Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

SirSamVimes posted:

Didn't Bahamut's rampage cause a worldwide aetheric disturbance with side effects like literally changing the climate of all of Coerthas?

Its effects seem largely confined to Eorzea, honestly. Doma, for example, had only one Primal show up from a local Beast Tribe and that was through previously unseen means. Even Tsukuyomi required outside influence to form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

This, but also Ran'jit, who was also kind of boring to me. Zenos was funny just being a teleporting edgelord back when Stormblood had nobody to distract from, but there was genuinely tension of whether Varis was going to cause some serious damage with Black Rose that's gone now because "Heh, nothin' personnel, father." Also, making Elidibus look like a Lahabrea level chump.

Yeah, Zenos was a fun villain in Stormblood and all, but I was ready to be done with him by the end of the game. I'm not really looking forward to having yet another fight with him.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

Pretty sure you’ve boned yourself and you tied the e-mail to that account. You’re going to have to use a burner for the non steam version.

Edit: Maybe not. You can try changing account information by going to the mog station and updating the e-mail address to a burner one there. That might free it up.

I think it worked. Here's what I did.

Changed steam demo account to burner email, then deactivated the account.

Attempted to unlink deactivated account from store account, but the site bugged out and wouldn't respond.

Purchased starter edition on existing store account. Made me nervous because of the step above.

Made a new service account with the email I had tied to the demo account. This worked just fine.

Downloaded game, logged in, it's patching for a while.

Logged into store using my new service account. THEN I was able to link this new account to the store account I used to buy the starter edition.

THEN I was able to unlink the deactivated steam demo account.

So hopefully I will be able to subscribe once my free month is up (hopefully I get the free month, I still have to figure out how to check Got the 30 days in the mog station) using the store account now that it's tied to my new service account.

What a headache this all was.

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 7, 2019

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I've been.... really liking Gunbreaker the more I play of it. I would probably like Paladin, too, but I'm still a Gladiator and I hate the early class quests.

I do kind of wish Paladin had more FFT Holy Knight in it. Is there an "Emperor's New Shield"? I've been brainstorming an Orlandeau glamour that I'd like to try out eventually.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have a question about new AST; how should you play your cards if you're in a group with only melee or only ranged?

I know there's technically always one melee and ranged in the party (tank and healer) but I'm guessing it might just be more worth it to give one of the dps a 3% buff instead?

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Couple pictures.

Final Zone Spoiler

Just me and my big friend.

ShB End of MSQ Spoilers

This doesn't really need any caption.

I really like some of the dungeon gear for glam.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Firstborn posted:

I do kind of wish Paladin had more FFT Holy Knight in it. Is there an "Emperor's New Shield"? I've been brainstorming an Orlandeau glamour that I'd like to try out eventually.

Yes, it's the makai pvp shield. Note that it won't be obtainable after 5.1 so I recommend buying it now if you think you'll ever play paladin

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Yes, it's the makai pvp shield. Note that it won't be obtainable after 5.1 so I recommend buying it now if you think you'll ever play paladin

You can also get it from the Gold Saucer for MGP, which is probably easier than doing PvP.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hunter Noventa posted:

You can also get it from the Gold Saucer for MGP, which is probably easier than doing PvP.

You get Wolf Marks and tomestones just for showing up to Frontline, no reason not to do it besides the long queue times.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
You need 1200 wolf marks, which is a single frontline roulette queue.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Finished the main story yesterday, took the same image everyone else does.

Also could not believe what they chose to bring back from another game for a dungeon boss. Of all the creatures in earlier main series games, this was one of the ones I least expected to ever see the light of day again outside of its original game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

Where is this restricted shop that sells level 80 gatherer gear?

The Crystarium actually sells this stuff. The price on the item info says (restricted) which threw me off and made me not even bother checking. I guess its restricted in that its locked off until you hit that level or maybe do the facet turn ins?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Yapping Eevee posted:

Also could not believe what they chose to bring back from another game for a dungeon boss. Of all the creatures in earlier main series games, this was one of the ones I least expected to ever see the light of day again outside of its original game.

On one hand, yes it was definitely a cool unexpected surprise.

On the other, this is the expansion with gunblades and Eden so maybe we should have seen this coming.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Your Computer posted:

I have a question about new AST; how should you play your cards if you're in a group with only melee or only ranged?

I know there's technically always one melee and ranged in the party (tank and healer) but I'm guessing it might just be more worth it to give one of the dps a 3% buff instead?

Unless the DPS are doing double the tank's damage (and they're not) you want to give the physical card to the tank in that case.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Unless the DPS are doing double the tank's damage (and they're not) you want to give the physical card to the tank in that case.
is it that simple? Well then!

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Arist posted:

This is especially true in aoe - I’m on par or better than most dps with my GNB like 90% of the time spamming my aoe.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Does anyone here play on Crystal? I read a post saying it's RP land and takes a long time to queue groups, but it's the only one with character creation enabled today.

Edit: Some crystal servers have the preferred bonus and I can't make a character anywhere else so this question is pretty moot.

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 7, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Firstborn posted:

I do kind of wish Paladin had more FFT Holy Knight in it.

If it helps, paladins literally get Split Punch/Northswain's Strike as their level 80 ability. It's called Confiteor but the animation is almost identical.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Fun Times! posted:

Does anyone here play on Crystal? I read a post saying it's RP land and takes a long time to queue groups, but it's the only one with character creation enabled today.

Edit: Some crystal servers have the preferred bonus and I can't make a character anywhere else so this question is pretty moot.

I'm also a brand new player playing on crystal on a recommended server(with the xp boost) cause the other 2 data servers are packed. From what I've read it's just a result of the new xpac launching + the game having the most players ever yet so far I think? It kinda sucks that you can't transfer until 90 days but I think the trade off is worth it since the xp boost is so huge. If you join the discord in the OP theres a group for people playing on crystal.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Slider posted:

I'm also a brand new player playing on crystal on a recommended server(with the xp boost) cause the other 2 data servers are packed. From what I've read it's just a result of the new xpac launching + the game having the most players ever yet so far I think? It kinda sucks that you can't transfer until 90 days but I think the trade off is worth it since the xp boost is so huge. If you join the discord in the OP theres a group for people playing on crystal.

Turns out I'm hosed because the preferred worlds with the exp boost on Crystal aren't open for new characters at the moment. But 4 standard worlds are, seems dumb.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Fun Times! posted:

i'm on crystal, zalera specifically. i've never seen anyone with the RP tag on or RPing in general there.

some MSQ thoughts and appreciations:

Pros:
-Story overall was great. Probably my second favorite FF story after 7 now.
-Emet-Selch in particular is a fantastic antagonist. Understandable motivations, charismatic in his own weird way, sympathetic even. But despite being understandable, said motivations are still evil so there isn't some weird concept of wanting to agree with the horrible thing he proposes. A part of me almost wanted him to come to his senses and become an ally, but it would have been horrible story-wise. It was just a reaction of liking the character. He made the ascians interesting villains.
-Ardbert having a role. One of the main reasons I enjoyed the previous Warriors of Darkness storyline was simply for him alone. His voice actor nailed it, and he still brings it this time around. Plus it's good that they tie in that plotline since, well, it's so clearly important.
-The voice acting in general was solid. Feo Ul is a good example. I thought Lyna's VA did a great job when she had her breakdown after the attack on The Chrystarium.
-The aesthetic of the sin eaters is great. They give off vibes of some sort of Bayonetta/Silent Hill combination. The scene where the one girl turns into one would not be out of place in a horror game. Actually the aesthetic overall is extremely my sort of thing. The city of the ascians gave me some temple of the ancients from FF7 vibes.
-The music, I don't think a lot has to be said there.
-The trust system works way better than I expected. Helped to learn dungeons without the anxiety of messing up with other humans. The AI knew how to do all the mechanics! So I just followed them, lol.
-Dungeon and trials felt really good. None of them seemed like a chore that I can remember. The mine dungeon is boring until near the end, I guess? It does have the golem with the buckets though.

Cons:
-I really hate characters like Ran'jit that just show up and for some reason can so easily kick the rear end of your entire party. Then nothing really happens with him. I understand why he was there in regards to Thancred and Ryne's story, but I just wasn't interested.
-The mining area questline is so immensely boring. It felt like they wrote it up in 5 minutes to pad things out a bit more.
-The caster DPS role quest was a massive letdown. A large portion of it just felt like the red mage quest.
-Therion is a bad boss and I hate it.
-I... can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Adus posted:

-The mining area questline is so immensely boring. It felt like they wrote it up in 5 minutes to pad things out a bit more.
-The caster DPS role quest was a massive letdown. A large portion of it just felt like the red mage quest.

Yes to both, though the latter had some shades of 30 - 50 BLM.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Holy poo poo, hackers do not gently caress around in this game. Bot named Vhfopdsfihjf Wdhjdifh or whatever was just teleporting all around the area instagibbing the mobs I was hunting for a quest. That would have been a lot more frustrating if I didn't have an instant cast DoT to tag them with as they respawned.

e: also the process for reporting cheaters is laughably primitive. I have to manually type all the information into the support ticket, as opposed to being able to say place: here, time: now, character: the one I'm targeting who's blipping around the area like Agent Smith.

Can't you just report it as rmt activity? That just takes a few clicks.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My con for ShB story is killing Y'shtola again. Then bringing her to life again. C'mon.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Leal posted:

My con for ShB story is killing Y'shtola again. Then bringing her to life again. C'mon.

She's a cat, she has at least 7 more deaths in her before it'll stick.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Leal posted:

It felt contrived but it did offer a way for Emet to prove his trustworthiness in a way that only he could have, and catman's reaction was cute.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Leal posted:

It was worth it to see Runar scoop her up super excitedly. And Y'shtola didn't even seem bothered at all by it. He's got way more a chance than little sun. :kimchi:

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
Just finished the MSQ. This is an excellent expansion so far. All of the non-filler portions of the MSQ were compelling, and the ending sequence floored me.

Story thoughts:

Emet Selch was a great way to end the expansion on a bleak, bittersweet note after confronting Vauthry's peak ham. Fantasy Rapture is beautiful and haunting. I love the Ancient voice sfx.

Ardbert's commentary was excellent, starting out sad and reminiscing and ending up pushing you across the finish line. Fantastic VA work.

The Exarch is an incredible bro and I'm glad they didn't pull any heel turns with him. I got emotional at his reaction every time you could call his name; I hope in the coming patches we can help him regain some measure of his former self.

One role quest story beat that I don't understand: I thought Ardbert's companions returned to the First as shades and sacrificed themselves alongside Minfilia. How do they become sin eaters in the role quests? I guess they could have left behind bodies that got possessed, but the sin eaters show behaviors from the companions so that doesn't seem right.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Aw, boo. Reuse is a lot worse than it sounded, it only generates the first item in the recipe list, so you can't use it to, say, randomly yoink aethersands out of potion crafts for example.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Regarding the Warriors of Darkness who sacrificed themselves to Minfillia, I get the feeling some fragments of their souls survived enoogh to get turned into sin eaters by exposure to the light which is why they seemingly act on base instincts unique to them.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
So I tried SMN for the first time at 80, spent a couple hours going through the 35-80 class quests and uh. I genuinely don't know how to play this, it feels like I should just be mashing all my buttons like a piano? I know diving in at max level for the first time wasn't the best move, but I have like, no context for any of these abilities. Why does Dreadwyrm Trance give 2 units of Dreadwyrm Aether? I know it's to summon mini-Bahamut, but why 2 units when the minidragon seems to last the same amount of time regardless?

I think I'm just gonna go back to SCH and leveling WHM, because I genuinely cannot function as DPS classes in this game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Leal posted:

Everyone in this story is a cop on their last day before retirement wearing a bulletproof vest they've never told anyone else about. I'm pretty sure even Ran'jit hasn't completely bit it; one of the random Eulmore soldiers mention that Ran'jit has merely disappeared, something that'd be awfully hard for a corpse in the middle of the Canopy to do.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i wondered why gaius and ardbert sounded familiar. its roose bolton and gendry from GoT.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Ranjit should've been finished off by knocking him off a cliff with an aether explosion out of nowhere. Nobody could've survived that

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Your Computer posted:

If the dps is doing more than double what the tank or healer is putting out, it's better to give them the card. I haven't payed attention to any dungeon runs I've done, but that's likely the case if they're any good.

e: Or maybe not. I looked at some random dungeon poo poo I've ran the past week. Tanks are around 2/3 what the dps is, so the benefit is to give tanks the card. On AOE as an AST I'd pull 1/3 to about half, so it's probably not worth it to give yourself if you're the only ranged.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 7, 2019

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Mister No posted:

So I tried SMN for the first time at 80, spent a couple hours going through the 35-80 class quests and uh. I genuinely don't know how to play this, it feels like I should just be mashing all my buttons like a piano? I know diving in at max level for the first time wasn't the best move, but I have like, no context for any of these abilities. Why does Dreadwyrm Trance give 2 units of Dreadwyrm Aether? I know it's to summon mini-Bahamut, but why 2 units when the minidragon seems to last the same amount of time regardless?

I think I'm just gonna go back to SCH and leveling WHM, because I genuinely cannot function as DPS classes in this game.

The rework turned SMN into arguably the hardest max level job to play, so don't sweat it. It's turbo unforgiving now and I'm not sure people have even mathed out appropriate openers yet, but the basic idea is to slam tri-disaster and DWT and then use all your ogcds up while you have that instant cast window, and then save ruin IV procs to weave oGCDs again later.

It gives 2 units because it gives 1 unit pre 72 or 74 or whenever a trait buffs it, because in Stormblood you would summon demi-bahamut after every other dreadwyrm trance. Arguably it would've been cleaner to just reduce the gauge needed to 1 but, whatever, same effect in the end.

I'm hoping in 5.1 or something they just tie demi-bahamut to DWT the way phoenix is tied to FBT, so the spec just rotates between two states rather than like one and a half and a half. After that, just clean up the potencies a bit so their AOE isn't terrible and their oGCDs aren't so weak to weave outside ruin IV, and I'm okay with the new design.

Minera fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 7, 2019

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Pigbottom posted:

Can't you just report it as rmt activity? That just takes a few clicks.

I couldn't find an option right clicking on them, the only thing I found was going through the help ticket menu where there's an option for cheating.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Leal posted:

There are three fakeout deaths in ShB. :argh:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vermain posted:

Everyone in this story is a cop on their last day before retirement wearing a bulletproof vest they've never told anyone else about. I'm pretty sure even Ran'jit hasn't completely bit it; one of the random Eulmore soldiers mention that Ran'jit has merely disappeared, something that'd be awfully hard for a corpse in the middle of the Canopy to do.

It's been creeping around the discord that a dungeon was cut for time that would have been an assault on Eulmore, with Ran'jit as the last boss. Supposedly the two other bosses would have been the jester twins and some kind of aquatic sin eater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

There are three fakeout deaths in ShB. :argh:

I still can't tell if Thancred's is intended to seem that way or not. The non-chalant Minfilia cutscene right after had me baffled if he just died or what.