Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Roth posted:

That sure isn't going to be a tweet that middle aged white dudes are going to latch on to

It's this one:
https://twitter.com/Turns1701e/status/1147770081285476352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

*the wooshing sound of a boeing 747 jet flying inches overhead*

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Strangely enough, all that guys other tweets are real left wing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

Yeah Thanos put she hulk in a coma at the beginning of civil war 2 and sidelined her for like a year

gently caress, now I'm remembering. Hellcat's previous appearance was in the She-Hulk series where she was Hellcat's employer and close friend. Can't imagine how that might throw the Kate Leth series for a loop.

There's not some other bruiser Bendis could have put in a coma?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

"hey CB we agree, how about full creative control and contracts with mandatory lengths of run- hey wait where are you going?"

E: (and yes in this fantasy CB absolutely does the Naruto run when he leaves)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/sawdustbear/status/1147949785971752961

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Can Beluski really not stop himself from insulting his staff on Twitter? Save the criticism for a summit or something, jeez.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Why do the staff I treat poorly not perform to my standards? :iiam:
You'd think just knowing everyone's gonna dunk on him for the Yoshida thing would be cause for a bit more pause when drafting tweets.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

TheHan posted:

Why do the staff I treat poorly not perform to my standards? :iiam:
You'd think just knowing everyone's gonna dunk on him for the Yoshida thing would be cause for a bit more pause when drafting tweets.

If he had that kind of self awareness he wouldn't have posed as Akira in the first place

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Skwirl posted:

gently caress, now I'm remembering. Hellcat's previous appearance was in the She-Hulk series where she was Hellcat's employer and close friend. Can't imagine how that might throw the Kate Leth series for a loop.

There's not some other bruiser Bendis could have put in a coma?

I think it was done, at least partially, to set up that She Hulk mini where she turns gray. It was pretty well received from what I hear. Also, Bendis probably wanted her out of the way while they killed Banner.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Counting down the seconds till Marvel gets a new editor-in-chief. But, knowing Marvel, they'll get a guy who pretend to serve in the military to knock up a girl who he then cheated on and ultimately has avoided paying child support despite numerous subpoenas or some poo poo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Retro Futurist posted:

"hey CB we agree, how about full creative control and contracts with mandatory lengths of run- hey wait where are you going?"

E: (and yes in this fantasy CB absolutely does the Naruto run when he leaves)
I mean, no creator has full creative control on work-for-hire comics, and there's no reason they should.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Covok posted:

Counting down the seconds till Marvel gets a new editor-in-chief. But, knowing Marvel, they'll get a guy who pretend to serve in the military to knock up a girl who he then cheated on and ultimately has avoided paying child support despite numerous subpoenas or some poo poo.

I don't know. I feel like this is all killing time until Sana Amanat gets the big chair.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Pretty sure we'll see the heat death of the universe before a woman of color is eic of marvel

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

site posted:

Pretty sure we'll see the heat death of the universe before a woman of color is eic of marvel

Isaac "They're Daycamps, Not Concentration Camps" Perlmutter likely won't let a women, let alone a woman of color, (or vice versa) be EIC.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Endless Mike posted:

I mean, no creator has full creative control on work-for-hire comics, and there's no reason they should.

At the very least it'd be nice if they got a say in what happened to characters they're using, if someone else comes along and wants to use them too. Which is pretty much the main thing an EiC should be doing

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

If marketing wants to write the comic then they should state up front they'll be writing the comic themselves and not waste people's time.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

jobbers

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ryonguy posted:

If marketing wants to write the comic then they should state up front they'll be writing the comic themselves and not waste people's time.
If a creator wants complete creative control, they can create an indie comic. Many do, and are quite successful, often more so than they'd be working for Marvel. If you want to work for Marvel, you're at the very least implicitly agreeing that the characters aren't yours, that editorial may have different plans for them, and ultimately you do not and cannot have complete freedom over your work. That's not even getting into smaller concerns about specific types of content that may not be allowed (Wolverine and Nick Fury can't smoke because Joe Q's dad died of lung cancer).

Retro Futurist posted:

At the very least it'd be nice if they got a say in what happened to characters they're using, if someone else comes along and wants to use them too. Which is pretty much the main thing an EiC should be doing
This is a bit more reasonable, at least, but let's also recognize that Hellcat was never selling anywhere near well enough that Big Event Comic wasn't going to trump whatever Leth was doing.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
It kind of seems like communication between editorial and writers could be way better, and at least planned out enough where a writer doesn't suddenly have to deal with a character in a coma they didn't expect to be in a coma. Like I understand that the characters aren't theirs but the way things often pan out just makes it seem like they're really crappy at planning these things out and keeping anyone who needs to be in the know, in the know. It can't be impossible to both have these events and also have them not gently caress up other currently running comics, right?

If it is impossible then something needs to change.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

If a creator wants complete creative control, they can create an indie comic. Many do, and are quite successful, often more so than they'd be working for Marvel. If you want to work for Marvel, you're at the very least implicitly agreeing that the characters aren't yours, that editorial may have different plans for them, and ultimately you do not and cannot have complete freedom over your work. That's not even getting into smaller concerns about specific types of content that may not be allowed (Wolverine and Nick Fury can't smoke because Joe Q's dad died of lung cancer).

This is a bit more reasonable, at least, but let's also recognize that Hellcat was never selling anywhere near well enough that Big Event Comic wasn't going to trump whatever Leth was doing.

Maybe the editors should write the comic then and stop using writers as styluses to mash keyboards. We get it, Big Two means write to editorial demands, but at least acknowledge that the shittiest comics that people hate the most are stupid loving crossovers made to satisfy no one except execs.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ryonguy posted:

Maybe the editors should write the comic then and stop using writers as styluses to mash keyboards. We get it, Big Two means write to editorial demands, but at least acknowledge that the shittiest comics that people hate the most are stupid loving crossovers made to satisfy no one except execs.

And yet inexplicably sell the best.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'm not going to deny that part of the reason they sell well is because there are people who genuinely enjoy them, but isn't part of that also because there are also a number of people who want to know what is happening with the characters they are reading who are pulled into that event rather than true enjoyment?

That was certainly the case with me until I just refused to support those events anymore due to getting fed up with how crappy the writing was.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Endless Mike posted:

This is entirely true, and yet there is a vast gulf of difference between "we decided Nick Fury's gonna quit smoking because Joe Quesada doesn't want to glorify tobacco use" and "hey the character you intended to use as a supporting character in your title, which you pitched and were approved for, is being taken off the board and also we want you to write a tie-in issue wildly inconsistent with the lighthearted tone that we hired you for" and pretending that because the first is well-accepted that means no one should complain about the second is kinda ridiculous.

Work-for-hire is work-for-hire, and everyone goes into it with open eyes; still, there's valid complaints to be made when you don't even get to do the work-for-hire you were hired to do.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wanderer posted:

And yet inexplicably sell the best.

It's not inexplicable, we've been told for 30 years that these are the comics that MATTER.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ryonguy posted:

Okay, I get it, you think creators should be able to do literally anything they want with zero oversight because reasons.

Viridiant posted:

I'm not going to deny that part of the reason they sell well is because there are people who genuinely enjoy them, but isn't part of that also because there are also a number of people who want to know what is happening with the characters they are reading who are pulled into that event rather than true enjoyment?

That was certainly the case with me until I just refused to support those events anymore due to getting fed up with how crappy the writing was.
It's possible, but probably not super likely. It's not like finding out what happened is particularly difficult in 2019. CW2 #0 sold 177k copies, #1 sold 382k, then sales dwindled from there to 106k by the final issue. Clearly people were hoping for a good comic and were turned off. War of the Realms is doing even worse as far as that goes (though given it's functionally the finale to Aaron's Thor - a 40k seller, I imagine there's less broad appeal) with #1 selling 178k and #4 down to 73k.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

This is entirely true, and yet there is a vast gulf of difference between "we decided Nick Fury's gonna quit smoking because Joe Quesada doesn't want to glorify tobacco use" and "hey the character you intended to use as a supporting character in your title, which you pitched and were approved for, is being taken off the board and also we want you to write a tie-in issue wildly inconsistent with the lighthearted tone that we hired you for" and pretending that because the first is well-accepted that means no one should complain about the second is kinda ridiculous.
You're right, which is why I left it as an aside, but I shouldn't have mentioned it at all.

Granted, I think Akira's complaint is stupid as gently caress for the reasons every creator has brought up, and it's the complete opposite of the advice basically every creator - even big name one - has given, which is to front load your first story since it may be all you get, and if you get more, you'll have more ideas.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Endless Mike posted:

Granted, I think Akira's complaint is stupid as gently caress for the reasons every creator has brought up, and it's the complete opposite of the advice basically every creator - even big name one - has given, which is to front load your first story since it may be all you get, and if you get more, you'll have more ideas.

I think that’s the key thing here. I mean what you’re saying is fair, it’s not necessarily a good idea to hand full creative control over, BUT if you aren’t going to do that then don’t publicly complain that your writers seem like they’re rushing to say everything they want to say.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Wasn't Akira just recently complaining on Twitter that all his current inkers were complete poo poo?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Endless Mike posted:

Now he is piggybacking on a comment from Kurt Busiek saying that he felt he jammed too much stuff into his early Avengers comic. And it is a criticism I've seen leveled at TV shows (Sleepy Hollow comes to mind quickly as an example, as does Jessica Jones). Basically, it sounds like good advice and is kind of the eternal push/pull of serialized storytelling. However, it specifically ignores how Marvel handles its lower tier comics, and therefore is just dumb pablum coming from Cebulski meant to sound like the wise man imparting his wisdom, and dude just shut up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't Akira just recently complaining on Twitter that all his current inkers were complete poo poo?

Yeah, I can't find the specific tweet but honorable Yoshida-san was complaining none of the current inker crop was as good as somebody Back In The Day. Which I guess is the Edo Period.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's not really fair to blame Cebulski for Civil War II (because AFAICT he just wasn't involved, people are more using his tweet as an opportunity to vent at long standing issues with Marvel), I think the more pertinent point here is that if he wants to moan about stuff like that he needs to put his money where his mouth is and change the industry practice to encourage (and not punish) the behaviour he wants.

The inker tweet is here

https://twitter.com/CBCebulski/status/1087924388031283201
https://twitter.com/CBCebulski/status/1087925301257089026
https://twitter.com/CBCebulski/status/1087926820765339648

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 8, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Axel Alonso was EiC for CW2, so while Leth's ire is correctly directed at Akira for his statements, it's more generally directed at his position.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Notwithstanding his and marvel's position for the smaller titles and creators, Cebulski, even if he isn't naming names, is being incredibly unprofessional with these tweets.

The stuff in his tweets are thing that should be talked about behind closed doors with the staff, you don't go on loving twitter and say "Boy some of my staff really sucks at inking and storytelling"

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 8, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Monaghan posted:

Notwithstanding his and marvel's position for the smaller titles and creators, Cebulski, even if he isn't naming names, is being incredibly unprofessional with these tweets.

The stuff in his tweets are thing that should be talked bout behind closed doors with the staff, you don't go on loving twitter and say "Boy some of my staff really sucks at inking and storytelling"

The dude pretended to be a Japanese man in order to get work he wasn't contractually allowed to do.

He's not what anyone would consider a professional.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I don't think I've ever read a big honking crossover except to understand what's happening in the singles books

spider-man got all up in civil war and I had to read parts of civil war

juggs got pulled from thunderbolts, I had to read the... uh... whatever the evil asgardian hammers thing was to figure out where he went

I was kind of half rear end interested in civil war but as was pointed out, I can only be fooled so many times and I went from "actually enthusiastic about crossover" to "just googling to see which books my boy juggernaut are in" to "I'll just hope someone updates the wiki, I'm not reading civil war II" to "I am no longer reading marvel books"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you know it's funny, for how much comicsgate complains about how marvel is letting sjws ruin comics, they sure are coming out in droves to defend akira in the replies to that thread

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

you know it's funny, for how much comicsgate complains about how marvel is letting sjws ruin comics, they sure are coming out in droves to defend akira in the replies to that thread

"i can't believe you people keep calling him akira like it's some kind of gotcha." Which is of course it is a gotcha, just one they're too smooth-brained to comprehend.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

site posted:

It's standard tactics for when they are trying to recruit a guy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's almost like it's based around an ethical framework that empowers authority and white supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
This book is never coming out

https://twitter.com/SjwSpiderman/status/1148421082829004802