Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
THE CPC WILL NO REOPEN THE ABORTION DEBATE

https://twitter.com/bradtrostcpc/status/1147186387478831104?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

https://twitter.com/BradTrostCPC/status/1116201045242392576?s=20

His pinned tweet is even more disconcerting.

His twitter is just all anti abortion pro whatever this schlock is.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

why do ignorant shitfucks always hold their hands like that

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Powershift posted:

why do ignorant shitfucks always hold their hands like that

They read up on power poses.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I guess he wants Canada to be brokebrain like the US on this with things like clinic shootings or a mob of fundie idiots surrounding the clinics.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

apatheticman posted:

They read up on power poses.

Well it makes me want to punch them in the dick, is that the purpose?

Also,

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
lol that the source of the 'protests and death threats' is just some guy from Lethbridge.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I don't know if it holds true Canada wide but our brand of religious fundamentalists intersects nicely with "historically pacifist". The Mennonites are really the only old timey fundies you see around here in the Prairies, and they've been kicked out of a lot of places for draft dodging. Catholics are vocal but largely a joke. The worst I've seen is sign holders and giant billboard type things by the highway funded by the Knights of Columbus.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

autism ZX spectrum posted:

I don't know if it holds true Canada wide but our brand of religious fundamentalists intersects nicely with "historically pacifist". The Mennonites are really the only old timey fundies you see around here in the Prairies, and they've been kicked out of a lot of places for draft dodging. Catholics are vocal but largely a joke. The worst I've seen is sign holders and giant billboard type things by the highway funded by the Knights of Columbus.

A friend of mine has had a bit of a thing with a Mennonite man for having a pride flag at her hardware store, in rural Ontario.

She received a multi-page hand-written letter and everything.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

A friend of mine has had a bit of a thing with a Mennonite man for having a pride flag at her hardware store, in rural Ontario.

She received a multi-page hand-written letter and everything.

holy poo poo

probably got the whole colony riled up, that's like their version of the H-Bomb

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the dangers of small town ontario

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

autism ZX spectrum posted:

holy poo poo

probably got the whole colony riled up, that's like their version of the H-Bomb

Hutterite? :confused:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I am from Michigan originally not Canada but I had to watch this NFB gem every year throughout all of elementary school

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

McGavin posted:

Hutterite? :confused:

Old Order Mennonites had/have colonies around here, they were pretty similar to the Hutterites in some ways. I'm not sure if there are any Mennonite colonies left or if they've all turned into towns now. I want to say there are one or two of the things left, I had a friend who's dad was from a colony and he'd go visit every now and again to check out their woodworking shop. They were one of the first places in the province to have CAD tools and a laser/hydrojet cutter.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Bilirubin posted:

I am from Michigan originally not Canada but I had to watch this NFB gem every year throughout all of elementary school

Seeing that image triggered some long forgotten nostalgic memories of reading that no doubt very problematic colonialist book.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Yeah, I feel like I've seen it before but I couldn't tell you where or how.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I worked with some dudes from alberta and they were adamant that mennonites would pay unrelated, non mennonite men to knock up their daughters to prevent inbreeding.

They also said there was a sheet with a hole involved and the elders would stand around and watch so I think it’s a sack of bullshit :haw:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

J*n K*y being garbage again
https://twitter.com/BillyArmagh/status/1148275490341318657

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

lmao the manitoba pcs first big election promise is that they will take the pst off home insurance

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

why does brian pallister have such a massive interest in the insurance industry??????????? i cant figure it out

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:catte:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 01:10 on Jun 16, 2021

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

grandpa used to have a feed store in creston, all through the thirties 'til the fifties. while he never had any mennonites come into the shop, don't think they ever made it this far out west, he did do business with a lot of doukhobors families. they're kinda like russian quakers, for lack of a better description. generally decent folks from what I've been told, as far as cousin-loving religious fanatics go, but used to argue over the bill something fierce. during the war while rationing was in effect, the grain supply was obviously limited and being so far from anything resembling civilization, it was left to my grandpa to enforce this at point of sale. now doukhobor farms ain't exactly communes, but they're not commercial farming either, supporting large extended family networks almost entirely, sometimes to the number of fifty or sixty people. the grain and feed they were being allotted wasn't near enough to sustain them.

this obviously puts grandpa in a bit of a bind. he wants to be decent. he also doesn't want to get shot, which was a distinct possibility as he was one of two aboriginal men in the town who actually owned a business (the other being my great uncle owning the other half of the feed store. some good ol' boys gassed him dead with ddt in a wheat-field a few years later) and siding with the 'other' 'others' definitely would have increased his chances of catching a bullet. enter the babushkas. for the entire spring of '43, every day he'd get a shipment in, his store would be ringed by an army of completely naked russian women in their sixties on up, yelling and screaming at anyone who tried to get near until there just wasn't anymore grain to sell. no one dared to get in their way, let alone try and put cuffs on them.

apropos of nothing, just anytime people bring up those weirdie european christ cults, I think of that story and smile.

upgunned shitpost has issued a correction as of 22:45 on Jul 8, 2019

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

jfood posted:

Great doukhobor story

I took a BC history class in my undergrad and we read about the Doukhobors. Their use of getting buck-naked as an act of political protest is both hilarious and super effective. When the BC provincial government tried to force all their kids to be educated in the public system, they would get naked and burn down any school built by the state.

Also, sorry to hear about your uncle.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

UBC has been disinvited from marching in the Vancouver Pride Parade because they kept letting TERFs hold events on campus :owned:

quote:

To participate in the Pride Parade, each parade applicant must answer a series of questions which help VPS assess their official policies and support of LGBTQAI2S+ employees and community members. All applications are reviewed and graded against a matrix by VPS's Parade Working Group, made up of community members.

The matrix includes a category examining any recent homophobic or transphobic events and the institutional response. Applicants must receive a matrix score higher than 20 to participate in the Pride Parade.

UBCs booking policy and decision to allow and defend a platform for anti-transgender hate speech has dropped their score below the required score of 20 to participate in the Pride Parade.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
honestly gently caress that bureaucratic gate keeping bullshit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

er, so where do you draw the line on who can participate? or do you allow everyone, rabidly homophobic evangelicals included, march in the parade?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Cool

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

RBC posted:

it's good actually

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

It’s like if the Grinch demanded to be allowed to march in the Christmas parade even though his heart ain’t grown to the big size yet.

Uh, no Grinch. You might be wearing a Santa outfit, but you haven’t shown that you’re down for Christmas yet.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Isn't that why he was the grinch?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the grinch wasn't trying to make bank from the branding.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ebenezer Scrooge red-washing his lending business with Christmas themed advertisements

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I was mostly going for the Grinch as the police but if you want to do capitalism profiteering imagine the Grinch is also selling pride flags and puts a pride coloured rim around his Social media accounts.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

RBC posted:

Pride is a protest, even though it looks like a parade.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

UBC has been brushing off near-unanimous calls from students, staff, faculty and concerned third parties, to stop providing a platform to TERFs and other far-right entities, for over a year. Even Trinity Western University thought Jenn Smith was too controversial of a figure to welcome onto their campus. At this point, given that none of us who care about this are the Chinese government or Bob Rennie, I think a PR black eye looks to be the only way to get the University's attention, and the best way to deliver it is by using a powerful bureaucratic platform like the Pride Society. So this is both cool, and good.

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 02:34 on Jul 9, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
what does the CCP have on UBC? just all the student visas?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

jfood posted:

doukhobors

My girlfriend's dad grew up in B.C and he was telling me these guys did some domestic terrorism too, blowing up bridges and making explosives. When he was growing up he said there was a joke where you'd hold up your hand with the index finger and thumb tucked away (to look like they're missing) and go "look at me! I'm a doukhobor!!"

priznat posted:

I worked with some dudes from alberta and they were adamant that mennonites would pay unrelated, non mennonite men to knock up their daughters to prevent inbreeding.

They also said there was a sheet with a hole involved and the elders would stand around and watch so I think it’s a sack of bullshit :haw:

I've heard this exact story before and my friend who'd go up to the colony swears up and down he'd get stared at by the girls and their old men when he was there. Also apparently when guys went up to do work or something on the colony, supposedly the girls would all be lined up by the side of the road and you'd pick one.

DariusLikewise posted:

lmao the manitoba pcs first big election promise is that they will take the pst off home insurance

Hey! that's not true! They also said that they'd take the PST off tenant's insurance and that the estimated savings will be a whopping $70 per family!

If MPI gets privatized I'm going to start a non profit organization in a province with public insurance and then just register my vehicle there. We'll get together three times a year and clean up a highway or hand out food to poor folks or something to justify it.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

apatheticman posted:

Pride is a protest, even though it looks like a parade.

any protest that uses a matrix to decide who can participate isn't much of a protest at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

problem: matrix is insufficiently punk

solution: poorly xeroxed photos of the faces of the groups you are thinking of excluding, get loving ripped on mouthwash and throw knives at them