Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
A good game would have said that my actions have consequences for the story to clue me in on the fact that this was weighted in the storymode. I'm not a fan of not seeing all the content in a videogame so I usually try all the options. I had the same problem with Dishonored. The game asked me to do as little as possible in order to be a good guy and that's boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Why does anyone care about Bioshock at all. Here's my unpopular opinion: it was bad at launch and it's a lot worse now. It doesn't hold up at all. Morality system or not, it was bad all around. The sequel was also bad and Bioshock Infinite was incredibly bad.

The biggest issue I had with Bioshock was that 90% of the story was presented with audiotapes which was so drat lazy and uninspired.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Why does anyone care about Bioshock at all. Here's my unpopular opinion: it was bad at launch and it's a lot worse now. It doesn't hold up at all. Morality system or not, it was bad all around. The sequel was also bad and Bioshock Infinite was incredibly bad.

The biggest issue I had with Bioshock was that 90% of the story was presented with audiotapes which was so drat lazy and uninspired.

it had some nice art design, and the plastic surgeon's operating theater at the end of MedSci was impressively terrifying

other than that, yeah, it was dated even for its time

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The games weapons and enemy health scaling were so badly balanced that the best weapon bar nothing was the starting wrench.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

olives black posted:

lol holy poo poo

please never breed

I'd make the obvious joke that you don't have to worry about this with goons, but then again Blue Story

Barudak posted:

The games weapons and enemy health scaling were so badly balanced that the best weapon bar nothing was the starting wrench.

So Destiny isn't the first game to do this? Well, there's also Marathon and the starting pistol.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd make the obvious joke that you don't have to worry about this with goons, but then again Blue Story

So Destiny isn't the first game to do this? Well, there's also Marathon and the starting pistol.

Its not totally particularly rare*, its just in Bioshock it happens because only the wrench gets boosts to its damage/effects from plasmids while all the guns dont. Since there is a plasmid that heals you based on wrench damage you can beat everything, even big daddies, by just standing still and swinging the wrench and due to enemy health scaling which only the wrench really keeps up with youll do it faster.

A friend of mine complained I ruined the game for him when I pointed that out since he couldnt bring himself to play any other way.

*Halo 1s pistol is what most people reference for this even if its bad versus flood and Dead Space 1s plasma cutter is good enough getting the achievement for only using it is a breeze.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

You kill just ONE little girl and harvest her organs...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

brugroffil posted:

You have to harvest two of them. Only emulsifying one child still gets you the super saint ending

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

brugroffil posted:

I don't know how to point out that the game has you murder literally everyone you meet with the only possible exceptions being those girls and one serial killer artist.

I mean I know they're children and murdering 9 children is more heinous than hundreds of adults able to defend themselves.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Zzulu posted:

A good game would have said that my actions have consequences for the story to clue me in on the fact that this was weighted in the storymode. I'm not a fan of not seeing all the content in a videogame so I usually try all the options. I had the same problem with Dishonored. The game asked me to do as little as possible in order to be a good guy and that's boring

Would you kindly STFU?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ikanreed posted:

I don't know how to point out that the game has you murder literally everyone you meet with the only possible exceptions being those girls and one serial killer artist.

I mean I know they're children and murdering 9 children is more heinous than hundreds of adults able to defend themselves.

You almost get it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You know Id mock people struggling with the morality displayed in Bioshock but this forums produced that guy who had a meltdown because they chose the Confirmed Bachelor perk in Fallout and it made them gay.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Barudak posted:

You know Id mock people struggling with the morality displayed in Bioshock but this forums produced that guy who had a meltdown because they chose the Confirmed Bachelor perk in Fallout and it made them gay.

:lol:

e: Oh you meant in the game? Still :lol:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Barudak posted:

Lmao

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Zzulu posted:

Zzulu posted:

I'm gonna break this down real slow, for you

Maybe the game coulda made clear that if you did kill one of the monster girls it'd affect the story so critically?

That's what the game tells you. To me, it reads as "make the evil choice and get stuff NOW or make the good choice and get stuff LATER"

Not "make the good/evil choice and be locked into good/evil storymode". Why on earth would anyone defend such a garbage morality system in a shooter

not only does this screenshot spell out exactly what you are doing when you try to murder children for profit (you are murdering children) but the first time you see a little sister it is getting chased by a splicer who is acting exactly like you apparently did while playing the game

all of rapture fell, because of people like you

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well it was also systematically undermined by a guy selling bibles and an addiction to sea slugs so uh Rapture is kind of a mess as far as metaphors go.

Final boss was 100% straight trash

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If I'm honest, I didn't even consider killing any of the little sisters, not because of ethics or morality, but because the game explicitly tells you it's better not to :(

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

the fact that the mutagenic goop is called adam and the charge for it is called eve is really dumb too

boy oh boy i really hate bioshock

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I think it's wrong to describe bioshock as having a "morality system" when it's pretty much just PRESS A FOR GOOD ENDING or PRESS B FOR BAD ENDING.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Anyway the absolute worst thing about Bioshock is that it doesn't really let you do anything useful - apart from killing people - with the cool magic spells you get. There's like three places where you melt some ice with a fire spell or something and that's it. That was a big let-down and just shows there's so much more to level design than architecture.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

do you guys remember when sony was like "poo poo those smash bros fans are insane, lets get us some of that" and tried to make a character mascot fighter, except they forgot they don't actually have really any mascots anymore, so the roster was full of some generic white shootmans, kratos, an evil version of one of the generic white guys, a cartoon dog whose last game was released eleven years ago, fat princess, and a big daddy from bioshock (which was an xbox 360/windows exclusive on release)? because that was genuinely very funny

also that game was super unfun and tedious to play, which meant that it's (seriously) very cool mashup levels were totally wasted

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

do you guys remember when sony was like "poo poo those smash bros fans are insane, lets get us some of that" and tried to make a character mascot fighter, except they forgot they don't actually have really any mascots anymore, so the roster was full of some generic white shootmans, kratos, an evil version of one of the generic white guys, a cartoon dog whose last game was released eleven years ago, fat princess, and a big daddy from bioshock (which was an xbox 360/windows exclusive on release)? because that was genuinely very funny

No.

also that game was super unfun and tedious to play

Uhh so why didn't it take off like Smash Bros :confused:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Jerry Cotton posted:

You almost get it.

What do I almost get exactly? That the bad morality system can't possibly reflect any sort of actual morality? And is really dumb and bad?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

"don't murder children for your in gain" isn't exactly some crazy idea

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Playstation All Stars is what happens when arent willing to rip off an established game design and try to reinvent the wheel and gently caress up and end up slapping different angled triangles to your car

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

also that game was super unfun and tedious to play, which meant that it's (seriously) very cool mashup levels were totally wasted

Also had the worst name of any game in history: Playstation All Stars Battle Royale. Like there were two groups of people fighting over what to call it so they said gently caress it and used both names.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

a new study bible! posted:

Would you kindly STFU?

It takes a special kind of person to get upset at opinions in the unpopular videogames opinion thread.

Here's another unpopular opinion; The morality system in Bioshock was poo poo because If I killed a kid and saved all the others the game told me I wanted to conquer the world and kill everyone. The last shot is of a nuke :rolleyes:

It was dumb and bad.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I didn’t get the good ending in bio shock so I just watched the bik video for the good ending. Thank goodness it wasn’t in engine because I wasn’t playing it again.

Among other things about the game I really resented having to transform myself into a water monster to proceed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

I didn’t get the good ending in bio shock so I just watched the bik video for the good ending. Thank goodness it wasn’t in engine because I wasn’t playing it again.

Among other things about the game I really resented having to transform myself into a water monster to proceed.

The game is literally about doing things you don't want to do.

What fun!

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

doctorfrog posted:

would have been cool if they had gone Quake 4 with it and shown you strapped to a table with all of your bits being hacked open and stuffed with steampunk poo poo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zzulu posted:

That's dumb because it's presented as a gameplay element but then it determines entirely what kind of ending you get -and nothing else mattered. It was just a completely black and white arbitrary "choose a or b and you will become jesus or satan". It was trash.

The punishment for being a good guy is that you don't get to watch a satisfying cutscene of a child being murdered

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Being a child killer and not being a child killer is supposed to be black and white.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

olives black posted:

would have been cool if they had gone Quake 4 with it and shown you strapped to a table with all of your bits being hacked open and stuffed with steampunk poo poo

It would have been better than the monster part dispenser mechanic I vaguely recall.

The insane theater director guy level was a pretty drat good spectacle though. Overall I was expecting more “System Shock but 2008” and I did not receive very much of that. Instead it was these ludological lessons and some nice graphics and sounds.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

abigserve posted:

system shock 2 was released 8 years before bioshock, it's almost like some people want new games to play??

This reminded me about the Kickstarter I backed for the System Shock rebuild. I still think it has a better shot at actually coming to fruition than, say, Starcitizen. At least the developers were up front about being in completely over their head.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Caesar Saladin posted:

all these years later you're still mad you didn't get the good ending?

i'm mad that both endings sucked poo poo. i want the scrapped ending idea where the final boss is immortal because he keeps using the respawn machines, and eventually you die because the chamber you're fighting in is damaged and floods with water, but as you're losing consciousness you see him drown, and respawn, and drown, and respawn, and you get to die but he's trapped in this loop for all eternity

remove morality systems from games imo, tell the story you want to tell. if you want to make a game where the player is evil then do that

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The story they wanted to tell is one that makes you mad. :mmmhmm:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Beep boop morality is quantifiable

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I see beep boop so rarely these days

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Don't in-game characters also tell you that it's wrong to kill kids? It does practically everything imaginable to point out that it's a morally bad choice, you'd have to be supremely stupid to not get that even without the game spelling it out in crayon but then the game even does that lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Kids actually loving suck. Lol if you dont think it's great to kill them. Kill kids all the drat time imo!