Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Luckyellow posted:

Isn't that the part that was supposed to prevent a "death spiral" in the first place?
Yes, but:
A) It's not entirely clear that a death spiral is significantly worse than the current situation where people can afford to pay premiums but not actually pay for health care
B) In the event of a death spiral that was much worse than the status quo, there might be a clear call for nationalization, which would both fix the death spiral and be better than what we had anyways
C) The mandate is effectively dead and there is no apparent death spiral, so maybe it just doesn't even matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have not really heard about a death spiral. Costs never stopped rising for healthcare overall, they just stopped rising as fast

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

AOC is a year-old freshman house rep in direct ideological conflict with both the current speaker as well as those for whom the speaker is carrying the water--who are, to be clear: armed and organized white nationalists. I do not stan her like some do, but there is a compelling case to be made for her eating the elephant one bite at a time.

hey speaking of ^^^^ this

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1147668951834476545

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avcS0aYJ2a8

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have not really heard about a death spiral. Costs never stopped rising for healthcare overall, they just stopped rising as fast
The theory goes, if insurers aren't allowed to charge extra or deny coverage to people with pre-existing conditions, then people will simply refuse to have health insurance until they are aware that there is an expensive bill coming, where they will then immediately apply for insurance the day before, and stick the insurer with large bills while paying small premiums. If that were to happen then the business of health insurance becomes pure risk for insurers, and they would just decline to offer insurance since there is no premiums they could set that would offset their costs, therefore we need an individual mandate that makes sure that people don't wait until they know that there's an upcoming large bill to get insurance, and that makes the insurance industry happy. In practice, all of that appears to have been just made up theory crafting (except for the part where insurance companies love to be gifted a captive audience by the federal government, that part is definitely true).

twodot fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 7, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

twodot posted:

The theory goes, if insurers aren't allowed to charge extra or deny coverage to people with pre-existing conditions, then people will simply refuse to have health insurance until they are aware that there is an expensive bill coming, where they will then immediately apply for insurance the day before, and stick the insurer with large bills while paying small premiums. If that were to happen then the business of health insurance becomes pure risk for insurers, and they would just decline to offer insurance since there is no premiums they could set that would offset their costs, therefore we need an individual mandate that makes sure that people don't wait until they know that there's an upcoming large bill to get insurance, and that makes the insurance industry happy. In practice, all of that appears to have been just made up theory crafting (except for the part where insurance companies love to be gifted a captive audience by the federal government, that part is definitely true).
I'm aware of the theory, but like you said it has not happened in practice and I think it would have by now since I think it's been at least a year since Trump effectively killed it by setting the penalty to $0.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Who even is Biden's audience

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1147580240367165440

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Republicans. Biden's audience is Republicans.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

The reporter on the NYT's Bernie Sanders beat consistently fails to identify her sources as corporate lobbyists

quote:

Her career as a lobbyist for many of the industries that would be most impacted by Sanders’ proposals might explain Marsh’s obvious animus against the candidate, as displayed in the May 20 edition of her weekly Fox News column, “Bernie Sanders’ Incredible Shrinking Candidacy—Why He Won’t Be Dem Nominee.” One of Sanders’ apparent insurmountable weaknesses, she wrote, is that people “remember Sanders didn’t support Clinton in the general election against Trump.” People with better memories recall that Sanders was one of the most energetic surrogates for Clinton on the campaign trail, campaigning constantly for her in battleground states (New Yorker, 11/4/16).
Not gonna hold it against anyone who goes scorched-earth against any non-Sanders nominee. Probably not going to do it myself, but not gonna drag anyone for it either.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So how many gently caress ups has biden done in just this month alone?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

The reporter on the NYT's Bernie Sanders beat consistently fails to identify her sources as corporate lobbyists

Not gonna hold it against anyone who goes scorched-earth against any non-Sanders nominee. Probably not going to do it myself, but not gonna drag anyone for it either.

I will if it's against any candidate who publicly promises to immediately close the camps and doesn't backpeddle. Because if Trump wins they're not going anywhere, and they're not going anywhere until Trump loses, and we all know it.

You can argue any other point you want about systemic problems and the NEXT more competent GOP fascist and oncoming climate disaster and every other futurist justification for sitting at home and risking a second Trump term you want. If you willingly refuse to support a candidate who promises to close the camps just because they're not Bernie, you deserve scorn for life. That's not even getting into the OTHER minorities who are suffering and having their lives endangered by Trump every single day, who don't have the luxury of protesting with their vote or lack thereof. But there are plenty of Dems who won't do much for those other minorities either except maybe make incremental progress toward restoring what Trump has already ruined, so fine. But the camps are a non-negotiable issue as far as I'm concerned..

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 7, 2019

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

I will if it's against any candidate who publicly promises to immediately close the camps and doesn't backpeddle. Because if Trump wins they're not going anywhere, and they're not going anywhere until Trump loses, and we all know it.

You can argue any other point you want about systemic problems and the NEXT more competent GOP fascist and oncoming climate disaster and every other futurist justification for sitting at home and risking a second Trump term you want. If you willingly refuse to support a candidate who promises to close the camps just because they're not Bernie, you deserve scorn for life. That's not even getting into the OTHER minorities who are suffering and having their lives endangered by Trump every single day, who don't have the luxury of protesting with their vote or lack thereof. But there are plenty of Dems who won't do much for those other minorities either except maybe make incremental progress toward restoring what Trump has already ruined, so fine. But the camps are a non-negotiable issue as far as I'm concerned..

That these facilities were opened during the Bush and Obama administrations is a nontrivial detail, here.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

. If you willingly refuse to support a candidate who promises to close the camps just because they're not Bernie, you deserve scorn for life.

If they're not named Bernie, they're lying about closing Obama's kiddy death camps, op

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I thought Pelosi and the Dem leadership solved the concentration camp issue? We'll continue to murder children via violence and/or neglect but Pelosi will be promptly informed when a child dies. Bipartisanship works!

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Sanguinia posted:

Sure, just bear in mind when you do that Obama campaigned on closing Guantanamo and didn't do poo poo either, as soon as the GOP gave him an adequate excuse not to.

Like I said, there are candidates I'm more comfortable with, and candidates I'm less comfortable with, but I'm not going to heap scorn on anyone who says e.g. "Harris is a cop and she's full of poo poo about closing the camps just like Obama was about closing Guantanamo" if establishment Dems with the help of the 4th estate and massive institutional advantage, get her the nomination after ratfucking every other candidate who ever said "maybe some things actually can be better." For Harris specifically I haven't completely made up my mind if I'm going to vote for her (I'm leaning "no" though) but what I'm saying is I don't have it in me to drag anyone else who doesn't.

Orgs like the NYT and the rest of them have done more to gently caress over Bernie, and for that matter Warren (save for a brief period where they were warming to her if she was the only other candidate with a shot aside from Biden and Sanders), than they have ever done to stop Trump and white supremacy. They're out their acting like this poo poo with Andy Ngo is as bad as Charlottesville. For every instance of poo poo-talking "Bernie Bros" in the national press you can find another instance of some Cletus Safari bullshit sympathetic to some literal loving Nazi scumbag.

Gulag the lot of these fucks. Living in society is a privilege and they've lost it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Willie Tomg posted:

That these facilities were opened during the Bush and Obama administrations is a nontrivial detail, here.

And if Bush or Obama win the Democratic nomination, I'll keep that detail in mind.

VitalSigns posted:

If they're not named Bernie, they're lying about closing Obama's kiddy death camps, op

Thank god you were here to tell me that. It's not like I have an example from the last handful of DAYS of a major candidate taking time out of her campaign to be absolutely sure she backpeddled her position on school integration bussing because politicians actually care about public perceptions of their integrity or anything.

Any candidate who says they will close the camps and doesn't backpeddle the promise will get my vote in the general. Period. If they fail to live up to that promise, so be it. I took a chance on something higher than a zero. Enjoy living with yourself if you do anything else.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
If someone is barely going to pretend they give a poo poo about the people who vote for them chances are they aren’t about to put any more effort in for the voteless.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sanguinia posted:

And if Bush or Obama win the Democratic nomination, I'll keep that detail in mind.

Thank god you were here to tell me that. It's not like I have an example from the last handful of DAYS of a major candidate taking time out of her campaign to be absolutely sure she backpeddled her position on school integration bussing because politicians actually care about public perceptions of their integrity or anything.

Any candidate who says they will close the camps and doesn't backpeddle the promise will get my vote in the general. Period. If they fail to live up to that promise, so be it. I took a chance on something higher than a zero. Enjoy living with yourself if you do anything else.

Being loud and proud about being a rube with no pattern recognition skills isn't the strong moral stand that you think it is, hth.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I met a Pete Butts supporter IRL today. She liked him because he is young and feels younger generations need a bigger seat at the table of power.

We both talked about how much we hated Biden

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

VitalSigns posted:

I'm always puzzled how people think Bernie, the guy who has had a laser-focus on a single issue since 1972, is somehow going to prioritize all these things that are not that.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

it's more puzzling that you think he's had a laser focus on one issue since 1972

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Since Bernie's one-issue laser focus has been on the issue called "justice" I'm not too worried about him suddenly deciding that concentration camps are ok.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Lemme tell you all how things will go if it isn't Bernie who gets the nomination WRT the concentration camps. Assuming that whatever empty suit they they push through instead actually wins they'll make a lot of noise about banning a couple of the most egregious human rights violations once in office, but given that the GOP will immediately start screaming about how the Dems are opening the borders and whatnot the situation will quietly return to what we have now or worse in the name of bipartisanship, except the libs will stop even pretending that they give a single poo poo and go back to brunch.

So the concentration camps will become normalized and part of the bipartisan consensus, and the exact same libs who are now trying to scold the left to support their Quisling candidates because concentration camps are bad will start scolding the left for being unreasonable and childish because they still want to get rid of the concentration camps.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The difference is though that I don't think Bernie is going to shrug and go silent forever on the issue like Obama did about Guantanamo.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

"we tortured some folks"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I'm always puzzled how people think Bernie, the guy who has had a laser-focus on a single issue since 1972, is somehow going to prioritize all these things that are not that.

please let go of the lies that 2016 has put in your head so we can move on

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Me:] President Sanders its been 2 years when will you fulfill your promise of shutting down the deathcamps?

Pitiful, sundowning Bernie:] Ehhhh? Whats that? Cramps? Well now that you mention it my legs are cramping terribly, thanks for asking

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Yo what are you talking about. He just pushed a bill through a Republican-controlled Senate to end Obama-Trump's genocidal war in Yemen. He obviously cares about more than a single issue

Sanguinia posted:

So your position is that you don't care whether you're being lied to or whether the camps actually close, just the act of voting blue is some kind of moral absolution?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 7, 2019

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
e:^^^ That post was just what desperate hope looks like, OP. I doubt they're a raging rightwing clintonite.

e2: I think.

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I've long suspected that this the case for a lot of the people responsible for the stupider hit pieces about Bernie, but Jesus Christ this is incredibly blatant.

Damage Case posted:

it's more puzzling that you think he's had a laser focus on one issue since 1972

Yeah but I read in an article written by the stepson of the current CEO of Citigroup that Bernie's one issue since 1972 has been to discover how we can be more racist but in secret.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Lemme tell you all how things will go if it isn't Bernie who gets the nomination WRT the concentration camps. Assuming that whatever empty suit they they push through instead actually wins they'll make a lot of noise about banning a couple of the most egregious human rights violations once in office, but given that the GOP will immediately start screaming about how the Dems are opening the borders and whatnot the situation will quietly return to what we have now or worse in the name of bipartisanship, except the libs will stop even pretending that they give a single poo poo and go back to brunch.

So the concentration camps will become normalized and part of the bipartisan consensus, and the exact same libs who are now trying to scold the left to support their Quisling candidates because concentration camps are bad will start scolding the left for being unreasonable and childish because they still want to get rid of the concentration camps.

The camps will certainly be a little less inhumane once they move into more permanent buildings and forgo the whole tent city/overcrowded county jail aesthetic. We'll also shitcan a few of the more Trump connected higher ups, and pull a starbucks style "every ICE/CBP officer goes to sensitivity training today" program at some point.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 7, 2019

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Generally speaking libs pass the largest structural changes needed for fascist policy. Like the original Bush era program this poo poo was born from was just meaningless slop they threw to their swine base. No Republican would have ever dared to push things this far this fast. It was Obama who expanded ICE into the sprawling nationwide Gestapo, and set up these loving camps. Anyone who complained was a wrecker. Less than 0 room in the party for criticism at the time.
And the reason he did it?
"To show Republicans we were acting in good faith." As a loving present for McConnell. '
;-*Hey turtleboy ;-* if I set up some concentration camps will you kill social security with me?' :a2m:
The next time you read a story about how ICE is running toddler knife fights in these shitholes, remember that this is all Obama standing outside of McConnells window with a boombox.
And that pretty much everyone but Bernie will do the same loving thing.

Vote Trump over Biden. I'm loving serious.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Zurakara posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

Being loud and proud about being a rube with no pattern recognition skills isn't the strong moral stand that you think it is, hth.

This is the democratic party primary thread

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Sanguinia posted:

Thank god you were here to tell me that. It's not like I have an example from the last handful of DAYS of a major candidate taking time out of her campaign to be absolutely sure she backpeddled her position on school integration busing because politicians actually care about public perceptions of their integrity or anything.

I had to look this up because, honestly, I've been spending a lot less time ITT and paying attention in general these last couple weeks, but wow. So Kamala fully already chucked her own "powerful personal story" in the trash and moved on. That was so Selina Meyer it's shocking. But I guess not unexpected.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't seen any of the candidates say anything about the border camps yet. Maybe I've missed it? It seems like a current, pressing issue they'd like to publicly comment on. Did I miss their stances somewhere?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

OB_Juan posted:

I haven't seen any of the candidates say anything about the border camps yet. Maybe I've missed it? It seems like a current, pressing issue they'd like to publicly comment on. Did I miss their stances somewhere?

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1146214276165722112

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1146070277589065729

And then of course in the debates: https://www.politico.com/video/2019/06/26/julian-castro-on-migrant-detention-conditions-it-should-piss-us-all-off-068387

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

OB_Juan posted:

You did. Just Google it. Castro shived Beto over it on national television.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

OB_Juan posted:

Yeah a bunch of them went to a camp a while back and others have had statements and positions out for months/years.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Zurakara posted:

hey buddy

you know that uh

there's a real difference between electing "person who theoretically could potentially collaborate with repubs to ruin everything" and "person who definitely will at all times collaborate with republicans to ruin everything"?

and that just maybe, one of those is worse than the other?

i don't like biden or most the current candidates for being way too capitalist but it's pretty loving obvious to anyone with at least two brain cells to rub together that biden would be a much, much, much, much, much better choice than trump

like, come on you clearly know this

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Iamgoofball posted:

hey buddy

you know that uh

there's a real difference between electing "person who theoretically could potentially collaborate with repubs to ruin everything" and "person who definitely will at all times collaborate with republicans to ruin everything"?

and that just maybe, one of those is worse than the other?

i don't like biden or most the current candidates for being way too capitalist but it's pretty loving obvious to anyone with at least two brain cells to rub together that biden would be a much, much, much, much, much better choice than trump

like, come on you clearly know this

I'm gonna need to see some receipts proving that Biden is actually to the left of Trump. Like yeah don't actually vote for Trump, just stay home in November or write in Lucy Parsons or whatever.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
I have said it before, when it was more controversial, but if Biden is the nominee I will canvass gotv for trump

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Any possibility that Biden (or any other current candidates) were involved with Epstein? I haven’t heard anything but it would be nice to rule that out