Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
St. Brigid of Kildare is said to have turned her bathwater into beer, which explains a lot about Irish brew culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

E: Wrong loving thread

I was wondering why you chose the Unpopular Videogame Opinions thread as the place to post your long scat fetish confession letter lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

QuarkJets posted:

I was wondering why you chose the Unpopular Videogame Opinions thread as the place to post your long scat fetish confession letter lol

You need to stop treating video games as a narrow concept, and open your mind to what video games could become

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

idk make whatever difficulty balance you like imo. if you want to make a challenging game then that's cool and you shouldn't be criticized for making it too hard for some players. if you want to make a cruise game that's honestly not too difficult, low stakes low risk high chill, then that's fine too. it boils down to the creator, i don't begrudge cuphead's devs for making a hard rear end contra game, that's their poo poo right there man

we'll all miss the difficulty settings in a few years when every game just has an AI in the background spying on you to determine actually how much dopamine you need at any given moment to keep playing the game

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

How is long scat different from normal-sized scat - or short scat for that matter?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

How is long scat different from normal-sized scat - or short scat for that matter?

Have you gone through your entire life not understanding that "long" and "short" are different?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Have you gone through your entire life not understanding that "long" and "short" are different?

Yeah but I shouldn't think it affects the taste.

e: I mean I guess the experience lasts longer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

A short scat is like bee bop do be do bop and a long scat is like bedodebobedobodebedobumbimdibbymdoobyybebedomdobibbubibbybibbydobop

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I think it's unpopular opinion but I'm sad that while a lot of old 2d games assets can be extracted and reused or just looked at, there's decades of 3d assets that are forever trapped in their game that no one plays.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
All lot of those decades old 3D games' assets are ugly as poo poo and should be forgotten anyway.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, some NES sprites at least might look good. any kind of 3D model you extract from an N64 game is just going to look like a pile of rear end and triangles

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Hollow Knight is poo poo

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

I was only vaguely aware of what had gone on with Mighty No. 9, so I thought I'd give it a try and see whether it was mostly a case of poorly managed expectations or if it's really a bad game. I can tell you with pretty high certainty that it's actually a stinker, and that there's nothing they could've done to make people like it as is.

MN9 is one of the first games I quit because the controls felt so bad. Like, I think they had an acceptable speed for the character, then cut it in half so that the speed pickups would make him move at that normal speed or something. The tension on the joystick just felt really bad relative to how quickly you moved across the screen.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

20XX gets boring after about an hour and it's still a much better Mega Man X game than MN9.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I got Bloodborne on the freebie month and loved it, beat the poo poo out of that game.

Now I bought Dark Souls 3 on a sale, but before I start I'm not going to be hosed for skipping 1/2 or..?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The best Megaman knockoff is actually Stinkoman

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

20XX gets boring after about an hour and it's still a much better Mega Man X game than MN9.

20XX is a good game, but not at full price.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I got Bloodborne on the freebie month and loved it, beat the poo poo out of that game.

Now I bought Dark Souls 3 on a sale, but before I start I'm not going to be hosed for skipping 1/2 or..?

You'll be fine, just know that some people consider DS3 the worst of the three.

DS3 has some broad themes that would benefit from knowing about the cycle of death and rebirth from the first game but it's not a big deal

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

oh dope posted:

All lot of those decades old 3D games' assets are ugly as poo poo and should be forgotten anyway.

counterpoint: Terminator: Future Shock

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

poverty goat posted:

we'll all miss the difficulty settings in a few years when every game just has an AI in the background spying on you to determine actually how much dopamine you need at any given moment to keep playing the game

I too miss RE4 and every RE game after, which uses an arcade-style rank system.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Godhand and Max Payne also have similar systems.

Man Godhand was good.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Barudak posted:

Man Godhand was good.

loved that one. it looked pretty bad graphics wise even compared to other titles of its era and the camera / tank controls were unusual for a brawler game but once you got into it it owned really hard. ridiculous story, over the top characters and great music - everything i want in a game in that genre.

platinum should make a sequel / spiritual successor.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I would take an hd rerelease honestly

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I would actually recommend playing 3 first tbh. it's going to be the least jarring coming off of Bloodborne. Some people like to talk smack on Dark Souls 3 but it's the best one. it's worth working your way backwards once you are hooked though because they are all great. 2 feels a bit shoddy compared to the others but is still fun.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Rutibex posted:

yeah, some NES sprites at least might look good. any kind of 3D model you extract from an N64 game is just going to look like a pile of rear end and triangles

I like them anyway there's some real nice craftsmanship in a lot of them making the best of a limited budget, there a lot of boring triangle blobs too true yeah.
Also there's countless very very high quality and beautiful assets that are only a year or 2 old that are lost forever now because they were made for some f2p game or multi game that was doa in a month in the fast paced trend chasing part of the industry.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Almost nothing video game related is truly lost compared to a lot of TV, books and to a lesser extent film though. it seems like you can dig almost all of it up in some capacity. it's kind of funny because video games are pretty dumb and they will probably end up being the most thoroughly archived form of media ever.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, there is a lot of space wasted on storing garbage games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Almost nothing video game related is truly lost compared to a lot of TV, books and to a lesser extent film though. it seems like you can dig almost all of it up in some capacity. it's kind of funny because video games are pretty dumb and they will probably end up being the most thoroughly archived form of media ever.

I mean the original code/assets for a lot of games is lost, luckily games you can reverse engineer from finished works and didnt have a period where the masters werent transfered to other mediums and then caught fire.

Like original Bubble Bobble which Taito had to reverse engineer because they lost it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

so much film and early photography is gone. that stuff used to made out of highly flammable material, so any archive that stores old film needs special freezers and containment systems to make sure it doesn't burn the building to the ground.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thousands of years worth of the majority of mankind's creative works are lost forever , but if I can guarantee you one thing, it's that it's very likely that 100 years from now people will be able to access a Let's Play of Custer's Revenge or Galgun if they need to.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

You arent missing anything, the plot doesnt matter at all. DS3 is probably the best one even though DS1 is an absolute classic. DS2 is worth playing just for more dark souls even though its not nearly as good

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Magnitogorsk. posted:

You arent missing anything, the plot doesnt matter at all. DS3 is probably the best one even though DS1 is an absolute classic. DS2 is worth playing just for more dark souls even though its not nearly as good

This dude knows what's up.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Magnitogorsk. posted:

all of this also applies to the Bioshock series.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Thousands of years worth of the majority of mankind's creative works are lost forever , but if I can guarantee you one thing, it's that it's very likely that 100 years from now people will be able to access a Let's Play of Custer's Revenge or Galgun if they need to.

Perhaps but because we've only had digital things for a short time they seem permanent, copies of a software do slowly break down as all the ways to store them aren't indestructible even if they're kept in a sealed vault, they become corrupted over time if no one looks after them and then you can't get them back. The online archives of Custer's revenge may already have errors in them too.
Even if you keep the whole game I would like to have easier access to the assets to save them by themselves, 2d games you can rip the sprites out pretty easily and they still appear all over the place today but 3d things you mostly have to hope you can intercept it as it runs and then hope you can get all the texture files as well if you want a complete model to play with.

If you play 3 first it will probably make 1 less "magic" (but 3 more magic maybe? You've already played bloodborne so maybe that will be your magic souls game memory now?), you should still play 1 though.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 6, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think you are wrong. I just think in context it's all kind of funny.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

Like original Bubble Bobble which Taito had to reverse engineer because they lost it.

no biggie, they probably wouldn't have been able to do anything meaningful with 300kb of poo poo written in assembly anyway

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

no biggie, they probably wouldn't have been able to do anything meaningful with 300kb of poo poo written in assembly anyway

It says here in the code the name for player 1 is Bub and player 2 is... Belgium Isnt a Real Country? <deletes all record of code>

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Shibawanko posted:

The best Megaman knockoff is actually Stinkoman

WHERE'S LEVEL TEN CHAPMANS

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The best LPs are those longplays on YouTube where no-one talks and the games are completed briskly but not perfectly

I agree, the commentary is rarely any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

internet celebrity posted:

all of this also applies to the Bioshock series.

bioshock 3 was the worst triple a game ever made