Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Did they? Figured she's gonna be a reporter, not a detective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I honestly expect part of the series end will be Hawkins closed down under the cover of a Love Canal type disaster

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Solice Kirsk posted:

Alexei went out a winner. Something that all of us should aspire to.

I liked his little story. There isn't really alot to go on because he doesn't speak english and he was only in a few episodes. But it felt like he got a glimpse of america after being taken out of the soviet base. Wanting icees and wanting to watch looney toons. I also thought it was pretty touching when he was remarking how the fair looked like fun for americans and the conspiracy guy said, "you don't have to be american to have fun".

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 7, 2019

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Mokinokaro posted:

I honestly expect part of the series end will be Hawkins closed down under the cover of a Love Canal type disaster

a what now

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

LMAO the Duffer Brothers are in trouble with scolds for showing not just smoking, but clear and obvious product placement for Marlboro and are promising not to do it again in season 4.

Sounds like they should just smoke a nice, cool refreshing cigarette and calm down

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
This is your country. This is flavor country.

The upside down is camel town.

Happy 4th of July from your friends at Philip Morris.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

It put the "Super" and "fun" in Superfund.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Hooker Chemical Company you say

Wow this season is dark

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
You called it goon, coke has re-released New Coke.

https://www.cokestore.com/1985?utm_medium=social&utm_source=instagrambio&utm_content=brand1985

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I can't even remember what New Coke tasted like.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Solice Kirsk posted:

I can't even remember what New Coke tasted like.

Coca-Cola without sugar is Coke Zero

Diet Coke with sugar is New Coke

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Is this gonna be like crystal pepsi all over again

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I appreciated Hopper gabbing and chugging a Jolt Cola when given the chance, a man of fine taste.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Coca-Cola without sugar is Coke Zero

Diet Coke with sugar is New Coke

The best part of Diet Coke is the chemically taste of fake sugar. They're gonna ruin Diet Coke with sugar!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Solice Kirsk posted:

The best part of Diet Coke is the chemically taste of fake sugar. They're gonna ruin Diet Coke with sugar!

Oh no, that chemical flavor is amplified by the sugar.

New Coke fans begrudgingly switched to Diet Coke when New Coke was cancelled because they still wanted that gross perfume counter residue mouth burn flavor.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Episode 8 theorycrafting spoilers:

I see everyone saying Hopper is alive and giving many reasons for it. Some think the Russians took him and he's the guy in the mid-credits scene. Others say he jumped into the Upside-Down before the machine exploded. Neither of those seem right to me.

Everyone theorycrafting is focusing on the line from his letter, "But, please, if you don't mind, for the sake of your poor old dad, keep the door open three inches", to say he's trapped and they need to keep the portal to the Upside-Down open a crack for him. I think, that like the Russian's mentioning "the American", that this is a red herring. Way too obvious to actually be Hopper.

So what do I actually happened? Well, Joyce turns the keys and closes her eyes. When we see the machine explode, Hopper isn't there next to it. There seems like no reasonable way to escape. Through the lightning from the machine would destroy him, the portal is across a giant gap that theres no reasonable way for him to jump. I think the answer is in a different line from his letter.

"I don't want things to change. So I think maybe that's why I came here, to try to maybe... stop that change. To turn back the clock. To make things go back to how they were."

Hopper mysteriously disappearing from platform at the last possible moment makes sense if season 4 is a time travel plotline. A lot of that was heavily forshadowed this season. And then at the end, they show the Byers family moving away twice. We see them leave, then they're back to before they loaded up the truck as Eleven finished reading the note and they leave again. Back to the Future was a major presence for a lot of this season. We had a russian Terminator, another series with a lot of time travel themes. The original pitch for the show also included the characters traveling through time. It was called Montauk, which was a reference to an MKUltra style government secret project about time travel in Long Island.

Somehow the kids in Season 4 are going to get a device built, in which the Planck constant is going to be an important point, and Eleven will have to use it along with her powers to pop in at the last moment and steal Hopper away from his death in the past and to safety back in their future.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Nuggan posted:

I see everyone saying Hopper is alive and giving many reasons for it. Some think the Russians took him and he's the guy in the mid-credits scene. Others say he jumped into the Upside-Down before the machine exploded. Neither of those seem right to me.

Everyone theorycrafting is focusing on the line from his letter, "But, please, if you don't mind, for the sake of your poor old dad, keep the door open three inches", to say he's trapped and they need to keep the portal to the Upside-Down open a crack for him. I think, that like the Russian's mentioning "the American", that this is a red herring. Way too obvious to actually be Hopper.

So what do I actually happened? Well, Joyce turns the keys and closes her eyes. When we see the machine explode, Hopper isn't there next to it. There seems like no reasonable way to escape. Through the lightning from the machine would destroy him, the portal is across a giant gap that theres no reasonable way for him to jump. I think the answer is in a different line from his letter.

"I don't want things to change. So I think maybe that's why I came here, to try to maybe... stop that change. To turn back the clock. To make things go back to how they were."

Hopper mysteriously disappearing from platform at the last possible moment makes sense if season 4 is a time travel plotline. A lot of that was heavily forshadowed this season. And then at the end, they show the Byers family moving away twice. We see them leave, then they're back to before they loaded up the truck as Eleven finished reading the note and they leave again. Back to the Future was a major presence for a lot of this season. We had a russian Terminator, another series with a lot of time travel themes. The original pitch for the show also included the characters traveling through time. It was called Montauk, which was a reference to an MKUltra style government secret project about time travel in Long Island.

Somehow the kids in Season 4 are going to get a device built, in which the Planck constant is going to be an important point, and Eleven will have to use it along with her powers to pop in at the last moment and steal Hopper away from his death in the past and to safety back in their future.

This feels weirdly plausible to me, especially since it could also provide an explanation for El losing her powers—that if El physically goes back into the past, the presence of two Els at the same point in time would somehow cancel out each other's powers or something along those lines. Could also be a neat way to explore the nature of the Upside-Down if it's involved.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
I can't believe there are people complaining about Soviet antagonists in a series set in the 80s and aping a whole lot of 80s stuff and with the person the series revolves around having gained her powers through MKUltra, the CIA program concerned about finding weird new poo poo to use against Soviet Union.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

not a bot posted:

I can't believe there are people complaining about Soviet antagonists in a series set in the 80s and aping a whole lot of 80s stuff and with the person the series revolves around having gained her powers through MKUltra, the CIA program concerned about finding weird new poo poo to use against Soviet Union.

I will say that while the Soviets are natural antagonists for this show and I expected them to show up at some point, the massive underground base was a bit much.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

is literally the tagline of 80s movies and TV shows.

Also, fuckin lol at people going "there's too many people smoking". Like, this is WAAAY less than it actually was.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I will say that while the Soviets are natural antagonists for this show and I expected them to show up at some point, the massive underground base was a bit much.

Listing that as a negative is crazy to me, that was awesome

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nuggan posted:

This would also explain the disappearance of Dustin's teeth from last season to this one!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Regy Rusty posted:

Listing that as a negative is crazy to me, that was awesome

eh, just kinda struck me as weirdly implausible. (Which, yeah, I know. Little girl has psychic powers? "Sounds good." Evil monstrosity from another dimension is trying to infiltrate and take over? "All fine." Soviets have an underground base under a shopping mall? "What, am I expected to believe they just had a magic digging machine?" :reject:)

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Solice Kirsk posted:

This would also explain the disappearance of Dustin's teeth from last season to this one!

Good point - Austin Powers 2 established that time travel is hell on dental work

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

New season was very silly. Everyone turned into an action hero and the whole premise became insane. In other words, the perfect 80s franchise sequel. I loved it.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Regarding the russians: I thought their base was just the basement secret area of the Hawkins lab. The shopping mall, and some of the outer properties, were just areas for deliveries and contained some long tunnels that led to the main base. So they didn't even actually build it, they were just using a base that was already there. They probably brought in some new equipment and remodeled a little, but they didn't build a massive underground complex from scratch

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Nuggan posted:

The original pitch was not called Montauk. The Duffer Brothers are were going to be sued for allegedly stealing the story from Charles Kessler, who wrote [s]Montauk[/s].

https://deadline.com/2019/05/stranger-things-plagiarism-lawsuit-duffer-brothers-ended-1202607681/
Ops I thought the guy claiming they stole it, was called Montauk.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 7, 2019

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Just Chamber posted:

Sounds like they should just smoke a nice, cool refreshing cigarette and calm down

I’m a non smoker and I barely noticed smoking this season. But then again I didn’t mind the product placement and thought it was funny.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CainFortea posted:

is literally the tagline of 80s movies and TV shows.

Also, fuckin lol at people going "there's too many people smoking". Like, this is WAAAY less than it actually was.

Is the goal of this show to just imitate the idiocy of the 80s? Ninjas were also pretty big in the 80s, maybe we can have some of those next season. And at the end, Hopper teams up with the Mujahideen, and blasts the Russians with explosive arrows, rocket launchers and gatling guns.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

And More posted:

Is the goal of this show to just imitate the idiocy of the 80s? Ninjas were also pretty big in the 80s, maybe we can have some of those next season. And at the end, Hopper teams up with the Mujahideen, and blasts the Russians with explosive arrows, rocket launchers and gatling guns.

I really like how you're trying to be some kinda gatekeeper snob with this and yet you just explained an awesome finale to Hopper escaping the russian prison.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

And More posted:

Jesus dude, put that inside info you have about season 4 in spoiler tags ffs. Not gonna lie though, sounds pretty dope.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Wasn't this literally the most obvious turn of events in the history of pop culture? On top of the obvious cigarette commercial, this season was also a very obvious commercial for New Coke

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And ice cream. I really want ice cream now.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CainFortea posted:

I really like how you're trying to be some kinda gatekeeper snob with this and yet you just explained an awesome finale to Hopper escaping the russian prison.

It's actually intended as a serious question. Is that the point of this show? They don't really seem interested in keeping the tone of the first season, so I have to wonder if that is where we're headed.

Edit: Btw. I recommend Rambo 3 and American Ninja 2 as a double feature of rad dumb 80s movies that are a bit awkward nowadays.

And More fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 7, 2019

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Very surprised to see them highlighting the speed and efficiency of Soviet engineering.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Nuggan posted:

And then at the end, they show the Byers family moving away twice. We see them leave, then they're back to before they loaded up the truck as Eleven finished reading the note and they leave again.

Your theory seems oddly plausible, but I’m pretty sure this is just a result of lovely editing, which this season has plenty of (especially weird moments like this where it jumps back literally a few minutes into the past and then keeps going like nothing happened)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like it's worth clarifying that Stranger Things is in trouble for including cigarettes so much. Not because it included paid product placement which once again would be legally dicey since cigarette companies can't market to kids.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 7, 2019

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Stranger Things 3 - Welcome to Marlboro Country

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Your theory seems oddly plausible, but I’m pretty sure this is just a result of lovely editing, which this season has plenty of (especially weird moments like this where it jumps back literally a few minutes into the past and then keeps going like nothing happened)

Yeah, this part isn't rock solid in the theory or anything, but it fit the theme so I decided to include it. Definitely could just be weird editing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Bruteman posted:

Stranger Things 3 - Welcome to Marlboro Country

Turns out the Upside Down is triggered by Hopper's latent lung/liver cancer combo. In an unexpected twist, the fourth season of Stranger Things is a big homage to St. Elsewhere.