Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Residency Evil posted:

Two questions on this:

1. Will they cancel my card?
2. I understand that this is lovely from a global consumer standpoint, but how likely is it to affect me?

Chase has affirmed publicly that they will not close accounts of people that reject the arbitration. And I doubt I will ever be in a position where I have to take action against Chase, but I want to keep my options open. Class action lawsuits are typically the only way small fry like me can stand a chance against these companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends

opposable thumbs.db posted:

AA is but DL and WN still work.

Which loophole are you referring to? According to FlyerTalk, very recently the $50 GC loophole on Delta hasn't been working lately, the rumor is it is dead.

Something else that seems to be working is using a $50 gift card on a flight and using your plat-card for the rest, anything over the $50 gc amount has been getting reimbursed (up to $200) in some instances. I attempted to do this today with a mile+cash purchase, but the website won't let you do it and the phone attendant wouldn't either. :( Gift cards cannot be used in those sales.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

opposable thumbs.db posted:

AA is but DL and WN still work.
Doesn't seem like it anymore...
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/american-express-incidental-reimbursement-issues-southwest-delta/

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
For the Amex Airline Fee Reimbursement, I use Alaska. You can book <$100 (and cancel any flights within 24hrs), and trigger the credit.

Also, for Saks credit on Plat - you can buy a gift card at any Saks in store for $50 and trigger the credit.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Supposedly the changes for DL/WN kicked in around JUN 21/22, so I wonder if AS was affected too. Don't see any data points after that, so far...

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
So from what I've seen on these recent posts, a user of an existing Chase product can product change and get a new sign up bonus as long as it's greater than 4 years? Is that correct?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Dalrain posted:

So from what I've seen on these recent posts, a user of an existing Chase product can product change and get a new sign up bonus as long as it's greater than 4 years? Is that correct?

Yes per the rep on the phone. Outside shot at being able to downgrade a card, then apply online and be Auto approved for another card bypassing the whole thing but I have to imagine the system is developed enough to catch that

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Does one of the highend CC with a travel reimbursement that offsets a super high annual fee apply for commuter transit? I spent about 3600/year on a commuter rail monthly pass. Right now I have the US Bank with 5% on that, but maybe I can maximize better. I typically buy at least four plane tickets and spend an additional $1000 on Amtrak for work a year.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Chase counts commuter passes as travel.

Chase Sapphire Reserve gives you a credit for 100% of the first $300 you spend, then 3x points on travel after that. Then you can redeem the points for travel for 50% more.

So let's say $6,000 spent on travel.

$300 credit, 17,100 rewards points worth 256.50 when redeemed for travel. $556.50 in all.

5% from US Bank would be $300, but it's cash and no annual fee.

e: also there's the Chase signup bonus of 50,000 points after you spend $4,000 in the first few months

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 3, 2019

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Simpsons Reference posted:

Chase Sapphire Reserve gives you a credit for 100% of the first $300 you spend, then 3x points on travel after that. Then you can redeem the points for travel for 50% more.

$300 credit, 17,100 rewards points worth 256.50 when redeemed for travel. $556.50 in all.

e: also there's the Chase signup bonus of 50,000 points after you spend $4,000 in the first few months

Sounds good, I believe I'm over the 5/24 rule and in 2018/2019 I applied for a ton of CCs (churned like 10 sign up bonuses) and bought a car so my score is a little low.
I also signed up for a CSP on 3/2018, so I need to wait until 4/2020 alteast. Thanks for the advice.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 3, 2019

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Is there anywhere I can see when I got my bonus for my freedom unlimited card? I'm very into getting the CSR soon but I want to make sure

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Hoshi posted:

Is there anywhere I can see when I got my bonus for my freedom unlimited card? I'm very into getting the CSR soon but I want to make sure

Yeah, the statement from back when will tell you when you got the bonuses. I churn so much I keep an Google Docs sheet, otherwise it's unmanageable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I churn so much I keep an Google Docs sheet, otherwise it's unmanageable.

Yeah I'm a dork, so even though I don't have more than one card I use, I still log every in/out on an Excel sheet so I can keep track of everything. I can see how much cashback I made on each item (1%/5% on Chase), and see exactly what I've paid off per item, %ages of everything paid etc. I'm in Excel all day anyway, so I might's well have something that helps me along.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yeah, the statement from back when will tell you when you got the bonuses. I churn so much I keep an Google Docs sheet, otherwise it's unmanageable.

:same:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Note that this 100% depends on how the purchase codes and some don't code correctly.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Hoshi posted:

You can send a message if you don't want to go through past statements.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

asur posted:

You can send a message if you don't want to go through past statements.

:hmmyes: that's much better

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

I don't think the way you count it as value is accurate. You don't get $300, it's more like you prepay $300 and they apply it to those purchases. Unless you can get the AF waived for the first year it's not a bonus it just makes the fee suck less.

I had credits for Uber, lyft, rail fares, but even just one flight you already planned to take offsets it. Assuming the 5% category is narrow and only works on rail passes or similar, If I was in his shoes I'd keep the USBank card on those rail purchases since it's earning more.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

StormDrain posted:

I don't think the way you count it as value is accurate. You don't get $300, it's more like you prepay $300 and they apply it to those purchases. Unless you can get the AF waived for the first year it's not a bonus it just makes the fee suck less.

I had credits for Uber, lyft, rail fares, but even just one flight you already planned to take offsets it. Assuming the 5% category is narrow and only works on rail passes or similar, If I was in his shoes I'd keep the USBank card on those rail purchases since it's earning more.

Yeah, the $300 credit thing is just Chase's way of prodding folks to use the card for travel, a lot.

One of the reasons they do that is because on the other side they market the hell out of the CSR to travel properties (hotels in particular) and extract higher fees out of them. CSR users are also the product - people with good credit, disposable income, and a proven desire to travel are obviously a desirable demographic.

Not that it isn't a good card, but if you don't spend a lot on travel in general and don't pay your balance off every month it is actually a pretty terrible card. It's great if you travel for business and they let you use your own card - that is a serious perk if you also like to travel for fun, you can get mega-good rewards that way.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Ixian posted:

Yeah, the $300 credit thing is just Chase's way of prodding folks to use the card for travel, a lot.

One of the reasons they do that is because on the other side they market the hell out of the CSR to travel properties (hotels in particular) and extract higher fees out of them. CSR users are also the product - people with good credit, disposable income, and a proven desire to travel are obviously a desirable demographic.

Not that it isn't a good card, but if you don't spend a lot on travel in general and don't pay your balance off every month it is actually a pretty terrible card. It's great if you travel for business and they let you use your own card - that is a serious perk if you also like to travel for fun, you can get mega-good rewards that way.

I have to say, I don't travel very much and I barely use the CSR but the AF has paled in comparison to the coverage we have received for rental car damage. $300 for covering over a grand in damages? Yes please.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

VorpalBunny posted:

I have to say, I don't travel very much and I barely use the CSR but the AF has paled in comparison to the coverage we have received for rental car damage. $300 for covering over a grand in damages? Yes please.

The $90 AF on the CSP repaid Hertz $1400 when I crashed a rental car. I'll continue to use it to book travel.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Cacafuego posted:

The $90 AF on the CSP repaid Hertz $1400 when I crashed a rental car. I'll continue to use it to book travel.
The $0 fee on Chase Amazon does the same. Source: buddy got in an accident with a rental.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

SiGmA_X posted:

The $0 fee on Chase Amazon does the same. Source: buddy got in an accident with a rental.
Many cards offer rental protection, but only the CSP/CSR/UA cards offer primary coverage, which means that you don't have to also file with your car insurance (and risk increased premiums).

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!

Ixian posted:

if you don't pay your balance off every month it is actually a pretty terrible card.

If you’re not paying off your balance every month, every rewards card is terrible.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Small White Dragon posted:

Many cards offer rental protection, but only the CSP/CSR/UA cards offer primary coverage, which means that you don't have to also file with your car insurance (and risk increased premiums).

True, and while I've never gotten in to a rental car accident (fingers crossed) this is pretty huge, and easy to forget about.

One thing I've actually used is trip cancellation - I booked a trip last year to Austria with my CSR that ended up being cancelled due to a freak snowstorm in Newark in November (also, EWR just loving sucks) and while I ended up getting airfare and most of the hotels refunded one did not and I also had to go out of pocket for a local hotel before we flew home. The CSR covered that, and it was pretty easy too. About $700 when all was said and done. Great travel card.

Initio posted:

If you’re not paying off your balance every month, every rewards card is terrible.

I don't disagree, just didn't want to leave that out.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

I got a letter from Citi with all the DC info but no card, it's been a while since I got a card but I remember them coming together, it's a dumb question but should I be calling Citi or do they just send them separately?

E: this is covered by item 2 in the letter I received, good thing I don't pride myself on attention to detail…

Hoshi fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 6, 2019

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Small White Dragon posted:

Also every single Amex if you opt in to their enhanced coverage program. It costs about $20/rental, but if your main reason for keeping a high-AF card is rental insurance, the Amex program on a no-fee card is likely to come out ahead.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Ixian posted:

True, and while I've never gotten in to a rental car accident (fingers crossed) this is pretty huge, and easy to forget about.

One thing I've actually used is trip cancellation - I booked a trip last year to Austria with my CSR that ended up being cancelled due to a freak snowstorm in Newark in November (also, EWR just loving sucks) and while I ended up getting airfare and most of the hotels refunded one did not and I also had to go out of pocket for a local hotel before we flew home. The CSR covered that, and it was pretty easy too. About $700 when all was said and done. Great travel card.

It's actually the main reason we keep the card. Obviously, we pay off the balance each month to maximize the rewards but we average two big trips a year with all 4 of our kids and if there were any travel delays we would be hosed. Each plane ticket we buy, each rental car we use, goes on the CSR just in case.

Same with the AMEX Aspire. Sure, it's a hefty annual fee but having that Diamond Status paid off almost instantly for us. We booked a non-refundable stay for 2 rooms and our plane was delayed due to a bird strike. No one else would refund the hotel rooms (I contacted the hotel directly, Chase claims, and the airline), as bird strikes are acts of God, but the Hilton Diamond desk did! Refunded our ~$500 no problem.

There's no shame in paying a high AF if you actually use the benefits that come with the card.

As to content for the thread, I read that Citi is going to 48 months between applying for their premium cards. Much like Chase did. Along with their price protections being stripped away and other downgrades, it makes the Citi group much less appealing.

VorpalBunny fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 6, 2019

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
How often are you using those benefits. I’ve yet to have a single instance where I would need to. Knock on wood.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
How do people feel about the limitations of credit card car rental insurance coverage? I believe it varies a lot between cards, but none seem to cover any injuries and a bunch don't cover the other car.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Dustoph posted:

How often are you using those benefits. I’ve yet to have a single instance where I would need to. Knock on wood.

Like any form of insurance, at a base level they provide peace of mind. And trip cancellation coverage is something you may well need given that flight delays and cancellations aren't exactly uncommon, and you really only need it to pay off once to cover potentially years of the annual fee.

I got a little over $700 back for a cancelled trip last year on my CSR; the process was simple and the refund arrived in under 2 weeks. My net AF on the CSR is $175 ($300 in fee refunds a year, plus $20/y towards Global Entry, which is $100 every 5 years i.e. the card pays for it). So getting that trip cancellation refund paid about 4 years of AF on the card.

And the insurance covers up to $10k/person-$20k/trip.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

asur posted:

How do people feel about the limitations of credit card car rental insurance coverage? I believe it varies a lot between cards, but none seem to cover any injuries and a bunch don't cover the other car.

They're not great for major accidents/etc. and they really aren't meant for that kind of situation. For that, you need to make sure your own auto insurance covers rentals, which most do, under your regular coverage.

Where the CC coverage comes in super handy - assuming it is primary, like the CSR and some others - is fender-benders, scratches, or even having the rental car stolen. If you aren't injured and/or aren't at fault for damaging another vehicle/property then the CC insurance is great because you don't have to deal with your personal insurance at all and get dinged/rate increases.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I just used Chase’s rental insurance. It took a couple of months of them eventually asking for the same documents again and again but they paid it all. I’m sure in my case they didn’t feel like paying was the right thing to do, and I understand why.

I was rear ended and Thrifty wanted over $3,000 to fix a scuffed bumper on a RAV4 that was obviously not gonna cost more than $500 to fix. Geico, the party at fault’s insurance decided to only pay $680 to Thrifty, so they went after me. Chase paid for the rest.

If it wasn’t for Chase I would have had to take those scumbags to Small Claims Court as there was no way I was paying for their scam.

Animal fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 6, 2019

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Following comments above, I looked up the terms for the Chase Amazon coverage - it clearly says secondary coverage now. My friends accident was in 2016 IIRC, and Chase definitely covered as primary. Maybe he got lucky with a nice CSR, or maybe Chase changed coverages...

Animal posted:

I just used Chase’s rental insurance. It took a couple of months of them eventually asking for the same documents again and again but they paid it all. I’m sure in my case they didn’t feel like paying was the right thing to do, and I understand why.

I was rear ended and Thrifty wanted over $3,000 to fix a scuffed bumper on a RAV4 that was obviously not gonna cost more than $500 to fix. Geico, the party at fault’s insurance decided to only pay $680 to Thrifty, so they went after me. Chase paid for the rest.

If it wasn’t for Chase I would have had to take those scumbags to Small Claims Court as there was no way I was paying for their scam.
The rental companies loving suck.

Which card did you use?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

SiGmA_X posted:

Following comments above, I looked up the terms for the Chase Amazon coverage - it clearly says secondary coverage now. My friends accident was in 2016 IIRC, and Chase definitely covered as primary. Maybe he got lucky with a nice CSR, or maybe Chase changed coverages...
The rental companies loving suck.

Which card did you use?

CSR

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Not strictly card related but friendly reminder for USA goons that while a good card like the CSR will cover international rentals as primary for collision your regular insurance will not cover anything outside the US (such as liability - unless it's Canada) and the CSR, while primary, won't help much if you t-bone another vehicle, injure yourself or someone else, or are otherwise at fault in an accident, beyond paying for the car you were driving.

You also need liability insurance - in the most of the EU and I think Australia it's usually included in the base rental cost (many countries require it to be by law) so check, if you have it plus the collision insurance provided by the CSR you are in decent shape. Some places are more strict than others or have different rules (Mexico, if you are nuts enough to rent a car there, has some pretty strict insurance requirements for example) so, always check if you are going overseas to make sure of the law where you are renting.

I did this in Portugal last year (which is a fantastic country btw, and a great one to rent a car and go exploring in) and made sure I was covered that way.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So tell me if I have this generally right. With a CSR, if you ignore the side perks (like lounge access and car rental insurance, which I understand definitely have value), and the initial signup bonus and TSA pre-check credit (since those are basically only the first year) , in order to break even on the annual fee you’d have to charge about $5300 in travel (if you redeem your points for extra travel through Chase) or $7800 if you book travel elsewhere.

Again, I realize that’s discounting a whole lot of value, but is that close to correct?

E: those numbers are assuming any old card will give you 1% cash back, so the travel bonus is really 2% “extra”.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 7, 2019

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Well, without comparing it to any other card, I only need to spend about $2500 to get enough points to book a Hyatt room worth $150.

But then if you consider my freedom unlimited is 1.5 points per and $0 annual fee you could calculate additional you are technically spending or getting the full 5% on freedom categories.

But really discounting the bonus is silly, because it’s worth 5 or more annual fees depending on how you use it so you could consider it a 0 annual fee card for several years if you are then just considering the earn rate comparison.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 7, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Elysium posted:

But really discounting the bonus is silly, because it’s worth 5-10 annual fees so you can just prorate based on that.
That’s a good point, yeah. If you use the bonus for the equivalent of $750, that covers the rest of the fee for 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

So tell me if I have this generally right. With a CSR, if you ignore the side perks (like lounge access and car rental insurance, which I understand definitely have value), and the initial signup bonus and TSA pre-check credit (since those are basically only the first year) , in order to break even on the annual fee you’d have to charge about $5300 in travel (if you redeem your points for extra travel through Chase) or $7800 if you book travel elsewhere.

Again, I realize that’s discounting a whole lot of value, but is that close to correct?

E: those numbers are assuming any old card will give you 1% cash back, so the travel bonus is really 2% “extra”.

Yes, your numbers are right. You can also look at them against a 2% card, since the Citi Double Cash is another option in the rewards space.

If you want higher-end travel (business/first class flights, high-end hotels), you can sometimes squeeze quite a bit more than 1.5 cents/point out of transfers to loyalty programs, but it's a lot harder to come up with cash valuations there.

If you're traveling regularly for work and charging expenses to your personal card, $5,300 in travel and dining-out expenses happens very quickly. If not, then you might want to look at other cards.