Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
So I just beat the final final boss in 11. Just have to ask one thing. Did he look like cell with jiren's head to anybody else? I know toriyama does the character designs but drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
100%

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Thanks for the advice. I'll nab it when it drops on Switch in September. With DQBII coming out soon anyhow I don't really need to rush for DQXI.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 5, 2019

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Hoffadoff posted:

So I just beat the final final boss in 11. Just have to ask one thing. Did he look like cell with jiren's head to anybody else? I know toriyama does the character designs but drat.

Toriyama is really, really good at some things. Designing unique characters that are mostly humanoid in appearance tends not to be one of them (with some exceptions).

But monsters that are just straight up monsters? He’s great.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He does good costume design and puts a limited number of bodies in them.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
He created the slime, so he is an all star in my book (also the monster design is probably DQ’s strongest feature)

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
I wasnt complaining but maybe it sounded like I was. I enjoyed all the monsters in the game. Some were very cute and had great names. Some were just cool looking and I enjoyed hitting them with a sword. I was just kinda thrown off a bit when I got to the big bad and saw cells body and jiren's head. I mean honestly the only reason I even bought the game was because my girlfriend told me toriyama did all the character designs and I'm a giant dragonball freak. I enjoyed all 110 hours I put into the game. I'll likely play 12 if he still does the designs and it comes out on the ps5 or whatever.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hoffadoff posted:

I'll likely play 12 if he still does the designs

This is more certain than the sun rising tomorrow

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Hoffadoff posted:

lots of DQ final bosses look like that tbh

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Hoffadoff posted:

I wasnt complaining but maybe it sounded like I was. I enjoyed all the monsters in the game. Some were very cute and had great names. Some were just cool looking and I enjoyed hitting them with a sword. I was just kinda thrown off a bit when I got to the big bad and saw cells body and jiren's head. I mean honestly the only reason I even bought the game was because my girlfriend told me toriyama did all the character designs and I'm a giant dragonball freak. I enjoyed all 110 hours I put into the game. I'll likely play 12 if he still does the designs and it comes out on the ps5 or whatever.

Lavos' second to last form was also a Cell. You'd think he'd at least change the color scheme

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

When the game first came out I thought Toriyama's art style looked a little too plain for HD graphics, but now that I've played the game I think my only complaint is that the environments could match the characters better. I love love love the game overall and I'm probably gonna go back and play the old games I haven't finished on mobile when I'm done with this one.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Finally beat XI and I really think this might be the best game I've ever played. I cared about all the characters and the locations felt so alive and real. Haven't felt like this about a game since I was a kid!

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I really want them to make a Heroes 3 just because of Sylvando.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

bentacos posted:

I really want them to make a Heroes 3 just because of Sylvando.

After platinuming XI, I needed more DQ, so I bought Heroes II and was pleasantly surprised. I mean, I liked the first one, but it was pretty basic. Adding the overworld did so much for that game. It made it feel like a real DQ game, just with a different style of combat. The love letter to DQ4 by including most of the cast helped, too.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://gematsu.com/2019/07/dragon-quest-ix-10th-anniversary-special-live-stream-set-for-july-11

quote:

GameTV will host a Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies 10th anniversary special live stream on July 11 at 21:00 JST. You will be able to watch it on YouTube.

The broadcast will feature Dragon Quest IX producer Ryuutarou Ichimura from Square Enix, director Jin Fujisawa from Story Note, director Akihiro Hino from Level-5, and MC Reiko Mihashi. Segments include memories and behind the scenes stories from development, multiplayer, a Q&A, and more.

According to Ichimura on Twitter, there will not be any particular announcements during the broadcast.

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies first launched for DS in Japan in July 2009, and in North America and Europe in July 2010.

This looks fun. DQIX was a very ambitious game to put on the DS.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Luceo posted:

After platinuming XI, I needed more DQ, so I bought Heroes II and was pleasantly surprised. I mean, I liked the first one, but it was pretty basic. Adding the overworld did so much for that game. It made it feel like a real DQ game, just with a different style of combat. The love letter to DQ4 by including most of the cast helped, too.

The first one got repetitive and was kind of a slog towards the end to finish. Are the mini boss enemies still pretty tanky? Thinking about grabbing it since I think it's on sale.

I've never played DQIX but I watched a YouTube video of some guys doing coop and it looks so fun. I've only heard good things about the game but I sort of want to hold back and hope a remake is announced so I can experience it with the coop.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

corn in the bible posted:

lots of DQ final bosses look like that tbh

Nah Estark and Necrosaro look more like one of the random monster characters from OG Dragonball. Though he still couldn't help but make Necrosaro turn green...

If they announce a DQ9 remake for the Switch and with online multiplayer instant buy. Especially if maps can be swapped online because then getting the map with the MKS-only floor will be easier for people outside of Japan without needing to go to something like PAX.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Luceo posted:

Assuming the crafting system is the same as the first: Do you get all the recipes to forge items in the first go around?

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Assuming the crafting system is the same as the first: Do you get all the recipes to forge items in the first go around?

Nah, you just get accessories from chests or monster drops, then you upgrade them with various materials, no having to find or buy recipes.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Awesome. I’ve actually been replaying IX on and off these past few weeks and it’s still fun as hell.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Social Animal posted:

The first one got repetitive and was kind of a slog towards the end to finish. Are the mini boss enemies still pretty tanky? Thinking about grabbing it since I think it's on sale.

Yeah, they can be, but you get pretty powerful toward the end as well. Stagger them and the damage pours in.

It's still a musou game, but as I said, the overworld changes the feel of it. Also, it seems really lovingly-crafted by DQ fans for DQ fans. Healix has a beret and plays drill sergeant with Ruff. :3:

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I've been enjoying DQHeroes 1. It's nice to play a musou game that doesn't look like rear end

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

If they announce a DQ9 remake for the Switch and with online multiplayer instant buy. Especially if maps can be swapped online because then getting the map with the MKS-only floor will be easier for people outside of Japan without needing to go to something like PAX.

I live in a city far away from any kind gaming conventions and when DQ9 first came out some people organized a few local meet ups on gamefaqs. I went to one at a mall food court and it was surprisingly chill with maybe a dozen people of all ages. I don't remember the details but there were several things to trade in addition to the metal slime map like special characters or something.

The whole social aspect was pretty cool but obviously not sustainable in the long run. They would probably have to do some online thing in any remake but just googling the code would ruin the original intent.

I really liked DQ9 and they did a good job with the classic DQ vignettes but the main story was awful. Maybe I just don't remember but I don't think there was any kind of characterization for the antagonist at all. The post game wasn't that great either because you just grind every class to 99 and fight the same bosses over and over until they become impossible.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I just beat DQ7 in 50 hours which was shorter than my DQ11 playthrough. Even though it was about the same length it still felt like a century playing it because of the constant back and forth involving the dungeons and whatever else to progress the story. It entertained me I guess but it sits next to DQ6 as the only two DQ games I'll never replay. Also the combat is autopilot mode after Alltrades like drat thin air just shreds the monster encounters.

I really loved the Alltrades Abbey vignette. Wouldn't be surprised if that's a favorite for most people. Though I bet they could have shaved off at least 25% of the stories and no one would have missed them.

Can't believe people did 100 hours on the original PS1 game drat. After looking at some videos I do think the sprite style fits the game better.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Social Animal posted:

I really loved the Alltrades Abbey vignette. Wouldn't be surprised if that's a favorite for most people.

lol that's like the most universally hated sequence in the game

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

If this statement is true that means someone out there liked soap opera town and I refuse to accept that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

U-DO Burger posted:

Are we forgetting Nottagen?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Social Animal posted:

I just beat DQ7 in 50 hours which was shorter than my DQ11 playthrough. Even though it was about the same length it still felt like a century playing it because of the constant back and forth involving the dungeons and whatever else to progress the story. It entertained me I guess but it sits next to DQ6 as the only two DQ games I'll never replay. Also the combat is autopilot mode after Alltrades like drat thin air just shreds the monster encounters.

I really loved the Alltrades Abbey vignette. Wouldn't be surprised if that's a favorite for most people. Though I bet they could have shaved off at least 25% of the stories and no one would have missed them.

Can't believe people did 100 hours on the original PS1 game drat. After looking at some videos I do think the sprite style fits the game better.

LOL my original playthrough was like 50 hours before I quit, and I don't believe I was halfway done.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Zore posted:

Are we forgetting Nottagen?

Nottagen worth it purely for the name.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

HPanda posted:

Nottagen worth it purely for the name.

Also you can let Nottagen be destroyed forever.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm just under 30 hours in DQVII and just saved the desert people and their Queen

I also finished Dragon Quest I on mobile and I think it holds up rather well for a 30+ year old game.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

OhFunny posted:

I'm just under 30 hours in DQVII and just saved the desert people and their Queen

I also finished Dragon Quest I on mobile and I think it holds up rather well for a 30+ year old game.

Dragon Quest I (especially the remakes) holds up pretty well in part because it's short enough to not wear out its welcome. I particularly like the mobile port since it blends elements of the original localization with the new punny monster names.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Caidin posted:

If this statement is true that means someone out there liked soap opera town and I refuse to accept that.
Yeah, for me Verdham/Greenthumb Gardens is bar none the worst part of 7. Dumb soap opera drama and not even a dungeon to clear or shards to get. I wish you could just leave after you heal the guy and the island would be there in the present. Nothing after that adds to the plot or improves anything in any way.

Alltrades may be a rough sequence where the game takes away all your hard-earned powers, but at least it adds to the plot and there's a suitable reward at the end in the form of class changing.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

Ah cause of the whole no abilities thing? But the story was cool :(

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Social Animal posted:

Ah cause of the whole no abilities thing? But the story was cool :(

i personally loved it as much as i hated it because it was such an incredible dick move that i couldn't help but admire the devs for it. it's a very memorable moment in the game! but everyone else i've talked to about it just hated it because it lasted several hours

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
alltrades is only bad because it's a combination of so many otherwise minor flaws. it's probably the longest vignette in the game, as well as the only one that locks you in the entire time. then there's the obvious no abilities part. there's lots of backtracking, though that's hardly unique to alltrades. finally, the bullshit about unbeatable bosses where it isn't immediately clear they are unbeatable.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Social Animal posted:

Believe it. I loved DQ7 but it was also the game that made me realize that no, I don't actually want 100+ hour long FF and DQ games.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I bought DW7 on PS1 on release, and DQ7 on 3DS on release.

I have finished neither.

In fact, I don't think I've finished a mainline DQ since 4.

I should go back and finish up XI while I curse Square Enix for not porting the mobile versions of DQ to PC or a modern console

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ugh, I've been right at the true final boss fight in DQVII 3DS for years but haven't put the time down to grind my party up to beat him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The way DQ7 handles Alltrades is so bold I can't help but love it.