Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Here4DaGangBang posted:

[✔️] Strongly disagree

The thing is the car as it stands now isn’t that loud from outside. It’s just the drone. THE DRONE.

My exhaust setup is good, not much drone at all. I am really sensitive to drone so if I can tolerate it it means it's pretty mild.

From engine back: tubular header, gt255r, Cobb catted downpipe, fswerks 2.5" exhaust. The exhaust is 2.5" through, no resonator, big muffler.

Also, consider deleting the sound symposer, my understanding is that it can transmit drone/vibration noises into the cabin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dk2m
May 6, 2009
After driving a C7 for a week with whatever exhaust management thing it has, I’ve been completely spoiled. My Invidia setup is super loud and brash in comparison and I legit cringe when I start it up in the morning these days. My 4 years ago self was not as enlightened it seems.

The ability to change from super stealth in neighborhoods and near speed traps to full on burbles and crackles on twistys is the best. And no drone!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

PaintVagrant posted:

My exhaust setup is good, not much drone at all. I am really sensitive to drone so if I can tolerate it it means it's pretty mild.

From engine back: tubular header, gt255r, Cobb catted downpipe, fswerks 2.5" exhaust. The exhaust is 2.5" through, no resonator, big muffler.

Also, consider deleting the sound symposer, my understanding is that it can transmit drone/vibration noises into the cabin.

Well, aside from the differences which could possibly result from your different turbo and header design, I don’t know why mine ended up being so loud and droney. The symposer is long gone so it’s not that. And to be clear, I think plenty of people would drive in my car and say “this is fine, what’s the problem?”, but I don’t want overly loud and I don’t want drone at any RPM.

I don’t even have a sports cat yet so I cringe imagining what that will be like if we can’t tame it. I still have my stock exhaust if it comes to that but I’m so deep into this damned exhaust system I want to make it work, sunk costs be damned.

Unfortunately, the FoST resonator made a minor difference, but I’m kind of shocked by how minor. Unless they installed it backwards, which I’ll check when it goes in next week to have new tips fitted.

I will laugh if it was the tips all along. I have an engineer mate who said he wouldn’t be surprised if having the pipes pointing and the ground may make it easier for the sound waves to couple with the body of the car or words to that effect, and I have seen posts from people on forums and whatever saying that if your tips don’t exit at least as far back as factory, they can be droney. I notice most aftermarket systems stick back a bit further than stock...

There’s always a quarter wave j-pipe as the next port of call, too...

Related: has anyone ever bothered doing any extra sound proofing on one of these cars? I’m tempted to do some just to bring the general road noise levels down..

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 5, 2019

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah but it adds weight.

dynamatting the doors/hatch lid and firewall if you are especially noise conscious will work, however you will add a non negligible amount of weight to the car.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
asides from being a loving pain in the rear end, but if you are doing speakers and a backup cam it aint so bad since your in there anyways

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
It turns out the previous owner of my GTI already removed the clutch assist spring, so that was half an hour wasted. Oh well!

I wonder about the clutch fluid flow restrictor, too...much harder to see without opening it up.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

sneakyfrog posted:

yeah but it adds weight.

dynamatting the doors/hatch lid and firewall if you are especially noise conscious will work, however you will add a non negligible amount of weight to the car.

Understand re: weight penalty but I figure if I add 20-30kg in sound deadening and just get more disciplined about not carrying around a bunch of poo poo in the car which doesn’t need to be in there, it’s a wash.. with the benefits of less road noise and better stereo performance if I do inside the doors and everything.

Also at some point I’ll be getting new wheels which should save a decent chunk of weight too, apparently the standard alloys on these things are pretty heavy.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
well then yeah you'll get good results its a solid PITA but yeah stuff works

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I had a very droney 2.75" exhaust before I got the 2.5". It was so bad I dynamatted the rear hatch floor. Didn't help at all.

This car just rings like a bell at common 4cylinder exhaust frequencies. I found the 2.75" exhaust droned brutally bad at around 3k-3500 rpm.

Btw I did use the fswerks exhaust with stock turbo and manifold and it wasn't droney with that setup either.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I decided not to mess with the exhaust on my FoST. Just put a high-flow filter on and an airbox that seals against the hood and that seems to provide enough noise for me. Oh and eventually got sick of the Active Sound Symposer (sidenote: "A.S.S." lol) and took that out.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Man Abarth 500s are so drat cheap used... is the reliability really that bad?

And yeah they sound angry as hell

I had no problems and then I had to replace both CV axles and the steering column at 37k.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I will laugh if it was the tips all along. I have an engineer mate who said he wouldn’t be surprised if having the pipes pointing and the ground may make it easier for the sound waves to couple with the body of the car or words to that effect, and I have seen posts from people on forums and whatever saying that if your tips don’t exit at least as far back as factory, they can be droney. I notice most aftermarket systems stick back a bit further than stock...

Its kind of funny how this works, I need earplugs in my S2000 normally but when I bolt on my 90* turn to pass sound the car goes to near stock level quiet inside

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Its kind of funny how this works, I need earplugs in my S2000 normally but when I bolt on my 90* turn to pass sound the car goes to near stock level quiet inside

Sorry can you clarify what you mean here? I think autocorrect may have stepped in..

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

PaintVagrant posted:

I had a very droney 2.75" exhaust before I got the 2.5". It was so bad I dynamatted the rear hatch floor. Didn't help at all.

This car just rings like a bell at common 4cylinder exhaust frequencies. I found the 2.75" exhaust droned brutally bad at around 3k-3500 rpm.

Btw I did use the fswerks exhaust with stock turbo and manifold and it wasn't droney with that setup either.

Oh yeah, to be clear then sound proofing would just be a quality of life thing, make the car feel overall a bit more expensive. I’ve read that people have done this to quiet drone and it’s been useless so I have no expectations there.

I guess it’s just a hatchback challenge with the cabin resonating so much. I probably should have gone for 2.25” to start with, it’s not like the car needs to breathe that much better, AFAIK the stock downpipe is the bottleneck on the stock system.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Sorry can you clarify what you mean here? I think autocorrect may have stepped in..

I was saying I think it is funny how a small exhaust change can affect the drone inside the cabin. I have a 3" header back on my S2000 that makes the inside of the car unbearable due to drone, so I wear earplugs when I drive it, however there is a local track that has a 96dB limit. For this specific track I have a 90* elbow that I clamp onto the exhaust to point the sound away from the meter, which allows it to pass, and as an added weird side benefit the drone in the car goes away completely.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

I was saying I think it is funny how a small exhaust change can affect the drone inside the cabin. I have a 3" header back on my S2000 that makes the inside of the car unbearable due to drone, so I wear earplugs when I drive it, however there is a local track that has a 96dB limit. For this specific track I have a 90* elbow that I clamp onto the exhaust to point the sound away from the meter, which allows it to pass, and as an added weird side benefit the drone in the car goes away completely.

Ah, so a 90° tailpipe attachment? Cool, I was hoping that’s what you meant. Gives me some hope that the pipe arrangement may be a big factor...

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Stay with stock pads Kill Hour

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

dk2m posted:

After driving a C7 for a week with whatever exhaust management thing it has, I’ve been completely spoiled. My Invidia setup is super loud and brash in comparison and I legit cringe when I start it up in the morning these days. My 4 years ago self was not as enlightened it seems.

The ability to change from super stealth in neighborhoods and near speed traps to full on burbles and crackles on twistys is the best. And no drone!

The active exhaust may be one of my favorite features on my mustang. Programable quiet mode for when I leave in the morning (or get home late). Normal mode has a nice growl to it. Sport and Track are full on ludicrous and I can't believe it's a factory exhaust. Sounds like an exotic over 7k. Also no drone even in track mode on the highway which is nice.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Hey, rev, so should I get the obdeleven pro? A little unclear what the differences are.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Shopdap has a YouTube video of that exact topic. Mobile or I'd link it. I went pro but I don't know what exact feature sold me on that one.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Crunchy Black posted:

Hey, rev, so should I get the obdeleven pro? A little unclear what the differences are.

Just get the regular one. I think the pro gives you more points or something dumb.

The one annoying part of these things is they make you watch ads in the app to gain points to make changes. Yeah it's incredibly loving stupid. But the points are easy to bank so don't worry about it. Also I think you can make VCDS style changes without using points, the points are just for the one-click mods.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

revmoo posted:

Just get the regular one. I think the pro gives you more points or something dumb.

The one annoying part of these things is they make you watch ads in the app to gain points to make changes. Yeah it's incredibly loving stupid. But the points are easy to bank so don't worry about it. Also I think you can make VCDS style changes without using points, the points are just for the one-click mods.
:barf:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Oh I agree, but it's still a better deal than forking over for a VCDS cable and software, which costs more and is capable of less.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Stay with stock pads Kill Hour

Where's the best place to buy em?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

KillHour posted:

Where's the best place to buy em?

When I upgraded my FoST brakes to the RS brembos, cheapest I found was rockauto. Tasca parts is also very good.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

:sweatdrop:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
That had to scare the poo poo out of you when you walked up to it!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Better part it out for cheap just to be safe... I call dibs on the seats and AP :P

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I lucked out. A guy who works at the game store I was hanging out in yelled at everyone that the lot was flooding. I had no idea it was even raining!

My car was at the lowest point of the parking lot. Another couple of minutes and who knows...maybe a write off.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
How busted are my LCA bushings and how much would you expect a shop to charge to replace them?

Front passenger side:

Front driver side:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

MetaJew posted:

How busted are my LCA bushings and how much would you expect a shop to charge to replace them?

Front passenger side:

Front driver side:

Are they clunking? Hard to tell what shape they're in but those type are super easy to replace, about 3 bolts per side.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I have several clunks that I'm trying to track down. I have new struts, tophats, and strut bearings that I am planning to replace. I noticed some play there. I'm not sure if a portion of the clunking is also coming from the LCA though.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

opengl128 posted:

The active exhaust may be one of my favorite features on my mustang. Programable quiet mode for when I leave in the morning (or get home late). Normal mode has a nice growl to it. Sport and Track are full on ludicrous and I can't believe it's a factory exhaust. Sounds like an exotic over 7k. Also no drone even in track mode on the highway which is nice.

The new 3-cylinder FiST has a bi-modal muffler to go with the various drive modes AFAIK, it would be nice to have that ability.

I confirmed that the FoST res has been installed correctly, and the new tips are going on tomorrow morning. I’m more and more certain the tips will make a marked difference. I re-stumbled upon a vid on YouTube where a guy with a Dodge of some description found that his new exhaust was really droney, but when he switched from the stock rear valance (which had those fake exhaust pipe trims built in with the actual pipe exit being back under the bumper and firing through those trims) to the rear valance off some other variant and added tips which protruded out past the bumper a couple of inches, his drone disappeared..

In other news, the stock engine mounts on FiSTS seem really pissweak both in terms of how soft they are and their tendency to fail. Mine has been making a weird creaky noise when it’s cold since last year, and I now know from talking to other owners that this is a classic sign of a mount which has failed or is going to. Ford have confirmed my mount is sagged. I was going to get a new factory mount and augment it with a Powerflex insert (and add an insert to the gearbox mount too) but another local owner just installed the Vibratech Fast Road mounts in both locations and found very little extra vibration and much better feel over the stockers, so I ordered a set of them last night.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Here4DaGangBang posted:

The new 3-cylinder FiST has a bi-modal muffler to go with the various drive modes AFAIK, it would be nice to have that ability.

I confirmed that the FoST res has been installed correctly, and the new tips are going on tomorrow morning. I’m more and more certain the tips will make a marked difference. I re-stumbled upon a vid on YouTube where a guy with a Dodge of some description found that his new exhaust was really droney, but when he switched from the stock rear valance (which had those fake exhaust pipe trims built in with the actual pipe exit being back under the bumper and firing through those trims) to the rear valance off some other variant and added tips which protruded out past the bumper a couple of inches, his drone disappeared..

In other news, the stock engine mounts on FiSTS seem really pissweak both in terms of how soft they are and their tendency to fail. Mine has been making a weird creaky noise when it’s cold since last year, and I now know from talking to other owners that this is a classic sign of a mount which has failed or is going to. Ford have confirmed my mount is sagged. I was going to get a new factory mount and augment it with a Powerflex insert (and add an insert to the gearbox mount too) but another local owner just installed the Vibratech Fast Road mounts in both locations and found very little extra vibration and much better feel over the stockers, so I ordered a set of them last night.

I put the eFocus rear motor mount on my 09 MS3. The PO had installed the Cusco insert, sometimes before I bought it, about 80k miles ago. The original mount seemed undamaged, but the new eFocus amount has made a significant difference.

Apparently Focus RS owners and ST owners have done the eFocus swap. I would do that over an insert.

I haven't noticed any extra vibrations.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

MetaJew posted:

I put the eFocus rear motor mount on my 09 MS3. The PO had installed the Cusco insert, sometimes before I bought it, about 80k miles ago. The original mount seemed undamaged, but the new eFocus amount has made a significant difference.

Apparently Focus RS owners and ST owners have done the eFocus swap. I would do that over an insert.

I haven't noticed any extra vibrations.

The FoRS has the eFocus RMM from the factory. It’s pretty awful when you use launch control, so I upgraded to the CP-E Stage 2 RMM. Made a huge difference in how the car feels. I’ll eventually upgrade the other two motor mounts to CP-E units too.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Huge_Midget posted:

The FoRS has the eFocus RMM from the factory. It’s pretty awful when you use launch control, so I upgraded to the CP-E Stage 2 RMM. Made a huge difference in how the car feels. I’ll eventually upgrade the other two motor mounts to CP-E units too.

Ah I did not know that. Depending on how much longer I keep my car, I may upgrade the motor mounts to the ones made by Damond for my MS3, but I can understand why you'd upgrade from the eFocus to something stiffer on the RS.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

What is an eFocus?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Here4DaGangBang posted:

What is an eFocus?

Electric Ford Focus

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Electric Ford Focus

Ok, that’s what I thought. I’ve never heard of it! Obvs we don’t get it in Australia. I guess I was thrown because why would an electric car have the same engine mounting points as a petrol, but it makes sense they’d try to use the same ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I'm not even sure what it is. It might be one of those California-only cars for all I know. In my case, there was/is a lot of parts sharing between the mazda 3 and various Focuses (Foci?), and the eFocus RMM, along with strut tophats and strut bearings, were recommended upgrades or alternative parts.