Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I added a "Perks" section to my guide, please tell me how much crack i'm smoking:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=902880552

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Could anyone tell me where the best site/method to download mods for this is? I know there's no Steam Workshop and really would like to add some mods to allow me to see recruits before buying. I am a filthy cheater and spend a huge chunk of time saving and reloading my game in order to recruit efficiently.

Any recommendations for a well packed seed are also really appreciated. I want to set up a proper good run where there's plenty of easy money, good places to buy gear and recruit bros, and the locations (particularly in the north where barbarians are) support questing into the far wilderness to farm unique items.

My last run through was Northern Raiders and I found it a bit frustrating - because of how the houses work, I wasn't really able to operate at length in the northern part of the map, so I never got much high level barbarian type kit, or any of the unique barbarian recruit events.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Nexus mods has been my go to.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Genghis Cohen posted:

Could anyone tell me where the best site/method to download mods for this is? I know there's no Steam Workshop and really would like to add some mods to allow me to see recruits before buying. I am a filthy cheater and spend a huge chunk of time saving and reloading my game in order to recruit efficiently.

Any recommendations for a well packed seed are also really appreciated. I want to set up a proper good run where there's plenty of easy money, good places to buy gear and recruit bros, and the locations (particularly in the north where barbarians are) support questing into the far wilderness to farm unique items.

My last run through was Northern Raiders and I found it a bit frustrating - because of how the houses work, I wasn't really able to operate at length in the northern part of the map, so I never got much high level barbarian type kit, or any of the unique barbarian recruit events.

Yeah, I'd recommend "chosenhell" with Trader start for a nice long game, it's what I'm settling into. Use BBedit to give your starting bros good traits.

https://bb.frukso.se/seed/OYTDZXDZSO/ is probably the best northern raiders seed I've seen -- great southern trading. As you say though the problem with raiders is you miss the north half of the map.

Nexus Mods has it all. I like Better Obituary, Tryout Stars, easier lone wolf, battle preparation, and better hit information. You'll need mod hooks as well.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
BBEdit doesn't work with any mods that add items and/or traits, so be warned. It's a pity, because the Battle Sisters mod (which lets you recruit female mercs, not 40K's battle sisters) has apparently been folded into the Legends mod, and is no longer being updated.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I'd recommend "chosenhell" with Trader start for a nice long game, it's what I'm settling into. Use BBedit to give your starting bros good traits.

https://bb.frukso.se/seed/OYTDZXDZSO/ is probably the best northern raiders seed I've seen -- great southern trading. As you say though the problem with raiders is you miss the north half of the map.

Nexus Mods has it all. I like Better Obituary, Tryout Stars, easier lone wolf, battle preparation, and better hit information. You'll need mod hooks as well.

Thank you very much! But mod hooks? Will try to figure it out.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Oh and just for everyone

It is totally worthwhile to search for some Bros with good matk, init, and Huge, and make them into dedicated overwhelm warscythe Lancers

I don't know how I lived before I found them

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Genghis Cohen posted:

Thank you very much! But mod hooks? Will try to figure it out.

its just another mod on the nexus but it basically lets mods insert edits into the game files so they don't overwrite each other with full replacement

On another note, I really wish there was a lock button or toggle on inventory items. I've sold some useful stuff a few too many times, most recently the golden goose when I wasn't paying attention.

(please one of you tell me there is and Im dumb)

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 4, 2019

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing in the noble war on my current run. Started just finding groups that had knights in them, then training them onto other groups till they were small enough to tackle.

just rmemeber to leave one house friendly enough to get the general reset.
What I like to do in the noble war when there are no contracts for it is to look around the map to see which allied villages or cities have a lot of ruined/burning attachments, because that's usually the current target of one of the houses. You can go there and fight off waves of incoming soldiers, save the village from being conquered and make thousands a day selling gear.
Or you can look for allied troops headed into enemy territory. They're probably going to attack an enemy settlement. If they're going off the road or you find two companies traveling together they definitely are going to attack something. Then you can travel with them and help them conquer their target.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
I do miss how long the noble war used to last. no complaints on not being stuck in the dead wars, but I miss long noble wars.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

they should just let you siege towns yourself in noble wars and get compensation from which ever side you give it to.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

stopgap1 posted:

I do miss how long the noble war used to last. no complaints on not being stuck in the dead wars, but I miss long noble wars.

theres a mod to extend the length of the crisis events, I'm currently using it in my game. Unfortunately I can't tell if it works correctly yet; the crisis is definitely longer but the renown event for it says (just started) even though I've had 2 large battles and sieged 3 towns :v:. We'll see if it has a proper end still.

I definitely enjoy the war being this long though, a lot of interesting fights/ambushes with random mercenary parties and such.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Having a good fencer in a goblin fight is so much fun. Just pinballing around, killing 3 goblins a turn, bouncing through the frontline to the backline and oneshotting everything

germlin
May 31, 2011
Fun Shoe

Roobanguy posted:

they should just let you siege towns yourself in noble wars and get compensation from which ever side you give it to.

For sale, Kaltenhof, bidding starts at 5000 crowns. drat the default reserve size should be 25 for all origins to fit in niche builds peasents are bit too class conscientious.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Also if you are like 200 days in the battle reinforcements just slow the noble battles down for you. I has destroying 30 nobles with my 12 man party like they were bandit thugs when I'd meet them randomly but the seige battles took forever because I'd have to watch 15 footmen use shield wall every turn and get in my way.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I added a "Perks" section to my guide, please tell me how much crack i'm smoking:

Hooo my man, you cruisin down crack smoke highway in fourth gear

.. no seriously, I've never been good at perks and it seems like sensible advice :ohdear:

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009

Just wanted to say thanks for writing this. I used your guide when i fist stared playing BattleBrothers and it really helped get a handle on the game.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Roobanguy posted:

gently caress it, if you get 90% of the kills you should have the option of seizing the town for yourself.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

CommissarMega posted:

gently caress it, if you get 90% of the kills you should have the option of seizing the town for yourself.

And then put out missions for other companies to retrieve artefacts for you!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Headhunter is a trap. It only does something if you've hit the body before, so it often contributes to spreading damage around. And most enemies worth building for have good helmets: Ancient Dead all do, Orc Warriors generally do although there is a low level Orc Warrior variant that sometimes doesn't, Fallen Heroes usually wear helmets, noble troops with the obvious exception of Sergeants often have better helmets than body armor.

I also think the cleaver/whip bro is in the wrong category. Cleaver Duelists have always been good, especially if you could find one that had the Fatigue to use an Orc weapon, and Disarm is at least borderline broken imo.

Also, re: Student - your guide makes it sound like it's a "first pick or skip it" decision. You need 300 XP to go from level 2 to 3. For reference, a Brigand Thug is worth 150. On the other hand, the early game is tough, and obviously especially so for a new player. And low level bros are fragile; delaying potentially life-saving Perks (Adrenaline/Colossus/Rotation) is not worth a short term XP boost that won't matter much in the long run. Which it doesn't; if you take Student at level 4 instead of 2 you miss out on ~200 XP. You reach level 11 at 15k. I think Student is almost mandatory to ensure at least your surviving early game bros reach 11 around the time the first crisis starts but I only let archers and banner bros take it as a first pick, in part because the first tier of Perks doesn't have anything for them that they want immediately.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

Headhunter is a trap. It only does something if you've hit the body before, so it often contributes to spreading damage around. And most enemies worth building for have good helmets: Ancient Dead all do, Orc Warriors generally do although there is a low level Orc Warrior variant that sometimes doesn't, Fallen Heroes usually wear helmets, noble troops with the obvious exception of Sergeants often have better helmets than body armor.

Yeah, I was just trying to fill out that section with some sample builds that

1) weren't the standard stuff like berserkers or shieldwall bros

and

2) didn't rely on overwhelm

and I only had so many ideas!

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Hey thanks this is helpful! I think under “reach advantage” did you mean to say adrenaline, not anticipation?

I was wondering, does the bonus from brawny allow you to wear heavier armor while staying under the 15 fatigue limit for nimble?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Koldenblue posted:

Hey thanks this is helpful! I think under “reach advantage” did you mean to say adrenaline, not anticipation?

I was wondering, does the bonus from brawny allow you to wear heavier armor while staying under the 15 fatigue limit for nimble?

thanks yeah I'll correct that

technically it would but it's a percent based reduction so it'd only save you a few points so it's probably not worth it, you're better off just finding a good famed armor piece instead.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

I just re-read the in-game description for nimble, and brawny doesn’t affect it. You’re right though, it would hardly be worth it really.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
rofl, like 80 days after I took a bribe to break a contract and betray the Sun faction during the noble war, they turn on and attack me after I take a contract to take apart an orc camp for them. We're in the orc war now guys! It's supposed to be team up time now!

Now Sun is hostile but my team is so advanced now they're all just loot pinatas

fortunately I still have that dandy greatsword I got for betraying them and yay it does bonus armor damage, so, convenient

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I can't really wrap my head around the types of units I should have in an army, and what stats that I need/want for their roles. I'm completely new to this game and honestly, I don't know what's good other than that onehanded weapons seem weak but if they don't have a shield your units die like flies. With shields they die only slightly less quickly.

I honestly don't want a billion different subtypes because the nuance will get lost, just - what are a few (3-5) basic types of units and the stats designed for them?

My assumptions - 5 shield units with whatever melee is available.
the rest of the front line - 4 axe or other two handed units
then ranged units - hay forks and crossbows - are bows any good at any point because I have not had any kills or even decent damage with bows, whereas crossbows tend to murder when they hit.

BUT I have no clue what stats are important for these roles (other than melee for ... melee and ranged for crossbows), and what number makes a good recruit in this regard - is 40 melee good, bad? Is 80 fatigue good or bad? etc.

so some guidance if at all possible for making sense what my ragtag gang of cannonfodder is worth, and what gear and battle role to give them, so I don't end up with ~2+ deaths per battle.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

double nine posted:

I can't really wrap my head around the types of units I should have in an army, and what stats that I need/want for their roles. I'm completely new to this game and honestly, I don't know what's good other than that onehanded weapons seem weak but if they don't have a shield your units die like flies. With shields they die only slightly less quickly.

I honestly don't want a billion different subtypes because the nuance will get lost, just - what are a few (3-5) basic types of units and the stats designed for them?

My assumptions - 5 shield units with whatever melee is available.
the rest of the front line - 4 axe or other two handed units
then ranged units - hay forks and crossbows - are bows any good at any point because I have not had any kills or even decent damage with bows, whereas crossbows tend to murder when they hit.

BUT I have no clue what stats are important for these roles (other than melee for ... melee and ranged for crossbows), and what number makes a good recruit in this regard - is 40 melee good, bad? Is 80 fatigue good or bad? etc.

so some guidance if at all possible for making sense what my ragtag gang of cannonfodder is worth, and what gear and battle role to give them, so I don't end up with ~2+ deaths per battle.

Jump forward to "building better bros: basic builds"

archers are like wizards, they suck at first and clean up late game.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

CommissarMega posted:

And it would be historically accurate. Condottiere were infamous for suggesting that towns give large gifts in return for not being sieged. And Machiavelli complained endlessly about mercenary contractors would make noises after a great victory about how it would be a shame to if they failed to negotiate a contract extension, and the mercenaries were forced to work for the other side after their current contract ended.

Osci
Oct 11, 2016

My only disagreements are probably more down to preference.

I really like gifted and would take it on basically everyone if I could. I feel like it's mandatory on archers and banners where just 1 stat really matters. I wish I could take it on everyone else because +3 attack/defence and padding a third stat is just really good, especially early.
I have similar feelings about backstabber, but that's much harder to fit in. Nowadays I only really use it on polearm brothers.

I also kind off disagree with throwing weapons being a late game thing. They're great in the early game where basic javelins can really hurt raider-type enemies. A thrower can also be endgame ready much earlier than anyone else as you just need to hunt reavers for a bit.
The biggest downside is that it cuts into your early ranged recruits, but I've started to build most of my archers as throwing/bow hybrids, with only 1-2 pure bow snipers for necros.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I also always take gifted now, not just for the extra melee/def but the max roll fatigue or a guy with good everything but lovely resolve, etc. It’s a way to shore up a stat a bit more and I just find that is always useful compared to a lot of the situational perks.

But I also use the vet levels mods now so YMMV.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 8, 2019

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
if you do the lone wolf stary, what do you pick for your level up stats/perks right at the start?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I remember how loving terrible managing your kingdom was in M&B Warband. I'm glad Battle Brothers limits itself to doing one thing well; I don't want to seize any towns.

double nine posted:

For a long time you use whatever you get. Polearms, swords and flails are good for the midgame because they give accuracy bonuses while still doing good damage. Spears on the flanks are okay as well but ultimately fall off quickly.
A Battle Forged melee bro should have at least 60 HP, 120 Fatigue, 80 Melee Skill, 50 Resolve and 15 Melee Defense by level 11. Those are the absolute minimum requirements, though, and I'm assuming you take Colossus. Your bros should be better, but they won't all be. Also, if you get some Wildman with 70 base HP, 120 base Fatigue and 3 stars in Melee Skill but -5 base Melee Defense and no stars in it you obviously keep him anyway although he probably won't get to 15. Bros using two-handed weapons want 25+ Melee Defense.
A Nimble melee bro wants 80 HP and 100 Fatigue. Don't make too many of those, they like to die a lot.

Ranged bros want at least 85 Ranged Skill. Beyond that it's kinda whatever. You level Fatigue, Ranged Defense and Initiative if you're going for Overwhelm. The issue with ranged bros is more that you need to find decent recruits. Only Hunters, Poachers and Witch Hunters that cost less than 1,000 are worth hiring.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Molybdenum posted:

if you do the lone wolf stary, what do you pick for your level up stats/perks right at the start?

You want to get your melee atk/def up as fast as possible as you want to be like 75+/30+ as fast as possible. This gets you to the point you can reliably fight a few raiders at a time or manhandle thugs. Since he has 2/3 stars in those you spend every turn. You want to end like 100/40+, this makes him able to beat/tank the vast majority of rough enemies and be the foundation for the next 100 days. At the same time, you should boost resolve to like 60+ if you can, so getting surrounded has a much lower chance of triggering negative morale checks. On that note resolve mind honestly isn’t a terrible choice for the lone wolf if you plan to solo him for a bit, as getting surrounded can trigger wavering/shaken which are huge debuffs (10/20% to all important categories) and getting routed ends the campaign.
On a side note, Berserking is a mandatory perk for a lone wolf (and frankly everyone else IMO) because attacking twice per turn is game changing. Especially since with a long/greatsword means those 2 attacks could hit 5-6 enemies.

Since you have 4 perk points at the start I always go student, colossus, gifted and resolve mind/crippling strikes. You can sub in a few different tho, depending on your priorities. It depends on what you’re gonna build for with your recruits

Mazz fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 8, 2019

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

https://www.nexusmods.com/battlebrothers/mods/139/

Also:

Unlike the one above, I actually want this to be balanced. So if anyone would like to playtest this before I upload it, let me know.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Switched sides in the noble war and uh, a pretty good poleaxe

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Jump forward to "building better bros: basic builds"

archers are like wizards, they suck at first and clean up late game.

Is reach advantage bad now? I thought it was considered essential for greatswords but I notice you don't take it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wafflecopper posted:

Is reach advantage bad now? I thought it was considered essential for greatswords but I notice you don't take it

It got nerfed from a percentage based bonus to a flat bonus a few patches ago, so it's still useful, but you're in such a tight premium for perks that you're better off taking Indomitable and just shrugging off every hit instead. Plus, Indomitable makes you immune to stuns and pushes and injuries which are all pretty important vs. DLC content. ANd you're already taking Recover and Adrenaline so you're set up to cycle Indomitable anyway.

I should probably spell that out in more detail in the perk section

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

scales

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wizard Styles posted:

Unlike the one above, I actually want this to be balanced. So if anyone would like to playtest this before I upload it, let me know.

I don't know- I have no problems playing an amoral or immoral mercenary, but moral ineptitude is something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
do you leave your archers in light clothes or do you have them get every level of hand me down from your front line?