Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
https://twitter.com/AzzaBamboo/status/1147607683329138689

I'm still relatively new to the game, and it'd be the first time playing these jobs. I hope they're good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Blue Mage is stupid good, Berserker is pretty good when you only have to deal with one, and Geomancer is much better on the version you’re playing.

Dragoon sure exists!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

White Wind is a good healing spell in the hands of a heavy armor job, and Lance is a fantastic secondary ability for a Blue Mage.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

How rude.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I mean, he's not wrong, Bartz is literally a hobo.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

ultrafilter posted:

White Wind is a good healing spell in the hands of a heavy armor job, and Lance is a fantastic secondary ability for a Blue Mage.

The Book of Magick, Vol. III
'I'm a mage who knows how to Lance...
This is the secret to my strength...'

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Cattail Prophet posted:

I mean, he's not wrong, Bartz is literally a hobo.

Be nice, he's an orphan.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

ItBreathes posted:

Be nice, he's an orphan.

By the Earth Crystal, so is everyone else in the party.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

KataraniSword posted:

That channel's loving great, he did a similar-length dissection of Dancing Mad.

okay i'm gonna have to watch that, Dancing Mad is a solid contender for my favorite 32-bit music

edit wait no it's 16

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 7, 2019

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Raitzeno posted:

By the Earth Crystal, so is everyone else in the party.

Can Galuf legally be called an orphan at his age

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

What level should I be before attempting Liquid Flame with quadzerks? As a follow-up, which place should I be getting EXP?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

LiefKatano posted:

Can Galuf legally be called an orphan at his age

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xuq7kdNaOk

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

If I have no source of control or the confuse spell do I only have the possible confuse from dancing dagger as a way of learning white wind?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

rodbeard posted:

If I have no source of control or the confuse spell do I only have the possible confuse from dancing dagger as a way of learning white wind?

That's correct. If you get Dancer (using fiesta mod, etc) before Ronka you could dance an Enchanted Fan into giving it up, but otherwise you're daggering Hellraisers in meatfort.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

That's correct. If you get Dancer (using fiesta mod, etc) before Ronka you could dance an Enchanted Fan into giving it up, but otherwise you're daggering Hellraisers in meatfort.

The internet tells me Ghido's cave has Enchanted Fans, which is solidly before meatfort. Does the internet lie to me?

edit: Damnit, that's the Aeroga source. Meatfort it is.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Asking again because I honestly don't know the Omega tools that well:

Berserker, Blue, Chemist, Dragoon.

Is it possible without a lot of grinding?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Azza Bamboo posted:

https://twitter.com/AzzaBamboo/status/1147607683329138689

I'm still relatively new to the game, and it'd be the first time playing these jobs. I hope they're good.

I’m not quoting the right post of yours but you get the magic lamp by running up a river with Boko in W3.

It’s really, really easy and enemy-free

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Weird BIAS posted:

Asking again because I honestly don't know the Omega tools that well:

Berserker, Blue, Chemist, Dragoon.

Is it possible without a lot of grinding?

Absolutely, chemist can solo omega at fairly low levels. Mightyguard and white wind in addition makes it even easier. I haven't done the math, but I assume a max level(via mix) goon jumping with trident will be your best damage source. I personally prefer fighting zerked Omega, but you can also make your whole party immune to most of his attack routine.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Wait a tick you can zerk Omega? Really?

e: well that became way too easy

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jul 7, 2019

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Chemists can zerk almost anything.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

derra posted:

Chemists can zerk almost anything.

What can't they? I though kiss is one of those abilities that bypasses all immunities.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

So, Knight/Mystic Knight/Ninja/Thief.

I usually like going for the Brave Blade when I get Knight, but I assume this team needs the Chicken Knife to have a decent shot at beating Omega?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Blue/Summoner/Geo/Dancer. This is just going to be a bunch of !Summon with !Blue as backup, right?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

1234567890num posted:

White/Mystic/Bard/Cannon. This team has absolutely no problem with random encounters.

Chicken Knife with 0 power at 99 Strength, Agility and Level.

The combined power of !Sing and !Combine.

That's 6/10

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Alxprit posted:

What level should I be before attempting Liquid Flame with quadzerks? As a follow-up, which place should I be getting EXP?

I want to say I was around 20? It took a few tries, but I think I just ground levels in the fire ship for that. After that when I was grinding for sandworm, I went by Istory. The mini dragons give a ton of XP, and you'll get enough money to buy Flame Rings to negate their worst attacks. (And coral rings, and angel rings...)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hackan Slash posted:

What can't they? I though kiss is one of those abilities that bypasses all immunities.

It bypasses it on SNES; on GBA, it's checked against Blink immunity, which is not common but a lot of major bosses have it.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Hempuli posted:

Oh hey, I've kind of wanted to do one of these, so here goes:

I'll donate $10 for every screenshot of either NED, Shinryu or Omega being beaten with only one team-member alive, up to $100. Preferably with the teammates falling to enemy attacks, but eh, feel free to set things up however you want. :toxx:

Ritznit posted:

Alright, time for me to bust out a :siren: DONATION PLEDGE :siren:

I will donate 5$, up to 50$ (unless I find more money in the seat cushions when I move next week) for every goon who triple-crowns without Time Mage, Chemist, Bard or Beastmaster. As far as I understand, those are the most effective options for crazy boss shenanigans. I know there are others, and I don't want this to be completely impossible, just no playing with the super broken stuff. I'm happy to donate for anyone who is willing to go through a bit of extra hassle.

Please provide screenshots of your full party with their equipped jobs and kill screens for the bosses! Extra thumbs up from me if you give a quick rundown of how you beat the bosses.

Godspeed. For a good cause! :black101:

I've already done these two toxxes, but I accidentally did them again.

Shinryu is an absolute cakewalk with White Mage. Freelancer being able to use Apollo's Harp definitely speeds things up.

Ribbons make Grand Cross a non-issue. I equipped Red Dresses I stole from Phoneix Tower for more Sword Dances.

I'm actually very proud of how I managed to beat Omega. It was with Ribbon and Flame Shield negating most of Omega's moves, Trident to pierce its defense, with Red Dress and Hermes Sandals to top it off. Then it was careful application of Cura/Reflect/Hi-Potion, only attacking after reflecting Omega's Search move.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 7, 2019

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

jaclynhyde posted:

I want to say I was around 20? It took a few tries, but I think I just ground levels in the fire ship for that. After that when I was grinding for sandworm, I went by Istory. The mini dragons give a ton of XP, and you'll get enough money to buy Flame Rings to negate their worst attacks. (And coral rings, and angel rings...)

20 doesn't seem so bad, I'll try around then. Thankfully once I get the fire crystal I won't have to worry, since Pure Chaos gave me Ninja for my Wind job. Playing unmodded games has its own charm I think.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Samuel Clemens posted:

So, Knight/Mystic Knight/Ninja/Thief.

I usually like going for the Brave Blade when I get Knight, but I assume this team needs the Chicken Knife to have a decent shot at beating Omega?

Ehhhh? Chicken knife will obviously make things go faster, and you're definitely not damage racing Omega without it, but if you're willing to commit to a slower strat you can conceivably make lesser knives work. Thundaga sword chicken knife starts capping around the mid 30s, which is the lowest level I'd even consider tackling Omega at with that team anyway. At that level, Sasuke does about 4k, Assassin's dagger about 3.5, and thief/air knives are somewhere between 2 and 2.5. These damage numbers are essentially identical for both mystic knight and ninja, incidentally. More levels beyond the mid 30s will gradually decrease the relative value of the chicken knife. You've also got lightning scrolls to help compensate for the lack of good knives, and !spellblade will pump up their damage, albeit not as much as a dedicated magic job would.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Bufuman posted:

:toxx:
I hereby pledge to donate $2 on behalf of any player that complete a run with any duplicate jobs in any mode where it can happen (EXCEPT UPGRADE, I'm looking for honest luck-of-the-draw duplicates, though I'll also accept runs with dupes through the Job Fair), with a cap of $50. However, I'll add an extra $10 outside of the cap if any player completes a run with four of the same job (again, no Upgrade). I'd like to go with more, but sadly bills are kind of tight lately. But like Admiral Joeslop on his pledge, I may be willing to bump this number up if my finances improve before the last day of donations. Double up, people!

Two thieves, two dangerous.

Overall I liked this run a lot. Between flee and black magic, I got to NED at around level 26 without breaking a sweat. Then I just mindlessly grinded probably a bit too much before fighting Ned. It was a pretty easy fight except that I forgot grand coif has more hp than flexdeath(thought it was the other way around). I really liked artful dodger on Black mage, and while mimic wasn't that useful in boss fights, the ability to slap the 30% mp on was a boon.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Nasgate posted:

while mimic wasn't that useful in boss fights, the ability to slap the 30% mp on was a boon.

I've never really seen anyone find a good use for Mimic. The three open slots are a different story, but there's just too much randomness in what the last action was for doing it again to be reliably useful.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Run 8 Pure Chaos + Fifth Job: Chemist, Black Mage, Samurai, Summoner Dancer

Well that was really easy. Like the easiest Omega ever thanks to chemistry, reflect, and having the samurai wear a diamond helm and flame shield while the black mage got boosted to lvl 79 or 80 so they could land 9999 damage Thundagas on Omega. Shinryu was the old "berserk and blind" standby (thanks !mix). NED I kinda just gave everyone all the dragonfangs and holy waters they could handle. Bunch of lvl 99+ jerks with double hp, heavy, death shield, absorb fire/ice/lightning, and dragon defense kiiiinda murdered NED. He didn't get off almagest or grand cross.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

Ehhhh? Chicken knife will obviously make things go faster, and you're definitely not damage racing Omega without it, but if you're willing to commit to a slower strat you can conceivably make lesser knives work. Thundaga sword chicken knife starts capping around the mid 30s, which is the lowest level I'd even consider tackling Omega at with that team anyway. At that level, Sasuke does about 4k, Assassin's dagger about 3.5, and thief/air knives are somewhere between 2 and 2.5. These damage numbers are essentially identical for both mystic knight and ninja, incidentally. More levels beyond the mid 30s will gradually decrease the relative value of the chicken knife. You've also got lightning scrolls to help compensate for the lack of good knives, and !spellblade will pump up their damage, albeit not as much as a dedicated magic job would.

I was planning to go after Omega in the late twenties to avoid having to use elixirs to deal with the wave beam attack. Am I being unreasonable? Bear in mind this strategy assumes that off-handed zero damage hits won't provoke counters, and I won't know that for sure until I actually try it.

Another question- does Carbunkle wear off? I just realized I have access to it via magic lamp, which would allow me to ditch wall rings for emission protection or running shoes, but when I'm doing a marathon that requires maybe twenty hits I'm not sure how feasible a reflect that wears off after only a few turns would be.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The only way to get permanent reflect is to wear the rings.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Ritznit posted:

Alright, time for me to bust out a :siren: DONATION PLEDGE :siren:

I will donate 5$, up to 50$ (unless I find more money in the seat cushions when I move next week) for every goon who triple-crowns without Time Mage, Chemist, Bard or Beastmaster. As far as I understand, those are the most effective options for crazy boss shenanigans. I know there are others, and I don't want this to be completely impossible, just no playing with the super broken stuff. I'm happy to donate for anyone who is willing to go through a bit of extra hassle.

Please provide screenshots of your full party with their equipped jobs and kill screens for the bosses! Extra thumbs up from me if you give a quick rundown of how you beat the bosses.

Godspeed. For a good cause! :black101:

If this one is still up, Pure Chaos gave me Blue Mage/Ranger/Mystic Knight/Freelancer, which Rapid Fires almost everything and showers status effects and okay damage everything else. NED gave me the most trouble, since Almagest could aaaalmost TKO me, but Wonder Wand + Dark Bow solved my Shinryu problem and Omega's counters went perfectly for me in my third try and it kept trying to confuse my Ribbon and Rainbow Dressed Bartz, which let me down it despite only hitting for ~4200 with with Blizzaga'd Rapid Fire Brave Blade.

I'd love a Pure Chaos Advance, but another Pure Chaos will have to do

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

I was planning to go after Omega in the late twenties to avoid having to use elixirs to deal with the wave beam attack. Am I being unreasonable? Bear in mind this strategy assumes that off-handed zero damage hits won't provoke counters, and I won't know that for sure until I actually try it.

Another question- does Carbunkle wear off? I just realized I have access to it via magic lamp, which would allow me to ditch wall rings for emission protection or running shoes, but when I'm doing a marathon that requires maybe twenty hits I'm not sure how feasible a reflect that wears off after only a few turns would be.

You need Running Shoes to keep up with elixir chucking. I've usually done it through his counters, but even without provoking him you're going to want to put him down relatively fast. Grinding the level checker thingies in the Ruins part for elixirs and levels seems more reasonable to me, but I'm curious to know how it goes!

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Hmmm so I want to do some prototype grinding in world one in my new run for dark matters. I have ranger, bard, chemist, time mage. Any way that'll happen? I just keep doing 0 damage.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

RapidFire ignores defense, so you could do that.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Does Gilgabot accept runs with the Fiesta Mod (and thus Gigantaur Neo Exdeath) or no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

LiefKatano posted:

Does Gilgabot accept runs with the Fiesta Mod (and thus Gigantaur Neo Exdeath) or no

Many Cactuar Neds have been submitted and they have been accepted. It's a manual process.