Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

https://www.pcgamer.com/warframes-s...uffer-pcgamertw

quote:

My favorite feature is the Squad Link, which lets you send a distress signal to nearby players in your alliance to have them assist you on your mission from where they are. In the demo, Digital Extremes developers are squaring off against a Kuva Lich, a mutated monster that, similar to Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis System, changes and adapts after each time you fight them. This particular Kuva Lich has secured an impenetrable capital ship, and just as the squad is about to engage it directly the Kuva Lich activates a shield relay located on Earth that protects it.

Sinclair says this is Warframe's Battle of Endor moment, harkening back to Return of the Jedi when the rebel alliance must attack the Death Star while a smaller force simultaneously tries to deactivate its shield generator on a nearby planet.

quote:

That covers most of the glamorous bits. The good news is that a Railjack is in reach for most players willing to spend the time and resources to build one—but it will require a Clan dojo (think guild house if you're new) with a Drydock expansion. Each player can have their own Railjack, but only the host-player's Railjack will be used in missions (so you'll have to choose which player gets to play captain). Even if you're new, though, you can always be part of the crew on another player's Railjack.

There's still no confirmed release date for Empyrean, but given that Fortuna released in November last year and was also revealed around the same time, it's a safe bet that Railjack will arrive either late 2019 or early 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is the Fyre Festival motherfucker, he is serving time in prison for fraud.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

I just love that one of the best known bugs in the game, that has been present for 6+ years, that never gets patched, is that the loving door on the starter ship that every Citizen will use at some point is a death trap that kills you instantly.

The fact that this game-ruiner is not even a low priority bug fix for the company should tell you all you need to know.

Imagine if there was a bug in World of Warcraft that threw away the first three levels of progression for every player in the game, if they didn't click the level-up button just right. Imagine anyone actually mentioning the bug being accused of FUD and trying to ruin the game. That is Star Citizen in 2019.

Counterpoint: none of the players CIG actually gives a poo poo about will ever have to use an Aurora unless they really want to for some reason.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Millions not billions!!!

valiantlife
Dec 6, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

I just love that one of the best known bugs in the game, that has been present for 6+ years, that never gets patched, is that the loving door on the starter ship that every Citizen will use at some point is a death trap that kills you instantly.

The fact that this game-ruiner is not even a low priority bug fix for the company should tell you all you need to know.

Imagine if there was a bug in World of Warcraft that threw away the first three levels of progression for every player in the game, if they didn't click the level-up button just right. Imagine anyone actually mentioning the bug being accused of FUD and trying to ruin the game. That is Star Citizen in 2019.

AFAIK the bugged is tied to the server running at about 5fps and so running out the door could mean you miss a bunch of server ticks. The server then drags you back inside the ship and forces you to do the ladder climbing cinematic but by forcing you back inside it causes a large amount of damage so you die.

The bigger issue here is forcing the player to do the dumb climb down cut scene when, in a sandbox game like this, players should have the freedom to leave the ship however they want.

This also goes for the dumb chair swivel and anything involving ladders.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

skeletors_condom posted:

Millions not billions!!!

So they are gonna have millions of NPCs that nobody will ever get to see, do nothing that could ever affect the player(s), while also not existing and magically working the economy... somehow?

Guys, they are loving lying about the NPCs. If the NPCs can't be seen then they are just faking the economy, because thats legitamitely the smart way to handle this poo poo.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

skeletors_condom posted:

Poe's law in action. :smuggo:

8 years, every game developer that has ever existed that long had already made at least 2 games and currently working on their 3rd, with about 1/10th the staff, 1/100th the budget

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

skeletors_condom posted:

Millions not billions!!!

You see if you say you want to run a sub two hour marathon it's basically the same thing a running sub two hour marathon. Stating what you are going to do is the same as doing it.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

tee hee heee
citizors will win every argument with this.
“its there in the background simulation, you just cant see it.“
bonus points for:
“if you didnt always know that then you must be stupid.“

this 10/1 NPC ratio was there from day one to sell SC.
i cannot remember chris saying:
“BUT ATTENTION GUYS! you wont see them you will only see miles eckehardt.“

you know what, i have a wive and kids. but they are simulated you cant see them.

oh it goes on with how cig will be the “dungeon masters“ of it all.
how is any of this new?
and how is that a “social experiment“? dual universe will be a social experiment as is eve.
sc is just a hodgepodge of ideas thrown in the mix and, magically, what they are ultimately aiming for (after a lot of iteration) is then always the solution which requires the least technology to back it up.

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 7, 2019

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SelenicMartian posted:

Here's an easy level by me, featuring deadly ramps.

The Star Citizen Saga

SVS-CLR-6NG

SelenicMartian posted:

Lots of kickstarter money, elaborate trailers, dire actual space combat, ground maps with ramps that kill people more than enemies, attempts to add extra stuff like trains. Oh, and someone short tempered is trying to have a movie career in the secret room.

Oh, and there's a dick in the comments, so it's perfect.
Someone made a star citizen level in super mario maker 2.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Guys, they are loving lying about the NPCs. If the NPCs can't be seen then they are just faking the economy, because thats legitamitely the smart way to handle this poo poo.
that's how we know they're not faking it

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
shitizens are in full denial mode

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

colonelwest posted:

Some "gamer girl" on Twitch is selling bottles of her bath water online.

It's the latest progression in the cute girls feigning interest in nerd poo poo to make money of off desperate neckbeards industrial complex. Personally, I don't begrudge them one bit. They saw a market full of idiotic and puerile weirdos and cashed in on it; like the Citizenry, their audience deserves to have every penny milked from them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbw9p4q82b8&t=27277s

Archer'd.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

stingtwo posted:

8 years, every game developer that has ever existed that long had already made at least 2 games and currently working on their 3rd, with about 1/10th the staff, 1/100th the budget
CIG for the first years of its existence was almost solely developing videos and jpegs to sell to the morons.
Then things became stale.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
god drat tennocon was good. i don't even like this genre but railjack does SC better than SC, does ATLAS better than ATLAS, does its own thing too

real big impressive

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

AbstractNapper posted:

CIG for the first years of its existence was almost solely developing videos and jpegs to sell to the morons.

They didn't even do THAT, that was all Crytek :P

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Ad by Khad posted:

god drat tennocon was good. i don't even like this genre but railjack does SC better than SC, does ATLAS better than ATLAS, does its own thing too

real big impressive

Warframe also keeps track of argon levels without exploding.

No, really, argon is a crafting ingredient that decays at a rate of one unit per 24-real-life-hours.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

AbstractNapper posted:

Then they began baiting and switching game gimmicks with what is definitely coming up in the next patch, swear on Chris' life.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So they are gonna have millions of NPCs that nobody will ever get to see, do nothing that could ever affect the player(s), while also not existing and magically working the economy... somehow?

Chris said "we have a large universe simulated with millions of NPCs and the player base will be a portion of that" and it they ever go further than talking out their rear end I'll be the most surprised. If market prices are affected in any way between two online players right now I would call that pretty impressive performance for CIG.

I saw the 10 min video of the guy selling something profitable at Argon Hex till the NPC (actually a lame terminal window) wouldn't buy anymore, but I'm thinking that had no impact on anyone else on the server and good chance it's just controlled by some var in his client. What I know for sure is that when the server crashed 10 mins later everything reset back to 0.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

NoMas posted:

Looks like that WitchfinderPrivate user has already deleted their account?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Man, all the stuff they keep adding to Warframe is so cool, but it's sad I find the game itself really, really tedious to play.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 7, 2019

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lol imagine thinking anybody outside of /r/starcitizen gives a poo poo about or even knows what /r/starcitizen_refunds is

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've yet to see a single online retailer or physical shop that accepts bitcoins. It's not worth anything because you can't use monopoly money to buy stuff.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

NoMas posted:

Star Citizen: A Crytek map that you can't leave with your ship.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

"Dirtbag Left" - new band name, called it.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Guys, they are loving lying about the NPCs.

NO.

Tony Z said we’d be able to form lifelong relationships with them that would flourish and evolve. They will respond to our hygiene and fashion choices. Do not forget clothing-sensitive mission generation! The right jacket or eyepatch could unlock entire different futures, altering our in-game destinies forever.

And don’t forget this doesn’t just apply to friendly NPCs. As per the townhall four years ago, CIG is taking the Nemesis mechanics of Mordor to the next level, too. Subsumption will make it possible thanks to machine learning + cloud tech + neural networks + dreams.

NoMas posted:

Star Citizen: Don’t let the hype cloud your mind, young padawan. (Deletes account)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I said come in! posted:

I've yet to see a single online retailer or physical shop that accepts bitcoins. It's not worth anything because you can't use monopoly money to buy stuff.

The only ones that did in any quantity were firearm retailers. Go figure.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Can't spend it, and last I was aware converting it js a pain in the rear end if the trader your one isn't just a complete scam (its most likely a complete scam)

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

G0RF posted:

Tony Z said we’d be able to form lifelong relationships with them that would flourish and evolve. They will respond to our hygiene and fashion choices. Do not forget clothing-sensitive mission generation! The right jacket or eyepatch could unlock entire different futures, altering our in-game destinies forever.

And don’t forget this doesn’t just apply to friendly NPCs. As per the townhall four years ago, CIG is taking the Nemesis mechanics of Mordor to the next level, too. Subsumption will make it possible thanks to machine learning + cloud tech + neural networks + dreams.

Gosh when you put it that way it sounds like they were talking about things they hadn't actually designed yet.

But why would they do that, six years in? That would basically be lying.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

CIG Hacking Prototype, 2017
https://gfycat.com/vibrantterribleblacklab

The design posted:

You have a timer on top showing seconds and milliseconds

Meter showing a value right

3 programs shown at your disposal for use - Portbomb, Shellkit and Rootworm

Values at the right of the programs, which don't update currently

Ability to Cycle Proxy, or Disconnect from the system

Timer bars to show program run progress, and the ability to run more than one at a time

A Gate level to show progress of some sort

A blank door pass code on the right which gets more characters revealed as progress is made

Actual Released Hacking, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exUbUbZsdC4&t=355s

the video posted:

Put key in console, wait 15 minutes

So what I'm trying to say is that when they talk about unreleased features it is a sure bet that they will come out exactly as described and not as giant fun-vacuums.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

And don't walk away from that loving console Citizen because it's going to throw up a "Continue yes/no" prompt at random intervals.

This is to make sure you're having fun during your 15 minute hack.

Remarkably similar to the overheat mechanic that drops you out of quantum travel at random intervals on your 15 minute space flight! This is all very normal game design and not the product of an idiot.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

G0RF posted:

NO.

The Tony Z Citcon talks are underrated gems. He just sits there and weaves dreams of the most fidelitous full universe sim ever to an audience of mega whales. It's all pure bullshit that is nowhere to be seen in even the most elementary form 7 years and 250 million dollars into this mess, but the true believers learn it all by rote and spit it back out like a mantra.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Citizens are totally fine with the events that are taking place

Because saying "You're right this is bad' might in some way mean saying "I was wrong" even about the most trivial, minor details, and that must never happen.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

CIG Hacking Prototype, 2017
https://gfycat.com/vibrantterribleblacklab

Actual Released Hacking, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exUbUbZsdC4&t=355s

So what I'm trying to say is that when they talk about unreleased features it is a sure bet that they will come out exactly as described and not as giant fun-vacuums.

But as Bored says it's only Tier 0!

It's CIG's typical mode of operations; spend years trying to make some mundane aspect of the game needlessly complex and fidelitious, only to give up and release the most basic implementation possible that is utterly broken and boring, promise its only an early pre-alpha place holder version, then forget about it and leave it in that state forever. But the Citizenry never learns, they always think that the original promised version is right on the horizon so anyone criticizing its current form is a filthy FUDster.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 7, 2019

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Sarsapariller posted:

The default assumption of the MRA crowd is that women are marrying you to steal your money.

I've been out of the loop for a while, are the MRA-type weirdos still concerned about sperm-jacking? I hope so, mutants scared of women stealing their semen seems almost wholesome in the year of our Lord 2019.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Beet Wagon posted:

Counterpoint: none of the players CIG actually gives a poo poo about will ever have to use an Aurora unless they really want to for some reason.

Not that they did it on purpose but CIG probably want the starter ship to be bad and frustrating. The doors (which work and have for years now, I insist) murder-clipping commandos is just advertisement for an upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Bumble He posted:

ok so my date with that fantastic lady is over. it was no roaring success (like PUBG), but also it was no total shitshow (like SC). it was decent and cool (like ED).

now i hope there will be some DLC

You should share this insight with her immediately for complete success.

Wait no don’t.