Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

:gonk::hf::cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
macbook goop

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

That brown powercord

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

That's nothing, I once had someone bring in a laptop with a goddamn ant colony (still) living in it. Also out of warranty.

Yeah, watched scaled down window of that, that's a typical rMBP that's never been opened or serviced, it's got condensation stains, dust bunnies up the wazoo, dunno about the burnt paper and poo poo.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 3, 2019

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

quote:

condensation stains, dust bunnies up the wazoo, dunno about the burnt paper and poo poo.

Maybe they though hotboxing their Mac would be a good idea? :420::2bong::420:

eames
May 9, 2009

In their defense, Apple just recently announced that the 2015 MBP battery smokes

e: goodbye butterfly keyboard, welcome back old scissor keys?

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/4/20682079/apple-butterfly-switch-scissor-switch-2019-macbook-air-2020-macbook-pro

verge posted:

According to Kuo’s report, the first laptop to get the new keyboard will be a new MacBook Air model due out this year, followed by a new MacBook Pro in 2020. “We predict that the butterfly keyboard may finally disappear in the long term,” Kuo says.

Unfortunately, the report suggests that the new keyboard won’t make it into this year’s rumored 16-inch MacBook Pro, which is expected to be announced this September. Nor would it make it into the updated version of the 13-inch MacBook Pro that’s also been rumored.

eames fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jul 4, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ok it’s not announced on the same DAY as Ive being booted, but :thunk:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Maybe I'll replace my macbook pro 2011 in 2020 then because the butterfly keyboards feel like i'm squeezing a wet dog turd in my fist.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Welp, how's this for timing then.. Ladies and gentlemen, our long national nightmare is over.. later this year and next.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/07/04/kuo-new-keyboard-macbook-air-pro/

It only took three years of constant bitching and keyboard hell to achieve this.

IMHO, can't help but think that Jony Ive's exit and this news are related.

GTFO guy who insisted on the new keyboards and ruined sales and our reputation, we're going back to what loving worked.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Hahaha, that's a pretty gigantic middle finger to the Ive-era of form over function ending.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I bet it's at most 3mm taller than the butterfly keyboard.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Perplx posted:

I bet it's at most 3mm taller than the butterfly keyboard.

Who gives a poo poo if it actually works.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Thats what I meant, they screwed up 4 generations of laptops over some imperceptible thickness.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

This is great news. Now I get to see if I can nurse this mid-2012 MBP along until then.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Hahaha, that's a pretty gigantic middle finger to the Ive-era of form over function ending.

Haha clearly someone doesn’t understand how long this poo poo takes and likelyhood it’s ives fault isn’t very high. And we won’t really know till a book 10 years from now

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

LionArcher posted:

Haha clearly someone doesn’t understand how long this poo poo takes and likelyhood it’s ives fault isn’t very high. And we won’t really know till a book 10 years from now

Yup. I would expect the first non-ives influenced laptop to arrive in 2-3 years

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

hasn't Ives been out to lunch since 2015 and the release of the apple watch? That's what all the news reports are saying. Also the new Mac Pro is rumored to be an older design as well. I'd say it's more than possible that we are already in post-Ives Apple

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

hasn't Ives been out to lunch since 2015 and the release of the apple watch? That's what all the news reports are saying. Also the new Mac Pro is rumored to be an older design as well. I'd say it's more than possible that we are already in post-Ives Apple

If he stopped contributing in 2015 then he would have had a role in the 2016 MBP's. Which means Apple's probably been trying to engineer their way out of that design for 3 years now.

I still like the keyboard. The reliability is a problem, but I hope it doesn't go back to being mushy like my mid-2012 model.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Bob Morales posted:

There's not really a good way to connect both power and video to a cinema display.

You have to do two things: magsafe to USB-C, which you can do with something like this:

https://elecjet.com/collections/elecjet-products/products/anywatt-magsafe
The power part worked.

Bob Morales posted:

Then you have to convert USB-C/ThunderBolt3 to MiniDisplayPort, which you can do with something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/AllSmartLife-DisplayPort-Aluminium-resolution-ChromeBook/dp/B017TZTMBG
This didn't.

Mercurius posted:

...Cinema Displays from 2014 are probably Thunderbolt Displays so your friend will need to confirm that because if they are then normal Mini DisplayPort adapters wont work. If it is a TB Display then your friend can just get Apple’s TB3->TB2 adapter and it’ll work as a dock (but without the power since that’s a separate MagSafe connector).
It's not. So what dock (or dongle/adapter) will work with the Cinema Display and all the ports it provides (USB ports, Ethernet). What does Apple recommend? Something from OWC?
Thanks.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Now maybe Apple can make the keyboard easily replaceable too.

Haha not.

E: it’s ironic that Apple proactively made the butterfly keyboard because they thought they would get dunked on by thinner and thinner PC laptops when in the end they ended up self owning harder than if they had just stuck with the scissor design and maybe evolved that incrementally. I don’t mind Apple taking risks but this one really takes the cake.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 6, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Now maybe Apple can make the keyboard easily replaceable too.

Only way they could do that is go back to the Powerbook G4 construction where you could turn two screws and lift the keyboard out of its well.. highly doubtful because it leaves the machine vulnerable to liquid spills; in current incarnations, the keyboard is practically sealed in to prevent liquid from penetrating through it.

IMHO Ive is 99 and 44/100ths percent responsible for the keyboard debacle, he probably insisted Apple stick with this design just like his wishes for the Apple Watch, and nobody thought it was worth it to counter him because post 2015-rMBPs continued to sell well.

It was only when Apple realized it was becoming more of a keyboard replacement company than a computer sales company (and also noticed it was spending waaaaaay too much money to constantly be ordering new top cases, which also include battery and trackpad) that they told Ive to go gently caress himself, Ive screams gently caress you back, Apple designs a new keyboard behind his back due to go into the 2019 Air, Ive says fine go ahead, takes his toys and leaves, all perfect timing.

IMHO him leaving and becoming an 'independent contractor' is Apple's way of 'soft-firing' him because in this way, Apple gets what they want as he can no longer demand as an Apple officer that Apple stick with his designs if they dont like them, and he can continue to get paid the big buckazoids as a contractor. And Apple is free to take his designs and stuff them in a Trash Can Mac Pro and send it back to him with a 'I made it myself' topping due to his contractor status.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 6, 2019

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Not sure if the butterfly was his creation. Maybe a by product of him wanting something thinner and then he takes credit for it. Maybe he blames the underlings for the failure prone design.

It’s not the forms fault if the designers can’t get the function right 3 times in a row :smuggo:

Poor Steve. Imaging telling him Jony would get fired over a keyboard. And you can’t do anything about it because you’re dead.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 6, 2019

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Is there a USB-hub type thing people would recommend for a Macbook Pro? Is this kind of thing any good? https://www.newegg.com/p/0J2-00S1-000Z1

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Koramei posted:

Is there a USB-hub type thing people would recommend for a Macbook Pro? Is this kind of thing any good? https://www.newegg.com/p/0J2-00S1-000Z1

Cheap ones are lovely

Also I don’t like ones that attach to the side like that one, too much pressure bending the ports IMO

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Koramei posted:

I wouldn’t buy one of those because of the stress it puts on the connectors but people do recommend them!

There are tons of thunderbolt and usb-c hubs with a bunch of different options. Just go with reviews and price and the right configuration!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Koramei posted:

The CalDigit TS3 Plus is expensive but is the closest thing to a recommended Thunderbolt 3 hub by this thread; dependable, stable, has most of the ports you need.

Shaocaholica posted:

Not sure if the butterfly was his creation. Maybe a by product of him wanting something thinner and then he takes credit for it. Maybe he blames the underlings for the failure prone design.

It’s not the forms fault if the designers can’t get the function right 3 times in a row :smuggo:

Poor Steve. Imaging telling him Jony would get fired over a keyboard. And you can’t do anything about it because you’re dead.

Pretty much this; he's probably not a materials person, if you told him "Jony, we can't get the metal to curve the way you wanted" he'd scream "Well bloody go find a fecking metal that CAN do my curve, is that so hard you git"

Even if the butterfly wasn't his direct creation, he likely ordered it be done in order to preserve his ego design and likely dragged in some intern to finish the keyboard with no concept or experience in materials science who literally pulled the bill of materials for the cursed keyboards out of his rear end, optimizing it for cheapest bullshit price.

People who knew what they were doing stepped in later and tried to put a band-aid on the damage by putting in the silicon condoms, altering the metal used for the 'bump,' closing off air ports with mesh, but it was too little too late.

The 2016-2018 rMBP is the example and along with the mountain of gold 10K Apple Watches sitting in a bunker somewhere, probably the main reasons he's out, IMHO. He probably told the rest of Apple "Don't you worry about the bloody keyboard, it'll work itself out" over and over until the money they were spending on top cases (which include a whole new battery, trackpad and keyboard) was eating into rMBP profits. Also, becoming the laughing stock of the industry because of those keyboards..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 7, 2019

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

They should sell the watches to Cash4Gold or melt them down and make gold AirPods out of them

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Binary Badger posted:

Pretty much this; he's probably not a materials person, if you told him "Jony, we can't get the metal to curve the way you wanted" he'd scream "Well bloody go find a fecking metal that CAN do my curve, is that so hard you git"

Even if the butterfly wasn't his direct creation, he likely ordered it be done in order to preserve his ego design and likely dragged in some intern to finish the keyboard with no concept or experience in materials science who literally pulled the bill of materials for the cursed keyboards out of his rear end, optimizing it for cheapest bullshit price.

People who knew what they were doing stepped in later and tried to put a band-aid on the damage by putting in the silicon condoms, altering the metal used for the 'bump,' closing off air ports with mesh, but it was too little too late.

The 2016-2018 rMBP is the example and along with the mountain of gold 10K Apple Watches sitting in a bunker somewhere, probably the main reasons he's out, IMHO. He probably told the rest of Apple "Don't you worry about the bloody keyboard, it'll work itself out" over and over until the money they were spending on top cases (which include a whole new battery, trackpad and keyboard) was eating into rMBP profits. Also, becoming the laughing stock of the industry because of those keyboards..
This is a really weird and creepy post.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Binary Badger posted:

Only way they could do that is go back to the Powerbook G4 construction where you could turn two screws and lift the keyboard out of its well.. highly doubtful because it leaves the machine vulnerable to liquid spills; in current incarnations, the keyboard is practically sealed in to prevent liquid from penetrating through it.

IMHO Ive is 99 and 44/100ths percent responsible for the keyboard debacle, he probably insisted Apple stick with this design just like his wishes for the Apple Watch, and nobody thought it was worth it to counter him because post 2015-rMBPs continued to sell well.

It was only when Apple realized it was becoming more of a keyboard replacement company than a computer sales company (and also noticed it was spending waaaaaay too much money to constantly be ordering new top cases, which also include battery and trackpad) that they told Ive to go gently caress himself, Ive screams gently caress you back, Apple designs a new keyboard behind his back due to go into the 2019 Air, Ive says fine go ahead, takes his toys and leaves, all perfect timing.

IMHO him leaving and becoming an 'independent contractor' is Apple's way of 'soft-firing' him because in this way, Apple gets what they want as he can no longer demand as an Apple officer that Apple stick with his designs if they dont like them, and he can continue to get paid the big buckazoids as a contractor. And Apple is free to take his designs and stuff them in a Trash Can Mac Pro and send it back to him with a 'I made it myself' topping due to his contractor status.

This keyboard being helpful for water damage prevention is true.... to an extent. The keyboard does not go all the way across the machine, and most water damage ends up happening where the keyboard ends. Typical damage spots are all top, bottom, left, and right of where the keyboard/backlight assembly is. This ends up being near the display connector on all Airs save the recent, all pros since 2006, and the MB12. This often kills the backlight circuit on the board, or in the screen, or both. It's particularly bad on the 13" 2 Thunderbolts since it destroys both the CPU and the backlight in the screen if the water is near the center top of the keyboard.

Other common locations are the USB Type C negotiator chips on the left and right in the 15 4 Thunderbolts, and the left on the 13 2 Thunderbolts. Not to mention the loving touch ID which is paired to the logic board.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 7, 2019

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

American McGay posted:

Mac users are like battered wives. You can't really hold it against him.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 7, 2019

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Mac users are like battered wives. You can't really hold it against him.

This is also a creepy post

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
"Hi Sally, sorry I can't go. Jony's been at it with his caliper all day. Oh my eye? No it doesn't hurt. I must have run into my butterfly keyboard again last night."

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I also find domestic violence hilarious. Yessir.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What can we make fun of these days

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Now that Apple and Qualcomm have made up, I wonder how long it will take before we see 5G equipped MacBooks.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Gay Retard posted:

Now that Apple and Qualcomm have made up, I wonder how long it will take before we see 5G equipped MacBooks.

Apple hasn't bothered to ship cellular in Macs for the last decade. Maybe that'll change with the ARM transition?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Godzilla07 posted:

Apple hasn't bothered to ship cellular in Macs for the last decade. Maybe that'll change with the ARM transition?

You mean an iPad Pro?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

American McGay posted:

Ah, one of Ive's kids got an account

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 8, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Gay Retard posted:

As long as there's tethering / personal hotspot, Apple would rather you buy an iPhone before putting in more chips in its laptops that draw power.

down1nit posted:

Not to mention the loving touch ID which is paired to the logic board.

Yeah, that's a royal pain, break a small button assembly, you have to get a new Touch ID assembly -and- logic board.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

As long as there's tethering / personal hotspot, Apple would rather you buy an iPhone before putting in more chips in its laptops that draw power.

Yeah, I can see this as an argument to *not* add a 5G chipset to future MacBooks.

I've only had to use it occasionally, but tethering my Mac with the iPhone is so drat easy and seamless these days.