Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

crazy cloud posted:

I have said it before, when it was more controversial, but if Biden is the nominee I will canvass gotv for trump

Please don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

crazy cloud posted:

I have said it before, when it was more controversial, but if Biden is the nominee I will canvass gotv for trump

horseshoe vs fishhook theories etc

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

crazy cloud posted:

Biden is the Trump of the left so the logic applies here rationally and if you disagree you are actually the insane one here :o: because Biden should have primary'd as a republican

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
Owning libs by campaigning for trump

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Bernie stans turned out in droves for Trump in 2016, why would expect it to be any different in 2020?

Like, at this point I'm honestly torn. Do we HAVE to let Bernie win the primary so his stans don't destroy the world out of spite, or should we shut Bernie down again to send a message, consequences be damned?

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
biden as president would be just as if not more destructive as trump and presumably would run successfully as an incumbent in 2024 so if you vote for biden you're for 8 more years of fascist racist rapist rule, if you vote for trump it's only 4. neither gives a poo poo about climate change so that's a wash. And Biden's anti abortion too lmfao

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Calibanibal posted:

Bernie stans turned out in droves for Trump in 2016, why would expect it to be any different in 2020?

Like, at this point I'm honestly torn. Do we HAVE to let Bernie win the primary so his stans don't destroy the world out of spite, or should we shut Bernie down again to send a message, consequences be damned?

Its the first option, I'm afraid

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

crazy cloud posted:

biden as president would be just as if not more destructive as trump and presumably would run successfully as an incumbent in 2024 so if you vote for biden you're for 8 more years of fascist racist rapist rule, if you vote for trump it's only 4. neither gives a poo poo about climate change so that's a wash. And Biden's anti abortion too lmfao

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

crazy cloud posted:

Hey, remember that time Clinton almost got rid of social security except get got caught getting top in the oval office which ended up kind of screwing up the timing on that? Vote blue no matter who~

e: Hey, remember that time Obama and Biden almost did the same in... 2010 or 2012 because they wanted to ~balance the budget~ but the GOP didn't want to give them the satisfaction?

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 7, 2019

selec
Sep 6, 2003

E: wrong thread

selec fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 7, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DNC Primary 2020: thje only moral thing to do is write in Trump on your primary ballot

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
hmm yes this thread could use a good controlled bern

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

eke out posted:

DNC Primary 2020: thje only moral thing to do is write in Trump on your primary ballot

Luckily for everyone Biden isn't going to make it that far.

I say, sounding increasingly nervous while staring at a wall covered in post-it notes that say "Super? Tuesday"

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Iamgoofball posted:

"person who theoretically could potentially collaborate with repubs to ruin everything"

this isn't theoretical, he's done it before on a number of occasions and his whole campaign is about doing it again

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I'm always puzzled how people think Bernie, the guy who has had a laser-focus on a single issue since 1972, is somehow going to prioritize all these things that are not that.

Because when Bernie tried to weasel out of Abolish ICE he crumpled like a tin can in the face of left wing anger lol.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bernie is the only one who’s recognized being harassed by the left isn’t fun or good so he can shift when he needs to. I don’t think he’s concerned with fake news centrists.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Nonsense posted:

Bernie is the only one who’s recognized being harassed by the left isn’t fun or good. I don’t think he’s concerned with fake news centrists.

I’d say Bernie is the only candidate who fears the left wing activist base more than the donor class which as it turns out is really useful to the left wing activist base!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

crazy cloud posted:

This isn't true just for the judicial appointments. I despise Biden and think he would be a horrible president but what you're saying just isn't true.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

This isn't true just for the judicial appointments. I despise Biden and think he would be a horrible president but what you're saying just isn't true.

lol McConnell isn't letting Biden appoint judges

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

crazy cloud posted:

If that happens it's still a better result than 4 more years of Trump appointing 40 year old fascists to every level of the judiciary and probably 2 more SCOTUS seats.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mcmagic posted:

If that happens it's still a better result than 4 more years of Trump appointing 40 year old fascists to every level of the judiciary and probably 2 more SCOTUS seats.

Are you brain dead? Jwing :3:

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

What the gently caress are you idiots talking about canvassing for Trump and GOTV for Trump :ughh:

Like I'm not voting for Biden either but there's a pretty big difference between saying "this ain't it, chief (of the DNC)" and "well actually fascism is really cool and good, if you think about it, and furthermore

"Electoral politics is dead and direct action is all we have left" is an acceptable response to an establishment Dem win in the primary. "Welp, better join the fash, I guess" is not.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
biden can rot, cold day in hell before i vote for him

"biden is better than trump"

how?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

If I tried to vote for Biden or Trump I would probably cough up blood and die.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

crazy cloud posted:

But he'll let Bernie do it?

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Calibanibal posted:

If I tried to vote for Biden or Trump I would probably cough up blood and die.

I'd vote for one of the random 25 3rd parties on Colorado's ballot for president. Then vote D on everything else.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Z. Autobahn posted:

But he'll let Bernie do it?

Bernie won't just shrug and go "whelp guess there's nothing I can do about it," which is in large part the point of building an actual popular movement while running for office (and not discarding it the picosecond you're in office).

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Lightning Knight posted:

I’d say Bernie is the only candidate who fears the left wing activist base more than the donor class which as it turns out is really useful to the left wing activist base!

Isn't it technically correct that the left wing activists is the donor base for Bernie?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
What's wrong with Julian Castro? He seems good.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

twodot posted:

C) The mandate is effectively dead and there is no apparent death spiral, so maybe it just doesn't even matter

The mandate is only effectively dead if the Dems don't win the presidency and the Senate.

Biden is "saying the quiet part out loud" but short of a tax-based M4A system every Dem proposal includes, at the least, an opt-out-only healthcare plan.

Under Medicare for America people who are uninsured would be enrolled in the non-tax-based "public option"--and fully subject to paying the premiums, which would be about 10 percent of one's annual income--deductibles and co-pays not included.

The only way to get the insurance industry to adopt a post-ACA plan is by making it compulsory and by not restricting insurers, providers and pharma pricing. This is what they wrote into the ACA, and this is what will be their metric for anything beyond the ACA.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Bernie won't just shrug and go "whelp guess there's nothing I can do about it," which is in large part the point of building an actual popular movement while running for office (and not discarding it the picosecond you're in office).

Okay, so instead of shrugging and giving up, he... does what, exactly?

teacher_man
Feb 11, 2017

Z. Autobahn posted:

continues the work of uniting and inspiring the people to mass, collective action

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Z. Autobahn posted:

More than nothing, which is what Biden would do. It's what Obama did also, by the way.

Bernie would at least speak the truth about what is / would be happening. He wouldn't just shrug and talk about how we need more bipartisanship.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

So no justices get approved in either scenario, but in the Bernie one, there's some inspiring rhetoric for his base. Got it. Seismic difference.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Lot of people in denial about Biden appointing Republican-approved justices.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Z. Autobahn posted:

So no justices get approved in either scenario, but in the Bernie one, there's some inspiring rhetoric for his base. Got it. Seismic difference.

It could be the difference that takes us the Senate in 2022.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Okay, let's say the general isn't trump/Biden, it's Kasich/Biden. Are y'all brokebrains voting for kasich?

This is a fun rabbit hole, very curious how deep it goes.

Also good question earlier: what's Castro's deal? Is there some position he has that renders him persona non grata to the horseshoe theory in action "left"?

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

Under a Dem President with a Mitch McConnell Senate blocking everything and an almost-certain economic collapse, Dems will be likely not to lose Senate Seats. Especially given Manchin's looking for an exit strategy.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Ninth Layer posted:

Yeah, if Bernie can get the youth votes to turn out, that will affect the down ballot as well.

And like other posters have mentioned, Bernie won't just roll over and take McConnell's bullshit. He, along with AOC and the rest of the new Dem blood, will continue to actively call this poo poo out, which will help get the obstructionists primaried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Z. Autobahn posted:

Under a Dem President with a Mitch McConnell Senate blocking everything and an almost-certain economic collapse, Dems will be likely not to lose Senate Seats. Especially given Manchin's looking for an exit strategy.

So who's going to energize turnout for 2022 better? Joe Biden who will shrug his shoulders at McConnell blocking his nominations? Or Bernie Sanders raising hell about it daily?