothes, it's a hosed up tree and every branch is just as hosed. Game play was fine iirc, but I'd have to go back to confirm.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Gameplay in Infinite was good, they just only had a handful of decent arenas to use it in. Then it got into time travel stuff that made an interesting narrative just get really tiring.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Almost nothing video game related is truly lost compared to a lot of TV, books and to a lesser extent film though. it seems like you can dig almost all of it up in some capacity. it's kind of funny because video games are pretty dumb and they will probably end up being the most thoroughly archived form of media ever.

Eh, online games that no one bothered to make bootleg servers for are pretty much gone forever. Speaking of unpopular videogame opinions, I wish I could play Darkspore again.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Fake. As if a gamer could punch through anything.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Rutibex posted:

all of the interesting stuff in Bioshock 1 was just a watered down feature from System Shock 2

system shock 2 was released 8 years before bioshock, it's almost like some people want new games to play??

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Icochet posted:

Fake. As if a gamer could punch through anything.

Drywall's pretty lovely, so are the cheap doors they make these days.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Bioshock 1's endgame was trash, but it's really funny that it had a very obvious binary Good/Bad ending setup that people got real mad about. "WTF I only murdered TWO kids and somehow that makes me a complete monster!? That's BULLSHIT!"

I mean, I get that it's frustrating to find out you messed up the ending because you made a dumb choice at the start of the game, but if you're that worried about getting a bad ending maybe don't go around murdering kids for profit?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Saving the kids nets you a higher profit overall anyway, which is dumb. Staying on the good path in games with morality systems should increase the difficulty. If roleplaying is reward enough for you, prove it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I think I've said this before but what I didn't like about it is that while it makes fun of libertarianism, it already lost by taking libertarianism seriously. Like, the city is ruined when you find it but it's implied that it sort of functioned at some point in the past, but libertarians would never even get that far. It makes libertarianism seem like this tempting, compelling thing that should nevertheless be rejected, instead of just a lol fat nerd ideology

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

of all the things that are wrong with bioshock and totally valid to complain about o never once heard anyone complaining that killing little sisters gets you a bad ending, even way back when it came out

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC kind of a point of Rapture is that it was basically an authoritarian dictatorship from the start in order to function at all which had plenty of arbitrary rules based on the ruler's personal neuroses, and basically only functioned as long as it did because people held to the norms from actual civilised nations until rich assholes turned what could have been a world-changing discovery into a dangerous toy.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

of all the things that are wrong with bioshock and totally valid to complain about o never once heard anyone complaining that killing little sisters gets you a bad ending, even way back when it came out

It was a fairly common criticism that the "morality system" was dogshit in the game. For example, if you killed one little sister to see what happens and then saved the next 10, you became mega-villain at the end anyway

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zzulu posted:

It was a fairly common criticism that the "morality system" was dogshit in the game. For example, if you killed one little sister to see what happens and then saved the next 10, you became mega-villain at the end anyway

And yet that's basically exactly how every other game did morality systems from then on.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Zzulu posted:

ah right that totally is dogshit that sucking the organs out of just one little orphan girl gives you a bad guy ending

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

this game needs more of a grayscale morality to deal with the complicated ethics of executing children to liquefy and inject their innards

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i swear BioWare games and their lovely morality sliders have broken peoples brains

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Bioshock 2 theoretically did it better by having 4 or 5 different endings depending on exactly how many Little Sisters you killed on the way, but I think Bioshock 1's system is actually better just for pointing out that even killing one kid just to see what happens is a pretty hosed up thing to do. It's hilarious that either people didn't see that coming or were super into roleplaying and got gutpunched when they found the game didn't accommodate that.

If you just wanted to see what happens if you pressed the "do bad thing" button, that's what save/reload is for FFS.

Voting Floater fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 7, 2019

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
didn't the first biocock let you kill 2 girls before they gave you the bad ending too

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

abigserve posted:

system shock 2 was released 8 years before bioshock, it's almost like some people want new games to play??

yeah, it's a shame they didn't make one

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Just gotta see what happens, maybe the third one cries for help in a slightly different way

lmao at being the stereotypical popculture serial killer irl

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mega Man Legends had a morality system that involved literally kicking puppies. (which they took out of the English version)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If youre gonna have a good person route in a game, punish people for taking it

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mega Man Legends had a morality system that involved literally kicking puppies. (which they took out of the English version)

You can kick trash into shops for decent amounts of cash and it makes you more evil.

The sequel lets you kick the pig to become evil and boy howdy it punishes you.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Bioshock has a lot of bad parts but the cool enemies, the great environments and art and levels are enough to make it a classic regardless of the janky parts.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

ah right that totally is dogshit that sucking the organs out of just one little orphan girl gives you a bad guy ending

That's dumb because it's presented as a gameplay element but then it determines entirely what kind of ending you get -and nothing else mattered. It was just a completely black and white arbitrary "choose a or b and you will become jesus or satan". It was trash.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Zzulu posted:

That's dumb because it's presented as a gameplay element but then it determines entirely what kind of ending you get -and nothing else mattered. It was just a completely black and white arbitrary "choose a or b and you will become jesus or satan". It was trash.

this game needs more of a grayscale morality to deal with the complicated ethics of executing children to liquefy and inject their innards

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah I killed one little girl zombie to see what it did and compared it to the save option and the game decided I was evil

Which was fine, because I wasn't happy with any of the endings. They were super unsatisfying. So was the Bioshock Infinite ending as well tbh

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

I'm gonna break this down real slow, for you

Maybe the game coulda made clear that if you did kill one of the monster girls it'd affect the story so critically?

That's what the game tells you. To me, it reads as "make the evil choice and get stuff NOW or make the good choice and get stuff LATER"

Not "make the good/evil choice and be locked into good/evil storymode". Why on earth would anyone defend such a garbage morality system in a shooter

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Zzulu posted:

Maybe the game coulda made clear that if you did kill one of the monster girls it'd affect the story so critically?

That's what the game tells you. To me, it reads as "make the evil choice and get stuff NOW or make the good choice and get stuff LATER"

Not "make the good/evil choice and be locked into good/evil storymode". Why on earth would anyone defend such a garbage morality system in a shooter

lol holy poo poo

please never breed

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
wow

nice post mate

What I posted was a common criticism of the game at launch. I don't know why this upsets you so much mate

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zzulu posted:

"make the good/evil choice and be locked into good/evil storymode"

"I'm a goon and I don't understand that even a single literal for-profit child-murder automatically makes someone evil for all time a bloo bloo bloo."

If you didn't get what the game was saying, the problem is you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Zzulu posted:

all these years later you're still mad you didn't get the good ending?